Dragon Quest X News Thread

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, after jumping the gun here and being informed that what I posted wouldn't fit in here until a later time, I thought I should try starting a Mimas inferred that it might be a good idea to start a

Thanks! Though I hope you didn't feel like I was beating up on you about it. Since you mentioned not knowing where it belonged I was trying to be helpful. I've kind of wanted a thread like this for a

Yeah that encyclopedia sounds nice. Finally some Dragon Quest 7 monster artwork.   Too bad it will become out of date so quickly with all these new games releasing soon.

Oops, sorry about that,

It's no problem, yo. I actually thought of mentioning it here instead of commenting in that topic. Stuff in that feed doesn't often get replies, and the replies are often overlooked, so it likely makes more sense to reference them than reply directly to them.

And the only time I recall knowing of something similar was with PSO's fan-maintained server(s). It makes more sense in that regard because it isn't the company charging folks to keep the server running, so since it's basically being provided for free it's more reasonable to get rid of user data if it's just lying around and taking up space.

They've temporarily increased the number of servers to 40. Its a big help.

I still remain highly skeptical of a successful release outside of Japan. I wish this were not the case. Here are my thoughts:

1) The artwork comes across as much more "anime" than previous Dragon Quest games. This seems evident to me in the character artwork. I just don't think a non-Asian audience is going to be attracted by playing as a short little impy character. Yes there are other options, but the whole look and feel felt more Eastern to me.

2) Most current MMO players in North America play games on the computer. Therefore, to "switch" to Dragon Quest X, they would need to change to a console. I don't see this happening for the majority, so they would need to build an almost entirely new player base from current non-MMO players. This is not the easiest thing to do in places where Dragon Quest is forgotten for 2-3 years between titles.

3) Related to 2. You have to pay a monthly subscription. If I was 10 when this game came out, there is no way my parents would have let me subscribe. "There are lots of Wii games, why don't you play another one?"

4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Online has not been released in other parts of the world outside of Asia. Although not an apples to apples comparison, Dragon Ball has a lot of name recognition outside of Japan. If they won't release that MMO outside of Asia, what does that say about Dragon Quest? I feel that in many ways, the 2 are similar situations.

Always bringin' the sunshine, yo :P

I'm more of a 'wait and see' sort when it comes to these things. I think a lot of folks were starting to think we wouldn't get Joker 2, but we ended up getting it. Not the Pro version, but we got it in some form :P Can never be too sure what these folks might do.

With all the complexities that seem to be arising from playing the game imported, I probably won't import even if the game never gets localized. It'll be a shame to miss out on the experience, but there'll be ways to cope. For me, at least.

In any case, I look forward to the possibility of it coming over, however slim, but won't get my hopes up so much so that I'm totally crushed if it doesn't.

Also, not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the Twitter for X has been frequently linking to this place, which looks like it might have stuff to help out players and have them interact (there are playguide and forum links, it seems). Also some sorta camera on the left that updates with a picture every now and then.

4) http://en.wikipedia....gon_Ball_Online has not been released in other parts of the world outside of Asia. Although not an apples to apples comparison, Dragon Ball has a lot of name recognition outside of Japan. If they won't release that MMO outside of Asia, what does that say about Dragon Quest? I feel that in many ways, the 2 are similar situations.

Its not that it hasn't, it's that it hasn't been YET. MMOs and such can take a long time to be translated. There's a quote floating around of someone working on the game,saying releasing it in places like America could take as much as 7 years. Which must make it a big MMO as well.

Also, not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the Twitter for X has been frequently linking to this place, which looks like it might have stuff to help out players and have them interact (there are playguide and forum links, it seems). Also some sorta camera on the left that updates with a picture every now and then.

That is the "Hiroba" that I've mentioned before. It also has character profiles for your characters and it is where you go to download and look at the pictures you've taken in the game.

Is there user wacky or is there an actual offline mode aside from the intro?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/955322-dragon-quest-x/63416066

And if so, how long is it?

This has been mentioned before, but I'll say it again: Every MMO has that policy, even WoW. They just don't usually act on it. This is PROBABLY just Square's way of saying "We have the right to do this."

Is there user wacky or is there an actual offline mode aside from the intro?

http://www.gamefaqs....uest-x/63416066

And if so, how long is it?

I've heard of this too. Basically you play as your online character's sibling, from what I hear. Not sure how long it is though, but I wouldn't imagine TOO long.

Yeah, the "Every MMO has that policy" thing rings hollow when Square Enix was actively blackmailing FF11 customers with character deletion if they ever unsubscribed. And followed through with it.

We'll see in the coming months if they royally screw this up or not.

4) http://en.wikipedia....gon_Ball_Online has not been released in other parts of the world outside of Asia. Although not an apples to apples comparison, Dragon Ball has a lot of name recognition outside of Japan. If they won't release that MMO outside of Asia, what does that say about Dragon Quest? I feel that in many ways, the 2 are similar situations.

Its not that it hasn't, it's that it hasn't been YET. MMOs and such can take a long time to be translated. There's a quote floating around of someone working on the game,saying releasing it in places like America could take as much as 7 years. Which must make it a big MMO as well.

Yeah, that's a crock of ****. FFXI came out in the US less than a year after it was released in Japan, and DQX seems a much smaller MMO than that.

Yes, but I don't think Square Enix was expecting any better. I love the game and want it to be a success, but I don't think it could have handled 2 million people at this time. I think that the game will be a long sale as people hear about how good the game is. That will also give the game enough time to improve and increase the number of servers to handle that number of people.

http://andriasang.co...n268/dqx_debut/

First week sales = 420,311

Not bad

Its kind of bad when you consider VIII and IX both did over 2 million in their first weeks.

Not really, considering one is an MMO and the others are not.

That's like comparing units sold of FFXI, the most profitable FF, to FFVII.

For comparison, FFXI sold 70k it's first week in Japan, and as I stated, over all that is the most profitable FF.

DQX selling 6 times that amount is no slouch.

For MMO releases it's not about units sold, but more or less monthly subscription fees and how profitable it is for the company.

DQX is a long term investment.

First week sales = 420,311

Not bad

Its kind of bad when you consider VIII and IX both did over 2 million in their first weeks.

Irrelevant. They expected it to sell less. The real telling sign is that they doubled server sizes a few days after launch. Like Mimas said, if the game had sold 2million copies like a normal DQ, the game's infrastructure wouldn't be able to handle it and we'd have another Diablo 3 on our hands.

the battles end too fast imo. it look like the groups of enemies are gone :( you battle 2-3 monsters and that it.

ps. for those who play. i can play entirely with the keyboard? and i can create hybrid Character?, i mean one that can both heal and attack? and what about buff and dbuff? they in the game? cause i dont see anyone cast them.

thanks everyone/

Edited by yarden

Yes, but I don't think Square Enix was expecting any better. I love the game and want it to be a success, but I don't think it could have handled 2 million people at this time. I think that the game will be a long sale as people hear about how good the game is. That will also give the game enough time to improve and increase the number of servers to handle that number of people.

I wish I could agree with you Mimas but a part of me is hoping that this game isn't a success. I really didn't like the direction they took with DQIX. I've been a huge fan since the beginning, own Japanese versions of the games that didn't come to NA, and played alll the fan translations, etc. but IX was a real disappointment to me.

I felt it got very tedious and repetitive after awhile, especially after you acquired a couple of the good grotto maps that give you lots of Rank A or S chests and LMS floors. I felt the story was bland and the characters uninteresting. I also felt they dumbed down the series a bit by doing things like making the small medal sidequest have an infinite amount of medals in the game rather than a set number.

It's just my opinion but I really want Yuji to get back to making good DQ games again. VIII is still my favorite and I would love to have another game with a story and characters on that level.

The first week sales is kinda worrying, but it's an MMORPG and we all knew it would cause them to take a hit.

No, the real thing to remember is that FF11 had first week sales of 60,000 and is the most profitable game in Square Enix's history. So the guys at SE are probably not too upset right yet.

One thing I noticed is they seem to have gotten rid of the Mr Popo style face. Since they had to edit that one out for the US, well, maybe that's a hint.

• 1 month later...

Today's Wii U focused Nintendo Direct had some details regarding Dragon Quest X on the system. There will be a beta for the game that will come bundled with the premium edition of the Wii U console, the game can be played by two players locally one on the TV, one on the controller. You can also transfer your character from the Wii version to the Wii U. There seems to be an indication that the internal memory will negate the need for a USB key but I might have picked that up incorrectly.