Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Apparently the beta test began today

Phase 1.3 started today. It will continue to next Wednesday, and will run every day from 2:00pm to 10:00pm (Yay! That corresponds Pacific time to pretty much exactly when I like to sleep!)

What they are supposed to focus on:

Travel Concierge

Train

Travelers Bazaar

Postal Service

Job Changing

Exchanging Mini Medals

Area's involved

Middle Level Orgreede

181_2.jpg

Middle Level Pukland

181_3.jpg

Now everyone can level up to Level 20.

They can go through part of the scenario for Glen Castle and Allfair.

It says that in the real game normally your choice in race affects the first scenario you experience, but that isn't the case in the beta version.

Quests:

(Each town, Over level 10 requirement) Quest to unlock the item bank.

(Each town, Over level 20 requirement) Quest to unlock the ability to change jobs.

Weapon Smith Quest

Travelers Bazaar

181_6.jpg

Adventurer's Bar

181_7.jpg

Train

181_10.jpg

Functions:

Housing System

181_11.jpg[Picture says 1st District Toon Town in the upper left).

Weapon Smith System

181_12.jpg

There is also a list of changes that have been implemented, such as changing the order of people displayed when you are casting hoimi (heal) so that your first choice is you, than comrades, than others. I might translate the others when I have the time.

At least that way you can get a dandy summary instead of hitting reload every 5 seconds.

Level 20 for the quest to change vocations, eh? Wonder if it'll stay that way in the end. I suppose getting to that level would give you a good taste of the initial vocation, though. Awesome stuff, Mimas.

The official Dragon Quest X twitter account opened today. Might be worth a follow for some info. https://twitter.com/#!/DQ_X

Can't understand most of it, but will follow regardless. Nice BG they have there, too.

Smile_twitterBG2.jpg

Level 20 for the quest to change vocations, eh? Wonder if it'll stay that way in the end. I suppose getting to that level would give you a good taste of the initial vocation, though. Awesome stuff, Mimas.

The official Dragon Quest X twitter account opened today. Might be worth a follow for some info. https://twitter.com/#!/DQ_X

Can't understand most of it, but will follow regardless. Nice BG they have there, too.

Smile_twitterBG2.jpg

Reminds me of one of the DQIX wallpapers

That will probably be the coverart. Very reminscent of DQIX's

Nah, too horizontal. It's probably one of the promo pics like IX had, as mentioned above.

Another Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru pic, by the way. I wonder if Toriyama does anything more than the cover art these days.

How can you tell the difference between Toriyama and Nakatsuru?

How can you tell the difference between Toriyama and Nakatsuru?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Though based on this picture I might Nakatsuru better than modern Toriyama.

Forgot to mention before that they say that 1.3 is 60% of the land that they plan on having available to Beta testers (which is supposed to be 10% of the total land). Previously it was 10%.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with the 2ch thread now. The speed has really picked up. But here are some threads I found interesting.

People were talking about warriors, saying that strength wise they aren't really better than a martial artist since they are too slow, and martial artists have weapons that allow them to attack twice in a row. Of course they can't cast magic either, and the skills that they can learn like Dragon Slash aren't very useful since there really isn't any dragons. So basically they felt that warriors were only good for taking hits for the rest of the party and pushing monsters around. Someone joked that you could have a party of all warriors where EX: Warrior A: Guards B, Warrior B: Guards C, Warrior C: Guards D, Warrior D: Guards A. The thread went on discussing Warrior characters in DQ and the conclusion was that they historically haven't been very useful. Someone said something about calling warrior characters "Crocodine" characters since in Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken Corcodine ends up just being used as a living shield most of the time since he gets out classed power wise as the story goes on. So someone said that for tonight's test he would play as warrior with the name of "Crocodine" and scream "Guwaaaa" whenever he was injured. Many people wanted to play with him, but some of them were warriors themselves, so it could end up being a warrior only party. In which case it became EX: Warrior A: Guards B, Warrior B: Guards C, Warrior C: Guards A, Crocodine: "Guwaaa".

In the opened up story there seems to be one boss (possibly a skeleton type) and the Job Changing quest boss is a golem (probably the same one from the introduction video).

Someone talked about going to fight the boss, and in front of the room with the boss was some dead bodies of previous players who lost against the boss. Their party proceeded to resurrect them (using Zao I would assume). When they were done with that the formally dead player characters talked to them.

First PC: Be careful! It's dangerous beyond that door!

Second PC: The boss XXXX, is there, and he XXXXXX!

Third PC: We weren't able to defeat him ourselves, but I'm sure your party will take him down!

Fourth PC: Please! Avenge our deaths!

The party than went against the boss and won.

Proportions, but most of all line quality. Nakatsuru's lines are thinner and cleaner, more Photoshoppy. It's more noticeable in his Torneko and DQM pieces. Toriyama seems to still use a g-pen. (See the V-Jump Anniversary cover.) His lines are more natural and thicker and the proportions are a little rounder.

ETA: While I'm here, see this pic? Yeah, it's a big watermark, because I haven't seen it anywhere else. It was part of the Slime Knights press kit. It's a Photoshop assembled group shot of what seems to be the initial character designs.

Edited by Dwaine

Kinda unfortunate how true the whole warrior thing is. Heck, the designers themselves were kinda supporting the meat-shield thing in IX by making one of their learned skills Whipping Boy. Attack Attacker could be handy, though.

And was that second revived PC using obscenities or something? :P

Pity to hear about the warrior situation, seeing as the game can be patched I imagine these issues are subject to change. So it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Are we looking at a summer/autumn release for DQX in Japan, or do you guys think it'll be a December thing, a la recent Final Fantasies.

Also, I don't like the way that all the promotional artwork for DQ games is framed with such large borders, that above picture would make a nice desktop image if it wasn't for the crazy amount of white space.

It is something that's kind of annoying with Warriors(They need to get some other things to make them a little more unique), kind of like Armamentalists not getting any attack spells(all the while they gain Magical Might).

Nah, too horizontal. It's probably one of the promo pics like IX had, as mentioned above.

Another Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru pic, by the way. I wonder if Toriyama does anything more than the cover art these days.

That doesn't look like Nakatsuru's style though. In his recent dragonball pictures his style is very recognizable.

dbox2wall1200x800.jpg

majin_buu_aku_5.jpg

ougon_no_senshi7.JPG

It's possible he's varying his style depending on the subject. Toriyama himself said he purposely used sharp lines and angles for Dragon Ball. My DQ VI images are all labeled "Nakatsu version."

In other news, I bought some g-pen nibs yesterday. We'll see how that turns out. Yea for Jerry's Artarama for having low prices and not treating you like a criminal!

Proportions, but most of all line quality. Nakatsuru's lines are thinner and cleaner, more Photoshoppy.

The lines were likely converted to vector art in Illustrator. Magazine and DVD covers don't need to be that big, but that DQ art gets blown up to put on billboards, trains, etc.

Also, G nibs are great. Very fluid lines, nice control.

Hadn't thought about that! With Photoshop's vector tools, I wasn't sure how many people still did that. These days I only fire up Illustrator for a logo design and lettering. For some time it seemed that Toriyama was using a method old fogies like myself would do - scan the line art as bitmap and make it its own layer.

Playing with the g-pen will be the first time I've used a traditional pen in...20 years. Microns were my weapon of choice. Recently tried out the Copic pens and they are sublime. Perfect flow and durable tip. Just like me, baby. Awwww yeah!

It's possible he's varying his style depending on the subject. Toriyama himself said he purposely used sharp lines and angles for Dragon Ball. My DQ VI images are all labeled "Nakatsu version."

Which DQ VI images are you talking about? The more recent ones for the ds rerelease? I looked at my stash for DQVI and basically anything that doesn't look handpainted is by either Nakatsuru or Yamamuro I think. So yeah only the original concepts and the cover image on the dragon seem to be by Toriyama. Now that is for DQ VI though. Doesn't necessarily mean it holds true for X aswell. But I know what you mean though. I guess Nakatsuru can still mimic Toriyama's style very well.

Yes, the ones for the recent DS release. I have the whole set (except for ONE, rrrgh!) and it's part of the file name. The line quality still has a natural "wobble" to them.

Think the footage was under NDA, if you leak it you die. Still surprising that no one has at least tried!

Well, I bought a beta kit today...should be in the mail very soon. I never signed any NDA and I live in the US, so maybe I'll have to start uploading some vids and $#!& if I can get this thing running on my modded Wii.

Watch out. They might not let foreign IP addresses connect.

Well, I bought a beta kit today...should be in the mail very soon. I never signed any NDA and I live in the US, so maybe I'll have to start uploading some vids and $#!& if I can get this thing running on my modded Wii.

Where did you order the kit from?

And was that second revived PC using obscenities or something? :P

The people on 2ch are trying not to "spoil" the game by not mentioning things about the beta.

Congratulations! I've been tempted to purchase one myself as well. You will need to set your Wii to use the Japanese Wii Store. Before you can play it will take you an hour to update your Wii and install the game on the 16gb usb flash drive.

Its not just the nondisclosure that is making people silent. There is also the fear of being banned from the game. So to be on the safe side you might want to cover up your characters name to make it a little harder to track down.

Watch out. They might not let foreign IP addresses connect.

Someone did claim to play the game fine on a dial up modem, but they might have been lying. But it suggests that even a slow VPN might be all that is needed to bypass any IP blocking.