Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you like the recent localizations of DQ?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About the whole "kids" argument, look at stuff like Pixar movies or the Bone comics. Technically "kids," but enjoyed just as much, if not more by adults. That's what you shoot for and Plus Alpha is great that that. To call them ignorant is an ignorant comment itself. You may not like the context, and that's fine. I haven't agreed with every decision 100% either. That doesn't change the fact that they're still good writers and translators.

All the old guard is long gone, so you'd be wasting your time. ...I could also make a really dumb joke here, but that would mean addressing one's attractiveness, thus breaking a Rule of The Internet.

I see. Well, rather I don't. I haven't seen any of those movies or comics. What I'm trying to say is I'll take your word for it.

Crap. I didn't mean to imply that they are ignorant. I didn't think I came across that way. What I do feel is that my vision of DW/DQ is very different from their vision of DQ. You might be right, they might think they are making changes that kids/adults/whoever might find funny. It's just the two other people I know in real life agree with me. SE probably has better statistics on their games than I do. Actually, if they have any statistics on their games at all they have better statistics than I do. Maybe they've got statistics for localization that says, "translate this game this way to increase profit." It could be that's the case, and hence why they are having Plus Alpha translate it the way they are. It could be the perceived demographics, that x age group will like it better this way. There could be a completely different reason. To me, all that is irrelevant. For whatever reason they're doing it, I'm sure they have a completely rational explanation. It just so happens their version doesn't mesh well with my mental picture of DW/DQ, and that's where the whole problem comes in for me.

Really the entire point of this topic was to gauge how strongly people liked/disliked the new localization. I needed to do this to determine if it was worth even attempting to push for a fan localization. You're probably right. It's probably a futile attempt and moreover a waste of time. Even so... Here goes nothing.

So, this isn't really for the masses, it's for me and others dissatisfied with the localization. Granted, the current localization might have some merit. Even so, it's not enough for me. I think it could be better, but that's fine. In fact, I'd prefer they keep it they way they have it. If that's truly helping sales of DQ, then I wouldn't want to mess with that parameter. But, what I would however like is the option for an alternative. One that would be there regardless of what the masses like/dislike. That's really all I'm asking for. With that in mind, over the next few days I'll try to construct an argument in a neutral tone stating why we should be given our own little localization option. I'm fairly confident with the technical aspects. That really should be a non-issue. I'll need help with the neutral tone and everything else.

With that, I think the issue is thoroughly exhausted. I'm sorry to have brought up such a hot topic, but it needed to be done. If I have offended anyone in any way, I apologize. I generally try to construct my arguments in a logical and semi-neutral way. Let me know if I suck at this. :P

My only real sticking point with a bunch of fans doing a fantranslation to retranslate a game that already has one is that they almost always fail to go through with it. If you're going to do it, do it well, and FINISH IT. I'm all for a less goofy translation by fellow fans if they are willing to put in the legwork.

I see. Well, rather I don't. I haven't seen any of those movies or comics.

ibrVCR1HDw2roO.gif

My only real sticking point with a bunch of fans doing a fantranslation to retranslate a game that already has one is that they almost always fail to go through with it. If you're going to do it, do it well, and FINISH IT. I'm all for a less goofy translation by fellow fans if they are willing to put in the legwork.

Agreed. That's why I think the perfect proving ground is DQM:TW3D. Most of the script is done already from the previous versions. We'd still have to re-translate and cross-check the old stuff, but it's better than nothing. From what I've read there's also new content. If we fail to translate that, then there's no way we'd be able to do bigger projects. (DQX from what I've read is massive. Land wise at any rate.) The re-translating and cross-checking alone will prove difficult. I should probably start learning Japanese now if I hope to be of some help in time for DQXVII. Well, at least I'm decent at proof reading. I'll make sure to grab my old copy of English grammar rules. Spelling can be done with spell-check. If it's good enough for spell-check, it's good enough for me. :baa:

Hmm, wonder how good I'm at translating translator babble? :angel:

And this man is from New York City. He knows a thing or two about unintelligible accents!

You would be correct :). Ordering food sometimes is a chore cause the first thing I gotta do is understand what they are saying.

And I feel the same way about many other accents. Especially that 'hick 'accent in DQV and the 'french' accent in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. And I think some of the accents are downright politically incorrect. If I was Russian and played DQIV, I'd be offended by Alena's backwards talking junk.

But as for just plain badly done and hard to understand, that 'ghost' accent in DQV takes the cake. Its one thing to be cute and add a letter here and there. But when you have text spelled out like 'OOOOOHHHHH YYYOOOOUUUU AAARRRRREEEEEE..." That is just plain pathetic. Even kids will think that's overboard and lame.

It's been a while for me since I played that part of the game so I didn't recall but yeah sounds a little overboard. The only one I really remember is Sancho and don't recall a huge problem, but again, haven't played Sancho in a while. I think cause I recently beat DQ4 DS again I remembered the bad stuff from that one more clearly.

The funny this is, as much as I complain about the accents, I don't really care about the spell names much. I've gotten used to 'Oomph' and 'Whack' and 'Kaboom'....but again, aside from very rare circumstances, those don't have to do with story or characters. When you start changing location names (AllTrades Abbey still makes me cringe...), character names and throwing accents all over the place, it changes those characters. Someone who has played the old NES version of Dragon Quest IV will have a different view of Alena as a character than someone who played it on the DS. Simply because of her accent. its like changing the voice in an Anime. You may like the dubbed voice more, but because there's a different voice, it becomes a different character. Would you want to watch an Episode of the Simpsons where Homer is suddenly replaced by a British guy with a cockney accent? No? So why is it okay in Anime and video games?

I'm fine now with the FF spells, just originally I was perplexed. I think I'm more of a person who is resistant to change at first, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I originally had no intention of playing Resident Evil 4 cause it was different, but gave it a chance and liked it. Usually with things like this, I would say I'm not a huge fan of the new translations, but eventually I will get used to them. Still prefer most DQ spell names though, but the new ones overall aren't terrible.

I actually think one of the bigger reasons that Final Fantasy 7 isn't being remade is cause of the voice acting. It will have to be there, but I can see people saying this person doesn't sound like Cloud or TIfa or Sephiroth so it's kind of similar with Homer Simpson. I think with me, it's more of the fact that I hear the voice actor for Homer and because it's ingrained into me after watching over 500 episodes, anything else is terrible. Same with the names. I was used to the old ones for so long, that anything new seems unnecessary.

I actually think one of the bigger reasons that Final Fantasy 7 isn't being remade is cause of the voice acting. It will have to be there, but I can see people saying this person doesn't sound like Cloud or TIfa or Sephiroth so it's kind of similar with Homer Simpson. I think with me, it's more of the fact that I hear the voice actor for Homer and because it's ingrained into me after watching over 500 episodes, anything else is terrible. Same with the names. I was used to the old ones for so long, that anything new seems unnecessary.

I agree, and that's the major source for my problem with the accents.

To follow along with the Homer Simpson medephor, of course I'm going to want him to have the same voice I've been hearing for 24 seasons. And of course, people in different countries, like Mexico or Japan, have a totally different voice for Homer they have grown up hearing. I respect that, as its the same way we have gotten used to the voice for Homer in America. However, I ALSO feel that products not produced in your native language, such as Anime, French Movies, Hong Ko\ng Cinema, whaterver, should be viewed in its original language to fully understand the original way characters were suppose to be portrayed. And a lot of products that come out in the US keep the original voices/actors when being released into another country. At least they have that option. If a guy in China can spent $5 to get a bootleg copy of 'Avatar' wioth both subtitles and the original English voices, why doesn't the official version of 'Enter the Dragon' which is over $30, come with the original Cantonese and Subtitles?

My problem comes from the fact that, especially when it comes to video games and Anime released in America, we most often don't have access to that 'original' source. We are forced to settle for whatever localization is given to us, unless we can find a subtitled version online (or hacked game rom with a changed script). In this day in age where media storage has reached 2-49 GB in size, its pretty sad to claim that you can't fit 100Kb worth of text and maybe 500 MB worth of voices on a Blu Ray disk or SD card. Heck, even smaller companies like Atlus, Marvelous and XSeed are able to have both a Japnese and English track on their games, but a multi-billion dollar company like SquareEnix can't?

Anyway, what does all this have to do with the text in DS games like DQIV and V? Basically because the same principles they apply to Anime dubbing are used on these games. Lots of alteration to make accents and name changes work. But for what purpose? Its almost as if these companies make all these forced changes as a control mechanism to keep the American consumer ignorant of the original product. But why? Its not like we're gonna go and start buying unaltered and more expensive versions of the same game from Japan just because we know theycome from Japan. 99.9% of us still need some kind of translation to understand the game. All I'm arguing for is a less silly and closer translation to the original. Or if they MUST somehow alter a ton of stuff, at least have a more literal 'direct' translation option as well. Even Anime movies released in America do this, and they don't even sel las much as the avg video game.

Heck, even smaller companies like Atlus, Marvelous and XSeed are able to have both a Japnese and English track on their games, but a multi-billion dollar company like SquareEnix can't?

I'd check again. One of those three is not like the others, and they do NOT dual audio a fair amount of the time. And...XSeed IS Marvelous AQL, due to the merger between Marvelous and AQ, and XSeed was owned by AQ. So really between the two options you've given, one tends to opt for dual audio, and the other doesn't. (Confusing, isn't it?)

Simple fact of the matter is that paying licensing fees to the voice acting guilds in Japan isn't worth the money when such a small minority of customers of the S-E games even care. (This may be sad, but it's true. Far more people simply do not care about dual-audio or original voicing than those who do. It costs more to get it dubbed into English, but it's what most players expect)

All I'm arguing for is a less silly and closer translation to the original. Or if they MUST somehow alter a ton of stuff, at least have a more literal 'direct' translation option as well.

Now THAT would take up space that is often unavailable to put on the cart or disc. This really just comes down to whatever the translator feels best. As a side note, I went to a panel where Kajiya productions talked about their translations. (Alexander O Smith and Joseph Reeder. You may recall them from such translations as Tactics Ogre PSP, Final Fantasy Tactics PSP, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, and others.) Half of the translation was often at the best of the Japanese company, and how they wanted it done. The other half was artistic license of how they felt the translation should be. (For instance, Denim Powell of Tactics Ogre becam Denam Pavel, because the last name made Smith think of US General Colin Powell.) Another fun instance was trying to get voice acting to work in Final Fantasy X, where a half-second "Hai!" would have to be made into a very abrupt "Yes." that sounded peculiar.

If anything, that's actually a good example. FFX was "here's the game, make the translation work." as requested by Motomu Toriyama and co. FFXII was "Okay, we can't explain this unless we had more time for the character to talk, so we'll extend this scene of him walking away from the camera and use it to buffer the english translation, even though in the Japanese version he says NOTHING." as collaborated upon between Smith/Reeder and Yasumi Matsuno and co. (If you don't believe me, check out the scene where Vossler is walking away and explaining things after you obtain Basch in both the English and Japanese versions.) This is pretty much an instance where the localization ended up far better because instead of being a strict or more faithful translation, we instead got MORE information.

Even Anime movies released in America do this, and they don't even sel las much as the avg video game.

This depends ENTIRELY upon the anime, the translation company, and the production company. I can point you to something like One Piece back in the 4kids era and just shake my head.

I'd check again. One of those three is not like the others, and they do NOT dual audio a fair amount of the time. And...XSeed IS Marvelous AQL, due to the merger between Marvelous and AQ, and XSeed was owned by AQ. So really between the two options you've given, one tends to opt for dual audio, and the other doesn't. (Confusing, isn't it?)

Simple fact of the matter is that paying licensing fees to the voice acting guilds in Japan isn't worth the money when such a small minority of customers of the S-E games even care. (This may be sad, but it's true. Far more people simply do not care about dual-audio or original voicing than those who do. It costs more to get it dubbed into English, but it's what most players expect)

Well, the few games I've played published by Atlus had the dual audio. Those being La Pucelle Tactics, Odin Sphere and GrimGrimiore. Can't remember if Disgaea did as well. But yes, they didn't do it for many other games, including the Persona games. Which I wish they had.

Now THAT would take up space that is often unavailable to put on the cart or disc. This really just comes down to whatever the translator feels best. As a side note, I went to a panel where Kajiya productions talked about their translations. (Alexander O Smith and Joseph Reeder. You may recall them from such translations as Tactics Ogre PSP, Final Fantasy Tactics PSP, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, and others.) Half of the translation was often at the best of the Japanese company, and how they wanted it done. The other half was artistic license of how they felt the translation should be. (For instance, Denim Powell of Tactics Ogre becam Denam Pavel, because the last name made Smith think of US General Colin Powell.) Another fun instance was trying to get voice acting to work in Final Fantasy X, where a half-second "Hai!" would have to be made into a very abrupt "Yes." that sounded peculiar.

If anything, that's actually a good example. FFX was "here's the game, make the translation work." as requested by Motomu Toriyama and co. FFXII was "Okay, we can't explain this unless we had more time for the character to talk, so we'll extend this scene of him walking away from the camera and use it to buffer the english translation, even though in the Japanese version he says NOTHING." as collaborated upon between Smith/Reeder and Yasumi Matsuno and co. (If you don't believe me, check out the scene where Vossler is walking away and explaining things after you obtain Basch in both the English and Japanese versions.) This is pretty much an instance where the localization ended up far better because instead of being a strict or more faithful translation, we instead got MORE information.

FFXII is indeed one of the rare instances where I saw the localization do equal to or better than the Japanese. I personally like the 'acting' in the Japanese better, but the 'voices' in the English more, if that makes sense. And a large part of that is because of what you were saying, they worked hard to make the script work in English instead of what they did for FFX or the exact opposite, making tons of extra changes and dialogue to 'explain' things. It was the happy medium I've been wanting for most localizations, and why I often compare DQ to FF, because its clear SE CAN do a good job....when they put enough money into it.

But as for a direct translation taking up too much space, I really don't see how. Especially for a DS game, 100-300kb of text data will not break the bank. For voices, you have a better argument...but not on Blu ray based games. Compression and the already luticrous disk size means voices can be as little as 1/5000 the disk space.available. And I mean, many PS2 games got dualk audio, on a DVD disk that only had 4.7 GB (if that). Just saying, it can be done. The voice data for FFX is something like 273 MB compressed on a regular DVD

This depends ENTIRELY upon the anime, the translation company, and the production company. I can point you to something like One Piece back in the 4kids era and just shake my head.

I'm aware there are a few exceptions. Most notably whatever appears on Adult Swim, such as Eva, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. But really, aside from about a dozen shows, Anime DVD sales in America are pretty pitiful. Its precisely because of these few 'hit' shows that the other DVDs for anything from Hajime no Ippo to Princess Tutu to Utawarerumono sell so badly. Which are you more likely to buy? The DVDs for a show you've never heard of or seen on TV like Cross Game...or the 4th remaster of Eva, 'Platinum Edition'?

My point is, some of these shows, take Princess Tutu for example, sell so mediocre (around 50,000 copies) that ADV actually lost money on them. But they still put both the dub and original voices on them. Yet a game like FFXIII which sold 3.5 million copies in America can't afford to? That's all I'm trying to point out. If it became a 'standard' to always have the Japanese voices like Anime does, costs would go down and I imagine sales might even go up over time. Even if only by 1%, that would have still been an extra 350,000 copies of FFXIII sold. And I also want to point out, some companies don't need to pay for secondary rights to the voices, because they already own them. Adding the voices would be next to nothing in cost. Especially since Japanese Seiyuu most often don't get paid for secondary uses of their work, only the original job. Megumi Ogata isn't making a dime off the dozens of reprints of Eva, eventhough she did the voice of Shinji Ikari.

Kinda like Sanji's lollipop better what with it being a food item n' all.

Kinda like Sanji's lollipop better what with it being a food item n' all.

He's a chef, not a confectioner.

Poll Results:

You prefer:

The old style localization of DW(Occasional puns) (22 votes [62.86%] )

The new style localization of DQ(Heavy puns) (7 votes [20.00%] )

Indifferent (6 votes [17.14%] )

The new spell names:

Really get on my nerves (7 votes [20.00%] )

Are pretty good (10 votes [28.57%] )

Indifferent (5 votes [14.29%] )

I have a mild dislike of them (13 votes [37.14%] )

How do you prefer your accents?

Lightly salted- No, never mind, they're horrible. (4 votes [11.43%] )

Mild accent is OK (24 votes [68.57%] )

Oui, ze accents are de best (5 votes [14.29%] )

Indifferent (2 votes [5.71%] )

Do you like character names to be puns?

Yes. (3 votes [8.57%] )

No. (13 votes [37.14%] )

Indifferent. Depends on whether it detracts from the game play. (19 votes [54.29%] )

A town name should:

Reflect past events(Rexwood) (7 votes [12.73%] )

Reflect Future Events(Angel Falls, etc.) (5 votes [9.09%] )

Reflect its purpose(Dharma, All-trades Abbey) (14 votes [25.45%] )

Sound cool(Insert favorite town name here.) (10 votes [18.18%] )

Be the same name except in rare circumstances as it was in the Japanese version. (19 votes [34.55%] )

Not going to bother with citations/changing sentence structure or words since this is from this topic, and citations would take too long. This isn't English class, but yes, technically I'm plagiarizing. :worried: Ah well.

Ideas taken from DD posts:

Respect the original writers. They're pretty smart. Mild improvement in some cases maybe? (Yangus)

Leave names the same as much as possible for towns.

If a game has a had a previous translation, care should be taken in the new translation not to offend old fans. Respect old translations.

Spell/Skill names should reflect their function. Old translations are mostly ok, with a few exceptions. A few of the newer names might be better than the older. Some still need work.

Tone should be left the same for scenes and characters.

If names are to be changed, they should not give away the plot.

If accents are used, they should be readable.

Puns should be used in moderation.

Correct spelling(spell check :) ) and grammar are critical.

Localization should be as close as possible to original game, save for when things aren't cross cultural.

A good localization retains the spirit of the script.

PR should do more for marketing DQ. Advertising is key.

1.)So, a good deal of old fans still prefer it the old way. This is the target group. Indifferent(s) are fine either way, and the ones who like the new translations will still have those regardless.

2.)So, the majority of people have a mild dislike of them. I interpret this to mean that it's not a game breaker, but they'd rather have them more sensibly named. Again, the ones who like them have no problems. Those who it really annoys still buy the game. They still buy it, but they really want the names back the way they were, or at least something sensible. I fall into this category. Indifferent people will be indifferent and buy the game regardless.

3.)Accents- Most people agree that if you're going to have accents they should be readable. Some people actually like the heavy accents??? :puzzled: Well, the new translations most likely have you covered. And predictably, at least some absolutely hate accents. Completely understandable, but as long as they're readable this group should be only mildly uncomfortable.

4.) Well, I didn't really think this question out as well as I thought I did. In hind sight, it might have been better to ask, "Do you think character names should be left as they are in the original translation or changed(possibly to puns)?"

But, it is what it is. Too late now. They way I interpret this is that most people agree that if you are going to change character names, it shouldn't detract from the game. The way the question is worded sounds like it's directed at Horii, and it was not intended to be. I'll interpret the "No" group as saying much the same, just stronger. As for the "Yes" group, they've got the new localization.

5.) I muddled this question as well. I really should have asked, "Do you like name changes for towns?" or something like that. I apologize. Most voters agree that town names should be left alone except in rare circumstances. When it is a rare circumstance, it should probably reflect it's purpose if it has one, or sound cool. Reflecting the town's past or future are also on the table, but to a lesser extent.

Well, that about does it for the interpretations. How'd I do?

Up next: The letter to SE.

Topics include addressing SE's DQ ad campaign or lack thereof. Grievances and lamentations about the current translations. Good points about the current translations. Proposal for a fan translation.(If there's enough support for this idea that is....) Other stuff? Probably. Well, that about does it for me at the moment. I'll probably think of something else later to say. As always, give your opinion on whatever.

Topics include addressing SE's DQ ad campaign or lack thereof. Grievances and lamentations about the current translations. Good points about the current translations. Proposal for a fan translation.(If there's enough support for this idea that is....) Other stuff? Probably. Well, that about does it for me at the moment. I'll probably think of something else later to say. As always, give your opinion on whatever.

Please don't do this. You'd just be wasting your time as it would probably become an instant File 13. Localizations for the new games are probably well underway. Propose a fan translation and SEI will shut it down. Marketing is moot, because that's being taken care of by Nintendo now. Most of your concerns have probably been stated to them by several others and myself. If there's anything specific, I could probably pass it along the next time I talk to them. Nintendo has already sunk a nice chunk of change into events and creative campaigns like the Superfan contest and the Monster Scout Tournament.

I don't mind the new spell names, but I do think they should've considered how similar Frizz is to Fizz. At a quick glance I've often confused Kafizzle for Kafrizzle, and vice versa.

The -more and -most suffixes would sound amateurish by today's standards.

You can try writing a letter, but it'll most likely be ignored. I wrote two letters directly to the staff via their website and in the mail to SE of America, one after DQIV was released and another after DQV was released. I never got a response from my first letter and for my second letter I got a generic 'We will pass this along to the appropriate people' letter.

The best we can hope for now is that the new people who have done the translations for DQVI and IX will work to lessen the accents and tone it down on the name changes. They already have done much better than Plus Alpha, but unfortunately they still have to use the name changes and monster names that Plus Alpha came up with for future games. Sending them a letter won't really fix this. It would be like demanding SE change back all the names they've changed over the years, including in Chrono, Final Fantasy, Mana, etc.

The best we can hope for now is that the new people who have done the translations for DQVI and IX will work to lessen the accents and tone it down on the name changes. They already have done much better than Plus Alpha, but unfortunately they still have to use the name changes and monster names that Plus Alpha came up with for future games.

As Varin points out, Plus Alpha did DQ9. 8-4 took over DQ6. (Which I suppose is why it went from Realms of Reverie to Realms of Revelation.) And as they changed that between games, (It was very clearly stated to be Reverie in DQ9) they presumably had the ability to go back to Barbara and Hassan, I figure. (Unless S-E made the executive decision, in which case, it wasn't on Plus Alpha there either.)

Well now I'm just confused. I heard someone else worked on DQIX. Now people are saying Plus Alpha did.

In any event, DQIX was much better than the previous games, aside from that one town where they just decided to throw in the hick accent again, all the location names changed. If it was someone in Japan making them do all these changes, then I'm even more worried for the series. It would be like Disney demanding that Lilo from Lilo and Stitch should just randomly have an Osakan accent because it would signify a different 'culture. But not knowing the various cultural differences between Hawaii and Osaka.

I think the DQVI name change was NoA's doing, because it's still Reverie in Europe.

They actually failed to amend that in Joker 2's credits. The DQVI monsters are still said to come from "Realms of Revelation", even though it isn't called that here.

Those people were WRRROOOOOOONNNGG!!

Since its return in 2005, the only people beside Honeywood and Plus Alpha that have worked on DQ have been Square Enix internal for Joker 1 and 2 and 8-4 for DQ VI. Internal is fine for the Monsters games. I'd rather 8-4 not return. Don't feel bad for them. They get plenty of back patting from NeoGAF.

If I was given a choice on who would translate the next DQ game....I would pick DQTranslations.

*People chuckle*

I'm serious.

*People start laughing*

I'm not joking!

*More people start laughing*

I'M BEING SERIOUS! STOP LAUGHING! :butbut:

Well now I'm just confused. I heard someone else worked on DQIX. Now people are saying Plus Alpha did.

In any event, DQIX was much better than the previous games, aside from that one town where they just decided to throw in the hick accent again, all the location names changed. If it was someone in Japan making them do all these changes, then I'm even more worried for the series. It would be like Disney demanding that Lilo from Lilo and Stitch should just randomly have an Osakan accent because it would signify a different 'culture. But not knowing the various cultural differences between Hawaii and Osaka.

If I had been in charge of dialects, I would have given Lilo a Ryukyuu dialect. Maybe even a Hataka one. Something more south-western for sure

If I was given a choice on who would translate the next DQ game....I would pick DQTranslations.

Oh, hell no! That guy who did localization for DQ V is a horrible, disgusting person. I heard he punted a baby once.

If I had been in charge of dialects, I would have given Lilo a Ryukyuu dialect. Maybe even a Hataka one. Something more south-western for sure

But now that Relic Hunter has been canceled, what's Tia Carrere gonna do for money, huh? What?!

Oh, hell no! That guy who did localization for DQ V is a horrible, disgusting person. I heard he punted a baby once.

Honestly, you seem to be a staunch advocate for Plus Alpha. And others have expressed not liking them.

In my opinion, I'd take anyone over Plus Alpha at this point. Well...anyone except someone like 'DeJap' who is a fan sub group who completely ruined DQV, Tales of Phantasia and other SNES games.

You didn't catch my DQTranslations joke.

The reason why I'm an advocate for Plus Alpha is even though they've made decisions I haven't always agreed with, they're still the best team the series has had. At this point, anyone else that's come along has imitated them and the results haven't been as good.

Wow, completely ruined? Sheesh, how easy it is to scorn translators now that there are plenty. Back when DeJap's translation was the ONLY one in existence for Phantasia, we treated it as it is, which is a slightly spiced up but otherwise perfectly fine translation. (And hey, they DIDN'T call it Kangaroo.) When it was a fantranslation or nothing, you took the fantranslation, even when they took a few liberties. It is not as though they drastically changed the plot or really anything but made for a few comedic scenes. Dunno where this huge hatred of DeJap's translation comes from.

And Dwaine: The answer apparently is Dancing with the Stars. I thought she had disappeared off of television after Relic Hunter.

Furthermore, baby-punting? The charges are really racking up. Next they'll do some Glory of Heracles games. The horror!