What RPG's are you currently playing?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

Posted Images

And now doubly jealous. Grandia 1 is on sale for $3 on the PSN. But it's not for PS4, just PS3. So sad.

That's good to know if it can be downloaded to the PSP for that price.

I decided to revisit... FFIX and Chrono Cross. Two games I haven't played to completion since their release in 2000.

I am enjoying them both, and appreciating them more than I did back then. Chrono Cross rubbed me the wrong way with regards to how it handled Chrono Trigger stuff, but as an independent game I really like it. And honestly, I loved the huge cast, the variety is nice even if they weren't developed too much.

As far as FFIX, it really has a lot of nuance that makes it charming. Steiner's clanging, the character gestures, etc. It's great. Zidane is a cool guy too.

Edited by Fates

See, people need to look at Chrono Cross as its own thing and not as a direct sequel to Trigger. When you do you'll find a great RPG with some fun gameplay ideas and good variety. Story can be wonky towards the end.

Hey Platty, get ready to be triple jealous, my friend:  I still have my original Grandia discs for PSOne, and a PS2 and a PS3 to play them on. ;)

Still, I love Grandia, yes.  I'm loving Millenia and all her sass and naughty flair.

Oh and the battle themes in Grandia games always wail so hard!  Noriyuki Iwadare rocks, have thought so ever since Lunar.

I find that even the PC version is slower in town than in battle.  Battles run a butter-smooth 60FPS, but towns, and some character powers that put an animated image overlay on the battle run slower.

So PS2 has lag issues in that game, hmm?  Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of PS2 ports being slower.

Also, I still have the Grandia 2 Dreamcast discs and a system to run them on around here someplace, but can't lay hands on them readily.  PC version is awesome though.

I'm finally at the end of this blasted dungeon in Apocalypse. If anyone plans to play Apocalypse, I strongly encourage reading a guide for getting through this place. Exploring this place as much as possible added another 6 or 7 hours (maybe more, wish I had kept better track!) to my play time alone, so if you listen to anything I say, let using a guide to get through this dungeon be that one thing.

With all that said, the final bosses...pretty cool. Love the new designs for these characters, but unfortunately I lost to the second part of the final boss. I'll need to change up my battle strategy some to stand a better chance, but I think I can do it.

After that, I'm going to attempt the "Messiahs in the Diamond Realm," DLC quest. I wanted this DLC quest thanks to the boss at the end and the united force of the leads from the main series SMT games, aka The Hero (of SMT1), Aleph, the Demi-fiend, and Flynn.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

And now doubly jealous. Grandia 1 is on sale for $3 on the PSN. But it's not for PS4, just PS3. So sad.

I was thinking of picking up The Legend of Dragoon. I haven't played it since my high school days, and though it is kinda terrible in terms of voice acting and graphics, I still really like it.

I have complaints on one more tiny aspect of Legend Of Dragoon, but otherwise, yes, a great game.  I only wish you could select your attack strings in battle instead of using the same one set from the party menu over and over again.  Picking the additionals before you attack for example.  Would have made combat make more sense and made leveling up the additionals that much easier.   Less repetittive as well.  "Volcano! Volcano! Volcano!"

I decided to make my way through Twisted Tokyo before tackling the final boss again. This dungeon is an optional one, but the reward? Access to each of the Fiends. Defeating them gives you full access to them, which is a major improvement over SMT4. In that game you had to hope the Fiends would spawn in a certain area, with a 1/256 chance of it happening. Apparently it was done as a nod to SMT1, but was not well received at all.

Sorry, got off track for a bit. As of this post, I've managed to defeat David, Matador, and the White Rider. I have the first two in my party at the moment, and it's nice the lowest leveled Fiend (David) is level 85 upon gaining him.

• Upvote 1

I have complaints on one more tiny aspect of Legend Of Dragoon, but otherwise, yes, a great game. I only wish you could select your attack strings in battle instead of using the same one set from the party menu over and over again. Picking the additionals before you attack for example. Would have made combat make more sense and made leveling up the additionals that much easier. Less repetittive as well. "Volcano! Volcano! Volcano!"

Agreed, although I never got tired of hearing Lavitz yell "Harpoon!" a bunch of times.

I've been playing Grandia 1 in my PSP. I was playing Persona 2 Innocent Sin (still felt in a SMT kind of mood after playing SMT4 Apocalypse) but have switched to playing Grandia instead.

Right now I'm on the Steamer ship heading to the New Continent, and so far I'm enjoying it. Definitely a more light hearted RPG, and I'm enjoying the character interactions. The voice acting...actually isn't too bad, except for the guy who voices Colonel Mullen. His voice is just bad.

I don't blame you. Colonel Mullen's voice acting makes me feel ill too.

I've been playing Grandia 1 in my PSP. I was playing Persona 2 Innocent Sin (still felt in a SMT kind of mood after playing SMT4 Apocalypse) but have switched to playing Grandia instead.

Right now I'm on the Steamer ship heading to the New Continent, and so far I'm enjoying it. Definitely a more light hearted RPG, and I'm enjoying the character interactions. The voice acting...actually isn't too bad, except for the guy who voices Colonel Mullen. His voice is just bad.

But how's the combat?

It's pretty well established here that Platty absolutely detests Grandia.

I've never played it. What's the combat like?

Characters (and enemies) move around on an "action meter" and when they reach a certain point of it, do their actions. It's a variation of an ATB system with one meter.

Platty, you know as well as I do that the combat in Grandia is fantastic. It is my favorite combat system ever and nothing else compares.

Oh, ditto. I just want to see what my Twinsie thinks!
I've enjoyed parts of it. Stopping or slowing enemy turns by hitting them at the right time/with the right attack is a cool idea. Not sure how I feel on gaining levels for weapons and spells though.

I guess I'm 50/50 on it. I need to play some more and see if my mind changes.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Characters (and enemies) move around on an "action meter" and when they reach a certain point of it, do their actions. It's a variation of an ATB system with one meter.

And moving around makes area of effect spells and skills not necessarily hit all enemies at one. It's a fun system!

Platty, you know as well as I do that the combat in Grandia is fantastic. It is my favorite combat system ever and nothing else compares.

Oh, ditto. I just want to see what my Twinsie thinks!
I've enjoyed parts of it. Stopping or slowing enemy turns by hitting them at the right time/with the right attack is a cool idea. Not sure how I feel on gaining levels for weapons and spells though.

I guess I'm 50/50 on it. I need to play some more and see if my mind changes.

That gets a bit better in future games.

I'll tell you what I don't like about combat: how Sue gets dizzy every time she's hit by something. That $#!& is annoying, and is the reason why I left her as a bow user in order to keep as much distance as possible from enemies. I'm just glad I have Feena back in the party right now, as she is a major help.