What RPG's are you currently playing?

cprmauldin

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

....CPR, the sentence before the one you quoted says there is no in game playtime clock. So I don’t know how long I have been playing.

Ha! I’m going to just interpret that ellipsis as a frustrated sigh and a facepalm 😊…must’ve been half asleep while I was reading. If I ever disappoint you enough to make your head implode, hopefully @Woodus will make me a special little award badge thing. 

Anyways, gaming has been a little slow the last week or so, but I did manage to get the Arcanist and Spiritmaster asterisks in Bravely Default. 

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
22 hours ago, Bururian said:

It was 50 hours, wasn't it?

HowLongToBeat shows the game at 20-27 hours to beat/complete. Knowing Yangus... it might very well be ~50.

I’ll take that as a compliment. 

Funny enough, I am just over 50 hours in Strange Journey Redux.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Managed to spend about 40 minutes with NNK remastered before work. Finished up the last two bounties. Another side quest or two to knock out then it’ll be back to the main quest.

Edited by cprmauldin

Strange Journey Redux: Ended up home sick yesterday so I got a good bit of time in with the game. Reached the 4th Sphere (or floor) of the newly added Womb of Grief dungeon, defeated Ouroboros for good in Sector Eridanus, story stuff happened, and started up Sector Fornax.

The new dungeon they’ve added in Redux has some big floors. The third floor was actually pretty interesting, as you had to find ways around Alex, the newly added character who is trying to hunt down the protagonist. No explanation has been given yet for that, but whatever it is Alex gets pissed when you show up. Can’t understand a lick of Japanese since the voice acting isn’t in English, but from the inflections you can tell the voice actor for Alex was really going all in.

• Like 1

Inazuma Eleven: won the National Semifinal game. It was good. It was nice. It was a change of pace. Typically the game has thrown some new challenge into each major match. I know I was really frustrated at the match that gave the team an automatic goal or the other one that set all my players stats to zero. They took me multiple times to beat.

This match against Kirkwood wasn't bad at all. They're the team that placed 2nd a year prior and the spikey Axle dude on my team was with them before an incident caused him miss the game. This year he's on my team. His former teammates came to brag and show off their new move. This started a ton of story stuff that ended in me learning a new goalie move to counter it. Instead of being forced to use this in-game, from the opening kickoff there was just text that Kirkwood did their special move, but I countered it fine. And then boom, 3 minutes off the clock, but I had the rest of the match to just play normally. I was up easily 2-0 and allowed a single late goal to win. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED how they did that, so much better than forcing stuff during the match.

Now gotta beat Mr. Dark (the bad guy) and his team, Zues, on the field to win the championship. Chapter 10, here I come.

I wonder how many chapters Inazuma Eleven will have?

Strange Journey Redux: Finished Sector Fornax. Couldn’t beat Asherah, second to last boss of the area, to save my life, but when it came to the final boss, Tiamat, I beat her first try. Thanks Strange Journey. 🤪

Tried focusing on building new demons for Sector Grus. This is when the game will start throwing out demons who can reflect normal attacks and elements moreso than before, so having demons with multiple element attacks is a good idea.

Finished the Fourth Sphere of the Womb of Grief and learned more about the new character Alex. Seems like she has had encounters with Jimenez and Zelenin in the same manner as the protagonist, with Bugaboo throwing Alex off and Zelenin seeming like a non-threat. Still no clear answer as to why she hates the protagonist so much, but it’s clear she wants to destroy him before he becomes too powerful.

What surprised me most about the Fourth Sphere was the encounter with a random NPC demon who casually mentioned The Great Will. The Great Will is essentially God in the SMT series, but it’s never really brought up. So is this a casual throw away line, or does The Great Will have something to do with the new story content of Redux? Hmm...

What surprised me most about the Fourth Sphere was the encounter with a random NPC demon who casually mentioned The Great Will. The Great Will is essentially God in the SMT series, but it’s never really brought up. So is this a casual throw away line, or does The Great Will have something to do with the new story content of Redux? Hmm...

So they go with the Great Will instead of Bob Almighty. Interesting stylistic choice.

On 6/23/2021 at 3:35 AM, cprmauldin said:

Managed to spend about 40 minutes with NNK remastered before work. Finished up the last two bounties. Another side quest or two to knock out then it’ll be back to the main quest.

That's the Switch version, right? How is it comparatively? I played the on the PS3 originally and it was nice, but I never got far in it. :P

• Like 1

Strange Journey: Mainly focused on side quests and demon fusing tonight. Playing around in Sector Fornax was a bad idea though, as I ran into the Black Rider of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Boy, he about slaughtered me since he was 12 levels above me, but I managed to defeat him and unlocked another Fiend! Woo-hoo! Fiends are some of the most powerful demons you can create, so I’ll need to try and get Black Rider once I reach the right level.

Hopefully I can find the Matador and Red Rider next. Don’t want to get too distracted finding Fiends since they have low encounter rates, but I’m going to try.

That's the Switch version, right? How is it comparatively? I played the on the PS3 originally and it was nice, but I never got far in it.
I played on Switch. It was absolutely great (you know, except for the #$*! combat system).

On 6/25/2021 at 7:23 AM, Bururian said:

That's the Switch version, right? How is it comparatively? I played the on the PS3 originally and it was nice, but I never got far in it. :P

PS4 Version!

Unfortunately, the only comparison I have is based upon watching videos of the original release, since this is my first time playing. I can tell the Graphics are cleaner. 

As for the game itself, I REALLY love it. It definitely grew on me as I figured out the nuances of battles and such. I am no completionist, but I’ve done all the bounties and a vast majority of the side-quests simply because the game is so fun. 

I’m not super familiar with your taste in games, but I’d recommend it. Though I will admit, I would have rather played on the Switch because I get way more time with my portable systems these days. 

• Like 1

Picked this up for cheap and since I was falling asleep and too lazy to go downstairs to get my 3DS and the Switch was right there...

I'll have to say, the first 20 mins were good. HP/MP replenish between each combat. MP regens during combat. There's more than just sprites walking around, I crawled, hopped over gaps, swam around in water & dove for goods, and crafted an item from what I found. And that was the first 20 minutes! Should prove to be an OK 16-bit game that lasts under 16 hours.626caeba4ba478896eff7078db7105a4.jpg

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Picked this up for cheap and since I was falling asleep and too lazy to go downstairs to get my 3DS and the Switch was right there...

I'll have to say, the first 20 mins were good. HP/MP replenish between each combat. MP regens during combat. There's more than just sprites walking around, I crawled, hopped over gaps, swam around in water & dove for goods, and crafted an item from what I found. And that was the first 20 minutes! Should prove to be an OK 16-bit game that lasts under 16 hours.626caeba4ba478896eff7078db7105a4.jpg

Ah yes, a 16 bit RPG. Those always go well for you when you play them, don’t they Platty? 😘

• Like 1

Finally got the Templar asterisk in Bravely Default. Took a minute to get there, then I wasn’t confident I could beat the boss so I jammed back to town to get all healed and stocked up prior to the fight. Went well. 

Now that I’m done with that, it looks like I’ve got another tower full of monsters to fight through as well as another sub plot that popped up on the map. 

I need a solid chunk of time for NNK remastered. Short sessions aren’t getting me through the big and possible final tower.

• Like 1

Ah yes, a 16 bit RPG. Those always go well for you when you play them, don’t they Platty?
I'm now 3 hours in. Whew,@Bururian your friend wasn't wrong, there's so so so much on each screen. Too much? Well, I'm 3 hours in and I really haven't done very much. At the very beginning I was told I'm in a archery tournament, and I just saved outside the area it's supposed to take place. There's a huge pretty open world to explore and I've done a great deal of it. Wish the battles moved faster, but all is well so far. Found enough stuff to upgrade all my characters' equipment.
  • Like 1

Strange Journey Redux: Well, we’re at the point where two of the lead characters have been altered. Kind of a shame Redux reveals these changes in the opening cinematic as they were very surprising reveals, but they still leave an impact in this version.

I can now make a lot more progress in Sector Grus, and I’ve been making some good progress on the Demon Compendium. Currently have 61% of the demons, and even got lucky and found another Fiend while working on the compendium!

• Like 2

Strange Journey Redux: Finished off Sector Grus and have reached the final area, Sector Horologium. Ran into the Pale Rider while progressing in Grus, and boy, that was a hard fight. He was 20 levels above me for one thing! Luckily I managed to beat him and unlocked him for fusion.

Before moving on to the new sector, I’m going to go back and see if I can complete more of the newly added dungeon in Redux. Need a bit of a break from all the story stuff that’s happening so it’s back to exploration!

Ys 8: Fired up my Vita and resumed this game again. Mainly did side quests and exploration to get used to the controls again, and afterwards completed the next story dungeon. I like how the game works in using the past and present to solve certain problems. Reminds me of DQ7 a bit in that regard.

• Like 2

I lost my save data for Ys 8. It became corrupted on my vita, so there goes 40 hours of playing that game over the months. #$*! the Vita and #$*! Sony and their stupid SD cards for the system. I’ve lost so much game wise for that handheld, and now I’ve lost the means to play a lot of PS1 classics.

So, guess I’m going to move on and play Ys 9 instead now. #$*! whatever happens in Ys 8, as far as I know everyone #$*!ing died on that island. I’m done with that game. Just gonna play on the easiest difficulty in 9 and not give a #$*!.

• Like 1

As a lifelong Mega Man fan, I skipped Battle Network. While I liked Mega Man and RPGs exclusively, I didn't like the two mixed.

20 years later I'm actually giving it a try. It's not too bad. I'm halfway through the game now. The encounter rate is a little too high for my liking, but that's the only real complaint I have about the game. Also, playing it on the Wii U VC is way better than trying to play via handheld.

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I lost my save data for Ys 8. It became corrupted on my vita, so there goes 40 hours of playing that game over the months. #$*! the Vita and #$*! Sony and their stupid SD cards for the system. I’ve lost so much game wise for that handheld, and now I’ve lost the means to play a lot of PS1 classics.

So, guess I’m going to move on and play Ys 9 instead now. #$*! whatever happens in Ys 8, as far as I know everyone #$*!ing died on that island. I’m done with that game. Just gonna play on the easiest difficulty in 9 and not give a #$*!.

Aww bummer!!

What system do you have IX for? I just saw some gameplay on the Switch and it doesn’t look bad at all. 

As for me, I just beat NNK Wrath of the White Witch Remastered. GREAT freaking game. It was so very well balanced in terms of things to do, customization, and difficulty. I’m excited to write a review for it, just to re-process my whole experience with it. 

That, and about half an hour with Bravely Default last night. The whole team is closing in on level 60. Rolling with a Knight/Red Mage, Monk/Red Mage, White Mage/Time Mage, and Black Mage/Red Mage. Can’t help but love the BP recovery that comes along with the Red Mage class. Plus it’s nice that everyone can heal in a pinch. 

While I’m still pretty busy life-wise, I’m gonna hold off on starting anything new on the PS4 until I take a good bite out of SMT III Nocturne HD Remaster. Such has been on hold for way too long. 

20 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

That, and about half an hour with Bravely Default last night. The whole team is closing in on level 60. Rolling with a Knight/Red Mage, Monk/Red Mage, White Mage/Time Mage, and Black Mage/Red Mage. Can’t help but love the BP recovery that comes along with the Red Mage class. Plus it’s nice that everyone can heal in a pinch. 

I remember when I played this game, I think I actually maxed out levels for all characters and at least a couple of the jobs, but not all of them. I really enjoyed Bravely Default, but if you say that to the wrong person, they'll bring up a specific portion of the game very time 😓

• Like 1

Strange Journey Redux: Locked in to the Neutral Ending route and have collected the necessary items to advance the plot. I do like that you get to return to earlier Sectors during this part, but the new areas you can enter are very short so it doesn’t take too much time.

Now it’s time to make my way through Sector Horologium. Managed to get the Red Rider to show up, so now I have access to all four of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Now that we’re reaching the end game, some of the really good demons are starting to show up as fusion options. Gonna need to prepare for the hell that will be the final boss!

Also, lost a good chunk of progress because of a bad random encounter. It was one of those “Oh no, they’re going to kill the protagonist, aren’t they?” Dead, game over. Was pretty annoyed with that, so set the game aside for the rest of the day. Which brings us to…

Ys 8: ….So, against my better judgement, I’m playing through the game on my PS4. Pretty much skipping cutscenes and dialogue though so I can get back to where I was as fast as possible, and am now at the end of Chapter 2.

The PS4 version has content that isn’t on the Vita release. My understanding is the Vita version came first in Japan, then this PS4 release happened with improvements and new content and blah blah blah. It’s nice the game runs at a smooth frame rate the whole time, but honestly this game looks better on Vita. I know Falcom isn’t graphics focused, but something about the game’s presentation looked better on the handheld.

But since the Vita is a little piece of #$*! and has some garbage memory cards, that version gets the boot. I’m going to beat this stupid Ys game damn it, so let us praise the PS4 overlords and let them let me beat the stupid thing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bururian said:

I remember when I played this game, I think I actually maxed out levels for all characters and at least a couple of the jobs, but not all of them. I really enjoyed Bravely Default, but if you say that to the wrong person, they'll bring up a specific portion of the game very time 😓

Hmmm. I’m not sure what portion you’re talking about….yet lol.

And as for maxing classes, looks like I’m going to be able to max at least two for each party member with relative ease. Though each party member has just a single class maxed at the moment, and are about a third the way there on their second. 

Ys 8: Beat chapter 2. I don’t know who the English voice actor is for the Nameless Ripper, but he did a good job playing a psychopath. I bet he had fun reading his lines for the final boss encounter of the chapter.

Now at the start of chapter 3 I get to properly control Dana. Guess I’ll see if the new solo dungeon content for Dana is available now or later.