Ooh now that is a tough one. My favorite DQ or my favorite FF. I think in the end I'd have to edge out FFIV. Say what you will about the rest of the series, but FFIV was a work of genius. Probably also have to favor it because I do 100% speedruns of it and know it so well.

100% speedruns, you say? What exactly constitutes 100% in FFIV? All sidequests completed and the like?

My definition of 100% for FF4 is getting all the summons (barring Goblin, Cockatrice, Mindflayer, and Bomb), getting every treasure chest (and I believe I know the locations of all the hidden items in the game), and completing the Cave of Trials once. I don't include getting all the weapons in the Cave of Trials or Lunar Subterrane (because one would require multiple trips and Dark Bahamut is really hard at low levels) and I don't include the Lunar Ruins because that's post game.

My definition of 100% for FF4 is getting all the summons (barring Goblin, Cockatrice, Mindflayer, and Bomb)

1337543156997.jpg

Using a unfair judgement, since I've never played FF 4 and the fact that my favorite boss monster, Necrosaro (psaro), is in DQ IV i'm going to have to go with DQ.

Seriously though, if it wasn't for Necrosaro in dragon warrior monsters, I would have never even tried the game, which made me try one of the main series games, which made me love the series.

The worst Final Fantasy versus the best Dragon Quest? Pssh, easy choice.

i second that,

FFIV basically is one of the best ff from all ff series while DQIV is a good one, but not the best one from all...

its a matter of opinion of every people duh...

Two thumbs up for DQIV! I haven't tried FF4 yet; I heard that the remake is really awesome, but my hands are full with other games.

The worst Final Fantasy versus the best Dragon Quest? Pssh, easy choice.

i second that,

FFIV basically is one of the best ff from all ff series while DQIV is a good one, but not the best one from all...

its a matter of opinion of every people duh...

O_o... I think you misread my statement...

My first RPG I ever played was Final Fantasy VI. It is what hooked me to the RPG Genre and VI was my favorite (along with Chrono Trigger, Shining Force and Phantasy Star). If I would have to choose though, I would buy them both and love them equally.

Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IV each had their awesome stories and DQIV to me had an advantage that you could choose your gender (like you could with DQIII) which was pretty awesome to me at the time.

During my RPG adventuring years, I tried out FFIV and I also loved the game, it had a good battle system, the character story was good (you spoony bard!) and up until the end, I really felt like I wanted to continue their journey even AFTER the ending. So, in the end, it would be too hard for me to choose one or the other. 

I like both dragon quest and final fantasy. I have the zenithian trilogy on the DS and DQ9. FF7, FF3 DS, FF6 advance, and FF tactics advance. I have beaten Dragon Quest IV a few times, bt have never played FF4. The one thing that interested me about Final Fantasy 4 is that you can have five people in your party which is something that I have not seen in another RPG as f right now. I might play final fantasy IV at some point but for now I am final with DQ4

You should try playing any of the Romancing SaGa titles, though you've got 6 slots I believe, or it's different for each one?  It's been awhile.  Or for the DS, there's the Etrian Odyssey series, which has a 5 party member cap, right off the bat.  Great games as well, and definitely one of the most unique Turn-based experiences you'll ever have.  They're also doing remakes for the 3DS, with the first game already done, and the second I think is nearly so, or it's already been released.

Three years late to the topic at hand here but I adore both FF 4 and DQ 4. Between the two I am more attached to FF 4 as it was my first RPG ever and so I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I think FF 4 is probably better across the board (story, game play, characters, graphics, and. music) but DQ 4 is certainly no slouch. I loved the chapters aspect of the game and the game's characters (although they are not near as defined as those in FF 4).

I think DQ 4 is one of the better DQ games to suggest to new players as DQ 1-3 are pretty archaic by today's standards and the DS and mobile versions of DQ 4 are very newbie friendly. I'm split on what. Y favorite version of FF 4 is though. I think the PS1 Chronicles version is probably the best but it's easier to come across the PSP and 3D versions as they are playable on modern machines. FF 4: The Complete Collection looks and sounds nice but it's a bit too easy in the beginning parts of the game. The DS/mobile version is too slow-paced but overall a very high quality remake. The smartphone version of FF 4 is my favorite after the PS1. Both FF 4 and DQ 4 are awesome on iOS and Android. Between those two versions I still gotta say FF 4 is the overall better game.

Also as much as I love Psaro but Golbez is the bigger and better bad ass of the two.

FF4's major deus ex machina plot line has always bothered me. Finding a giant mechanical whale that takes you to go get a previously unmentioned crystal on the moon... Maybe I missed the setup there and it all makes sense if you talk to a few random NPCs somewhere... It was just totally random and jarring relative to the established world and in game lore.

... but he had played and enjoyed 7 and 8. Really, if you only like TWO games out of the series, you're not a true fan of the series. That's what I think anyways. But I asked his opinion of Dragon Quest and he said he had only tried one game.

First and foremost you are right, I call these jumping on the FF 7 bandwagon because everyone else is , fanboys.  People who always claim " 7 or 8 " is the best in the series are not true FF fans at all, I might get blasted for this but I don't care. 7 to me sucked It was garbage. And before anyone asks, yes I have beaten it unfortunately a waste of my time. That being said though I am diehard DQ , FF 4 was my favorite of the FFs and I have played them all  ( even tested 12 I'm in the credits go check it out  :P ) except the -2s like X-2. Also to say that Dragon Quest 4 had no story is he mad? It was ALL story, he must be one of those people who just talks to random NPCs just to continue the progression without reading anything. Basically if you can't watch a cutscene there is no story...right? Anyways DQ is all story orientated and that is why I love it. 5 especially, 3 generations of awesomeness. And as for remakes, they are horrible. Parchisi? Give me a break. Originals are always better, in either game franchise. I would play the NES versions anyday of 1 - 4 then anything else. But to answer the question at hand which is really hard to do because of the fact they are both epic stories, I sadly have to go with FF 4 on this one. DQ 4 is awesome but it doesn't compare to the epic tale of FF4.

I like FFIV because I played that one first and it's more nostalgic to me.  DQ IV is just a lot of fun with a simple unique story.

I probably would choose FFIV just because my favorite character Prince Edward who happens to be a Bard in it among many others.

Nothing is wrong with FF 7, other than it being overrated. At the core it's a solid game. It is in dire need of updating though (at least the character models and the translation/script).

I do consider it to be one of the weaker FF games however. It's easy to dismiss the game today for its faults and its overzealous fanboys but back in 1997 it was really something else. Whether or not it stands the test of time as the greatest game ever is up the individual. Personally I'd take FF 7 over DQ 7 any day of the week and this is coming from someone who ranks FF 7 towards the bottom of the "mainline" FF list (not counting crap sequels like 10-2 and the FF 13 sequels though lol).

I think both FF and DQ are fantastic and they both have their ups and downs. Some FFs are better than others and some DQs are better than others. But the FFs and DQs that really hit home to me (FF 6, FF 12, DQ 5, and DQ 8 being my favs) are without question some of th finest games of all-time.

I do agree with the notion that the origin versions of the classic DQ and FF are often times better. They tend to lose something In the remakes and remixes. While all the enhancements are nice there is something fiendishly awesome with plowing through the OG versions. The fact that the remake versions are almost always easier takes a lot away from the feeling of accomplishment you get when you take on a NES or SNES DQ or FF game. FF 4 is really the only example I can think of where the remade version is more difficult than the original.

• Upvote 1

Nothing is wrong with FF 7, other than it being overrated. At the core it's a solid game. It is in dire need of updating though (at least the character models and the translation/script).

I do consider it to be one of the weaker FF games however. It's easy to dismiss the game today for its faults and its overzealous fanboys but back in 1997 it was really something else. Whether or not it stands the test of time as the greatest game ever is up the individual. Personally I'd take FF 7 over DQ 7 any day of the week and this is coming from someone who ranks FF 7 towards the bottom of the "mainline" FF list (not counting crap sequels like 10-2 and the FF 13 sequels though lol).

I think both FF and DQ are fantastic and they both have their ups and downs. Some FFs are better than others and some DQs are better than others. But the FFs and DQs that really hit home to me (FF 6, FF 12, DQ 5, and DQ 8 being my favs) are without question some of th finest games of all-time.

I do agree with the notion that the origin versions of the classic DQ and FF are often times better. They tend to lose something In the remakes and remixes. While all the enhancements are nice there is something fiendishly awesome with plowing through the OG versions. The fact that the remake versions are almost always easier takes a lot away from the feeling of accomplishment you get when you take on a NES or SNES DQ or FF game. FF 4 is really the only example I can think of where the remade version is more difficult than the original.

I think you and I are definitely on the same page of which games are some of the best.  I love FFVI - Terra, Locke, Setzer, Celes, and King Edgar were my favorite characters and especially that dramatic suicide scene.

FF XII - I think that game is underrated, it was hard but definitely worth the play through.  I really enjoyed that one.

DQ V - Probably one of the most underrated DQs, it had one of the best storylines and I love how they added Deborah to the choice of wives.  I wished they could have at least matched the graphics of the DQ V for the PS-2.

DQ VIII This one is actually my favorite which most people can surmise since I'm basically combing through the game and adding content to it.

There's only a very small number of FF and DQ titles that I don't feel live up to the series' standards (DQ 6 and FF 13 being my least favorite of each franchise), but even the weaker ones are better than most other JRPGs on the market.

FF 6, FF 12, DQ 5, and DQ 8 are just legendary though. I simply adore those games. There's plenty of other FF/DQ games that I consider truly outstanding but not to the level of those specific four. FF 4, 5, and 9 (slow battles aside) and DQ 3 and 4 are nothing but amazing memories to me. DQ 9 is pretty great too but a bit of a letdown following DQ 8.

I really enjoy DQ 7 but I have to be in a very certain mood to attempt it. It's a very demanding game.

I like FF 7, 8, and 10 enough but it's really FF 1-6 plus 12 for me lol. FF 1 and 2 and DQ 1 and 2 hold up well enough but they are just too basic compared to the rest of the games. Still I love to tackle FF 1/2 and DQ 1/2 on occasion.

I really wish that FF 12 and DQ 8 signaled the future of both of those series but sadly FF 13 and DQ 9 were disappointing follow-ups even though they are both good overall (don't get me wrong though; DQ 9 >>>>>>>> FF 13 lol).

I liked the first HALF of FFVII. What they did with Cloud near the end really soured me. I also think Shinra were great villians with Seprioph as meh at best.

FFIV followed by FFVI was their best, as was tactics. FFIX is the most underrated. I like IV, VI, IX, I, and XII in that order. II was too unbalanced. III I got frustrated with at the end with the big boss (and LONG time before saving). V was alright. VII was a great first half and weaker 2nd half. VIII was alright. X I couldn't stand. XIII was boring. The online ones I never played. 

Out of DQ, the only one I considered mediocre was DQIX.

The online ones I never played. 

If you ever get a chance, I would especially if you like FF series. 11 is going away end of this year so I wouldn't start there, but 14 is going strong, has a new expansion coming out soon which is adding 2 classes, and the yalready have tons of awesome classes all with individual storylines that crossover towards the end. Plus I like how they added FF1 rattail classes from Thief to Ninja, very awesome.

The online ones I never played. 

If you ever get a chance, I would especially if you like FF series. 11 is going away end of this year so I wouldn't start there, but 14 is going strong, has a new expansion coming out soon which is adding 2 classes, and the yalready have tons of awesome classes all with individual storylines that crossover towards the end. Plus I like how they added FF1 rattail classes from Thief to Ninja, very awesome.

Err, FF11 is not "going away" by any stretch.  Just console support.  I expect it will stick around for another 5~10 years, if not longer, if it can keep a consistent base around the level it has right now (which is higher than most MMO's, who have about 5~10,000 players, maybe 70~80% of those core, and 30~20% turn-over/new).

However I would say FF14 is supposed to be excellent, and I would be playing it atm if I had the ability to.

Going into FF vs DQ.

Both series add new things, but DQ is about refining, and retaining much of its core.  FF, though some of the core does remain to this day, is always trying to recreate itself in a new image, doing away, often permanently, with any great system created in one game, in the subsequent followups.

FF4 I'd take over DQ4 most of the time.  Oh, I love both.  DQ4 is simple, easier to get into, and is a quick romp around the bend.  FF4 takes more patience, time, and a lot more consideration and planning.  There's more story, more characterization, and a lot more to be found in the game (especially the DS version), such as special weapons, and then there's stat maxing, which is built into the character development system in one way or another (removed in the PSP release).  DQ4 is just...plug, play, and keep moving through.  There's more focus on individual territories, and smaller elements, and there's a lot of easter eggs and quirky things to find, such as the special dreams at Inn of Straithbaille.

Plus, FF4 has Golbez, and the storyline between him and Cecil, not to mention his iconic music, is enough to trigger a desire to replay FF4 all over again.  Just from that.

If I want a pick-up game though, DQ4 would be my preferred go-to if I had to only these two games to choose.

Warning, this is a very long post, and a huge rant on FF7.

I have to agree, FF7 IS a good game, or rather, there's a good game in there.  I tend to see it as an overly ambitious project with too many ideas jumbled together (strange that CT made this work, but FF7 was all over the place, despite both being based on the same concept, of an alien "god" that sucks the life out of a planet to become all powerful, and CT having far more).  I hate the ending...planet kills all humans, regardless that 90+% have nothing to do with Mako abuse, and regardless that Jenovaroth was created by a small group of corrupt humans and was stopped by other humans, and most of the problems resulted from nescience (yes, that's right, they LACKED the knowledge, and it wasn't that they were ignorant, and by the time they were, Sephiroth was already created).  Not much of a motherly way of approaching a mistake that could only have gone one way, unless the knowledge of the Ancients was well known enough, and the stories carried forward long enough to allow full comprehension of what Jenovah really is before the understanding of what it is, and correcting it.  So basically, any mistake that could not be avoided as an intelligent species grows, is grounds for automatic extinction.  What a way for a species to grow!  What's the point in allowing any species to develop and progress?  Why bother with having a universe?  I really don't know what insanity and environazi pill Kitase swallowed, or why even the Guch would allow for such an ending.  It's like giving parents the right to strangle their child if they happen to accidentally burn down the house, because they were never taught what a lighter is, and happened to find Dad's lighter, then played with it.  It's something the child wouldn't know about, and there would be no other potential ending as a result of this.  Hell, even Shinra pulled the plug on the Jenovah Project after realizing the potential dangers.  Mako energy makes no sense either, as spiritual energy is infinite, and ever replenished, and this is an undercurrent of truth carried through in EVERY culture.  There never is an end to the concept of spirit, so the idea that Mako would drain the planet and kill it makes no sense, given it IS spiritual energy.  Granted it's fiction, but good fiction follows concepts inherent in history and human behaviour, and often adds in elements of universal truths and principles inherent in all civilizations.  Otherwise it just feels...off.  Fiction is technically a mirror of reality, warped to tell a story in a different setting, so it doesn't work if the mirror is removed and the story is 100% opposite of the reality it is attempting to mirror.

Then there's the issue with the characters.

Aeris' sacrifice is no sacrifice at all.  It was a pointless gesture done to force the party to be motivated to do what it was already planning on doing.  She even knew she could not accomplish her goal, and in the act of doing so, gave Jenovaroth everything it wanted.  Cloud's breakdown made no sense either.  HE WASN'T first class, meaning he was never injected with Jenovah's cells to begin with, but they tossed this predicament away, and stated he did, without giving a reason for why he would have been.  Oh, right, because he defeated Sephiroth?  If so, why wasn't he brainwashed by Shinra to become their perfect soldier?  Why wasn't he THE focus of the storyline?  A mere 3rd class bests Sephiroth, gets Jenovah cells, and nothing?

Heck, they couldn't keep their story straight on Mako in relation to Sephiroth/Jenovah.  According to the game, the only cells the planet cannot break down are Jenovah's, as they are alien.  Sephiroth is mostly human, but is the first to be injected, from an early age, with Jenovah's cells, meaning he grew up with them longer.  However, at the time of the Nifflehiem incident, he is still Sephiroth, just enhanced by Jenovah's Cells.  We're not even told how this is possible to have "alien cells" injected into a human, not turn them into an alien, and they remain human and in symbiositic relationship, when the planet cannot exist in symbiosis with Jenovah, nor can the very essence that apparently makes up all life on the planet, Mako, exist in symbiosis.  We're even told that any living creature from Earth that happens to stay in the Lifestream/Mako for an extended period of time (we're given the implication it's far less than a day), will be broken down immediately and absorbed back into it, meaning that Sephiroth's three year stint assures there are NO human Sephiroth cells.  So nothing that made Sephiroth, Sephiroth, is left.  All that is left is Jenovah.  I should also state that Jenovah's cells are given sentience in that they are one organism, like "The Thing," that are always in constant communication with one another, and simply take over, as in they are their own being.  So based on the very nature of Jenovah's Cells, and the nature of the planet, there never was, is, or could be a Sephiroth in the main game.  It is simply Jenovah remaking Sephiroth's body, and yet the writers insist it is Sephiroth, yet like all the other plotholes and blatant inconsistencies in every asset of the storyline, including all the characters, is never addressed, explained, and we're supposed to accept that somehow Sephiroth made the impossible, possible.  This is especially vexing when we're led to believe that Cloud, who is also infused with the cells of Jenovah, would indeed be dismantled in the Lifestream/Mako.

The more I think about FF7's story after Midgar, the more I realize how much I hate the story, and loathe the characters.  Everything leading up to the bulk of the game is great.  It's intriguing, it's actually consistent.  Even up to Junon, it's still relatively consistent.  The second the battle in Junon starts, the whole story unravels, and everything falls apart.  Not even piecemeal either.  They just dump everything that happened before, and pretend like it's still relevant, but yet it isn't.  It just gets deeper and deeper down the shithole of plothole heaven from that point forward.

I won't even touch on Yufi, and Wutai, and the clear issues and inconsistencies with Vincent, and the whole Lucrecia-Hojo love storyline.  No seriously, it's too batshit crazy to really fit, almost like they knew they had to wedge something deep in there to "help" lemiwinks players find their way out of the dark warren of multicoloured brown in the dark abyss that is FF7's story.

I'm not saying there isn't a good story in there.  Oh, quite the contrary.  There is.  Heck, there are even a few good moments of actual character development that were mostly ruined I just wish they kept their poo together before blowing their binge eating all over the canvas, and hoping that players will figure out why they failed to put Chocolate Sauce on their bloody icecream, or cheese on their burger, or teriyaki on their damn chicken!

Heck, FF7's "we had so many bloody ideas we shoved them all down your throat, NOW LIKE IT!" is all over the place in the gameplay itself.  Bracers with special functions that don't work right (still don't in any version!), like that special bracer only stolen from Rudy in the final battle against Rufus' personal trio of hitmen.  Yep, it grants NO elemental reductions or protections.  It's supposed to though, but someone fudged up!  Even stats are fudged up, and do not work properly.  Well, not all of them anyway.  Oh, and no version that I'm aware of fixes stat bugs either.  It's like they're too worried about doing anything to the game, it's too sacred a cow, and even broken and borked to no end, it shouldn't be touched!  Just rereleased for more money soaking goodness.  Mmmm-mmm-mmm, we're supposed to be lovin' it (well I'm not).  Though I really like the materia system.  I just wish the Apocalypse sword worked right.

It's such a 180 from FF6, which is about forgiveness, perseverance, heart, and the value of life in all its forms, especially that of human lives.  Not to mention FF7's ending was confused.  I didn't even grasp that humanity was actually destroyed, as it's not specified as a definite.  In a way it's like SaGa Frontier 3, except that's a rebirth of all life, where it's reset and humanity, along with animals are simply reborn and remade after the cataclysm.  Still has a sense of hope and the ability to live and learn.

For all its flaws, there really are some gem-like qualities.  The in-game spells are awesome to behold.  I still love the summons.  Chocobo Racing is a blast, and for all the pain of forcing a Black, then a Gold, it's fun.  I liked Cosmo Canyon, as it was a nice break, and seemed one of the few elements after Midgard, that fit in with the core context of the story.  I really liked Red XIII's character (and Tifa remained relatively consistent, plus she's hot).  I rather liked the Limit Break system, however borked and broken it is (see: Stupidly Powerful).  I LOVE the addition of the dual material slots, and using them to get past the lack of real special abilities, since they allowed defense and offensive output.  So who cared if the special functions didn't always work.  Levels make the greatest impact in damage anyway, and material level actually factored into damage often enough, so...who cared of the magic stat has no affect on magic damage, when the system, as is, already grants insane damage?  I mean, maybe they broke it on purpose, and hadn't the time to retool, because the output was too high with Magic functioning as a stat?  The game is already easier than FF6, and that takes talent given how easy FF6 is.

FF7 really needs a remake, a retool, a repolish.  Heck, I'd take the original game if they just redid the graphics, and assured the world and battle models were the same.

Oh, and I hate One-Winged Angel.  It has to be my least favourite boss music in the entire series.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the amount of creativity thrown into it, but like so many things in the game, I can't get into it.  I actually enjoy some of the music, while in the game, but few of it outside of the game.  Even remixed by the Black Mages (though the battle music's remix is very solid).

It's interesting though, but for me, FF8 does everything right that FF7 does wrong, and everything wrong that FF7 did right.  I actually like the concept of the junctioning system, but not its implementation.  The Draw system for that matter, I'm not a fan of.  I love the twists of buffing the summons.  I wasn't as much of a fan of the limit break system in 8.  For however stupidly powerful 7's were, 8's were 10 notches up.  The equipment system in 8 was also far worse, and without that ability to fully utilize it, it felt a little empty.  I love customization, and 8's junctioning does not really substitute the type of customization 7 had, which I prefer.  Personally I'd rather a bit of both, as I enjoy the idea of playing low level, having no real stat boosts, but still having the ability to boost stats.  8's super bosses were either stupidly powerful (more so than 7's...much, much, much more so), or totally borked and broken utterly due to only two items and one spell (basically 8 forces cheesing, whereas 7's can be beaten normally, and the cheesing in 8 is far "cheesier" than in 7, taking out all the fun I had with 7's bonus bosses).

FF9 is an underrated gem though, but so is 12.

I actually liked 10.  Well, ok.  I liked EVERYTHING about 10 that wasn't one of the following:

1) Tidus

2) Tidus

3) Tidus

4) The story

5) Most linear FF...as in forced linear, until 13.  Yep, 10 is the first "on rails" FF.  13 is a copy of this, but 10 had cities, so players forgive this little quirk and parallel with 13, often going so far as to bury it and pretend it doesn't exist.

6) Auron...I like badasses, but I'm not a fan of Auron.  Perhaps because he was babysitting Tidus, and by default of his character being brought down by Tidus, Auron is just getting a bad rap.  That said, I don't like his story, character, motivations, or attitude.  He feels like an attempt at a John Wayne without the directness and honesty.  I typically like mysterious characters, but Auron seems an attempt to combine too many elements into one, and it just doesn't work for me.  He has a few moments though.

7) Yu Yevon...as a concept.  It just doesn't sit well.

8) Blitzball...don't get me wrong, I LIKE the idea.  I actually enjoy playing it.  I just don't enjoy that the other teams level up with my team, and my stat growth in the game is a form of FF2, where it's luck based, and I have to hope I not only boost one stat, but boost multiple, meaning I have to prolong games just to get good growth, and force players into multiple roles just to keep on par.  As is, it's less about my skill and more about my luck, as opposing teams are more often favoured with higher stat growth all around, granting them a distinct advantage at the end.

I actually like the rest.  I have some quirks about the summoning system, but nothing about it bothered me.  I enjoyed the sphere grid system, and while it takes forever to obtain the right spheres, it certainly adds a twist on the concept of player-controlled growth.  Not to mention the customization of weapons and whatever you're wearing on your hand or wrist.  Basically it combines a similar system to materia (sort of, at least in the sense of adding special traits) to equipment, that affect the outcome of battle, and a similar stat/development system to 8's junctioning system.   Plus the forced turn stopping made the game a bit more relaxed.  I rather enjoy the return of the Chemist system from 5, and I thought the Blue Mage system was one of the more balanced and useful.

FF6 is of course, brilliant.  FF4 is a classic.  FF5 is a riot, and a fun one at that.  FF1 is flawless.  FF2 is different, but I actually enjoyed the stat system (especially the remakes).  FF3...meh.  FF12 is my second favourite game of all-time, and I would definitely classify

Both are great games.  I would choose DWIV-NES first, then FF4-SFC/SNES, then DQIV-DS.  I just like the characterization, music, and chapter-based storylines from IV, but it loses points with me in the remake because of the addition of localized accents.

Edited by Liamland

Err, FF11 is not "going away" by any stretch.  Just console support.  I expect it will stick around for another 5~10 years, if not longer, if it can keep a consistent base around the level it has right now (which is higher than most MMO's, who have about 5~10,000 players, maybe 70~80% of those core, and 30~20% turn-over/new).

Yeah I was tired and did not clarify more on it, what I meant to say and this is quoted from SEI, that FFXI will not have any more main story or progression after Nov 2015. That is on any console or PC, so to a lot of fans that means "The End" of FFXI. I myself stopped playing around 2004 when EQ2 launched.

Truthfully I detested the materia system in FF7. Far too time consuming. The story was layered and complex, which kept me wanting to learn more. Yes, the constant confusion I suffered actually wanted me to dig deeper. It was certainly not the most entertaining story I've ever encountered, but I liked how it messed with my head. The biggest criticism it gets is the exact reason why I enjoyed it. Sometimes you just wanna get mind-#%@*ed. Basically, I found the game to be a series of cheap thrills. I like cheap thrills. As for the big deal made over Aeris' death- the music is what made it work.

FF6 had the far easier (hence highly superior) Esper system. Unfortunately, its villain was a wanna-be Emperor (of FF2). Some goofball that suffered a mind alteration gets lucky. The poisoning of Doma reminded me of the Three Stooges short "You Nazty Spy", only the Stooges were actually funny. I had no issue of Kefka being depicted as weak in the earlier parts of the game, but he struck me as bumbling. He was ruthless enough, but he never struck me as especially bright. If they eliminated the line stating that he suffered mind alteration and boosted his IQ, then I could easier see the Kefka that people brag about. As I see it, he fits better in the FF5 world. If he had an attitude like Jecht or Kuja combined with the aforementioned ruthlessness, I could see him fitting better. 

FF9 had the honorable villian in Garland. He seeks to save his planet, and is unapologetic for his ruthless actions. That gave him more character and depth than the entire build up of Sephiroth or Kefka in their respective games. In the short time you deal with him, he intrigued me more than Kuja could throughout multiple discs. Kuja was a more serious version of Kefka. He was simply a power hungry putz, but he was slick. He also lacked the whole "mind alteration" gimmick Kefka had. And when he destroyed Terra, he destroyed it. He didn't just make a drastic alteration to it so he could rule like Kefka. He made it non-existent. But this goes back to Garland- the true villain who did the evils he did out of perceived goodness. You can't blame the guy. And although he seeked to eliminate Gaia, you can't help but feel for him. All his hard work and care are annihilated into dust. Kefka's world of ruin was repairable. Garland's beloved home planet was gone forever.

As for gameplay, I much preferred FF9's equip/level/add stone system. Easy to use, reasonable time to level. I found it to be a much better game than 7. The medieval style is also a big improvement. Something about sword fighting doesn't really fit in a futuristic setting. Barret and Vincient were the best fits weapon wise in the FF7 world. 

So far I missed a few titles in writing here. FF8 I only played disc 1 of, so I can't fully judge the game. FF 1,3, 4, 5 and 10 I have opinions about, which I'll share at a later time.

I will also share my thoughts on my favorite game in the entire series: Final Fantasy 2. Yes, you read that right.