Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Apparently the beta test began today

From 2ch it looks like they made Martial Artists a little weaker in 2.0 so that Warriors seem better. They decreased the chances of (ugg what is the English word for tension again?), not just from 50 to 100 but each other step. They also made claws, which hit twice, weaker.

Thank you so much for all the info Mimas! Been excited for this game since its announcement.. I'm a fan since DW1 but welcome this style of gameplay. The idea of playing online with other Dragon Quest fans is amazing. I bought 3 friends copies of IX but only 1 of them ended up playing it a lot. So glad to hear all about the impressions of the Beta Testers! Also I really hope its possible to import since a game as massive as this with server costs seems really unlikely to be released in the US.

Yep, playing with other fans is what I'm looking forward to the most. Considering that the WiiU version can't be that far behind the Wii version in production, it should show up soon after the WiiU goes to market. I'm sure Nintendo will want to get as many WiiU games out on the NA market as they can. So worst case I think we will get a US release of the WiiU version. I'm still importing it of course. It might not be easy to play the JP version in America, but it will be impossible for them to completely stop it.

Yow, about 1000 posts per day for the DQX topic? That's a ton to go through, yo. Sorry if what I asked threw you off of something more pressing. I realized later that asking about player feedback on a monster is something I'd be more interested in, and not so much other folks. Should probably think my questions through better, gah.

Well, it has kept me from translating the DQX website, but it isn't a big deal. I do want to know the information myself. As far as the monsters go, I am curious myself about what they are like, but 2ch doesn't really give a good feel for them at all. I'll have to wait for the game or videos to really get them. I'm sure other people are interested in the same questions as you, and I have no problem answering them when I can. I will probably be skimming thru 2ch more, and translating more instead because I think that it takes me less time to get more information that way. Especially since 2.0 doesn't seem to have been as big of a step.

From 2ch it looks like they made Martial Artists a little weaker in 2.0 so that Warriors seem better. They decreased the chances of (ugg what is the English word for tension again?), not just from 50 to 100 but each other step. They also made claws, which hit twice, weaker.

They probably should've made Warriors stronger instead of weakening Martial Artists, unless Martial Artists needed the nerf. Almost sounds a bit unfair to those playing, though it is only the beta and all. And it's still called tension over here, but the move typically used to increase it is Psyche Up. Not sure I'm fond of all increase attempts coming by chance, though I guess that was done to try to balance things out with spectators cheering battlers on.

I do like the sound of what's being done with the claws, mainly because I like multi-striking attacks. If both hands are using them, though, it makes it sound like you wouldn't be able to equip a shield since an earlier report mentioned that someone using a spear couldn't use a shield because holding the spear required both hands. Too bad none of the five tribes have extra arms :P

Let me just thank you again for what you're doing, Mimas, because it's gotta be tough. I'm not just saying this because of the effort required for effective translating, but also because I just ran that recent link of yours through google and saw a comment referencing someone's desire to see a female dwarf panty shot.

So seriously, thanks, yo. Some, myself included, may not realize the terror you've had to endure doing this.

Sounds like they're trying to make weapon types more unique. Not sure how to feel about this, we'll see how it plays out I suppose. Things are looking great so far. Thanks for the info Mimas, it's been great.

but also because I just ran that recent link of yours through google and saw a comment referencing someone's desire to see a female dwarf panty shot.

...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

They probably should've made Warriors stronger instead of weakening Martial Artists, unless Martial Artists needed the nerf. Almost sounds a bit unfair to those playing, though it is only the beta and all. And it's still called tension over here, but the move typically used to increase it is Psyche Up. Not sure I'm fond of all increase attempts coming by chance, though I guess that was done to try to balance things out with spectators cheering battlers on.

I do like the sound of what's being done with the claws, mainly because I like multi-striking attacks. If both hands are using them, though, it makes it sound like you wouldn't be able to equip a shield since an earlier report mentioned that someone using a spear couldn't use a shield because holding the spear required both hands. Too bad none of the five tribes have extra arms :P

Let me just thank you again for what you're doing, Mimas, because it's gotta be tough. I'm not just saying this because of the effort required for effective translating, but also because I just ran that recent link of yours through google and saw a comment referencing someone's desire to see a female dwarf panty shot.

So seriously, thanks, yo. Some, myself included, may not realize the terror you've had to endure doing this.

Yep, claws are two handed. There is a two handed sword that also keeps you from being able to equip a shield (I hear that there is a low level shield that any class can equip), but one of the skills you can get for that is blocking ability. On that note, there is no defend in the game.

Elf underwear is one thing. People were also talking about being a Puklipo so that they can have a low angle to take up skirt pictures. Not to mention the recent (though it luckily stopped a few threads back) ascii art of penises. I've been trying to not mention those types of things here, since they are both off topic, and unpleasant.

Sounds like they're trying to make weapon types more unique. Not sure how to feel about this, we'll see how it plays out I suppose. Things are looking great so far. Thanks for the info Mimas, it's been great.

Well, the beta players seem pretty happy at least. Since they are still adjusting stats though, who knows how things will go in the final game.

No defending, huh? I wonder what that will spell for skills such as Defending Champion and Pincushion? I recall seeing a character taking a blow for someone in that trailer (ala Rashaverak tail block from DQIX's opening) so maybe defensive skills like Whipping Boy and Forbearance will remain intact, unless the in-battle movement can be done to simulate the skill, which would probably look kinda funny :P

Not to mention the recent (though it luckily stopped a few threads back) ascii art of penises.

Ah, someone said something before in this thread... where was it?... Ah, here it is.

It's good to know that despite supposed cultural and lingual barriers message board bullshit is the same everywhere.

Elf underwear is one thing. People were also talking about being a Puklipo so that they can have a low angle to take up skirt pictures.

4cD3U.jpg

between JP wii shop channel and JP square enix acct, i'm nervous about importing.. but if its possible, i'm definitely interested.

balance is key in a game like this. If one melee job is weaker than another, not only will people not want to play that job, but those that do could find others not willing to play with them (as their job is gimped). This was the fate of Dragoon in Final Fantasy XI for years.

Famitsu has a write up on their time playing the Beta with a lot of pictures as well.
  • Upvote 1

Heeeeey, you can equip the leery lout's shield! Ahahahahahaha!! Awesome. Let's hope some other monster shields are made available. Harmour's comes to mind.

I also get a feeling from these screens how the battles start, though it might've already been pointed out. The impression I'm getting is that it starts out looking like the standard fights (monsters lined up side to side) but then it goes to what we've seen of the fights, the whole free-moving, monsters and characters anywhere bit.

And that one equipment screen looks interesting, because the character appears to have both a hammer AND a knife (or is that a sword?) equipped. Chances are I've missed something that's been mentioned before about equipment...

OH MY GO-- a killing machine figurine for the room!? Yessssssssssssssss

Have spotted a good number of monsters I don't recall seeing before. The moles, for one, along with the eggplants from VII (the orange ones, to be exact). Also noticed a screen that appeared to have a green and blue slime side by side. I didn't see a she-slime, so it might've not been the stack. Maybe the slime knight's steed is finally flying solo as its own species in a main series title? (actually, the three seem to be together in the first pic with a swap of that big hat, not stacked, so that probably ain't the case, poor booger slime) I also noticed one of the butterfly dragons from VI, though I think they popped up before.

Thanks for the awesome find, Mimas. A lot of cool stuff in that link.

whoa! holy screenshot dump. that's fantastic! thanks for the link.

I liked the screenshot where the onion monsters actually sprout out of the ground of an onion farming field.

All these interactions of the monsters with the environment are great.

The press conference where they announced the release date of the game also featured information about the Beta as well.

Since the Beta test began February 23 they have been increasingly adding to the types of people playing the game, including people who have never played online games before to Elementary students (the game is rated all ages). Currently they have shipped 17,000 Beta sets out, and 13,087 people are currently playing the game, meaning 77% of people with kits are playing (which they consider a very high percentage). They plan on eventually having 30,000 to 50,000 beta testers. For the next phase, 2.1, they plan on sending out 3,000 to 5,000 kits (Emails have already gone out now to those who have won). For this new phase they plan on having the servers run for 24 hours straight, add Pot Alchemy, Spirit Bombs (Genki Dama), things concerning communication, and increasing functionality for teams.

The peak hour of play is 10:00pm, which is an hour earlier than most online games, reflecting the non-traditional players that are currently playing. There is another spike a little before dinner, which they suggest is housewives playing the game. The most popular character type is male Weddi (3,370), followed by male Ogre (2,933), male Puklipo (2,601), female Elf (2,593), and then female Weddi (2,524). Most popular job is warrior (4,638), followed by priest (3,957), thief(3,491), martial artist(3,276), mage(2,869). Largest amount of gold accumulated is 273,000, with an average of 8,730G. Largest number of fights is 16,500 with an average of 1,589.

One of the ways that they are going to decide when Kids Time should be is having a survey filled out by families that attend the Dragon Quest X demo events. The time with the most responses will be used.

After the conference they let the media play the game (this took place in a Square Enix conference room). They seemed to have played part of the Ogre storyline which involves you going to the king of Glen to ask to join the military there, but end up being identified as someone else and thrown in jail. The Kingdom is in a difficult situation, and the king has been acting differently lately. In prison with you is the sage Eidos who knows how to return the king to normal. Based on the things I've heard reading 2ch I think a holy grail is involved, but the article author doesn't say any more, and I think that was the end of their game.

Yow, sounds like things are about to get serious with the new phase. All day server access, alchemy, and... Spirit Bombs? Is that something new to the games? Because I'm getting some DBZ flashbacks here :P

Not sure what to think about the top two popular race/gender choices being the bishi and musclemen. Guess those housewives want something nice to look at :P And no love for the dwarves, apparently. Sad. Priest vocation being popular might speak some for the game's difficulty, and it seems like folks had enough of Minstrels in IX, too.

... but end up being identified as someone else and thrown in jail.

WHY did they make this a recurring thing?

... but end up being identified as someone else and thrown in jail.

That's the most classic of RPG story-lines, it's never going away!

Horii is drawing from his lengthy arrest record.

• Upvote 1

Kinda wish it would go away, yo. Still, might be funny to take pics of your friends in the slammer, this being an MMO and all.

Ahahaha, ahh, that explains everything.

Housewives playing the game? I love that!

Imagine you're married and what better activity to relax to after a tough day at work or doing the house chores than to sit around and play DQ.

Oh you. :P:thumbsup:

The twitter account for X really let loose recently on stuff related to the beta, I think. Still googing it and all :P

Here's a breakdown of what I saw of it, from earliest to most recent (as opposed to how twitter displays most recent at the top)

ドラゴンクエストX å…¬å¼ã‚¢ã‚«ã‚¦ãƒ³ãƒˆã§ã™ã€‚本日4æ—¥ã¯ã‚µãƒ¼ãƒãƒ¼ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã‚’実施予定ã§ã™ã€‚ã‚‚ã—ã‹ã—ãŸã‚‰ã€ãŠã©ã‚‹ã»ã†ã›ãã«ä¼šãˆã‚‹ã‹ã‚‚。。?時間ã¯15時〜18時ã®å†…ã€ã©ã“ã‹ã§1時間ã ã‘を予定ã—ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã®ã§ã”注æ„ã‚’ï¼

ã‚ãã¾ã§ã‚µãƒ¼ãƒãƒ¼ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã€ ã§ã™ã‹ã‚‰ã€å®Ÿæ–½å¾Œã«äºˆæœŸã›ã¬äº‹ãŒèµ·ããŸã‚Šã€äºˆå®šæ™‚é–“ã‚’å¾…ãŸãšã—ã¦çµ‚了ãªã©ã®å¯èƒ½æ€§ã‚‚ã‚ã‚Šã¾ã™ã®ã§ã€ã“ã¡ã‚‰ã¯ã”了承ãã ã•ã„ã¾ã›ã€‚

ãŠã©ã‚‹ã»ã†ã›ãã«ä¼šãˆã‚‹ã‹ã‚‚?ãªã€è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã®è©³ç´°ã¯ã€å†’険者ã®åºƒå ´>トピックスをã”覧ãã ã•ã„。

å°‘ã—ã ã‘補足ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã™ã€‚è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã«ãŠã©ã‚‹ã»ã†ã›ãã¯é–“é•ã„ãªã登場ã—ã¾ã™ï¼ãŒã€ä½•ã‹èµ·ãã‚‹ã‹ã‚‚ã—ã‚Œã¾ã›ã‚“ã—ã€å˜ç´”ã«è¦‹ã¤ã‹ã‚‰ãªã„ã‹ã‚‚ã—ã‚Œã¾ã›ã‚“。ãã®ãŸã‚ã€ä¼šãˆã‚‹ã‹ã‚‚?ã¨è¡¨ç¾ã•ã›ã¦ã„ãŸã ãã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

冒険者ã®åºƒå ´ï¼žãŠçŸ¥ã‚‰ã›ã«ã€æœ¬æ—¥ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã«ã¤ã„ã¦ç¶šå ±ã‚’記載ã—ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚様々ãªè² è·ã‚’確èªã™ã‚‹ãŸã‚ã«ã€ç´°ã‹ã„実施時間や場所ãªã©ã¯äº‹å‰ã«ãŠä¼ãˆã—ã¾ã›ã‚“ã®ã§ã€ã”了承ãã ã•ã„。

è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆãŒå§‹ã¾ã‚Œã°ã€ã©ã“ã‹ã«ã€ŒãŠã©ã‚‹ã»ã†ã›ãã€ãŒå‡ºç¾ã—ã¾ã™ã‚ˆãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»

ç¾åœ¨ã€å†’険者ã®åºƒå ´ï¼žã‚µãƒ¼ãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒ†ãƒ¼ã‚¿ã‚¹ã§ã€Œä¸€éƒ¨ãƒ­ã‚°ã‚¤ãƒ³ä¸å¯ã€ã¨ãªã£ã¦ã„ã¾ã™ãŒã€ã“ã¡ã‚‰ã¯è¡¨ç¤ºã®ä¸å…·åˆã§ã™ã€‚ç¾åœ¨ãƒ­ã‚°ã‚¤ãƒ³ã¾ã§å•é¡Œãªãã§ãã¦ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚

ドラゴンクエストX 公å¼ã‚¢ã‚«ã‚¦ãƒ³ãƒˆã§ã™ã€‚本日ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã¯ã€ã¾ã•ã«ã€Œæ§˜ã€…ãªçŠ¶æ³ã€ã‚’確èªã—ã¾ã™ã®ã§ã€ã”å”力ã„ãŸã ã‘るテスターã®çš†æ§˜ã¯ã€ã¾ã•ã«å€‹ã€…ã§æ€ã„æ€ã„ã®è¡Œå‹•ã‚’ã¨ã£ã¦ã„ãŸã ã‘ã‚Œã°ã¨æ€ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ã”å”力よã‚ã—ããŠé¡˜ã„ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

本日ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã€17時ã¾ã§ã®é–‹å‚¬ã€ã‚ã¨ã‚‚ã†å°‘ã—・・・ãŠã€ãªã«ã‚„ら負è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆä¼šå ´ã«é»„色ã§å¤§ãã„モンスターãŒå‘ã‹ã£ã¦ã„るらã—ã„ã¨ã®æƒ…å ±ãŒãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»ï¼Ÿ

本日ã®è² è·ãƒ†ã‚¹ãƒˆã¸ã”å‚加ã„ãŸã ã„ãŸãƒ†ã‚¹ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã®çš†æ§˜ã€ã‚ã‚ŠãŒã¨ã†ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚最後ã¯ã‚´ãƒ¼ãƒ«ãƒ‰ãƒžãƒ³ã‚‚ã‚らã‚れるイベントã¨ãªã‚Šã¾ã—ãŸï¼

開発談「ã¾ã•ã‹ã‚´ãƒ¼ãƒ«ãƒ‰ãƒžãƒ³ã‚’倒ã›ã‚‹ãƒ‘ーティーãŒã„ã‚‹ãªã‚“ã¦ãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»ã€ã¨ã®ã“ã¨ã§ã™ã€‚倒ã—ãŸãƒ‘ーティーã®çš†æ§˜ã€ãŠã‚ã§ã¨ã†ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™ï¼ã™ã”ã„ï¼

What I'm assuming from what was translated was that they were testing how much the servers could be strained. There was also a lot of mention regarding a 'dance gem', which I'm going to guess is our fiendishly enfeebling friend the goodybag (aka dancing jewel and jewelbag, you know, the smiling burlap sack with all the riches floating around it). Guessing, mind. The rough translation almost makes it sound like it's rare or something. Then it apparently mentions something about log-in issues :P Anyway, after that there was word of a goldman, which I suppose is gold golem? I get the impression that the beta testers might be rolling in money at the moment (in the game, that is).

Of course, I probably shouldn't be making guesses like this, yo, which I've probably already said a bunch by now. Leave translating to the pros and such, which I'm not amongst. Ready to be corrected like a grade schooler's spelling test, yo.

Yep, phase 2.1 continues until this Friday, and as last week was the Japanese holiday week, "Golden Week" they had the servers running non-stop. Just as you understood they had a special event with Jewlbags which ended with Goldman/Goldgolem's coming out. One team at least was able to defeat one. This was done as an extreme server load test. The only thing you missed was that the log-in issue was really a non-issue. The servers let people log in, the problem was the website that shows the server status was broken and was claiming that there were log-in issues. That has been fixed now though.

You did a great job, and feel free to keep up the posts.

By the way here is another journalist write up on the Beta test experience.

And another.

And a write up about the first demo event. I'll try and write up about what it says later.

Thrown into a jail full of bishies and muscle men...

Anyway, my choice is the most popular one in Japan. I hope it is not the most popular one here (I think it will not be), since it would be weird to just be one of the masses.

Phase 2.1 ends Saturday 3am. Phase 3 won't start until June 21.

Though the game will be available two times, matching up to when they have the Demo events.

So it will be open May 25 (Fri) from 2pm to May 27 (Sun) 27:00 (probably 28th 3am)

The other time is June 15 (Fri) from 2pm to Jun 17 (Sun) 27:00 (probably 18th 3am)

They have also put out a survey for Beta players asking them things like what type of controller they use, if they use a keyboard,how they connect, and if they have had various problems connecting to play the game and how they overcame them.

I recall seeing something about surveys on the twitter. A few of the last things tweeted have been about that slime game, though :P

Seems like there's some big gaps in time here, though. Wondering if they'll be testing to see if there's any DQX withdrawal?

When is Terry's 3D game coming out? Could this be time for final improvements/time to let people buy DQM 3D?

When is Terry's 3D game coming out? Could this be time for final improvements/time to let people buy DQM 3D?

I think that game's to be released around the end of this month? It might be too late to make any last changes since they'd have to check for any bugs that might arise, I would imagine.

Would explain why the slime game would be getting mention on DQX's feed if TW3D's so close to being released, though, supposedly having connectivity with the slime thing and all. Not sure if X does.