Sign in to follow this  
Democrobot

Most popular vocation

Most popular vocation  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is your most popular vocation(s)?

• Upvote 4

Gladiator is the most powerful class. If you have the shield skill set mastered on another class, he doesn't have a defense problem. His coup-de-grace is really useful, almost no situation I can find where it can't be useful.

Once he masters shield, he basically makes the warrior useless cause of his power and towards the end with legacy bosses, he is one of the only few choices for the higher level ones.

• Upvote 1

I have yet to actually beat the game and really use any of the other classes, but for me right now, it's Minstrel. It's just a cute class that I like, and Have a Ball is a blast for me to use, too. Especially against pesky metal-variety slimes.

I shot an arrow in the air and it landed everywhere! Not a skill exclusive to Rangers but I do like Rangers. Always have at least one.

Sage would be my choice. If I would have to choose between dealing a damn high amount of damage with a weapon and dealing a damn high amount of damage with magic... I would pick magic. Really, it's awesome. ;)

I can't really say at the moment which class I felt strong about when I was playing, but I want to go for Priest. The healing's nice, as is being able to cast death spells instead of being the target of them :P Stats kinda blow, but ehh... all vocations seem kinda weak in the presence of legacy bosses and some of the stupid-strong grotto monsters.

For me, Armamentalist. It's the class I use for my main character.

Nothin' like a Paladin to brighten up the day.

Luminary for the win! Dance off to the death.

Counting in all the DQ games, Gadabout is my favorite. :P

Gladiator all day every day. Put a Gladiator in Warrior and Paladin, and maybe Thief for agility, and it's pretty much the ultimate physical class.

I'm all about the Paladins baby! ;)

Sage would be my choice. If I would have to choose between dealing a damn high amount of damage with a weapon and dealing a damn high amount of damage with magic... I would pick magic. Really, it's awesome. ;)

What if you could have both? Have someone Become an Omnivocational (insert strong weapon type here)master, then turn them into a Sage. High Physical Attack and Magical Might!

Sages don't have decent strength, let's not even suggest that "high physical attack" is remotely the case.

Hrm. I guess I'd go with Priest, as Omniheal is the make or break effect in High Level Legacy fighting...though a Martial Artist loaded down with Yggdrasil Dew could do the job as well...

My favorite is the Martial Artist :D spamming Multifists got me through my first play of the game.

@ RPG Wizard: Well, you COULD get a Sage with decent Strength, but it would require getting all the 'Natural Strength + (X-number)' abilities in the skill trees of several other classes. A lot of work, yes, but it could pay off.

I must agree with all the pro-Paladin people out there. Paladins are one of the most useful classes. Thay learn Kabuff and Magic Barrier (having two that know these makes for easy buffing in Boss fights), and Kerplunk has saved by backside many a time against Legacy Bosses and certain Grotto Bosses. All I really need to do before I turn my main into one on my second copy is make him an Omnivocational Swordmaster. Paladins FTW!

• Upvote 2

I used the Paladin, Warrior, Armentalist, Martial Artist, and Gladiator stat upgrades with Luminary skills to make a Macho-Star Gladiator

@ RPG Wizard: Well, you COULD get a Sage with decent Strength, but it would require getting all the 'Natural Strength + (X-number)' abilities in the skill trees of several other classes. A lot of work, yes, but it could pay off.

That adds a total of +100, raising a Sage up to 302. Additionally, that is ONE POINT more than Priest, 43 points less than Minstrel, and 54 points more than Luminary.

302 strength isn't decent, it's lousy. With a Hypernova sword, a Sage gets 482 attack, which still doesn't quite qualify as respectable. (Given a dumbed down version of the damage formula, 482/2 - Def/4 requires the enemy def to be pretty abysmal for "decent damage" to be dealt.) You will NEVER depend on them as physical damage dealers any more than any of the other casting vocations.

(For a fun point of reference, a Mage gets 196 strength and 700 M. Might. A Sage gets 302 strength and 537 M. Might. I would classify neither as even remotely decent physical attackers.)

Edited by RPG Wizard
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget to add oomph which then makes the sage decent-ish

I must agree with all the pro-Paladin people out there. Paladins are one of the most useful classes. Thay learn Kabuff and Magic Barrier (having two that know these makes for easy buffing in Boss fights), and Kerplunk has saved by backside many a time against Legacy Bosses and certain Grotto Bosses. All I really need to do before I turn my main into one on my second copy is make him an Omnivocational Swordmaster. Paladins FTW!

Reading this changed my vote! I forgot that I changed my main character into a Paladin and just how useful those skills were to get me through the late game areas and then also early grottos. Never got into grottos very much, so don't know how well they continue to do, but I do love the class! The stat boost got my other characters through the game too!

Don't forget to add oomph which then makes the sage decent-ish

Oomph, which is only performed via Mage, Armamentalist, or double Gritty Ditty? This has ceased to be an argument for the physical attacking power of a Sage, and instead demonstrates just how weak a Sage actually is. Oomph and Fource Alignment are just as potent, if not more, on a vocation that has a legitimately good strength.

Sage, Paladin, Gladiator, and Armamentalist. I often change them to Luminaries, though. The game needs a challenge.

Reading this changed my vote! I forgot that I changed my main character into a Paladin and just how useful those skills were to get me through the late game areas and then also early grottos. Never got into grottos very much, so don't know how well they continue to do, but I do love the class! The stat boost got my other characters through the game too!

Trust me when I say this: Paladins are VERY good people to have in the higher-level Grottos! Having two with you can give you the double-Kabuff in a single turn, and then the double-Magic Barrier on the next, thus preparing you for whatever onslaught the boss throws at you. Disruptive wave removes your buffs? Two turns to restore them is MUCH better than 16 (eight to get the double-Kabuff, eight to get the double-Magic Barrier). Also, Kerplunk is EXTREMELY useful as a last-resort (i.e. when all your other people are dead and your Kerplunk-knowing Paladin is the only one left), since it revives/fully heals all dead or injured allies (albeit at the MP and life of the caster, which is much easier to get back).