What RPG's are you currently playing?

12 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Still playing Nocturne, though this game is going to be a very long and slow burn for me. I was very naive to think I would have the fortitude to just grind away at this game. It breaks you at times. So I have to take breaks with this game pretty often. Been juggling this with games with more casual games on the side.

One thing I was bothered about was the fact that in recent years I couldn't enjoy a mainline Pokémon game. I did find some enjoyment with X and Y, but the enjoyment I had from gen 3 and prior was all gone. I figured that my taste in games just changed. I can say at least that the monster JRPG genre isn't lost on me. I guess I just really don't like Pokémon games anymore, and just assumed I stopped enjoying monster JRPGs because of it. So now I am going to start planning on playing other games in the genre to expand it past Pokémon. Doubt it will be another SMT game right away. Especially since SMT5 might be around the corner soon.

I have neglected a lot of Dragon Quest Spinoff games. So I might give the Monster series a try again. I played DWM2 years ago but don't remember much of it.

If you have questions about Digimon: Cybersleuth, let me know. I’m all about spreading the word on how great that game is. Fairly easy to learn and play too. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not too bad, have to keep an eye out for it, or make sure to stick to the plains as much as possible for lower consumption. @Plattym3 didn't think it hindered him much at all.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

I’m looking forward to Legend of Mana Remastered too. Never played the original, but after watching an in-depth video about the game a while ago (and because I’m glad to see Square Enix remastering ga

Posted Images

Good grief, Phantasy Star IV’s difficulty suddenly jumped up. Made it to the new planet to continue the story and man, random encounters have gotten a lot tougher. At least to compensate the game had a new party member with healing spells, and it does seem like random encounters give a good amount of EXP at the moment. Might be the time to do some level grinding.

• Like 1

NNK Remastered- Through Miasma marshes, including defeating the big bosses main sidekick. Rested up and ready to rock. Not sure if I’m actually getting close to the end or it’s just made to feel that way...

Bravely Default- Got the SwordMaster Asterisk. The boss battle seemed REALLY tough in the beginning...but then I realized the nature of his anticipatory attacks and used the unique battle-system to my advantage. Oh, and in terms of the main quest I also did the Fire Crystal thing.

SMT III Nocturne- Just got started. I’m trying to take it nice and easy and make sure I don’t miss anything. I’ve got one Demon with me but she joined me as part of the story so I technically haven’t done any recruiting yet. 

• Like 2
On 6/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, cprmauldin said:

If you have questions about Digimon: Cybersleuth, let me know. I’m all about spreading the word on how great that game is. Fairly easy to learn and play too. 

I might look into it someday. One of my close friends started playing that game a couple months ago and just keeps going on how good it is.

• Like 1

Ok. Finished Miitopia. I don't know how I'm going to rate this game. Right now I'm going to aim for a 2.5/5 and see if my anger with it holds up as I write my review. It was a hilarious 3.5 for the first 8-10 hours and then pure #$*! the rest of the way. Imagine if the 2nd half of Bravely Default was the first half of a game and then the 2nd half was just a large party game where you had 0 control over the party's actions in battle. That was Miitopia.

I put in almost 10 hours the past 3 days just so I could be over and done with it.

These screenshots sum up my feelings.

Boredom. aa4e1bc9d61bfde7ade5c1e68e0439cb.jpg4ad07db71b994767d93161c9d933e3e6.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Ok. Finished Miitopia. I don't know how I'm going to rate this game. Right now I'm going to aim for a 2.5/5 and see if my anger with it holds up as I write my review. It was a hilarious 3.5 for the first 8-10 hours and then pure #$*! the rest of the way. Imagine if the 2nd half of Bravely Default was the first half of a game and then the 2nd half was just a large party game where you had 0 control over the party's actions in battle. That was Miitopia.

I put in almost 10 hours the past 3 days just so I could be over and done with it.

These screenshots sum up my feelings.

Boredom. aa4e1bc9d61bfde7ade5c1e68e0439cb.jpg4ad07db71b994767d93161c9d933e3e6.jpg

Why does it look like the final boss is God going for an Elvis impersonation? It’s the hair that’s doing it.

• Like 2

Phantasy Star IV: Haven’t played for a few days, but tonight I managed to get a new space craft on the snow planet and traveled to a new space station. This second space station, like the first one you go to, helps control the weather for a planet, and communication has been lost between the two space stations. Turns out Dark Force was behind the second one’s problems!

I’m kind of surprised Dark Force showed up already, mainly because Zio (the bad guy I killed) was worshipping this thing. With my limited knowledge of Phantasy Star, I know that Dark Force is pretty much THE big bad of the original 4 games...but defeating him now long before the end of the game makes me think this was just a red herring boss. Rune seemed to know what Dark Force looked like, so there’s another mystery.

Definitely some strange goings on, but I like it. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Phantasy Star 4, and I’m glad to see that there is such a stellar RPG on the Genesis since it really wasn’t known for RPGs.

• Like 1

Just started Blue Dragon. It got a lot of flak for being a bog standard and traditional JRPG, but that’s exactly what I want to play. Not everything needs to reinvent the wheel. I will say, the protagonist is pretty annoying.

• Like 2
On 6/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, eal said:

Just started Blue Dragon. It got a lot of flak for being a bog standard and traditional JRPG, but that’s exactly what I want to play. Not everything needs to reinvent the wheel. I will say, the protagonist is pretty annoying.

I may be misremembering, but I feel like I remember people talking about the lack of mapping or something like that in Blue Dragon. Or maybe they just weren’t happy with the maps. 

...Or maybe I’m just completely losing my mind or thinking of a different game. 

Strange Journey Redux: So, totally because of the Nintendo Direct yesterday and ACTUALLY SEEING SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V GAMEPLAY, I popped SMT Strange Journey Redux back in my 3DS XL. Finished off Sector Delphinus, had a hell of a time fighting its boss, Asura, and am now making my way through Sector Eridanus. This is the longest part of the game by far, and boy, I already remember why I hate this part of the game. I’m using a map to get through the warp maze section. Not doing that off trial and error again! Haha

Collection of SaGa: Speaking of games I haven’t played in awhile, I got the urge to play this one again last night. Made some more progress in SaGa 2/Final Fantasy Legend 2, completing the Giant’s Land area and saving the priestess from the beginning of the game. Got enough Magi Orbs so I can continue onto the next world. Really need to find a good monster to help upgrade my monster party member, but he at least has an alright one for the moment.

• Like 1

Biggest update here is for NNK Remastered. I think I’m on the last little stretch (but who knows, I’ve thought that before). Cured all the zombi-ness from the citizens of the three big kingdoms the true villain has been revealed (along with an interesting backstory!). Some new bounties and side-quests popped up and while I don’t feel the need to finish every single one, I would like to reap most or all of the Merit awards so I’m going to be working on that for a while. Three more to go, I think. 

In Bravely Default, I got Asterisks for SwordMaster and Ninja. Neither class really impressed me in terms of the battles with their asterisk holders, but I am closing in on max job levels for some of my characters that have only done one Job so I’ll need to begin treading hybrid waters soon. 

And my time has still been super limited for SMT III. It’ll spike when I wrap up NNK or BD. For now I’m moving really slow and trying to learn the mechanics of the game. My party is full of Demons and I’ve got one in stock. Cleared the first area and now I need to figure out where to go next. 

• Like 1

Joker 3 Professional - Reached the ice world and now my monsters can dive underwater. Haven't played much, the past 48 hours were spent getting to the vacation house.

Slay the Spire - Been meaning to get this game for a year. Holy crap is it awesome! Played for a couple hours the past day in the car and when I woke up. The battles are turn-based and based on cards you get. It reminds me a lot of SteamWorld Quest in the battle system. Awesome fun, I've done 4 runs so far. Beat boss #1 3/4 times. It's Roguelike in that you run up the spite multiple times, but you keep some new unlocks after every defeat.

Inazuma Eleven - Need two more soccer matches to win!

I've been re-playing FF1 on the NES because I was too stoked for the Pixel remasters coming later this year. Tonight I go in and defeat Chaos.

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Joker 3 Professional - Reached the ice world

Just watch out for Dragons.

• Like 2

I actually purchased Final Fantasy Dimensions for the phone. The prologue was free to try and was around an hour long.

I gave it a go and ended up liking it, so instead of paying per chapter, I just went ahead and bough the game in full for $14. It has a pretty robust Job class system that I will have fun trying to figure out how to utilize better. It also has a really old school feel to it, despite it being those 2010 Square mobile graphics. It was also developed by Matrix Software so I know that it will be a quality game. Just trying to get over the hump of playing stuff on my phone. It's viable.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Bururian said:

Just watch out for Dragons.

Ah, the memories...

Got further into Kingdom Come Deliverance. It's an interesting level system based on using the exact skill than using overall experience (although there's "Main Level" too). Reminds me of FFII leveling, but much better at it.

Very difficult game, and that's how it was intended. People aren't supposed to win 1 on 5 in an armed combat. I've come to hate enemy dogs in this game.

Slay the Spire - Maybe I need to take a break from this. Don't like what it did to me tonight. I had an awesome run going, all poison-based and it was a killer deck. Lost to the boss of level 33, as usual. No biggie. Next run I have this weird-ass deck going, no poison and I get robbed on the 18th floor. Anyway, I get some amazing cards and such before level 33 and for the first time ever, beat that boss and make it to the 3rd and final area. I had to rebattle a boss fight due to bad RNG, but managed to somehow make it up to the 50th floor, final boss, full HP! It's a #$*! fight with big boss and 2 minions and I immediately don't get any good armor cards. Just duking it out and amazingly one turn comes together where I can win! I play all my cards and potions right, leave a minion to have 1HP and do 500 damage to a boss with 300 HP! Wahoo! Right?

No! The minion scratches me, then dies, but the boss is not dead. Just sitting there with ??? above its head. Next turn it revives with full HP. Now, I've blown EVERYTHING I had to kill the thing the turn before. So, I hit it weakly and died. WTF. Didn't think I'd get that far yet without unlocking better stuff, but what a cheap tactic!

So... I left the 3DS downstairs and on Father's Day I was too lazy to get out of bed. Thus, Slay the Spire it was. I completed a run! Wahoo! Final boss wasn't a cheap tactic this time (there are 3 final bosses it pulls from) and I was able to poison the hell out of it. Roll that beautiful (credits) bean footage! bc5d2d8c5298b7daa48b35f5035ea83f.jpgb40debe51e8572615f6590e286bd73a9.jpg

Strange Journey Redux: Finished the awful second half of Sector Eridanus (it took me nearly 3 hours to do it, damn I hate this place) and defeated the first battle with Ouroboros. I had a team ready to go against her but I forgot she could use Mahama, which is Light element insta death. Two of my demons couldn’t block it and bit the dust, but I had two in reserve who did block out Light element. So while not the team I wanted to use, I did claim victory. Good thing too, as this is one of the hardest boss fights in the game since Ouro keeps replenishing HP every turn.

Now to go and stop the sources of her power and finish her off permanently.

Phantasy Star IV: Played some more of this earlier. Didn’t get far, but found some optional areas with new gear and found a town dealing with zombie problems...wait, what? Zombies? That’s a weird turn for this game.

Well, night of the living dead aside, I lost my top tier cleric party member and gained another shortly after, and learned that one of my party members essentially has some Romancing SaGa 2 inheritance magic going on. Apparently said character is part of a line who take up the role of a powerful Esper (basically a Sage in this game) and gain power and magic from the previous members and inheritors of the line. So, definitely a surprise!

Still making our way to the tower on the Ice Planet to try and save it, but we’ll need a special flame to help deal with the trees blocking the way. I’m surprised how long the game has gone on for, but unfortunately with no in game playtime clock I have no idea how long I’ve actually been playing. This feels like a long RPG, so credit to Sega for making an engaging and lengthy RPG for a system that wasn’t known for RPGs.