Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you like the recent localizations of DQ?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cool. You can disable sigs? :evillaugh: Well, I have to try it at least once. :tounge:

Right! Back on topic. I know this has been done before, but I'm not sure that it's ever been put in poll form. I think I've got a pretty good idea of the general sentiment toward the recent localization. Basically some people hate it, while most are indifferent- at least toward the spell names any ways. It might be a different matter when it comes to accents, and pun-ishing the readers with all those frivolous puns. I'm not against the occasional pun, but when it gets in the way of the story I start taking notice. I personally prefer the old way of localization. Basically I just want to see where I stand. Am I alone in my views? Does every one like the new style? I don't think so. At least not here on the Den. But I think there are those who might have taken a liking to some aspects of it.

Ok, so I'm assuming there's two main groups: those who like the old style, and those who like the new. Both can't be satisfied, right? Wrong. Looking at this from a purely technical point of view, there's no reason why two translations can't be included in future games. I'm assuming that SE uses translation files(.po for human translation) like everyone else. It'd make it easy and dead simple to include another translation. Wow. That's a lot of assumptions.

From a Economical standpoint, it only makes sense to do one translation per language. Tell the minority to stuff it, and feed the masses what they've always been fed. They know we'll buy their product regardless. Let's face it, it's what we always do.

So, the obvious conclusion for one who is trying to please both parties is this:

Convince SE to let the die-hard fans do a translation of their own and have it in the official game.

Given SE's past reluctance to have customer support forward them ideas, a compromise might be impossible. O_o

Thoughts?

A town name should: Be the same name except in rare circumstances as it was in the Japanese version.

Good point. Edited. I'll throw my vote to that as well.

Feels like I've said this a bagillion times. Plus Alpha's the best. SE internal's OK. 8-4, no!

I understand the criticisms on both sides of the card. My biggest objections have been when the localization changes the original tone of the heavier scenes and characters. The quality of writing isn't an issue. Take the game away and it's still great stuff. That's why I don't want Plus Alpha to go away, because DQ can be a tough sell to the English audience and to have it read like another so-so localization wouldn't help matters.

I feel indifferent towards the puns, but I kind of like the new names themselves.

I love the Accents, it makes the speech seem more authentic. I don't care either way about the Character Names being puns.

I think the place should both be its original name, and tell you what its purpose is.

With the spell/ability names there are some that are better and some that are worse.

Things that I feel were made better:

Wind spells (Woosh, Swoosh, Kaswoosh - previously Infernos, Infermore, Infermost)

Thin Air (Previously Vacuum)

Wind Sickles (Previously WindBeast)

Magic Burst (Previously Mega Magic)

Buff/Kabuff (Previously Upper/Increase... not specific enough)

Kasap (Previously Defense)

Things that I feel were made worse:

Zoom (Previously Return)

Multifists (Previously QuadHits)

Fire spells (Frizz, Frizzle, Kafrizzle - previously Blaze, Blazemore, Blazemost || as well as Sizz, Sizzle, and Kasizzle - previously Firebal, Firebane, and Firebolt)

Sweet Breath (Previously SleepAir)

Zing/Kazing (Previously Vivify/Revive)

Kaclang (Previously Ironize)

About the same:

Evac (Previously Outside)

Heal spells

Safe Passage (Previously Stepguard)

Still needs work either way:

Mercurial Thrust (Previously SquallHit... I really like the fan-translation of First Strike... wouldn't mind taking the name from the similar Final Fantasy X ability - Quick Hit)

Oomph (Previously TwinHits... and Bikill)

Hatchet Man (Previously EvilSlash... and I have a whole other rant as part of this - spells/abilities that share a name should do the same thing [i.e. in DQVIII you learned Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust for a 50% chance to miss, 25% chance to hit, or 25% chance to crit, then they would upgrade to Executioner and Lightning Thrust for 50% chance to miss, 50% chance to critical... then in DQIX the same skill trees had Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust for 50% chance to miss, 50% chance to critical]... in any event I feel that Executioner is a more fitting name for the ability.)

Edit: ...why did I even type all of this?

Jokes and puns have a time and place, not thrown at you constantly. While i don't mind side / not plot important characters names having some sort of pun, they should never be used in a way that makes the player shake his head and figure out the "plot twist" that they were involved in, just by the name.

Ex. In DQ5 when you are trying to restore Zenithia, it turns out that Dr.Agon is really....Massive spoilers here.

The Zenith dragon.

Even playing the game the first time i knew exactly who he was the moment i read his name.

*shudders* I can only imagine how much of a mood shift DQ7 would have been if it was as "punny" as 9.

I don't really prefer the new localization because it's pun heavy, it just seems better than the localization I was initially familiar with, which I believe is referred to as the second generation (basically when Enix tried making a return, when we got the first Monsters games, VII, and I think a few of the mystery dungeon titles). I still got into those games, but even then, before ever even knowing an VIII was in the works, there was something crude and bland about how things were done. While VII might be a treasure trove of hilarious quotes, a lot of the translation still came off to me as a bit unprofessional, not to mention having a fair deal of spelling and grammatical goofs. Even if a lot of the new titles have been pun heavy, I still think they often read better than how things did back then.

At this point I can't recall what my reaction was when I first played VIII and saw what they did to the spell names, but they've grown on me by now. I think the style they use goes better with the style of the series in general, though there are still old names that I prefer over the new (namely Thordain over Kazap / Kazapple). Plus, can you think of any other series where a monster is stated to be vulnerable to Crack? That's hilarious, yo.

I typically like accents that can be read, but I think they tend to work a lot better when spoken. I think there were a lot of folks that were intollerant of IV's recent localization due to how every in-game region seemed to have an accent to it. I think the only troubles I really had was reading the... Scottish ones, I think? All the bairns and aechs and... I just don't know how to go about pronouncing any of that. Morag's accent in IX was also pretty vexing since I had no idea how to pronounce it, and that kinda made it more difficult for her to come across as a sultry witch. No offense to those who have her accent, of course, I just don't know how it's precisely said. I also think they could've done more with the 'Russian accent' since they only seemed to omit certain words now and again and throw some odd ones in there.

I'm sort've slow on the uptake, so I don't mind when a character's name is a pun. Heck, I don't think I picked up on the whole Dr Agon thing immediately, and that's one of the most obvious ones they've made. I will say that they should probably make the puns a bit more clever for those that can quickly spot that sort've thing, especially if it can potentially spoil a later story element.

To be honest, I never really cared about the names of towns. Even now I can't really drum up any care for that matter, because I think a town usually matters to me based on what it has, and not what its name is :P

All-in-all, I like how the series has gone recently as far as localization, even if it has tons of groan-inducing puns. Chances are I'm too oblivious to notice most of them. It kinda gives the series its own flavor over here.

I. Hate. The. New. Spell. Names.

Whoever turned Blaze into Frizz can go WALK INTO A VOLCANO.

Fire spells (Frizz, Frizzle, Kafrizzle - previously Blaze, Blazemore, Blazemost || as well as Sizz, Sizzle, and Kasizzle - previously Firebal, Firebane, and Firebolt)

These are the ones I have the most issues with because of user friendliness. If they had stuck with Blaze and rewritten the other two, it would look better beside the Sizz family. Crack also sounds more akin to lightening than ice.

Honestly, I love the new-style translations. And this is coming from someone who grew up with the old games!

Then again, I'm a big fan of Working Designs and their work with the Lunar series and others. Lots of jokes and stuff thrown in to what is otherwise a completely bland RPG script, while keeping the tone of the storyline the same.

DQ has never come across as a series that takes itself too seriously IMO, so jokes and puns and silly spell names tend not to feel out-of-place to me. I mean, this IS a series where you fight ridiculous-looking monsters and occasionally have girls in bunnysuits on your party - it's part of what we love about it, but it's okay to chuckle at it a bit!

I also feel like the older translations come across as crude and almost TOO "to-the-point", so to speak. Such as Upper, Increase, and TwinHits. They're trying way too hard to tell you exactly what they do, but the limited space prevents them from being 100% obvious. Again, this makes it seem bland to me, as opposed to silly spell names like they have in the original JP version.

I think the original DW's Olde English script gave it a lot of charm at the time, so in many ways that's the classic equivalent to the accents we have today. This really isn't anything new in the series if you think about it.

So, anyway! I'm overjoyed we have DQ games being released nowadays and I actually adore their quirkiness <3

Okay. Time to give my own input:

1. Localization: The puns are really stupid. I mean REALLY stupid. I dont mind if you throw one at us every now and then, but when more than 30% of your games dialouge includes dialouge related to puns, it stops being funny and is just groan worthy. So yeah. Screw that stuff.

2. Spell names: **** these things with a stick. I cant stand these names at all. While some of the old spell names may have been generic, these spell names are just dumb. Instead of changing the spell names to be closer to the japanese names...they went with names like Frizz, Sizz, Crack, Kaclang, etc. What are we 3rd graders?! I mean cmon! This is shameless. So much for treating these spells with a shred of dignity. My god! *sigh* Moving on.

3. Accents: When they did the Olde English in DW1 it was pretty good. They knew how to use it in such a way that it blended well with what they were saying. If we are talking about the dialects in games like DQ4 or DQ5 DS...then NO! These dialects were terrible. I sometimes had trouble even seeing what they were saying. It felt really fake. So I really dont think they should continue with this.

4. Character Names: When it comes to names of people I definately think they should stick close to the original names as much as possible. Giving them pun names kinda shows laziness and kinda makes it difficult to take them seriously. Especially if they are in a serious scene in a game.

5. Town Names: Again try to stick to the original names. I would constantly get confused on which place was what cause all the names of places in DQ4 and DQ5 DS had such weird names. Try to stick to the originals please.

6. Conclusion: I really hope that in future games they try to be a little more respectful to past games when it comes to the changes. Odds are tho thats not going to happen. If ya really want to know how to do something like this right...then have Working Designs work on it. They know how to this very well.

7. Rating: All things considered I have to give this a....wait...what do you mean I cant rate this? I dont care if its not a review! Okay fine! I wont rate it. >_>

As a quick reminder: Working Designs is dead. Victor Ireland is now running Gaijinworks.

Instead of changing the spell names to be closer to the japanese names...they went with names like Frizz, Sizz, Crack, Kaclang, etc.

They were trying to bring it in line with the English equivalent of what the Japanese names are - they're just onomatopoeias. In that respect, they did a fine job. Going with a direct translation may have made more sense, but when trying to acquire new gamers to your series it's better to try and make them not feel alienated... seeing a bunch of Japanese-sounding words doesn't sit well with many people.

As a quick reminder: Working Designs is dead. Victor Ireland is now running Gaijinworks.

Well crap. That would explain what happened to the Lunar series. Quite saddening.

Instead of changing the spell names to be closer to the japanese names...they went with names like Frizz, Sizz, Crack, Kaclang, etc.

They were trying to bring it in line with the English equivalent of what the Japanese names are - they're just onomatopoeias. In that respect, they did a fine job. Going with a direct translation may have made more sense, but when trying to acquire new gamers to your series it's better to try and make them not feel alienated... seeing a bunch of Japanese-sounding words doesn't sit well with many people.

That wasnt my issue with it. I can understand it not being directly japanese...but the names they chose really did insult me quite abit. And apparently I'm not alone in this since just about every DQ fan I know on Skype feels similarly. They wanted a change to the spell names...but not overly stupid ones like what we got. If ya like them fine. But I HATE them. -_-

But iOS users will soon have a redone Lunar : Silver Star SCD port, thanks to the guys who also did Vay. :D

I would say there are too many puns. Localization for me should be as close to the original game as possible except when people in other countries won't understand certain things. I liked how in Phoenix Wright they did that. I believe originally Maya was supposed to have another stomach solely for sushi, but the American version has it as hamburgers and the poor detective eats Ramen noodles. I don't have to think about what they are trying to say while they are speaking. I was just using examples I can remember off the top of my head, but they did attempt to make it so people from other countries can understand the game.

I probably prefer the old spell names and the town names. I think I was even complaining when they made the Lightning spell (over 200 damage to everyone) Thordain and Thordain to Alldain :). I do prefer Dharma but Alltrades has grown on me so the new names for some aren't terrible, but I do prefer the older ones. In conversations, I do tend to use the newer translations in case people haven't played the older ones.

Ragnar is one of my favorite DQ4 characters, but his accent is awful. I can't understand a thing his country is saying so yeah for the most part, the accents can go. Sancho however I didn't have a problem with maybe because he was the only person with an accent in DQ5.

I still want to throw the bright guy who thought of Frizz into a volcano.

If ya like them fine. But I HATE them. -_-

There are some good, some bad, and some STILL in need of help. See my first post in this topic for clarification.

Well crap. That would explain what happened to the Lunar series. Quite saddening.

Actually, if I recall what Vic Ireland said, there's a LOT of things that happened to the Lunar series, including a licensing and rights squabble in Japan. (It's why we'll never get a another really good Lunar game. Just shoddy ports/remakes.) I believe Studio Alex, the developers, pretty much got bankrupted by a legal fight with Game Arts, the Japanese publisher.

But iOS users will soon have a redone Lunar : Silver Star SCD port, thanks to the guys who also did Vay. :D

What is this about a redone Lunar SCD port? I was under the impression that it was the PSX version, and that nothing's been said on it for quite a while.

I believe originally Maya was supposed to have another stomach solely for sushi, but the American version has it as hamburgers and the poor detective eats Ramen noodles. I don't have to think about what they are trying to say while they are speaking. I was just using examples I can remember off the top of my head, but they did attempt to make it so people from other countries can understand the game.

I probably prefer the old spell names and the town names. I think I was even complaining when they made the Lightning spell (over 200 damage to everyone) Thordain and Thordain to Alldain :). I do prefer Dharma but Alltrades has grown on me so the new names for some aren't terrible, but I do prefer the older ones. In conversations, I do tend to use the newer translations in case people haven't played the older ones.

Ragnar is one of my favorite DQ4 characters, but his accent is awful. I can't understand a thing his country is saying so yeah for the most part, the accents can go. Sancho however I didn't have a problem with maybe because he was the only person with an accent in DQ5.

Pretty sure it was a second stomach for ramen. Also, keep in mind that Phoenix Wright was done by one of the best localizers currently working, Alexander O. Smith.

And I still feel that DQ4 was a mis-step translation-wise, as they went too heavily overboard on the accents. I don't mind them in the other games in the series, (heck, I think Porth Llafan's welsh "dwt"s in DQ9 are very amusing.) but DQ4 had them to the point where they made dialogue difficult to understand.

There should be an option for every poll question that says 'Kept the same as the original'.

Also, I said mild accents are okay considering games like Chrono Cross or Zelda which feature some mild accents. Obviously, games like Dragon Quest IV, V and Joker went WAY beyond those games. I also think DQVIII took too many liberties with the accents and forced too much 'British' into the series. But compared to the later games, DQVIII is quite tollerable. The bigger issue with DQVIII was the addition of voices, which is what led to the later text only games i nthe series to force so much accents in an attempt to sound like 'dialogue through text'.

Just read this to understand what was going on in their heads: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/13/square-enix-discusses-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-brides-localization/

No, they said it was going to be the SCD version, I think that whoever made the news posts used PSX images.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/07/05/first-screenshots-released-of-lunar-silver-star-story-touch/

SoMoGa played it a bit coy in an email to us, explaining that the version these screenshots are taken from is based on the Saturn remake, but that the Sega CD version is getting ported as well.

Pretty sure it was a second stomach for ramen. Also, keep in mind that Phoenix Wright was done by one of the best localizers currently working, Alexander O. Smith.

And I still feel that DQ4 was a mis-step translation-wise, as they went too heavily overboard on the accents. I don't mind them in the other games in the series, (heck, I think Porth Llafan's welsh "dwt"s in DQ9 are very amusing.) but DQ4 had them to the point where they made dialogue difficult to understand.

Yeah I don't exactly remember everything from Phoenix Wright so you probably are right.

It's been a while since I played DQ5 all the way through (I played it a 2nd time, but started at the marriage decision) and DQ9, but I don't recall it being as bad as DQ4. I actually wonder what they would do for a DQ7 remake. They would certainly change the spell names and town names, but I wonder if they would throw more accents in.

You are right, they aren't awful and can sometimes be funny (I rather liked Amos talking about being made of sterner stuff), just be less like DQ4 so I can actually figure out what they are saying :). I'm guessing this is more of a way to make them marketable to other countries, and if it gets more DQ games, then that's cool.

As much as I adore the accents, I'll agree that DQIVDS was pretty heavy on them. In particular I had almost no idea what was being said at the end of Ragnar's chapter xD

I was honestly unaware of all the hate the new-type DQ translations have gotten from oldschool fans. I don't recall anyone ever being really upset when we went from Cure 3 to Curaga in the FF series or anything... admittedly it's not QUITE the same thing, but, you know. One funny thing is that we've gone back to "Erdrick" after getting "Loto" in the GBC games, I thought that was kind of a neat shout-out to older fans.

Funny that Alexander O. Smith was brought up, I adore his translations as well, but you wouldn't believe the amount of hate his work with Final Fantasy Tactics has gotten! In that particular case, I did enjoy actually being able to understand the script, but I didn't like all the name changes (Algus to Argath, for example). I will probably always continue to use the original translation's names for stuff purely out of habit, but I do not outright hate the new changes, either.

I have several problems with the new translations. For me, it smacks of translators thinking they're more clever writers than the original creators. You'd never have this kind of disrespect for the source material with say, Final Fantasy.

Character names: What the hell is the point. Why change Flora to Nera? Because of the potential for pun with Bianca? That goes out the window when they don't change Debora. Worse yet is when the puns arbitrarily put in pop culture references (Josef Starling for example). Key characters DEFINITELY shouldn't have name changes.

Place Names: Again, unnecessary. In general, the Horii does a good job of creating unique sounding place names. I think the ONLY time I liked a translated name over the original name is Angel Falls vs Wollo Village. But that's it. Coffinwell was the worst.

Spell names: I used to be butthurt about it, but now I'm less so. I think quite a few of them miss the mark and are confusing to figure out what they do, but overall, it's not a bad attempt at localizing the Japanese names. Contrary to popular US opinion though, the Japanese names aren't onomatopoeia, they just nonsense words.

Text: Here is where I get the most upset. Their wanton use of dialects and puns and cultural references piss me off. Furthermore, when nearly ever scene has injected humor, it detracts from when the game actually is trying to be funny. Yes the series is more humorous than most other RPGs, but they're still fairly serious.