Sign in to follow this  
Mimas

Quest for the FooHero - Playing DQM2

If you've read the topic on the missing Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 (PS) you know that this site is missing a picture of the FooHero AKA Puchi Hero (Mini Hero). Since I own the game I figured I would see if I can get a picture to add to the list.

Here is my copy of the game.

img6319lz.jpg

As you can see, I got it used for $24.99 + tax. (I think at Hyper Game in West LA, but I might have picked it up at some seller at Anime Expo as well).

Here is the back.

img6320e.jpg

As you can see, there is a big hand that that says "No Resale". :rolleyes:

While I've probably owned the game for years, this is my first time playing it. I was told once that it was better to play the gameboy version first (which I don't yet own). In anycase. I'm not doing a complete playthrough this time. Just trying to get a Puchi Hero as fast as possible.

So I've choosen to play as "Iru" (Tara) the girl. Because I can. I don't know what difference this might make on getting a Puchi Hero, but with no further information my default choice is the girl.

At the start my brother Ruka and I come to the island of Maruta (Which could mean log, explaining the English name of "Great Log). I was suprised at how well the two of us get along. We ran into Warubou, who after terrorizing the rest of the town, decided to try and steal our Seed Cake and in the chase destroy the "Bellybutton" of the island. Now its losing its magic power, and Warubou says that the island will sink. We tried covering the hole with an expensive pot that we took from home, but it didn't do the trick (and it has a crack in it now, so we'll be in trouble with out Mom when she finds out.) Out only hope is to go to another world and try and find something with mysterious powers that can stop the hole (instead of Warubou who is filling the hole now).

Everyone seems to think we are either being fooled by Warubou our part of some joke and won't believe that the island is sinking. I myself am skeptical about if we should believe Warubou, but I won't turn down the chance to take our family slime Slash with me to visit other worlds. Unfortently, there is one person who believes us. A traveling merchant. While the town's merchant refused to sell to kids, I thought I had a chance in getting him to sell us stuff, but he just decides to leave while it is safe.

With keys from Warubou I'm able to go to the Oasis world where items seem to lie on the ground, and I slowly pick up some more monsters for my party. I think Slash is the best though. I can't see getting rid of him during this playthough. What seems odd is that it is hard to see how much money I have, and when I make it to town the inn will tell me, but no matter how many fights I am in I don't seem to get any more gold. The only way I can come up with for getting any cash flow is selling the items I pick up. And mostly they are just herbs.It least they come back if I leave the world and then return. Warubou also heals my monsters when I return from the other world.

After getting helping the king of the desert figure out what his water problem was (beaver monsters built a dam in the well) I also helped him fight off the thieves that were terrorizing everyone and kicked the beavers out from their original home. But the head of the theives appears to really be a Monster Master himself, who is serving some unnamed person. The king gave me an item as a reward, but in a scene that I'm expecting to see over and over, it didn't fill the hole, and Warubou has asked me to get the Pirate key and look in that world. The item I got does allow me to walk on water now though, so a ocean based world doesn't seem to bad. To get the key I needed to win the children's level of the monster tournament. Which was easy. I'm now recognized as a Monster Master. But it seems that the prince of the island, Kameha, begged his parents for a Pirate Key as well, so I will likely run into him somewhere in the new world.

So far no sign of anything having to do with a Puchi Hero. But I'm still early in the game. Can't even breed monsters yet.

Edited by Mimas

Hm... sounds like not much was changed when they translated it over here. I recall that hole being called the Log's Navel, which was probably easier to put in since bellybutton takes up more spaces :P

Seems like you're doing good, though, and yeah, I don't think monsters started dropping gold in the Monsters series until Caravan Heart rolled around, so I think your best way of getting gold is by selling stuff. If there are other ways of getting it, I can't recall at the mo'. Except on the field. And maybe chests. Chests might have gold. But yeah, selling stuff. Especially staves. Not sure of what changes they made in the remake / port, but those thing are usually worth a good amount when sold.

And did you get that thief's CurseLamp / malevolantern when you defeated him, yo? Because if you did, you might want to hold onto it. Whenever I played that game I made sure to hold onto that monster after realizing how amazing it is at the start. You might want to give it a shot if you don't have it in your team, yo, assuming it still joins you in the remake / port.

You might also want to revisit the desert world some time, check out the waterway again, maybe see how your beaver friends are doing...

I THINK FooHero / Puchi Hero / Mini Hero / conkuistador can be found in the wild at some point... but chances are my memories are getting mixed up with a time I wanted one and got it through breeding. But don't train it. Good lord, don't train it. I thought it was cool way back then, decided to breed one and make it part of my team and... gah. Awful. Just awful, yo. Don't do it, man. Just get the sprite and call it a day, yo. Never let that thing into your pen again after that.

Thanks so much for going to such effort to get this sprite for us Mimas. I also appreciate the running commentary on your game. It's a good read. Good luck hunting down that FooHero!

Well, the game will be "Over" for me when I get the Puchi Hero and his picture. I've always meant to play DQM 1 before DQM 2.

And did you get that thief's CurseLamp / malevolantern when you defeated him, yo? Because if you did, you might want to hold onto it. Whenever I played that game I made sure to hold onto that monster after realizing how amazing it is at the start. You might want to give it a shot if you don't have it in your team, yo, assuming it still joins you in the remake / port.

You might also want to revisit the desert world some time, check out the waterway again, maybe see how your beaver friends are doing...

Thanks for all your advice! Unfortunately I seem to be reluctant to sell those staves. I keep thinking, "But maybe I should use it". So far I've been avoiding spending much money though, so it isn't really a problem yet.

As suggested, I went back to the same world and tried out my water transportation, getting a few nice items, and a beaver monster. I've kept the CursedLamp on my team, but I'm seeing what is so great about it. I still think Slash is the best. In any case, I came to the pirate world, where it seems that there aren't currently any operating pirates. I did find an empty tower that seems to have a place at the top to put something. I then came across a town that was famous for once having mermaids. But it seems that due to the pirates, who are now dead, they don't want to show up in front of people anymore. In another town there is a drunk old man, and supposedly he was kidnapped by the pirates once and knew something. Prince Kameha showed up then, with two lackeys, but they couldn't get him to wake up so they just left. The people at the bar said that the drunken man would wake up from his drink induced slumber if he sensed an ocean monster approaching him. So as I went in a cave looking for a monster that was supposed to be a good dancer I immediately turned around after a sea monster joined my group. But to my dismay, he wouldn't wake up from just any sea monster. So back down in the cave I went to try and get a dancing octopus to join my party. I really wanted the octopus as a way to lure out the mermaids, but as long as I had him I went to the old man first. This time he woke up, and told me the story of this world.

It seems that the pirates wanted to hide their treasure, and so they removed the Moon Stone from the light house that kept the tide up and so the rocky shores would now protect the island from invasion. One of the items that they had stolen is the "Mirror of destruction" which I am sure is the next item I will futilely attempt to fill a hole with. Since the Moon Stone had come from the mermaids I then got a bard to start playing some music for me in the town known for once having mermaids, and me and my monsters started dancing about in a way that made me wonder how we managed to stay on our feet and not throw up. A mermaid must have been impressed with that accomplishment as well, as she came out of the water and congratulated us on our great dancing and invited us to meet the mermaid queen. But the mermaid queen isn't of much use, she gets attacked by that same character who ran the thieves den in the last world, but she is able to fend him off. But as she doesn't have the Moon Stone I have to board the hidden until now haunted pirate ship to get the treasure.

On each floor of the pirate ship there was a different pirate to fight before I could make it any further. None was particularly strong. On the top deck the pirate mentioned a rope before he disappeared. Checking the rope there was stairs leading down to a treasure room where I figured the Moon Stone must be hidden. So I continued exploring the ship instead, and saw a captain like monster that I decided to fight. Well, it ended up he had the Moon Stone, so after defeating him I received the stone and the ship disappeared without me ever knowing what the other treasure was. Thats when I went to reset the game. But I restrained myself. After all I hadn't saved this entire time I was playing, and I'm only playing for a Puchi Hero. So I quickly returned the stone to its place on the light house, and then went to get the treasure. Then I had to endure watching Prince Kameha, who followed me, "comically" fall down holes and get chased by bolders. I would be mad at him for pushing me around all the time, but as he always seemed to be pushing me out of trouble I wouldn't be surprised if he was purposely saving me. But I'm probably over thinking it, and I will see him comicly suffer in the next world as well. Because after getting the "Mirror of Destruction" I returned home and saved.

Ha ha. Thanks for the update Mimas. I quite enjoy reading the recaps of your quest for the Puchi Hero.

Thanks! Though I wish I was playing the game in smaller chunks because it makes each reading a bit long, and I forgot some of the things I wanted to say when I write everything down when I play a whole land in one go.

hero.png

Yay! Thanks! The Puchi Hero! Now I can delete that save file! (stupid haunted pirate ship and its stupid forced disappearance. I want my treasure.)

hero.png

Yay! Thanks! The Puchi Hero! Now I can delete that save file! (stupid haunted pirate ship and its stupid forced disappearance. I want my treasure.)

Now you can play DQM1 instead. First. :P

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Now you can play DQM1 instead. First. :P

Exactly! Now I just need to figure out if I should try and track down the GB version first, play this version, or buy and play the 3DS bundle version.

I can't say anything for the 3DS version since it's not out yet (I personally don't care for the Joker games and that's basically what it's going to be remade as), but between the GBC version and the PS1 version, the PS1 version is the way to go.

Yeah, the whole "scouting" thing isn't really my cup of tea, but if you get money from battles I would consider that an improvement. I'll get the 3DS version eventually either way (and the GB version). But if you don't think there are any drawbacks to the PS version than playing that version makes the most sense since I actually own it now. :wink: Chances of finding the GB version without another trip to Japan seems low, and its probably best to play the original rules version of the game before the Joker rules version.

Thanks again for your help!

The PSX version is just graphically enhanced and linked with DQM2.

And it also allows the three event monsters from DQM2 to be obtained. (Now, the two cellphone monsters...not so much.)

Also, no, DQM1 and 2 do not give money from battles. Gotta sell stuff or collect it laying around.