Sign in to follow this  
Saigan

FINALLY some decent grottos!

After months of on and off attempts to get some Moai Minstrels or MKS maps last night I got BOTH. Best part is that I got Luminary completed on the FIRST Moai Minstrel, the boss was the super-easy Sanguinus, and he gave me a map with 6% MKS on the 13th floor. Verified they appear already! :D

Should I bother grinding them with a 6% rate? Or keep looking for a better map for now?

Provided you have large rooms to avoid the other spawns, I would just grind on the MKS's until your Hero can hit Lv. 99+1 in a class. At that point it is my understanding that you can get maps with Platinum King Jewels, which give just over DOUBLE the experience a MKS gives. Or if that is too slow for you, get to the upper 80s or 90s, don't revocate, and you should be able to farm up a grotto with a better appearance rate easily.

I've currently got a grotto with MKS on floor 6, but the appearance rate is still uncommon. I found it better to focus on getting multiple MKS down per battle than getting a better appearance rate. Just my humble opinion and personal preference though.

At that point it is my understanding that you can get maps with Platinum King Jewels, which give just over DOUBLE the experience a MKS gives. Or if that is too slow for you, get to the upper 80s or 90s, don't revocate, and you should be able to farm up a grotto with a better appearance rate easily.

Actually, don't PKJs give just a little under double? I think PKJ = 240000 exp, while 2 MKSs = 240080. Not a big difference, but still :P In any case, I'd probably say stick with fighting MKSs. You can find grottoes where MKSs can appear on the first four floors, while I think any map with PKJs only has them on the 13th floor and higher, and getting that far can be a hassle, especially if the grotto winds all over the place and has tons of long halls. Also, the monsters that appear alongside the PKJs can be a huge pain (mind, the ones that appear with MKSs aren't much better, especially if you're in a fire grotto), and the PKJs themselves can cast Dazzle, which makes things even more annoying. If those things don't irritate you, though, then by all means, go after the silvery gems.

But yeah... the grotto mechanics in this game are kinda dumb. I'd agree with ol' Baramos about getting a character to 99, maybe with a revocation or two, but more so to get a map with better MKS odds and placement than one with PKJs.

At that point it is my understanding that you can get maps with Platinum King Jewels, which give just over DOUBLE the experience a MKS gives. Or if that is too slow for you, get to the upper 80s or 90s, don't revocate, and you should be able to farm up a grotto with a better appearance rate easily.

Actually, don't PKJs give just a little under double? I think PKJ = 240000 exp, while 2 MKSs = 240080. Not a big difference, but still :P In any case, I'd probably say stick with fighting MKSs. You can find grottoes where MKSs can appear on the first four floors, while I think any map with PKJs only has them on the 13th floor and higher, and getting that far can be a hassle, especially if the grotto winds all over the place and has tons of long halls. Also, the monsters that appear alongside the PKJs can be a huge pain (mind, the ones that appear with MKSs aren't much better, especially if you're in a fire grotto), and the PKJs themselves can cast Dazzle, which makes things even more annoying. If those things don't irritate you, though, then by all means, go after the silvery gems.

But yeah... the grotto mechanics in this game are kinda dumb. I'd agree with ol' Baramos about getting a character to 99, maybe with a revocation or two, but more so to get a map with better MKS odds and placement than one with PKJs.

Yep- sadly it is a fire map. I've found most of the enemies to be worse than any of the bosses. Several fights have been extremely close.

PKJ are obnoxious to deal with, and I do not recommend farming them. Unless you can guaranteed spawn them for every fight, they are slow to deal with, spawn rarely, and aren't worth dealing with the Ice or Ruin enemies that accompany them.

My bad, I haven't faced PKJs yet. Sorry!

Heheheheh.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have obtained a super- awesome Volcano Grotto Map! It's called... the Sapphire Dungeon of Dread Lv. 86! Why is it so awesome, you might ask? Let's put it this way: possible MKS spawns starting on THE FIRST FLOOR! All the way down to the 10th or so floor! PLUS it has ALL of the best Volcano-Grotto monsters- Bird of Terrordise, Scarlet Fever, Hell's Gatekeeper, Master Moosifer, AND Vermil Lion!

• Upvote 1

The only thing those monsters are best at is being trolls. Especially birds of terrordise. I'd say they can go burn, but they probably have some fire resistance going on. Not sure. I fought them when I had to, then avoided them forever. Scarlet fevers might be an exception. Not sure there, too. I recall the ones encountered in some of those extra quests being pretty easy to take down.

Good going getting MKSs on the first floors, though. Just watch out for the, well, everything else, but particularly flamin' draymans (draymen?) and barriearthenwarriors. The dray-whatevers have a team-striking attack that can cause inaction, and the barriearthenwarriors are attack-blocking, Oomph-casting, critical-hitting dung munchers that I wish I could crush to extinction.

Heheheheh.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have obtained a super- awesome Volcano Grotto Map! It's called... the Sapphire Dungeon of Dread Lv. 86! Why is it so awesome, you might ask? Let's put it this way: possible MKS spawns starting on THE FIRST FLOOR! All the way down to the 10th or so floor! PLUS it has ALL of the best Volcano-Grotto monsters- Bird of Terrordise, Scarlet Fever, Hell's Gatekeeper, Master Moosifer, AND Vermil Lion!

SHAAAAAAAARE.

The only thing those monsters are best at is being trolls. Especially birds of terrordise. I'd say they can go burn, but they probably have some fire resistance going on. Not sure. I fought them when I had to, then avoided them forever. Scarlet fevers might be an exception. Not sure there, too. I recall the ones encountered in some of those extra quests being pretty easy to take down.

Good going getting MKSs on the first floors, though. Just watch out for the, well, everything else, but particularly flamin' draymans (draymen?) and barriearthenwarriors. The dray-whatevers have a team-striking attack that can cause inaction, and the barriearthenwarriors are attack-blocking, Oomph-casting, critical-hitting dung munchers that I wish I could crush to extinction.

The Draymans and Barriearthenwarriors were the cause of my character dieing a few times while solo grinding.

@Stepchan: Odd. My characters can wipe out Flamin' Draymen with ease. The Draymen don't really do too much damage to my people (less than 100 to everyone except my Sage). Now, if you want a REAL troll-monster, try fighting a Master Moosifer. I was using two Lv. 99 Paladins (one using swords, the other using spears), AND a Lv. 99 Warrior as my physical strikers, and they were only doing between 80-100 damage. My Warrior's Falcon Slash+ Uber Falcon Blade combo failed to even dent this thing! I lucked out when I accidentally selected to use Thunder Thrust and it managed to hit, finally killing the SOB.

@Stepchan: Odd. My characters can wipe out Flamin' Draymen with ease. The Draymen don't really do too much damage to my people (less than 100 to everyone except my Sage). Now, if you want a REAL troll-monster, try fighting a Master Moosifer. I was using two Lv. 99 Paladins (one using swords, the other using spears), AND a Lv. 99 Warrior as my physical strikers, and they were only doing between 80-100 damage. My Warrior's Falcon Slash+ Uber Falcon Blade combo failed to even dent this thing! I lucked out when I accidentally selected to use Thunder Thrust and it managed to hit, finally killing the SOB.

Accidental Thunder Thrusts seem to have 100% accuracy as opposed to an intentional one with an accuracy of .001%

1st floor MKS aren't really worth it in my experience. Additionally, they can only show up to floor 5. Everything else is out of their rank. The real problem here is that you have to deal with every other miserable thing that spawns while waiting for MKS to show up. (Starting floor 5, Birds of Terrordise start appearing instead.)

And as Stepchan said, solo grinding means that you're attempting to deal with obnoxious enemies at REALLY low levels. And these monsters are just mean.

I was solo training at the time(in other words, no other party members, this was done for extra revocation bonuses), which I mentioned in my post. It mainly happened when her levels were less than 40(She was also in Minstrel, not the bulkiest of classes).

The Draymens only did it once, after making her trip. The Barriearthenwarriors did it at least 2 times that I remembered, mainly due to the fact that they had casted Oomph.

@Stepchan: Ah, I see. To me, 'Solo Grinding' is just an easy way to get one's self killed. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have AT LEAST one other person with you, that either can hit hard, can cast either Zing or Kazing (preferably Kazing), or is stocked with a few Yggdrassil Leaves. I mean yeah you won't get as much EXP, but to me that's better than getting killed a lot (and losing half of whatever money you happen to have).

It depends on where you do the grinding, yo. When I'd solo grind I'd usually do it in the Tower of Nod. Those stronger swineceroses and splatterhorns give a nice amount of EXP, and Disco Stew (if that's what it's called, haven't playing IX in a while} can knock them down to critical health if it doesn't defeat them. That place with the liquid metal slimes is also pretty decent, the one where you get that fancy arrow to get to Upover. Raise tension in one fight, keep some of it with that Martial Artist's scroll, then use Fan Dango with the Attribeauty in a fight against an LMS. Mind, you can probably gather from that that I'm not a big risk taker, and I'd probably never step solo into a highish / high level grotto, especially if I was under the 40s :P

I suppose it might be slower than if you had a team to handle MKS battles better, but there's also a lot to do with equipment and luck. To be honest, I think I had done that solo training of mine because I was getting tired of fighting metals in general. I had nearly killed the max amount the bestiary keeps track of (999) of MKSs when I had last played.

As for losing your gold, there's a bank in the game for a reason :P

@Stepchan: Ah, I see. To me, 'Solo Grinding' is just an easy way to get one's self killed. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have AT LEAST one other person with you, that either can hit hard, can cast either Zing or Kazing (preferably Kazing), or is stocked with a few Yggdrassil Leaves. I mean yeah you won't get as much EXP, but to me that's better than getting killed a lot (and losing half of whatever money you happen to have).

I was wanting to get a +4 revocation quickly, which combined with my current 99 class and grottos that are in the 80s, adds to over 200 BQ(before -10/+10% modifier kicks in). I was willing to take the chance on it for abit to get up that high in total.

Plus, a few deaths total out of the mass of amount of battles I did for the 4 revocates isn't that big of a deal.

It is faster by a huge degree, especially if you want to rapidly revocate.

Now this is just my own opinion, but if I had to grind a character, I would have my two Paladins alongside him/her. One to spam Whipping Boy to protect the weak character that I was grinding, and one to kill the enemies.

Oh, and to the guy who wanted me to share the map: I would, but I'm all the way in Texas. Sorry 'bout that...

Now this is just my own opinion, but if I had to grind a character, I would have my two Paladins alongside him/her. One to spam Whipping Boy to protect the weak character that I was grinding, and one to kill the enemies.

Oh, and to the guy who wanted me to share the map: I would, but I'm all the way in Texas. Sorry 'bout that...

If I ever find myself in Texas I will let you know lol

That's not viable unless the Paladin are a higher level, in which case you're making the grinding SIGNIFICANTLY slower.

I'm almost done leveling up 12 allies to 99 in every vocation, and having revocated one vocation to *. It's SO MUCH SLOWER than soloing.

Ah, good 'ol Silver marsh of Bane Lv58 with your all-MKS floor, how I love thee!

Water grottos are the best ones to grind MKS's as there's only 2 really annoying enemies that can show-up; moai minstrals and those big fat fugly women things... (I just call them 'grossie' because they remind me of a hienously awful customer I was forced to deal with at my old job.)

I've solo'd with my MC as low as Lv25 Warrior with that map for re-vocating purposes with little trouble. And getting him to Lv25 was simple with slime hill grinding.

Nature grottos I find are even more annoying than Fire grottos though when it comes to fighting MKS's!

I find fire grottos easier to deal with the MKS for some reason.

I can't get a decent grottoe to save my life. I am at lv 75 in Ranger, and 68 in Gladiator and need some MKS to get there. Been grotto dwelling for weeks now and can't get one.

This too shall pass I guess.

My wish came true! A map of mine has a MKS spawn on floor 8, and it's actually rather decent. Went from 87-99 in about 1h 30min.