Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Apparently the beta test began today

It's good to know that despite supposed cultural and lingual barriers message board bullshit is the same everywhere.

My concerns fall into two main categories: not thread-crapping, but I think we have reason to worry that our classic DQ experience is slipping away.

1. DQ = turn-based in my world, but this appears to be some pseud-real-time. Won't really know until we get our hands on it ourselves.

2. Mandatory online. This means if I play at my own (very slow) pace because of life, or don't get to it until 2 years later... I may have no one to play with. On top of which, what if it's my favorite DQ ever?!? 10 years from now I won't be able to relive it because the servers will be down.

• Upvote 1

My concerns fall into two main categories: not thread-crapping, but I think we have reason to worry that our classic DQ experience is slipping away.

1. DQ = turn-based in my world, but this appears to be some pseud-real-time. Won't really know until we get our hands on it ourselves.

2. Mandatory online. This means if I play at my own (very slow) pace because of life, or don't get to it until 2 years later... I may have no one to play with. On top of which, what if it's my favorite DQ ever?!? 10 years from now I won't be able to relive it because the servers will be down.

1. Yeah. I cant say i'm going to be fond of that. Especially if its anything like FFXI's battle system.

2. Yep. DQ may be worshipped in Japan...but the US market isnt near as huge. After about a year or so I bet the online participation will be pretty low. Heck...even DQ9 is pretty mellow compared to what it used to be. So unless this suddenly becomes the next World of Warcraft then we have a problem.

Edited by Tesla

I'm not excited about the loss of turn based battles, and the high chance that it will carry on past this game. Complaints about the server are also completely valid worries. But there really isn't anything that can be done about either of these. While I want turn based battles I can understand why they felt the need to change it for online games, and I think the different battle system will still be fun. If it is a Dragon Quest game at heart, which is what the Beta players seem to be saying, then I am sure I will enjoy the game. It probably won't be my favorite, but if it is enjoyable who am I to complain.

And this is another reason to play the Japanese version. :tounge: Server life will probably be longer. :evillaugh:

Edited by Mimas
  • Upvote 1

I'm not excited about the loss of turn based battles, and the high chance that it will carry on past this game. Complaints about the server are also completely valid worries. But there really isn't anything that can be done about either of these. While I want turn based battles I can understand why they felt the need to change it for online games, and I think the different battle system will still be fun. If it is a Dragon Quest game at heart, which is what the Beta players seem to be saying, then I am sure I will enjoy the game. It probably won't be my favorite, but if it is enjoyable who am I to complain.

And this is another reason to play the Japanese version. :tounge: Server life will probably be longer. :evillaugh:

It parallels what is happening to my all-time favorite RPG: Lufia 2. (Play it NOW if you haven't!)

In fact, I first picked up DW1 because it looked like it had turn-based battles like Lufia 2 (and the rest is history).

Lufia 2 was a pinnacle for that series and has none of the longevity of Dragon Quest which is why I've loved having an ongoing, highly successful series that sticks to those roots and turn-based battle. But recently they remade Lufia 2 for DS... hooray? Nope. Turned it into an action-RPG. It was still fun by itself, but it was not Lufia II. It was some other game with Lufia II's characters and a few key parts of the plot.

I fear the same is happening here. It will "be Dragon Quest" in that you will see blue slimes, mini medals, and puff-puff..... but it will not be Dragon Quest, the long-standing proof of the value of the turn-based formula to a legion of the genres fans. There are very few RPG's that turn-based fans can still play, but DQ has always been a haven for that. If it loses that, what makes it any different than every other action RPG, adventure RPG, FPS-RPG....... a sprite set?

Not trying to be pessimistic. It's just sad to think what future experiences we'll miss out on, not because a different direction is BAD... but because it IS DIFFERENT.

Long post short: I may enjoy DQX thoroughly, but I will miss the classic turn-based formula.

It parallels what is happening to my all-time favorite RPG: Lufia 2. (Play it NOW if you haven't!)

In fact, I first picked up DW1 because it looked like it had turn-based battles like Lufia 2 (and the rest is history).

Lufia 2 was a pinnacle for that series and has none of the longevity of Dragon Quest which is why I've loved having an ongoing, highly successful series that sticks to those roots and turn-based battle. But recently they remade Lufia 2 for DS... hooray? Nope. Turned it into an action-RPG. It was still fun by itself, but it was not Lufia II. It was some other game with Lufia II's characters and a few key parts of the plot.

I fear the same is happening here. It will "be Dragon Quest" in that you will see blue slimes, mini medals, and puff-puff..... but it will not be Dragon Quest, the long-standing proof of the value of the turn-based formula to a legion of the genres fans. There are very few RPG's that turn-based fans can still play, but DQ has always been a haven for that. If it loses that, what makes it any different than every other action RPG, adventure RPG, FPS-RPG....... a sprite set?

Not trying to be pessimistic. It's just sad to think what future experiences we'll miss out on, not because a different direction is BAD... but because it IS DIFFERENT.

Long post short: I may enjoy DQX thoroughly, but I will miss the classic turn-based formula.

Well lets not freak out just yet. I am very well aware of what happened to Lufia II (I think they are still getting hate letters) and I even made an audio review of Lufia II: Curse of the Sinistrals. (Although I wished I did a better job on it)

I'm still holding out on this game. Yuji Horii isnt exactly known for making bad games. :P

Edited by Tesla

I wonder when the idea that Dragon Quest "clings to tradition" came from. Probably around the time DQ7 came out, if I didn't know any better. The series used to be quite forward-thinking, as if asking "What should we do next to make a good game?" 7 and 8, and to large extent 9 seem to instead ask "What do we need to do to make a Dragon Quest game"

Chunk of original post moved to here, yo.

And as far as what Dragon Quest is, isn't that something for the individual to decide? While I likely have my own suspicions of the battle mechanics shift, I don't think turn-based fights is what makes the series what it is. If anything, I think the things that makes the series what it is is all the stuff that really annoys me when I play, which all boils down to the crummy RNG. So yeah, chances are I think a Dragon Quest game is decided by all the stupid instances of luck, and not its battle system :P The style, too, probably.

EDIT: I just realized that the news about the pics here probably doesn't belong in a topic regarding the beta XP Where might be a better place for this stuff to go if it doesn't fit here, yo?

Edited by PantheonSasuke

This one is always my fear with MMOs, at the same time though fans always find a way to get private servers up and working. I still play Phantasy Star Online on private servers for Gamecube from time to time.

I will miss it as well. But I'm trying to be optimistic. Even if all the remakes change the battle system, at least I will have the old games still.

EDIT: I just realized that the news about the pics here probably doesn't belong in a topic regarding the beta XP Where might be a better place for this stuff to go if it doesn't fit here, yo?

Well, one day I hope to get back to translating the official page, and then it would go there, but for now, we could probably use a DQX news thread.

Something just occurred to me. Skill points might not carry over when changing vocations, but what about skill sets that exist in multiple vocations? Such as Shield and Fisticuffs? Would the points dedicated to those sets carry over if you selected a vocation that also had them, or would they be treated separately?

And as far as what Dragon Quest is...

Bill-Clinton-Slick-Willy-depends-what-meaning-of-is-t-shirt.jpg

As long as I can play it as an American a few days after the release (since I have to rely on shipping time), I will be fine in whatever form the game is.

In 2004, when I imported DQVIII. I took a huge gamble as to whether or not I'd like it since prior to that I had only played DQ1 and 2.

I am going to take another gamble despite not really being interested in MMORPGs and I feel DQX will not let me down. They have to try VERY HARD to let me down.

Turn based is important to me because I love that battle style and it is disappearing in games. Part of why I really hooked in big-time to DQ was that it was a champion of the turn based style and showed how you can balance an intricate game with-out resorting to "real-time" to add difficulty. So I championed DQ as a dying breed of my favorite kind of RPG.

I don't want every RPG to be "action-RPG". I can play Zelda etc. for that. I don't even like FF for example where if I fall asleep holding the controller, I wake up and my party's dead! At least Chronotrigger gave you a choice. But if EVERY RPG dynasty moves to being either action or tactics, then where does that leave the RPG lover who's hooked on turn-based?

where does that leave the RPG lover who's hooked on turn-based?

RPG maker... or just keep playing the old games.

Turn based is important to me because I love that battle style and it is disappearing in games. Part of why I really hooked in big-time to DQ was that it was a champion of the turn based style and showed how you can balance an intricate game with-out resorting to "real-time" to add difficulty. So I championed DQ as a dying breed of my favorite kind of RPG.

I don't want every RPG to be "action-RPG". I can play Zelda etc. for that. I don't even like FF for example where if I fall asleep holding the controller, I wake up and my party's dead! At least Chronotrigger gave you a choice. But if EVERY RPG dynasty moves to being either action or tactics, then where does that leave the RPG lover who's hooked on turn-based?

Dragon Quest XI

• Upvote 3

It looks like the official forum probably has an announcement saying that the level cap will probably move up to about 30 and no new land will be added for 2.0.

The timeline for when 2.0 starts could slip since there is a tight schedule to make the patch for it. More people should be getting the game this Monday (announcements arrive in email that day. From the past it seems that the emails arrive at 5:00 pm).

Edited by Mimas

Yay, multi-post!

So I'll take this post to say that a lot of good info about the Beta comes from Saito Yosuke's Twitter account. So it is worth checking out for the people who know some Japanese or want to run Google Translate or something on it. It has a lot of non-DQ stuff as well, but he makes a lot of DQ X announcements that don't come out on the official site there.

Edited by Mimas

2.0 selection mail went out today. 2ch is talking about an increase to 2 servers. Claws and whips might be made weaker for this phase. It should start on Thursday (It could have been delayed if they couldn't get the patch made in time, but luckily it worked out). Phase 2.0, 2ch says, will continue to April 30.

2.0 is starting now. No information about what is new yet though. First they said it would be at 12:00pm (Beta start 2pm). Now they are saying the info will be out at 2:30. I'm giving up for tonight, and will check tomorrow.

So besides a large number of "fixes" for problems people had, the real change for 2.0 is upping the level cap to 30 (but there is a cap on skill points, which wasn't raised), adding two class quests, and adding an additional server.

Still building things up, it seems. I'll have to look back through this topic to see what those class quests do (ie, unlocking vocations or only doable by certain vocations).

Also, Mimas, in the news thread you mentioned how the beta testers spoke of getting wiped out by the queen slime? Has there been any talk about that monster with the door shields? I think it's called ãŸã¦ã¾ã˜ã‚“? (nnnnoooot gonna go with what google got out of that since it looks funny XP) Because I get the impression that thing's a mimic because of its shields (there have been identical monsters, but their shields formed to make a face). Just curious if that's the case.

(I just tried searching in the forum you linked to near the start of this topic, and got nothin'. Probably doesn't help that the Japanese I entered reappeared in the search box as たてまじん when the results came up, d'oh)

Still building things up, it seems. I'll have to look back through this topic to see what those class quests do (ie, unlocking vocations or only doable by certain vocations).

Also, Mimas, in the news thread you mentioned how the beta testers spoke of getting wiped out by the queen slime? Has there been any talk about that monster with the door shields? I think it's called たてまじん? (nnnnoooot gonna go with what google got out of that since it looks funny XP) Because I get the impression that thing's a mimic because of its shields (there have been identical monsters, but their shields formed to make a face). Just curious if that's the case.

(I just tried searching in the forum you linked to near the start of this topic, and got nothin'. Probably doesn't help that the Japanese I entered reappeared in the search box as たてまじん when the results came up, d'oh)

Some Japanese news sites mentioned the quests, but I don't know if any English ones translated it. I think we did have a link to one of those Japanese site reports about it once though. Under one of those "XX screen" posts

I don't recall anything about the Tatemajin. It is hard to know sometimes on 2ch what monster they are talking about because they use nicknames as well. I thought it was in previous games, but I'm not good at keeping track of them, and I don't really have time to double check

On 2ch if there isn't any activity on a thread for a while then the thread becomes empty (at least that is my understanding). When a thread reaches 1000 posts people aren't allowed to post in it anymore. The Dragon Quest X progresses at about 1000 posts a day, so I have to keep up with the thread to get to the link for the next one or eventually it will time out and go blank and I will miss what was written (or I can search for it in a 2ch archive, but that is rather tedious). So unfortunately, the link I gave has long since died. Current link is this.

Thank you so much for all the info Mimas! Been excited for this game since its announcement.. I'm a fan since DW1 but welcome this style of gameplay. The idea of playing online with other Dragon Quest fans is amazing. I bought 3 friends copies of IX but only 1 of them ended up playing it a lot. So glad to hear all about the impressions of the Beta Testers! Also I really hope its possible to import since a game as massive as this with server costs seems really unlikely to be released in the US.

Yow, about 1000 posts per day for the DQX topic? That's a ton to go through, yo. Sorry if what I asked threw you off of something more pressing. I realized later that asking about player feedback on a monster is something I'd be more interested in, and not so much other folks. Should probably think my questions through better, gah.