What RPG's are you currently playing?

cprmauldin

Roundup time!

River King: Mystic Valley - haven't played in weeks.

Joker 3 Professional - may be close to the end of the Professional parts. I've loved the heck out of this game (as if you couldn't tell from its own thread). About 57 hours in. My Platnium King Jewel & Emperor Slime can now beat even the roughest boss keys I've got.

Inazuma Eleven - Beat it this morning. Got to the final match and lost, which sucked becuase you can't save to a different slot (despite there being 3) and I did a lot of story stuff to get to that point, but didn't want to save right before the game as I didn't know if I'd need to grind. I lost 1-0 the first time and the game told me 3 ways to get my team better. Screw that! I've got good! Played again and was up 2-0 within 10 game minutes and held on to win 2-1. Pretty anticlimactic ending, I just won. Roll credits. Seriously there's a ton of grinding things to do in the game and a thing like a FFX license board, but with 1000 recruitable teammates. I maybe recruited 2 or 3 and didn't barely grind and won. The soccer is tough, but once figured out, I could do just fine.

Ara Fell - won an archery tournament in a fashion that'll probably not be good for me in the long run. 3-4 hours in, just been too obsessed with Joker 3 and this family vacation has become so little free time.

Trails of Azure (Crossbell #2) - I'm itching to get back to my Vita and go from intermission to ending. Been missing Trails lately.

Mario Golf: Super Rush - Nearing the end. Lost to a boss and since time was tight, I didn't refight immediately. D'oh. Now I have to do 9 holes to get to him again. I'm on the 2nd to last course judging by the free play modes and someone told me it's a 5ish hour RPG mode, so shouldn't talk too long. Need to talk about this on Slime Time Sidequest next week.

• Like 1

Bravely Default - 

A few hours into Chapter 5. This difficulty spike is pretty significant. I’m doing very well in physical battles as my Templar/Knight’s defense alongside my Monk/Dark Knight/Red Mage’s attack is pretty killer considering the BP recovery skill. Magic battles are a different story since some all-enemy attacks seem to avoid the Full Cover skill. Doing some level and job grinding should solve this.

SMT III Nocturne HD Remaster - 

Four hours in. So far, so barren. But I kinda like it. Totally different from the games I’m used to. 

• Like 1

Mario Golf: Super Rush. Beat it. Didn't take long I guess, the whole Adventure Mode RPG was all of 4-6 hours, tops. Took a few tries to beat the final boss, but got him with only 4% of my life left. Not a hard thing, just wish there was more to it. At least it's an infinite fun game with the kids too!

• Like 1

Just fused some demons and made one that looks pretty badass. I think I’m going to get hooked on this part of SMT.

• Like 1

I have the sneaking suspicion that Kingdom Hearts is actually not a very good game whose fanbase came to fall in love with it because they have strong feelings of nostalgia from when they played it as a kid and they couldn’t fully wrap their heads around the concept of a game not being good, and every new game in the series is them desperately trying to recapture that old magic they remember from when they were kids but they just can’t, proving you really can’t go home again.

Seriously, when I started playing Kingdom Hearts, I watched an LP where someone makes the claim that Wonderland was the worst world, a friend told me that Monstro is the worst, someone on the Den Discord said that Deep Jungle is the biggest hump, and I’ve heard horror stories about Atlantica. What else other than deep-rooted nostalgia and/or a love of Disney can explain why people love this particular game?

Strange Journey Redux: Tried beating the final(?) floor of the Womb of Grief, but the game put a hard stop to that. Apparently you can’t cross the invisible floor, which doesn’t make sense seeing as how back on the 4th floor I was able to walk along the invisible paths. I know the last sector has a portion of invisible floors that you need a Demonica upgrade for that, but why did Redux allow me to traverse a dungeon floor in the new dungeon with invisible routes? I’m confused about that design decision.

Didn’t do much else besides a little more exploration in Horologium and made a few new demons. Got Barong and Rangda, and it’s only a matter of time before I can fuse them and create Shiva for my party.

Ys 8: Boy, the PS4 version has been very annoying. I’m at the point I got the 4th party member, I get the materials needed to help properly fight Primordials (basically this series take on dinosaurs) and I’m then introduced to a new bit of content in the PS4 version: Beast Hunts. You go to certain areas and fight the monsters directly, rather than the Beast Raids where they attack the Castaway Village and try to destroy it. Basically taking the fight to them.

Well, as soon as you finish the introduction level to this new bit of content and get your upgraded weapons, the game immediately stops you AGAIN and makes you do a forced Beast Raid.

Goddamnit, this is the kind of thing I hate in games. I just want to get back to the exploration of the island and play the game, not do a forced new quest and then immediately have to do another one. The beast raids are the worst part about Ys 8 because you can’t ignore them. And now there’s a new form of it with beast hunts. I feel like both are meant to pad out the game time, and at this point I’m just going to play them on the easiest difficulty setting just so I can be done with them all the faster.

You really screwed the pooch by adding this into Ys, Falcom.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

Played a little more SMT III Nocturne HD Remaster today. Still having a blast. Of all the tips I got before starting up, the one I seemed to latch onto was the importance of the commentary of NPCs. When someone says something that seems important, I write it down. 

Six hours in and It’s come in handy once so far. Though it was totally worth it, since I probably would have been running around like a maniac if I hadn’t made the note. 

That, and I’m getting increasingly hooked on fusing demons. I keep jamming back to the main Ginza area to do it, as it’s the closest at the moment. We will see if doing that remains practical. 

• Like 1

Hit a difficulty spike with enemies in SMT III. They aren’t kicking my ass or anything, but significantly harder.

I’m going to pause here and grind for a bit since I’ve heard the difficulty spikes in this game can be brutal and I wouldn’t mind being just a bit ahead of the curve. We shall see if it helps. 

Strange Journey Redux: Reached the second half of Horologium (where the design and music completely changes) and defeated the Chaos rep. Didn’t get the item I thought I would to finish off the Womb of Grief, so looked up if I was missing something online. Turns out the necessary key item was hidden in the Womb of Grief, but requires you to traverse back and forth across the 5th and 6th floor to obtain it. It was well hidden so it’s no wonder I missed it.

Made it to the 100 hour mark and have 85% of the demon compendium completed. Now that I’m late 70s in levels the really good demons are starting to show up as options. I’m sure I’ll need all the help I can get for the final bosses since I already know how hard those will be.

• Like 1

SMT III - Made it through the first hard boss. I concur that it was hard, took me three times to beat him but I made it. I had my crew pretty beefed up by the third try and used defense buffs on almost every turn along with healing. 

My active team is currently:

- Me

- Momunofu

- XuanWu

- Kikuri-Hime

Edited by cprmauldin

Played another hour of SMT III so far today. I don’t know what it is about this game, but I find it very addicting. One of my favorite traits of this game is it’s dark, demonic feel. So very different from the traditional JRPG formula. 

So now, I’m split because I can explore the world, or explore the Labyrinth. I dug a good distance into the labyrinth before having to jam out to heal. I’ve still got somewhere to go in the main story too so I don’t know whether to head back to the labyrinth and go as far as possible, keep trudging up top to see where the world takes me. 

I guess I’ll decide shortly....I’m leaning toward at least one more push in the labyrinth. 

I also started Dragon’s Crown Pro, which is TOTALLY different than anything I’ve played recently, if ever. Loads of beat-em-up fun, but still very much an RPG. I’m becoming an Atlus fan, Hard and fast. 

Lastly, in Bravely Default, all of my characters are level 60 or higher, I’ve got about 60 hours into the game, and they’ve all got a few mastered classes under their belts. There’s tons of quest points on the map, and while I know they aren’t all necessary, I’m going to try to hit all of them. 

• Like 1