What RPG's are you currently playing?

Did the first truly optional side quest in Rogue Galaxy, 38 hours in. Did the beach world of Alistia so I could score the Pirates outfit for Jaster. Started the hunter's log for the area too. Doesn't seem like it'll be too hard to do. There's about 5-6 more enemies in the list than a general area so it might take longer as long as one of the monsters isn't a "1 appears for every 10 battles" BS again like the Angry Spirits from the Leo King tomb. My party is now sitting in the mid 50s, and I've upgraded the first of the Seven Star Swords, the Desert Seeker to its final form, Earth Shaker. I currently hit for around 5 times more than any other party member since it's a weapon actually close to my level range. Everyone else, despite being level 50 or so only has access to high 20, low 30 level weapons due to progressing in the actual story of the game.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Posted Images

It's amazing how quickly I can lose steam for playing a game. Since I bought Rogue Galaxy last week, I've pretty much played it every single day for at least an hour or two (or more), but the day before yesterday I opted out to just watch some Dragon Ball on DVD that night. The next day I had very little desire to play the game knowing what I had to do, but I did it anyways and once I did, the vigor returned and now I'm eager to get back home to continue playing even though all I'm doing tonight is work on my hunting log in a new area.

Super Pokemon. Easily. I've read reviews that say it's the definitive Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon will forever hold a special place in my colon.

Still going through Conquest.

But I'm also in the mood for a Mystery Dungeon game.

Between Super Pokemon and Etrian which would you folks recommend?

If you just want a Mystery Dungeon game, probably Pokemon I guess. The Etrian one is fine, but for that game you're better off either solo running a Protector or having a Protector spam Provoke while the rest of your party (all of whom should be distance fighters like Gunners and Runemasters) take them out.

If you mean a game in general, you could always go back and beat EO4 first (unless you already have beaten it).

Anyway, on to progress:

Currently I'm at the start of the 3rd stratum with the Calmacht crew, and boy, I didn't realize how powerful a Chaser party was going to be. I've had little trouble against bosses and FOEs compared to my previous run, and honestly while I'm loving the damage my team can pull off in a single turn, I'm finding the lack of challenge I experienced disappointing. My EO1 team run was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with the series, but every time I conquered a fight it was so damn satisfying.

Bah...maybe I should just go all out next time and use nothing but Combat Medics.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Still going through Conquest.

But I'm also in the mood for a Mystery Dungeon game.

Between Super Pokemon and Etrian which would you folks recommend?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time and Darkness is amazing.

Played Rogue Galaxy for another couple of hours last night. The only thing I really did was try to finish the hunting log for the area. I wasn't able to do that. I had two enemies left that spawn so infrequently that I started getting frustrated because there's no one spot they spawn with and frequency. I went around and picked up a couple of the Rare items in the game, one of which is a starter quest to get another of the Seven Star Swords. Tonight I should be able to get two of them (There are seven in total) and I'll work on synthesizing them to their final forms as I work my way through the Cancer King Ruins below Myna. 

• Upvote 1

I beat th E4 in Pokémon a while ago, so now it's time to have fun and build my team. Maybe get into the online stuff...

Making progress in DWIII. Still amazed at how ahead of its time the game is....I'm taking my time and grinding a lot so I don't find myself trapped in some dungeon and underleveled.

Law night I got back into my current run of DQVIII. About 14 hours in. Slow progress due the other games I'm playing...

Already at the 4th stratum with the Calmacht crew. I know I'm beating a dead horse by saying this, but Chaser parties REALLY break Untold 2. Had I known the playthrough was going to be this easy I would've held off on going for this set up and tried something else.

Though having said that, it was nice to finish off Scylla (third Stratum boss) on the third attempt. Easily the hardest boss of the main game, especially at that point. I think she would be referred to as a "Wake Up Call Boss" or something.

Well that's a clever way to change a scene.

So I managed to reach a point on the 17th floor where there's a patch of mushrooms your party can try eating to recover health, but in actuality they are poisonous. However, this time when I reached the patch, I had my Beast (Fergus) examine them. To my surprise, he ended up swatting the mushrooms away and saved the party from losing health!

Didn't expect that little extra touch, so that was a nice surprise.

• Upvote 1

Somehow, someway, I managed to clear that pesky Chapter 20 that was giving me so much trouble, and without a single fatality to boot. Don't ask me how because it seemed like I was constantly a turn away from losing a unit. One unit in particular, Xander, was isolated for the majority of the battle with a third of his health, and yet I managed to keep him alive throughout the whole ordeal thanks to the benefits he earned by being paired with someone. Even when he was on his last hp and facing two or three opponents within attack range he managed to keep himself alive long enough for the rest of my units to catch up and heal him.

Everything seemed to work out for me and I had just the right amount of luck to blow through the map and survive. If I was any less lucky and I would have lost my most valuable unit. It was an exhilarating battle, to say the least.

Confession time: I've never played Chrono Trigger. Is the DS remake significantly better, or would I not be missing much with SNES version?

Confession time: you're not missing much.

Confession time: I've never played Chrono Trigger. Is the DS remake significantly better, or would I not be missing much with SNES version?

Any version (except the badly ported PS1 version) is fine. The bonus content on the DS version is a chore to get through anyway, so you're just going to have tonask yourself if you want to experience the original version or the handheld version.

SNES version it is then.

I'm keeping my expectations in check, otherwise it will never live up to the praise it gets. That happened with another Square RPG, Live A Live. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it isn't the perfect game that people make it out to be.

I will say that MEGALOMANIA is an amazing boss theme, though.

I guess my luck's turned around. Chapter 21 was not only fun, it was also thrilling.

A never ending onslaught of enemies as my units try to flee the battlefield and having to utilize dragon vein's to freeze the enemy in place.

Then Chapter 22 ended up being super easy. I don't know how. There was a trick you were supposed to take advantage of to make it easier but ignoring it actually helped me more.

Before I continue, I just married off my unit to Charlotte, so I'm gonna try his kid's paralogue seeing as

she's also a dragon like him.

And quite honestly, this has devolved into him and his siblings tearing apart the battlefield so it'd be nice to get more units.

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 1

SNES version it is then.

I'm keeping my expectations in check, otherwise it will never live up to the praise it gets. That happened with another Square RPG, Live A Live. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it isn't the perfect game that people make it out to be.

I will say that MEGALOMANIA is an amazing boss theme, though.

You have to enjoy CT on your own. It's a good game, but everyone will try to sell it to you like it's snake oil. The best thing ever. Nothing has ever come close to this perfection. Don't listen to anyone else.

...Including me.

I'm getting a pretty strong impression that I'm not gonna be getting the full story in Conquest. I know Revelations is supposed to provide the full picture, but I feel like something is supposed to be up with Azura and very little plot around her has occurred. There's SOMETHING about her we haven't seen yet that she hasn't disclosed and at this rate it's going to go unaddressed. It's a good thing I have Birthright, if it has any new information to provide at all, but even still, that makes it even worse that they split the game into two different versions instead of putting it all in one cartridge.

Something was very briefly shown at one point but it was just brushed aside for later, and here I am approaching the finish line and it looks like "later" was meant to mean "in the DLC campaign or in the other version." Either way, if that's true, that's a major disappointment.

That's too bad, eal. This is why I'm surprised the split the game across 2 versions. I mean, if they put at least Conquest and Birthright on one cart together, you'd get quite a lot for your money's worth and could look forward to Revelations.

Or, from the start they could have had all 3 on one, had you complete Birthright and Conquest in any order, then you unlock Revelations.

This is why the Special Edition disappearing was so awful. You spend $80 at the very least getting all three versions, might as well save space on your 3DS by getting them all on one cart and get some cool stuff with it for that same price. I even wouldn't have been opposed to pay $50-60 for two games together in one cart if getting their money's worth was what they were concerned about when the split it up.

At the end of the day, they really are two totally different games in which you could spend hundreds of hours playing and replaying and unlocking all of the supports. It would still be a fair value. I don't like buying games digitally (even though I sometimes find myself in a position where I have to) and the 3DS has such limited space for digital games to begin with.

But regardless, I don't see why they felt the need to cut Azura's stuff out of a version. I could be totally wrong on this since there's still a few chapters left

(I'm on Chapter 26 so not much)

but so many of them was just Corrin and his army spinning their wheels, making the middle parts seem so much more dragged out then the beginning and ending, and what's worse, the justification for why it needed to be like that was so weak.

I still don't know why Corrin felt he couldn't tell his siblings their father was possessed, that they needed to see him unmasked for who he was.

The answers to all the game's questions, including the "true boss," shouldn't be shoved in DLC, even if it is an entire campaign's worth.

Made it to the 5th stratum. The boss of the 20th floor got my Beast on both attempts since the poor guy is the meat shield of the party, but I think I know how I can keep his health up all the time if I reconfigure some skill points around.

The game is finally giving me a challenge again. I was explaining to a friend of mine who's playing Conquest right now about my current Untold 2 playthrough, and he assumed I was using a min max strategy for team building. Honestly I have no idea what the hell min maxing is, I just went with what I thought would work and it has been (a little too well).

Anyway, I should be done with this run soon provided I can get in at least a floor a day between homework this week, and will have Untold 2 beaten to 100% excluding the last DLC quest. Luckily the DLC quests, monsters, and item drops don't count towards the 100% rates.

After that, no idea what I'll pick up next. I have a lot of other RPGs in limbo right now, but if I still have the kick to play EO I'll go back to the original game and continue my "100% super extravaganza arranged version DX edition quest" to complete all the EO games to 100% in time for the 10th anniversary next year.

So I half-heartedly decided to have a go at Chapter 27, knowing I probably would fail, and as such, I let a bunch of good units fall as I marched to finish it. I actually managed to complete the map, so I decided to see what the endgame chapter would be like. Yet, even with three good units and my two remaining healers, I somehow managed to defeat the boss without any fatalities. Nothing to do post game besides DLC chapters. Awesome. Guess I'll just do a new game as a female next time I play, not that that'll be anytime soon.

As for the ending...

I wasn't disappointed in the ending per se, just the fact that it left so many plot holes to be resolved in either Birthright or Revelations. I imagine each game gives you an answer that the other did not and Revelations ties it all together. Like maybe Conquest explains why King Garon is evil while Birthright explains what's up with Azura. Regardless, that's disgusting. If a game has branching paths that encourages you to get the whole story by playing the other, then they shouldn't make them separate games, let alone trap the "true ending" as DLC that needs to be downloaded. Charge $50-60 for the whole package if you want to make your money back on developing what were essentially three different games, but don't make me have to pay $80 at the least or $100 at the most (which will be my case since I bought both games physically) to get the full story. Like, who was the hooded man? Why is Azura so mysterious? How could Corrin's mother see the future?

Edited by eal

I'm back to playing dragon warrior 7 while i wait for FF9 for pc to come out.  And speaking of ff9 of all the rpgs i played FF9 touched me emotionally when I find out that Mog was a edidon.

Edited by sounderfan84
  • Upvote 2

At last, I've 100% Etrian Odyssey Untold 2! Both modes completed, all the badges earned for the guild card, and all the challenges of the High Lagaard labyrinth conquered.

That makes 2 EO games I've 100%'d now. Time to move on to the next, though I'm not sure whether to go back to the original EO1 or just work my way backwards and go to Untold 1.

I'll post a picture of my completed guild card (and my other files for the heck of it) in a while.

• Upvote 2

You are dedicated, that's for sure. Rarely will I 100% a game. I'm wanting to do that with Rogue Galaxy here, but the hunting log is wearing me down, and I'm only half way done with it.

• Upvote 1