Sign in to follow this  
Farlon

Dragon Quest Animations

Hello there!

I am currently working on a Dragon Quest game in RPG Maker 2000.

I am using Dragon Quest 1/5 SNES graphics and I am in need of the battle animations!

The animations I am looking for are things like spells, weapon animations and battle sound effects.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had any of these that may help! Thanks ~ :)

That would be helpful for my game as well...but so far I havent seen anyone that can help with that. : (

my only suggestion would be to fiddle around with the layers of a SNES emulator and get it so the battle backgrounds and monster sprites are off (black) so then you have a clear picture of the animation then slow down the frame rate so you can see it frame by frame and snap pictures of it, either by a screen shot or the print screen button whichever works, and then use those to help make the animation in RPG Maker.

this is all just speculation on my part since I've never attempted to do anything like this, but if I were, I'd try starting there.

You can use those emulators to get a full-frame AVI dump of the animation. If you are able to, turning off the backgrounds like Hawkeye77o4 suggested will help a lot when it comes to removing the backgrounds.

Once you have the full-frame AVI, you can use a tool like VirtualDub to dump each AVI frame as a separate image. Then you can do a quick background removal from each frame (this is the part that is much easier if you were able to turn off the background in the emulator) using a program like The GIMP. Finally, you use something like The GIMP to reassemble the frames into a GIF. I have used this technique on anything from NES and SNES games to DS and Wii games. Same process applies. Here are some samples:

Joker2_Hero.gifJoker2_Hero.gifSlimeKnight.gifTaggingSlime.gifSleepingSlime.gifJailCatFinal.gif

Merman.gif

GrimRider.gif

FleuretteRip00.gifFleuretteRip.gif

Fleurette_WIP-1.gif

Co-op_De_Grace-Quadraslash.gif

Here is what it might look like straight from the emulator, if you are able to turn off the background. This is before you remove the background from each frame:

Stella_Test.gif

I believe if you are clever enough, you can use a script to automatically remove background from each frame. I would love to help with something like this but I am so strapped for time lately that I can barely keep the contests going like I should be. Actually I have totally been slacking on that as well...

Anyway, I can certainly help with advice and walking you through steps if needed. Flute_Warrior and cybersavior are great at this kind of thing (much better than me) so maybe they might have some suggestions as well. Anyway, that's all I got for now.

FinGif.gifLogGif.gif

I know with turning off the background in emulators a lot of the time the transparent portion of the visual effects is no longer visible, and if you frame by frame capture them with the background on, it can be that much harder to separate the effect from the background.

If you turn off transparency in Snes9x you will actually lose a portion of the effect as well as it will not appear (generally the full screen effects are lost), so that does not work either for those that have more visual effects.

One thing I have been working on is changing a couple complete background scenes from each game with a tile editor to a very Dark grey color and that makes it easy to capture frame by frame with zsnes anyway, even the transparent layers.

Regarding RPG maker 2000 and 2k3, its heavily time sensitive, but capturing each frame and making effect sheets for each spell is the best way to go, unfortunately each spell must use one sheet and it is only possible to have 25 separate images per sheet, and some of the more extravagant spells use more than 25 different images.

Edited by cybersavior

Is VirtualDub free? I have every single battle animation from DW7 in avi form, with the transparent layer black. I'd like to use these in my own game, and although I probably can't upload the rips because there are so many, I can tell you how to get them if you are interested (you have to have your PS1 discs, and not an iso).

Thanks for the help! I might give the turning off the layers in an emulator trick, but if that doesn't go well then I will try using the different ripping programs.

I'll post my progress :L and thanks! :D

Is VirtualDub free? I have every single battle animation from DW7 in avi form, with the transparent layer black. I'd like to use these in my own game, and although I probably can't upload the rips because there are so many, I can tell you how to get them if you are interested (you have to have your PS1 discs, and not an iso).

Yep, VirtualDub is free. It's also awesome. You can find it at sourceforge. And I would love to have those battle animations in AVI form. Is there anyway I could convince you to upload it for me? We could see if Woodus will give you a temporary FTP account at the Den so you could directly upload them without needing to use Mediafire or some such service.

I would love to rip them myself from the discs but I have very little spare time for that lately. Would you mind going over the process anyway? I am curious as to how it's done.

Thanks for the help! I might give the turning off the layers in an emulator trick, but if that doesn't go well then I will try using the different ripping programs.

I'll post my progress :L and thanks! :D

Awesome, good luck!

If Woodus will let me, I don't mind uploading them. In fact, I think there should be a permanent page for them in the DW7 section if Woodus doesn't mind putting them up there.

To rip them, you need a program that I think is called "PSMPlay" or something like that from Zophar's Domain PSX utilities (I know that program is on there, but I might be thinking of a different program. I'm not at my computer now and won't be until next weekend.) Insert your PlayStation disk, click the button that says something like read and convert. You will probably get a window saying something about uploading CDDA information, you don't need too, I don't think the server works anymore. Make sure that all the plugins (included) are checked, and then start. It may take a few minutes, but then the window will fill up with a bunch of files with the same name except for a number. Each and every sound and video that it can read will be on there. You can then export all of these as .WAV or .AVI files. I'm sorry this isn't very detailed, but if I have a chance I will make a proper tutorial.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Awesome, that would be great. I will take with Woodus now about getting that FTP enabled for you.

Thanks!

I have the account setup and PMed you the login details. Let me know when the files are uploaded and I will take a look at them.

Okay, but the earliest I can do it is Saturday, Friday if I'm really lucky.

Oh, no hurry at all. Just the fact you can send them our way is great.