What RPG's are you currently playing?

Been a lean week. Just too tired to game. But some weird dream woke me up a bit after midnight the other day and not being tired after, I finished Yo-Kai Watch Blasters! They really leaned into the Ghost Busters theme! Thought I'd need to power level and get a better fighter or two & better equipment as I'd just been going through the game with whatever. Spent a couple hours actually with set goals in mind, and low & behold... victory!

Hoping to now not split time and get back to kicking some balls in Inazuma Eleven.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

Posted Images

Good times with the soccer club last night. Opened up the top secret training facility. I can go through a maze of randomly generated rooms and if I make it through all the little battles (now that I'm high enough level, I have plenty of skills to end random encounters quickly) I can raise a pair of stats for everyone on the full team at once. I won the match at the end 7-0 and suddenly 11 players get two stat boosts each. Soooo much easier and more fun than doing 22 training sessions. And since training sessions cost money and the full training facility is free... I can see grinding here for fun.

About to take on Brainwashing Middle School. With a name like that, I'm not sure why everyone's surprised by their mind control...

• Like 1

Spent a good chunk of the day playing Bravely Default 2. Now that I’ve reached the super secret hush hush town, I’ve been going back to finish off side quests and maxing out job classes for everyone. At this point I can now take on bonus bosses in the various Halls of Tribulations scattered across the overworld, which lets you unlock the job class level caps and can reach their full potential. You automatically get this for the Freelancer after starting chapter 6 (which begs the question why this is a new chapter when it’s after the credits have rolled the first time but 🤷‍♂️), while each Hall has 3-4 different asterisk bosses, with each conveniently using the new skills you will be obtaining! What are the odds!

There is a neat detail to these bosses though. Since the Asterisks hold the memories of their users, you essentially get to the fight the physical embodiments of that, with the bosses having this grey tinted color scheme and the fuzzy sort of effect cutscenes from Elvis’ book tends to have. Sadly this doesn’t carry over into the battle screens, but still, it’s a cool little detail.

These battles have been tough but fun. For as split as I am on this game, the combat gameplay and job class system is a lot of fun. There’s a lot of stuff you can do, and with the two Halls I’ve completed I can already see some interesting stuff you can do with the full potential of the respective classes.

• Like 1

Got a review code for Miitopia & I've already sunk like 4 hours into it. It's pretty fun, and hella funny! So far my party is:

Horse: Medea & she's purple with rainbow hair.
Hero: Purple Platty Warrior
Batman: Warrior
Waluigi: Mage
Jesus: Cleric (he's a savior in battle)

What's amazing is every time you meet someone in the game, you can customize their name and face. Nintendo has all the data of people that were shared during the 3DS era of this game, so when I meet someone new, I look online and browse popular characters. There's a great sage out there that's helps me. Made him Gandolf. Some other fun stuff too.

Just beat my 100th faced monster (the story is the big bad dude is stealing people's faces and putting them on random animals/monsters making them badder) and decided that's a point to stop after ~4 hours today. It's interesting that I only control my Platty character, but the others have pretty good AI.

• Like 1

Now that I’ve made a mess of Yangus and Platty’s Race thread (sorry guys!)

I’ll post this here, where it belongs:

I’ve gotten about 3 hours to play in the last five days. In that time, I obtained the Performer asterisk in Bravely Default, knocked out about four side-quests in NNK Remastered and also completed a necessary wooden instrument. 

After all that, I spent about 20 minutes into what I’m hoping is a decent lead on where to get the last Sigil I need in DQ II. I didn’t realize how much I rely on modern quest markers until I dove into the game, and now I keep feeling kinda dumb and lost haha. 

....and now I’ll log off for the night since I am apparently too tired to even navigate the den 😂

Last night I was able to get another hour or so into Bravely Default. I rescued a little boy from slave labor and brought him back to town. Haven’t taken the next step yet. Running my team with a Monk, Knight, Red Mage, and White Mage. My monk also has a moderate skill level as a red mage for when tough battles require extra healing and/or elemental damage. I also grabbed my Knight a sword that does Ice Damage and he’s holding it with both hands. I’d say my Knight is my heartiest character and my Red Mage is the most versatile.

Can’t say yet whether or not I’m happy about maintaining everyone’s jobs for so long. I feel like I’m missing out on some fun stuff, but the opposite side of that is that I feel like I’m truly mastering what the classes have to offer. I guess we will see how it plays out as the game goes on. I think I’m creeping in on 30 hours logged. 

As for NNK Remastered, I got about 45 minutes in so far today and I’m hoping for another 20 or so. I’ve still got the main quest on hold while I do side quests and bounties. I’m down to two bounties on the board and I’ve got about 12-15 side-quests. Some are super-quick and others can take hours (like the ones that require you to tame specific familiars). I doubt I’ll end up doing all of them, but I do want to get enough merit cards to get the most expensive reward on the board, which says it “Unlocks Oliver’s true potential as a wizard,” or something along those lines. I’m not sure what all that means but hopefully I’ll find out soon enough. 

And I’m about to hop onto DQ II for 25 minutes or so. Still working my way toward finding that last sigil and activating whatever event happens when I use all five. DQ II is a bit of a trudge. Certainly ahead of it’s time for when it was released in terms of having an open world, etc, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to the day I can say I beat it and move on. 

I started up SMT3 yesterday and I love it. I am being foolish by playing on Hard and not looking up a guide. Well, mostly since I looked online on what the stats do specifically.

I did some grinding in a large tunnel, and I am about 8 hours in. This game really doesn't mess around. The Amala Network boss was tough since I was playing risky.

Now that I have better understanding of the game, I am having a ton of fun with it. I plan on sticking to hard mode. At least for a while longer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I started up SMT3 yesterday and I love it. I am being foolish by playing on Hard and not looking up a guide. Well, mostly since I looked online on what the stats do specifically.

I did some grinding in a large tunnel, and I am about 8 hours in. This game really doesn't mess around. The Amala Network boss was tough since I was playing risky.

Now that I have better understanding of the game, I am having a ton of fun with it. I plan on sticking to hard mode. At least for a while longer.

Ahh! I got mine in the mail yesterday! Not going to start it until I finish DQ II though. 

Sounds like you never played the original?

Either way you’ll be a ways ahead of me so I’ll be sure to let you know when I need help 😂

11 hours ago, Twinkie said:

You looked up what stats do?! That’s cheating! 😘

But no, just kidding. Glad you’re enjoying the game so much. Welcome to the SMT Brotherhood. You’ll enjoy the pain of the difficulty more and more, and Nocturne will help you dive right in! Haha

As for me, I’ve made some more progress in SaGa Frontier Remastered. Wasn’t a huge amount, but I was able to get some new information and features opened up in T260G’s story. I can now change around the body model for T2 for different stat perks and skills, and after meeting Dr. Leonard it sounds like he can help you get some new robo related skills via analysis. Not sure if that is true or not but we’ll see.

Been trying to use different characters in each new story I’ve played so far, and after helping the Nakajima Robotics lead I gained a new robot ally named ZEKE. His model almost looks like the space craft you control in the arcade game Gradius, and it’s default speed stat is 99! That’s crazy since it’s only the start of T2’s story and already someone in the party has a maxed out stat.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, cprmauldin said:

Ahh! I got mine in the mail yesterday! Not going to start it until I finish DQ II though. 

Sounds like you never played the original?

Either way you’ll be a ways ahead of me so I’ll be sure to let you know when I need help 😂

I own a PS2 copy of Nocturne I bought several years ago. But I never played it. This is my first mainline SMT game. The only two I have played was Persona 4 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Both games I really didn't play for more then 5 hours. So I guess you can say it is my first "real" SMT title since the other two are spinoffs. But I am having a blast with it so far!

On 5/27/2021 at 9:13 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You looked up what stats do?! That’s cheating! 😘

But no, just kidding. Glad you’re enjoying the game so much. Welcome to the SMT Brotherhood. You’ll enjoy the pain of the difficulty more and more, and Nocturne will help you dive right in! Haha

Hey, the game really didn't explain some things so I just had to. I feel like I deserve a tiny lookup on that stuff if I am starting on hard 😆

I managed to get passed Matador last night. I am surprised on how well I handled the fight. The first attempt was pathetic. The health bars might as well not have existed for how badly he destroyed me. I REALLY wanted that strength based Magatama. So I grinded for that for a long time and built up a team on what I thought would handle it pretty well. The strategy ended up working well on my 3rd attempt. I just spammed the team wide healing, and buffed up the characters with defense. I ended up going with a strength build with MC and ended up having him do a lot of the work. Having counter on MC helped out a lot too! So I survived the fight and pulled through. I am pretty optimistic going forward since he is apparently the "gatekeeper" of the game. My MC was level 22 when I defeated him. I had one monster that was only level 11 and surprisingly didn't get killed on my final attempt.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 2

Been all over the place RPG-wise. Guess it'd be good to summarize here as I'm going to talk about it all on a podcast in 3 hours.

Inazuma Eleven - still just having fun playing matches down in the training facility and building up an entire team's stats at one time. Sure it takes like 10 minutes, but getting a +1 to eleven people's stats is worth it!

Legend of the River King GBC - I've been wanting a chill game to get me through NHL playoffs and though this would be great. A fishing RPG! Heck, it even had a battle with a crow at one point, instead of just fishing! Unfortunately, I never caught a fish. It was brutally difficult even reading up on it. Gave it almost 2 hours before giving up for a more modern version.

River King Mystic Valley DS - this game I'm enjoying. Almost 4 hours in and I've raised my finish rank once and would be able to move on the 4th area if not for me being stupid and not advancing the story. You can catch a certain number of fish to get these cards that can be sold for more cash. I was trying to get my first upgrade pole so I was catching these large fish in the 3rd area. Got 5 and got a card and immediately sold it for cash and a new pole. Yay! Decide to talk to the NPC and try to move on to the next area. Dude won't help me out unless I give him THAT ONE SPECIFIC CARD. Ugh, there are about 20 or so different fish types I've caught, but the one specific card I actually had and sold is the one he wants. Whomp Whomp. Time to get fishing! Some fun things about this game is it has a monster I recruited and evolved up twice now. Also, my character's reason for fishing is to catch the River King fish, which can cure my sister, who's basically in a coma. The fascinating part about that is you save the game by talking to your sister, becuase it's good to keep talking to people in comas. Oddly touching way to simply save the game.

Miitopia has taken the majority of my time though this past week. I'm plowing through. At one point, you pretty much finish up one kingdom (where poor Princess Zelda, daughter of grossly obese King Ronald McDonald was stuck in a love triangle with Noble Squidward & Prince Squidward) and head to another when poof, your party is gone and job is forced to be changed and reset to level 1. Jesus, Batman, and Waluigi need my help. Time to partner up with Erdrick and go save them! Despite me having a blast with this, honestly it's a very average RPG. The difficulty is almost nonexistent and I've turned battles to full auto as you only control the MC anyway & I just hold down the speed-up button to get through fast. I do like all the dialogue and exploration though.

• Like 2

SaGa Frontier - Made some good progress in T260G’s story. Finished off the 3 locations the game pointed me towards, and after recruiting Dr. Leonard to the party a new dungeon became available with more story info. Did some side exploring after that to get enough money to make good use of the gold market and then headed off for the mysterious HQ location that kept appearing in all of T2’s data research earlier on. Seems this will be a nice place to try and gain new skills for my Mech party members, but I’m wondering if I’m at the point where I need to drop Riki in exchange for another human or the other new Mech I just recruited. Monster party members can’t gain skills/stats of mechanical enemies, so Riki may be benched like he was in my Blue playthrough.

Seems like I’m nearing the end of T2’s story, so it may be time to start another story later this week. I’ve liked the change of pace with a mostly Mech party, but boy do you need a lot of money to give them good equipment and stat upgrades! Haha

• Like 1

Got the Salve-maker Asterisk in Bravely Default and now I’m working my way toward the fire temple. My Knight has an ice sword so he’s absolutely demolishing the fire based monsters in this cave. 

In DQ II, I made it through the Cave of Rendarak, albeit slowly. I had to Evac once for a full party rest and my second run I noted all of my twists and turns so I wouldn’t be as lost. The monsters on the other side of this cave are TOUGH. Looks like it’s time for a little grinding.

• Like 1

I am finally starting P4:Golden and my god! I'm a couple hours in and have maybe done 5 battles. I think they have, so far, over explained the plot. I'm about to give it up.

• Like 1

It’s been Mostly NNK: Remastered today, though that only means about an hour of gameplay. I wrapped up a few more side-quests and now am only missing four merit awards, I got the expensive 8-card reward which gave Oliver a nice boost. Also, I have completed all available bounties at this moment. There are still a few lingering side-quests, but I cleared the air in the Miasma Marshes and am slowly working my way through. Big difficulty spike here, especially with common enemies having what appear to be insta-kill attacks. 

I’ve got a little bit more gaming time available today, and maybe an hour or two available tomorrow, so I’ll see if I can’t do some grinding on the DQ II front and wrap up the Fire Temple stuff in Bravely Default (no idea on time-frames for that). 

If I end up looping around and playing some more NNK, it’ll most likely just be some more time in the Miasma marshes, since I’ll likely have to head back and heal while clearing the map and finding any chests. 

• Like 1

Miitopia. 3rd major area, gotta make a new 3rd party now! Geeze, wonder how long this gameplay loop is going to be. I may be a little over 10 hours into this. Unsure as the game won't tell me and Switch is all "you played this for the first time a week ago" or whatever dumb thing it says for a whole. The longer I play, the less I like the game. It's combat is just... all AI. As I mentioned before, you can only control your main character, and there are no AI settings for the others, they do what they want. Which is kinda OK, because there's little to no need to worry about any difficulty. I fear I have a long way to go.

T260G’s story has been completed! Shortest time so far for beating a story in SaGa Frontier. T2’s final boss was difficult to figure out how to fight, but I realized how best to fight it and the best times to heal against it. Had to rearrange my party and gear for my mechs, but the team and my one human ally, Gen, saved the day! T2’s story had a nice ending to it, and some very pretty music to tie it all together.

Not sure who I’ll play as next, but I’m thinking either Emelia or Asellus. Figure it’s time one of the lady protagonists got a chance in the spotlight.

• Like 1

SaGa Frontier - Started Asellus’s story. Her story seems to have much more text to it than the others I’ve played thus far, helping set up the Mystic’s realm and culture and the strange situation Asellus has wound up in. I haven’t really used Mystic race party members much, so I’m curious how this story mode will go since I don’t know how the growth of Mystic character stats works. Oh well, live and learn.

Phantasy Star 4 - Started this up on my Genesis Mini. I normally wouldn’t jump in to a later game in the series like this since I’m not very familiar with Phantasy Star, but...well, I already have my Genesis Mini plugged in and I don’t feel like going back to Phantasy Star 2 at the moment. Not because of the difficulty, just not in the mood.

Anyway, really liking Phantasy Star 4 so far. Seems like you can play this game no problem without knowledge of the other games before it (though I did already catch a few nods to PS2) and it’s got that nice difficulty balance so far. Reminds me of Dragon Quest BUT IN SPACE in that regard.

• Like 1

Whew. Rough day in Inazuma Eleven, but man, I'm super proud of getting through. Got back into the game a couple hours today. Beat a team of adults to get access to this restaurant to advance the story, then after that had to take on another gimmick team. Basically all but my main scorer and my goalie had all their stats reduced to 1. Every. Single. Stat. Ugh, it was a horrible game to have to play. Basically I lost every challenge that I got in between players, couldn't outrun a damn thing. The first time I tried it I scored immediately, then held on until my goalie ran out of MP. They scored right at the end and then again in OT. Ugh. Started a few more games, knew I was gonna lose quickly. Finally attempt 4 or 5 I scored in the first 10 minutes, had memorized which of the opponents had special goal attacks (so I could save goalie MP). Scored twice in the first half and held on for a 2-0 lead.

• Like 1

I started Kingdom Come which is somewhat of a mixed RPG and mixed action (less so than Mass Effect or Dragon Age) game. It's got potential, and I really like the historical theme.

I haven't had the time to really get into it yet, but I like the game so far.

• Like 2

Wahoo! Didn't know this could happen, but I took the Regional Champ soccer team on early this morning. Tied game. Tied overtime. Went to PK. Went to extra PK. PKs involve zero skill, just guessing which of 5 zones the computer will kick to, and then vice versa on offense. Lost in the 7th or 8th PK. Reloaded and it only took that 2nd game to come away victorious. Decided not to reset after going down 1-0 early, scored 3 straight goals and hung on to win 3-2. What I liked about this match is that there was no #$*!ing cheap gimmick like some of the other matches, it was just a tough team. They had defensive and offensive special moves on damn near every character, but so do I. Fair match, more fun that way.

Story definitely isn't over. Entering chapter 7 (of 10?) now. It's time for Nationals! dc8be5765a6165a050ac86a91d92cc34.jpg

• Like 2

Wrapped up Dragon Quest II, it felt good. It was a great game and I’m glad to have played through all the mainline DQ titles (sans DQ X for obvious reasons). I may write a little review on it soon. Possibly my least favorite DQ title, but still lots of fun.

I’m thinking SMT III Nocturne will be my next Switch game, but I’ve also got Tales of Vesperia begging to be played. Hell maybe I’ll play both. We shall see!

• Like 1

I must have gotten Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga either the year or the year after it came out, and yet I was too unfamiliar with non-Pokémon JRPGs at the time to really grasp all the mechanics. I had a series of stops and starts, and I even got all the way to the final boss, but try as I might, I just couldn’t beat it. I remember a few years ago I tried once again with all the knowledge of JRPGs I’d accumulated over the years to help guide me through. However, my GBA was starting to become unreliable and would routinely not read a cartridge, turn off unprompted, or the sound would cut out. So that attempt came to a halt as well.

A few weeks ago I had a surge of inspiration and bought the Wii U Virtual Console’s version. Thankfully, this time around went much smoother and I’ve finally, finally, finally finished Superstar Saga. ⭐️ 

• Like 1

Phantasy Star 4 - Boy, a lot of stuff has happened. Confronted the bad guy Zio and got my butt kicked (a hopeless boss fight all the way) and I lost two party members. I did get a new character thanks to Demi the robot, and she has already been a heck of a party member. Nice variety of skills to attack and support. Her cheery personality is a nice change to have in the party. 

Game got real emotional with cutscenes just now too after reuniting with Rune the mage. He was a party member early on but left not long after first joining. However, after said cutscenes it seems like he’s going to be a permanent party member, which I’m all for. I need a new powerful magic character since Hahn is no longer in the party.

Definitely liking the game, and I’m impressed with the story and characterization. Reminds me of what I really liked about Final Fantasy IV back when I first played the game.

Still playing Nocturne, though this game is going to be a very long and slow burn for me. I was very naive to think I would have the fortitude to just grind away at this game. It breaks you at times. So I have to take breaks with this game pretty often. Been juggling this with games with more casual games on the side.

One thing I was bothered about was the fact that in recent years I couldn't enjoy a mainline Pokémon game. I did find some enjoyment with X and Y, but the enjoyment I had from gen 3 and prior was all gone. I figured that my taste in games just changed. I can say at least that the monster JRPG genre isn't lost on me. I guess I just really don't like Pokémon games anymore, and just assumed I stopped enjoying monster JRPGs because of it. So now I am going to start planning on playing other games in the genre to expand it past Pokémon. Doubt it will be another SMT game right away. Especially since SMT5 might be around the corner soon.

I have neglected a lot of Dragon Quest Spinoff games. So I might give the Monster series a try again. I played DWM2 years ago but don't remember much of it.

Edited by Twinkie