I was talking about Dragon Quest IV to a friend of mine. I say 'friend' but I use the term loosely for this friend is not a friend of Dragon Quest. This friend is a Final Fantasy nerd. Now I am not against Final Fantasy... completely. I enjoyed Final Fantasy 4. I actually own Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, and 9. But I only enjoyed Final Fantasy 4. FF 1, 2, and 4 I completed, 9 just scarred me mentally. Tried FF10, spent a month in the hospital.

So in my discussion with this 'friend' we were comparing FF and DQ. I was talking about Final Fantasy 10 and how much failure it invoked. He agreed that FF 10 was terrible but he had played and enjoyed 7 and 8. Really, if you only like TWO games out of the series, you're not a true fan of the series. That's what I think anyways. But I asked his opinion of Dragon Quest and he said he had only tried one game.

That game was Dragon Quest IV...and he had nothing nice to say. He was very rude! Saying how the game had no story and that it was a farce! He said a game has to have a strong story in order for him to get into it.

Just look at how much the Japanese love Dragon Quest IV! And Dragon Quest IV has one of the most poignant villains ever, Psaro! And who doesn't love Torneko, he had THREE spin-off games. THREE. What Final Fantasy character has spin-offs? CHOCOBOS that's who! GIANT YELLOW CHICKENS! Torneko's wife should make her hubby a chicken salad for his daily lunch....

Sure, the English translation had those crazy accents and party talk was removed but with a game guide beside me I loved Dragon Quest IV! The game guide had more character bios and town bios and stuff. And the game guide helped me get Psaro in my party. Dragon Quest IV isn't my favorite but I still love it! I love Eliza even as a female hero! Which says things about me that will take another topic discussion....

So what's your thoughts, Dragon Den dwellers? Is Dragon Quest IV a good game or weak? Would you rather play FF 4 or DQ IV? Me, personally DQ IV.

(and for some reason with DQ I always use roman numerals, any other game just numbers, weird habit of mine)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DQIV. Couldn't quite get into FFIV the same way. Besides, Psaro's Final Form's got to be one of my favorite boss designs. And he's hella useful in Joker 2, just saying lol. But as a game overall, DQIV

I didn't think much of DQ4, honestly. It was okay, I guess. Perhaps ruined by the fast I had just replayed 6 immediately before my first play of 4.   Most of the bosses had the same, or very simila

I kiiiiiiinda got carried away, so I'm just going to compact this section...         Guess I should really find something that contributes to the topic at hand... ah... erm...   Oh yeah, you g

I think that DQVI is a strong game, and fun. But I've always preferred FFIV. Mostly because of all the remakes it has.

True. I own the Final Fantasy 4 remake for the PSP, the remake that included the sequel. I first played the game on the DS though. The chibi looks of all the characters always made me giggle. And Cecil is such a beauty queen. Way too pretty. I actually prefer the old fashion bit graphics to the DS look. And Final Fantasy 4 did bring one of the greatest lines of all time.

"YOU SPOONY BARD"

Said in Ragnar speak it would sound something like....

"Och, ya spoon bairn you!"

I enjoyed DQIV, but if I had to choose which of the two to play I'd have to go with FFIV. Just feels like the more appealing of the two to me (I think I might've played it before I got into DQ). They each sorta have edges on the other, like DQIV giving you options with your party, something FFIV doesn't really let you do, but I kinda like FFIV's endgame more. That game's final battle theme kinda trounces DQIV's for me.

Mind, they'd probably both annoy me pretty fast, RNG and all :P I still can't let go of how even the remake of DQIV retains that nonsense with the spells that they had in III. You know, when a spell would choose to have no effect for no reason at all, even if it could do some 140 damage to the same type of monster. Real nice.

And I don't really see the charm in Psaro besides his usefulness as a party member. Not particularly fond of him beyond that.

But yeah, I'd pick FFIV in the end. Sorry, Maya and Meena :P

BUT PSARO CAN DO HARVEST MOON! And equip all those cursed equipment. And hello, HOTNESS. I guess Psaro's a bigger plus for the fangirls than fanboys.

He's also a racist piece of horse manure that had an entire village of likely innocent people killed. I would imagine that as being an unattractive quality, yo, regardless of whether or not he thought what he was doing was right. Chances are there is some big part of his personality and history that I don't know since they skipped out on the party chat in the remake, but I'm gonna stick with what can be gathered from the events in the game and view him as a human-hating jerk who might've had a very slight change of heart by the story's end but still doing nothing to really apologize / atone for all the crap he pulled. Yeah, he's amazing in battles, but that's all I really see being good about him. I suppose his monstrous form is cool, too, though having death magic kinda stinks.

EDIT: In an effort to not derail things here, I'll add that it's probably easier and faster to get through FFIV, although getting wiped out in DQIV is a lot more forgiving then when it happens in FFIV, from what I recall :P

Edited by PantheonSasuke

DQ IV is a decent game, but I personally think have to say I prefer FF IV. I'm a fan of both series, but the comparison is an unfavorable one. DQ IV felt kinda restrictive to me, and while good, is the weakest of the DQ games I've played. You got 8 characters, plus Psaro, but you were kinda stuck with them, whereas the later ones had different ways to customize your party much more, be it skill points, vocations, or recruiting monsters.

Plus, without the Party chat, the characters kinda lost their personality once they joined the party, which really dampened the story for me at times.

Final Fantasy 4, I personally do like a lot. Despite what people say, I really liked the DS remake. sure the graphics were a bit offsetting, and it was a difficult game, but I felt like the voices and some of the re-writes really did add to the story. The augment system was a nice little feature, and honestly, I really liked all the characters. You never got the impression they were Mary-Sue perfect, they had notable flaws, which made them feel relatable.

I also really liked the story. There were parts where it was a little weak, but overall it flowed pretty well for me.

Anyway, Final Fantasy 1+2 didn't age too well, FF X is really a love-it or hate-it type of experience.

When you say IX scarred you, was it bad, or was there something else? Because it was mainly intended as a Nostalgia trip.

Also, if you liked FF IV, FF VI gets even more praise for story and the Espers.

My personal favorite in the series is FF 5. There's little in terms of story, but the job system's pretty cool, and it's a pretty light hearted experience. And I gotta tell you, play the GBA translation if you can. It has some of the most hilarious dialogue ever from a character named Gilgamesh.

Edited by Ring Man

True Psaro does kill the hero's entire adoptive family. That always was a pain with me, letting him live because Rose begs. I can understand Psaro wanting revenge and wanting to strike at Aamon for setting the whole Rose-getting-killed thing up. Aamon is even suggested early in the game to be the one pulling Psaro's strings. Aamon was edging Psaro on so to speak and monsters were siding with Aamon's startegy of letting a crazed Psaro loose. I do love the romance of Psaro and Rose, and often wonder if the game made Rose and Eliza look similar on purpose (aren't they twins PC-wise?). Maybe the hero feels similalry for Rose.

The game should have had more Psaro history though. I think there's more of him in the Japanese version with party talk and all. WHICH AMERICA SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN. But Psaro's history is one of those mysteries the writers like the fans to fill...

Still after killing Aamon the hero and Psaro should have had a fight to finish it off! Revenge for her family and Eliza! And a fight with Psaro in his NORMAL form not the green monster thing. But Psaro does run off after killing Aamon maybe because he didn't want to face the hero? Friendship?

WHO CARES, PSARO IS HOT

And Cecil looks like a chick. And for me Final Fantasy is always full of those Mary Sue characters. Like Rosa. I just couldn't help but know about the love triangle before the first five seconds of her appearance.

Valid point, there were some characters like Rosa who could've been done better, but I really liked characters like Edward, Edge, and Kain.

Despite all the flack he gets for fighting, Edward was a decently written character in my opinion. You really do see him start to grow a bit more as a person, trying harder to be brave and assist everyone.

Edge didn't get much, but I did like his personality, and the occasional snark that came out of him, usually talking to Cid or Rydia

And Kain, not much to say on his personality, but I always just thought he seemed awesome. I've actually managed to solo a lot of hard stuff using Kain. He's like the Chuck Norris of FF IV.

But getting back on track, my main problem again comes back to the relative lack of personality, and back story in Psaro's case, in the absence of the Party chat. FF IV DS also had a little inner thought blurb similar to the Party chat, which at times helped flesh the characters out.

As a whole, I probably would pick DQ as a series, but FF has some of my favorite RPGs in the form of 4,5 and 6. Haven't had a chance to play 7, 9, or 10. I do wanna give 10 a chance, since the people that liked it REALLY seemed to like it.

Also, going back to another question, for what reason did you dislike FF IX? I remember Spoony (named for Edward's title), for example, said it may be a good game, but the art-style turned him off to playing it enough to decide.

DQIV. Couldn't quite get into FFIV the same way. Besides, Psaro's Final Form's got to be one of my favorite boss designs. And he's hella useful in Joker 2, just saying lol. But as a game overall, DQIV. It was just easier for me to get into. I can see why people love FFIV, I just can't seem to love it the same way.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think much of DQ4, honestly. It was okay, I guess. Perhaps ruined by the fast I had just replayed 6 immediately before my first play of 4.

Most of the bosses had the same, or very similar attack patterns in 4, too. Most, if not all bosses from Marquis De Leon onwards used breath attacks as a solid form of area damage. Breath, breath, attack, attack, breath, attack, breath, dead. WTF. That continues right on until Psaro's last form which I just never bothered beating because I was tired of the game.

The characters quickly lose their character due to the omission of party chat. While there IS some choice as far as characters are concerned, Meena is almost essential, and I certainly struggled if I used anyone other than Ragnar/Alena as the primary damage output. The mage characters (Borya, Maya) were just too frail, which you kind of have to put up with on the healers, but the mages is just blegh.

Sadly, I've never actually gotten into the FF series. At all, like, never tried it. Not sure why.

• Upvote 1

To answer the Final Fantasy 9 question.... I haven't completed the game. I played the first three hours because my friend Lori recommended it. She said I'd like it; that FF 9 went back to Final Fantasy's roots. But... just... kind of like Spoony I'm put off by the characters.

The main character in FF 9 is a hyperactive monkey-boy. Literally I mean MONKEY BOY. He has a tail! You just have to accept that YOU HAVE A TAIL. And animal-human-hybrid creatures exist and they are totally normal. Not really hybrids either they're just freaking hippos and rats who walk on two feet! LITERALLY HIPPO PEOPLE. The rat people look kinda cool, but HIPPOS? WHY?

But back to the main character Monkey Boy. He's sorta typical hero type but he's flirty which I thought made him kinda cute. But he's ANNOYING flirty. Like shove your tail up your mouth and shut up already you're not getting any - flirty. The Princess is ok. She's the Disney, "I want MORE!" type but she actually wants to help her country. Her mother is this evil....uh....blob thing that has gone crazy. Like Spoony mentions in his review of FF 10 the character designs are bizarre, but the artwork isn't what put me off. Really it was the lack of interest for me and ALL THE DAMN MOOGLES TALKING. Everytime something new in the battle system appears or a new object or something moves MOOGLES HAVE TO TALK FOR HOURS ON END ABOUT CRAP YOU ALREADY KNOW. I KNOW WHAT A POTION DOES, DAMIIT.

FF 9 does have Vivi and he's a cool kid. A black magic kid thing...? Whatever his outfit is cool. But the characters seem over the top at times, the first five minutes of plot are like "WTF?" and the hippo people will devour you. Also Cid is a king and he's a frog thing.

I'd suggest trying to put more time into FF9. It is a good mix of retro and modern FF.

As for DQ4 vs FF4...are we counting ports/remakes? Because FF4 gets worse each time they port it to another console. Playstation version was dreadful, Advance had some silly meaningless extra dungeon stuff, (though getting to swap in the OTHER FIVE LIVING CHARACTERS is a nice touch and I suppose contradicts my point some) DS made some stupid design changes, and ANYTHING involving the sequel is just better off not mentioned. (And thus the PSP version gets no points for packing in that garbage with what amounts to the GBA version.)

DQ4 DS would be awesome if we hadn't gotten such a weakened localization. The lack of party chat was just disappointing, and I feel would have made it a definitive DS title. Alas, budget concerns and the like...oh well. The playstation version is pretty promising though.

Which would I rather play? Probably DQ4 on the NES or Playstation. Though FF4 SNES is pretty high up there. Guess it depends on how I'm feeling.

As far as individual games go? Eh, both games have their gaping flaws. But both are still pretty good. Don't really have a preference for which is better, as both do some things really well and others questionably.

My opinion on DQIV is pretty obvious, but what about FFIV? Eh, I played it on the PSX, found it okay, but since I played FFVI well before FFIV, it just didn't live up to my expectations (which were absurd considering how awesome FFVI is, but there it is). It probably would have made more of an impact on me if I'd played it when it first came out, but the story didn't really grab me, nor many of the characters. Even watching HC Bailly's Let's Play of the PSP version hasn't inspired me to dust the game off any time soon.

Edited by Sykonee

Sorry, double post. Delete please.

Edited by Sykonee

I agree, many RPGs with a battle system like FF IX's where there are unique or uncommon concepts do take a while to make sure they teach you everything they can.

And, this may be a matter of preference, but, to an extent, I do like when a game has a character start somewhat bratty or unlikeable, as I think it makes the character development all the sweeter, if and when it happens.

I say give it another chance and a little more time. I had a somewhat similar issue with the Mario & Luigi RPG tutorials and the first bit of it, but after those, the game was fantastic.

I haven't played the game myself, but I love many of the classic FF game's I've played, so I do want to give it a shot.

I like both of them. They are the respective first game I beat on each series.

In FF I like characters like Rydia, Palom and Polom.

In DQ I like the chapters, how we get to know each character before the final chapter, the monsters, etc.

In both I love the music.

And to Sasuke, about Pissarro killing the hero's village's people... How many monsters have you killed on your latest playthrough, man?

And to Sasuke, about Pissarro killing the hero's village's people... How many monsters have you killed on your latest playthrough, man?

I kiiiiiiinda got carried away, so I'm just going to compact this section...

Tons, yo, probably like most everyone here (unless they were speedrunning, which would mostly focus on metals) but they weren't at ease in their own little village. In fact, they'd usually be the ones asking for a fight. They won't hesitate to attack if I decide to have everyone defend, and they won't always let me get away if I try to run, whether it be out of kindness, fear, or plain not wanting to be bothered.

Additionally, it's not like they're in any danger of dying out unless they're a boss or something, and even then they might come back. Can't really say the same of most non-monster NPC characters that get the axe (and other sharp implements that can cleave bone), like nearly everyone in the hero's village. So I'm pretty sure there's some big monster church or clinic hidden somewhere where all the monsters reappear, get mocked by the priest that revived them, then have to do embarrassing odd jobs to get back half of the cash they lost before going back on to the field to slobber and antagonize travelers and their grandparents. That's not official, of course, but it would be great if it was.

(It's also entirely possible that they don't actually die at all, given how tameable monsters seem to rise up after a battle is won)

Now, I recall one tamed monster in VII stating how monsters (or at least its own species) are just mindless beasts until they are tamed, and that doing so grants them thought. This sort of eases any worries there might be since what you're doing amounts best to beating up rocks on puppet strings. However, I also know there's a slime in V that states other monsters forced him to attack humans, so it might be something that differs between worlds. While that does make me feel kinda bad, I'm still confident in the whole 'gargantuan monster clinic' thing I made up, and if this also applies to IV then it likely makes Psaro a racist murderer AND a bully to the ones he's claiming to protect. I suppose that much could be pinned on his higher ranking subordinates (like Aamon) if you wanted to defend the guy.

That having been said, I still think the monsters in these games are awesome, and that there's usually more fun in taming them and training them (which can, from what I know, only be done by beating up other monsters unless you'd rather spend days peacefully collecting stat enhancing seeds, which isn't even possible in most games), but battles are a pretty unavoidable part of these games. It still sorta comes down to the fact that the people in that village were in there own place and doing there own thing that, from what I recall, didn't involve randomly attacking another species, while all the monsters swarm across the fields and in dungeons and don't hesitate to attack anyone that shows up, even if they mean well.

(mind, I say that stuff, but you can't really do a lot of 'well' since the games don't give you that option, and a lot of what I argued is probably only like that because it's as much as the game allows, since they're, you know GAMES, of the video variety)

... Huh... I kinda got into something really minor here, didn't I? :P

Guess I should really find something that contributes to the topic at hand... ah... erm...

Oh yeah, you get a spiffy spaceship in FFIV. DQIV gives you a balloon. Wooooooo...?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I like both of the games. I never thought of Cecil as a "beauty queen" character but a guy who really wants to do the right things and take care of his family, but is afraid of turning his back on who he thinks basically raised him. I saw a bit of myself there at times, especially in the early game where he stands on his principles, but used "the dark sword" to do it. I like the stories in both of the game and really can't compare them.

DQIV was missing party chat, but other than that was quite good. I like the five chapters part which is something new to games.

FFIX is my favorite of the modern FF games. I just ignore the tail for now. It kind of has a point late game.

FFX I can't stand. If we need to depend on Tidus to save the world, we're doomed.

Both games are rather limited in terms of replay value. In FFIV, doing the New Game+ twice is a chore, and DQIV's relatively small selection of characters means you'll have used every viable party configuration after a couple playthroughs. As RPG Wizard mentioned, I deeply wish the lost party members in FFIV DS could be reacquired like in the GBA port.

Except Cid. He should have died. Bite me.

All in all, I'd opt for DQ, if only because the endgame dungeon's random battles aren't grueling five-minute ordeals like they are in FFIV.

• 3 weeks later...

I think DQ IV had a cutscene in the beginning where Psaro saves Rose from some humans. The dude has a pretty good reason for hating humans and was probably easy to convince to attack the village.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the FF titles that focus more on exploration, characters and customization. Those being FFV, VI, VIII and X. Also III to a limited extent, but that game has many issues, especially near the end. And while I don't want to trump anyone elses opinion, I honestly don't find the appeal of many of the more popular FF games like FFI, IV, VII, IX and Tactics. They tend to focus too much on story. So much so in fact that the gameplay and characters seem to be an afterthought to the story. When a game is so driven by story that random characters have to die or gameplay has to be stifled so much, it isn't a good thing to me.

But instead of harping on FFIV, let me give you an example of what I mean in the DQ games. In DQVII, you can spent a good 30+ hours leveling Keifer, Gabo and Maribel. But then when you reach one specific point in the story, suddenly these characters are taken away from you. Not because of a new gameplay mechanic or because of a choice you made, but simply because the story forced it. As well, there are a lot of areas in Dragon Quest VII where you cannot explore or proceed without sitting through long periods of forced dialogue, sometimes dialogue that is multiple hours long with no exploration or gameplay in between. This is how I felt constantly in games like FFIV, VII and Tactics. And games like FFVI, VIII and X (along with games like DQIV, V and VIII) fixed these problems by focusing more on exploration, not having 'lol random death' of party members and a lot more balance of skill progression. As well as better stories.

But that's just how I feel.

I have never been a big fan of Final Fantasy 4 myself. I've tried it countless times, and never really seem to get why people love it so much. I really dislike the ATB system, and the characters plainly didn't interest me. To each their own, ofcourse, so I won't say it's a bad game.

DQ4, however, I love immensely. The characters are interesting and the chapters give them a bit more depth, which I think benefits them greatly. Also, Alena.

All it truly misses is the Party Chat, as it was perfect for this game. Oh wait.

FF1 was story driven whereas FF6 was exploration driven? Was that a typo of some sort? FF6 had some pretty good dungeons, but it was very much story driven. FF1 had brutal dungeons, and plotwise... like... one thing happened the entire game.

I never really liked FF4 either. I played through the SNES version, and tried it for a few hours on the DS. I thought the DS had some pretty cool additions, but I didn't like the original enough to actually get and finish the game. The game was absolutely story driven with very little interesting things. The dungeon and exploration aspect was so-so, and the character building aspect was bleh (in the original, I guess there's a bit more customization in the DS remake).

I prefer dungeon crawlers and RPGs that have a cool character leveling system. It doesn't have to be complicated, just fun to level your guys up. Even though those are my preferences, games that lack that can make up for it by being awesome in some other way. FF6's music alone was worth the $80 (haha games were so expensive back then). There are several examples of games that I shouldn't like based on my preferences, but it does other things well enough that I love them. FF4... well it doesn't do that other stuff well enough for me to like it

Anyone played Etrian Odyssey? It almost does the whole dungeon crawling aspect TOO well. ALMOST. The brutality of that game would turn off many people. Luckily I have a stomache for brutal dungeon crawlers

Edited by NoKnuckles

FF1 was story driven whereas FF6 was exploration driven? Was that a typo of some sort? FF6 had some pretty good dungeons, but it was very much story driven. FF1 had brutal dungeons, and plotwise... like... one thing happened the entire game.

Many FF games tell you exactly where to go next, while a few FF games (FFVI and VIII mostly) have a lot of side quests and some story content that you find by exploring, much like you would in a Dragon Quest game. For example, much of the content in the World of Ruin in FFVI, you aren't told where to go and have to figure out where to go by aimlessly walking around and finding people/talking to NPCs. As well, there's a ton of content in FFVIII you can do by exploring outside the main story events, especially finding GFs (Brothers/Diablos/Odin/Doomtrain/Alexander/etc) and a lot of extra story content related to Laguna/Zell/Selphie/Irvine. Whereas in a game like FFIV, you are told pretty much 'go to this town/cave' and 'talk to the king/magus sisters/edge/golblez/etc' for most everything in the game.

At least that's how I view it.