What RPG's are you currently playing?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

It's not too bad, have to keep an eye out for it, or make sure to stick to the plains as much as possible for lower consumption. @Plattym3 didn't think it hindered him much at all.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Posted Images

Just got the platinum on Saga Frontier in about 61 hours. It was really good! It’s still one of my favorite SaGa games, along with SF2.
My goodness. I put 65 hours into DQM2, but that took a full month. Congrats!

DQ II - I got a ship and now the world is mine to explore! 

Ni No Kuni - Got an important stone from a cold place. Time to drift off into some side quests and bounties.

Bravely Default - Got the Red Mage Asterisk. I was going to wait to max out my current jobs but I couldn’t resist getting another decent healer on-board who can also do some physical and Magical Damage. Hopefully it pays off.

Man, I just couldn't stay awake last night.  Even woke up in the middle of the night to play (something I do if I go to sleep before 9pm like I did last night), but my brain was too fuzzy.  Got in a little time when I finally woke up at 5am before my alarm, but... 

Started Yo-kai Watch Blasters, I'm team Cat.  Already loving being back in the Yo-Kai world.  Don't care a damn lick about all the assets they reused, I love walking around familiar towns again.  100% a rip on Ghostbusters, and loving it for that.  When the hearse pulls out of the ole' fire department HQ, there's a huge TATARI billboard in the background, with the logo looking like the ATARI one, but in the shape of a T.  All great stuff.  I spent a good 5-10 hours playing Blasters stuff in Yo-Kai Watch 3, so I'm glad to be able to revisit that.  The gameplay is pretty tame so far as I'm only about 80 minutes in, gotta work on being a better part of a team as I'm just tearing through stuff solo so far and my team barely keeps up. 

SaGa Frontier Remastered: Still slowly working through Red’s story. I find this game is easy to play for an hour or two then set it down for the night. These SaGa games are good for playing in chunks.

Anyway, I took down the first of the leaders from BlackX, Berva. Funny enough, you actually meet this guy earlier on in Red’s story in the masked material arts tournament in the Shingrow region. Defeating him was difficult since you have fight his boss fight twice (first time you beat him he retreats to try and safe his own skin) but I managed to win and was rewarded with Shingrow Palace blowing up! Wait, that’s not a good thing!

Jokes aside, I wasn’t expecting that, nor did I expect one of the ruins in that region to be an important part of BlackX’s plans. I know I’m only into my second story with the game, but I like that you get to learn new details about areas you may have previously gone to in another story.

• Like 2

These SaGa games are good for playing in chunks.

They make me think about a "in chunks" phrase too.
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

They make me think about a "in chunks" phrase too. emoji8.png

You just need to learn how to play from this:

spacer.png

😘

You just need to learn how to play from this:
9f728cd259cff54742090dc9ab7363bb.jpg

Yeah. You know, I get bad Intel. I keep hearing (incorrectly) that Romancing SaGa 2 and SaGa Frontier aren't "too SaGa". And I play them and they're SaGa personified.
16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

SaGa Frontier Remastered: Still slowly working through Red’s story. I find this game is easy to play for an hour or two then set it down for the night. These SaGa games are good for playing in chunks.

Anyway, I took down the first of the leaders from BlackX, Berva. Funny enough, you actually meet this guy earlier on in Red’s story in the masked material arts tournament in the Shingrow region. Defeating him was difficult since you have fight his boss fight twice (first time you beat him he retreats to try and safe his own skin) but I managed to win and was rewarded with Shingrow Palace blowing up! Wait, that’s not a good thing!

Jokes aside, I wasn’t expecting that, nor did I expect one of the ruins in that region to be an important part of BlackX’s plans. I know I’m only into my second story with the game, but I like that you get to learn new details about areas you may have previously gone to in another story.

Random question, because I’ll eventually try the two SaGa games I bought for Switch, do they have save-anywhere features or do you have to save at particular points?

7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Random question, because I’ll eventually try the two SaGa games I bought for Switch, do they have save-anywhere features or do you have to save at particular points?

Save anywhere. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Save anywhere. 

Perfect. Glad most Switch RPGs are going to that style of saving.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Perfect. Glad most Switch RPGs are going to that style of saving.

That’s been a thing with the SaGa series since the original Gameboy game, my dude. And you’ll want it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s been a thing with the SaGa series since the original Gameboy game, my dude. And you’ll want it.

Oh, I bet. And with the way you’ve talked about the difficulty in figuring out what to do next, taking notes doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Wish I did that from the beginning of DQ II, I am wandering around the world like a lost lamb at the moment 😂 

SaGa Frontier: Getting close to ending Red’s story...I think. I’ve beaten 3 of the 4 BlackX Emperors now, and it seems the last one is in Kyo. Reached the town and sure enough, saw a pilgrim from the beginning of Red’s story heading for the building I met M. Black earlier in Red’s story. Sure enough, there was a hidden entrance to an underground base there, so we’ll see who the next Emperor is I’ll be going after. If we’re going with the rest of the Emperors and how the story has played out, I bet I’ve already met the next Emperor via one of the NPCs I’ve met before now. Gotta give the game credit for introducing you to the villains of Red story at different points.

Anyway, after the last time I played and wound up inside Tanzer because of the Rune Quest (which is optional on Red’s route), I was finally able to get out and get my party better equipped thanks to the gold market. It definitely helped with fighting Shuzer in Koorong, that’s for darn sure. Haha

• Like 2

SaGa Frontier: Finished Red’s Story today. After beating the 4th Emperor you are invited back to the Cygnus and, with the help of the ship’s crew, you sneak on to the Black Ray ship. That was an annoying dungeon, I’ll tell you what. You can freely look around for what treasures are available, but as soon as you run into Metal Black on the bridge, you have to avoid him and not re-enter the same rooms until you get the notification that the ship will soon land. Finding the right path to avoid MB until then took a lot of retries, but I finally found the right path to get the mech part I was wanting.

Thankfully, that nonsense makes way for the final dungeon. You get to use Alkaiser mode for the entire final dungeon, you get to go all out on a rematch with the 4 Emperors, and finish strong with one final showdown with Metal Black and the head honcho of BlackX. Thankfully you get the chance to heal inbetween all the back to back boss fights, which is a blessing because if you didn’t you’d have to really do some serious resource management.

Red’s story was pretty fun overall. Certainly a lot easier time than I had with Blue’s story. Red/Alkaiser was fun as a playable character, and it was neat seeing new sides to areas from Blue’s story. 

Going to start up T2’s story next.

• Like 1

I've got 5ish hours into Yo-Kai Blasters so far. Enjoying it. It's a nice little something to do when I'm watching TV. Not enough to it to hold my attention on its own. But that's perfectly fine for a chill experience now. Gotta figure out what's big on deck next.

Up past 9 hours in Blasters. At this point, I guess... It's ok. There's really not much to it. Go on mission, hit bad guys, win. I mean, story . It's scratched a Yo-Kai itch, but not much else.

Anyone ever play some Inazuma Eleven? Or Ace Attorney? I'm kinda in the mood for Level-5. Or maybe it's time to stop the 5-month interlude and get back to Crossbell.

Up past 9 hours in Blasters. At this point, I guess... It's ok. There's really not much to it. Go on mission, hit bad guys, win. I mean, story . It's scratched a Yo-Kai itch, but not much else.

Blasters main draw is the multiplayer for sure.
  • Like 1

Nearing the end of Yo-Kai Blasters, so I went ahead and started Inazuma Eleven today. It's pure Level-5. Taking a lot of getting used to with stylus controls, but I think I'll get there. Lost random encounters for an hour and then won my next full game, so at least I was learning. Played 2 hours, excited for more.

• Like 1

D'oh. Tied a game that was scripted to be tied at halftime. Know what that got me?

Game Over

Time to get better.

Yikes. F-ing gameplay element. I got beat. 11 times to be exact. It took 12 tries to win against this team called Occult. Basically I had about 6 "minutes" (clock moves fast so maybe 1-1.5 real mins) to score in the first half of a match before the other team got a scripted goal and it took me to halftime. Then all my shots were blocked in the 2nd half until I used the power of friendship to do a specific move I didn't know about until I had a few shots blocked. What a #$*! concept. It took me 2 hours of resets. I'm at 5:20 playtime now, but the 3DS clocks me over 7:35.

Anyway, I immediately played that team again in a "friendly" and won 5-0 just for spite. Then the next story match I won 2-0 quite easily. One stupid mechanic almost got me to rage quit.

Still going strong though!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Yikes. F-ing gameplay element. I got beat. 11 times to be exact. It took 12 tries to win against this team called Occult. Basically I had about 6 "minutes" (clock moves fast so maybe 1-1.5 real mins) to score in the first half of a match before the other team got a scripted goal and it took me to halftime. Then all my shots were blocked in the 2nd half until I used the power of friendship to do a specific move I didn't know about until I had a few shots blocked. What a #$*! concept. It took me 2 hours of resets. I'm at 5:20 playtime now, but the 3DS clocks me over 7:35. emoji15.png

Anyway, I immediately played that team again in a "friendly" and won 5-0 just for spite. Then the next story match I won 2-0 quite easily. One stupid mechanic almost got me to rage quit.

Still going strong though!

Ouch! Good work pushing through.

As for me, my game-time hasn’t been the best over the past two weeks, though I have made some decent progress in BD and DQ II. 

Bravely Default - I fought some inorganic monsters that were protecting a bottle of some toxic stuff. First time I got beat. Their HP wasn’t high but there were three of them and they had some decent attack power. So, I did some Job-management, gear-management, and a little bit of grinding and I was able to beat em.

DQ II - Like I said, I have been zooming, sailing, and marching around like a lost lamb, and been somewhat successful. I got two keys I wanted and managed to get a few sigils (it’s kinda hard to track which one’s I’ve got). Anyway, I do feel like I’m at a bit of a roadblock and missing an area or something. Per my zoom list, I think I’m missing 3 or 4 destinations. I’ll probably throw another hour or two at exploration and if I don’t have success I may consult a guide. 

I haven’t had a chance to play PS4 in a while so no update for NNK Remastered. 

Okay, so Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is the game I’ve done the most restarts and never finished. First, I’d get stuck on the Queen, then Bowser (that one in particular seemed to halt progress most often), then many years later I was able to get as far as the final boss, but try as I might, I couldn’t clear that hurdle. A couple years ago I committed to getting it done, but my GBA is very inconsistent and can sometimes just turn off (or struggle to read a cartridge), so I ran into issues getting the game to play.

That ends now. I bought the version on Wii U Virtual Console and I am finishing this.

• Like 1

I’ve replayed Superstar Saga many times. It’s fun to see how fast you can unlock the Advanced versions of the Bro moves in combat and what rare stuff you can steal from bosses with the first of the secret scroll moves.

There’s a lot of great stuff to that game.

20 hours ago, eal said:

Okay, so Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is the game I’ve done the most restarts and never finished. First, I’d get stuck on the Queen, then Bowser (that one in particular seemed to halt progress most often), then many years later I was able to get as far as the final boss, but try as I might, I couldn’t clear that hurdle. A couple years ago I committed to getting it done, but my GBA is very inconsistent and can sometimes just turn off (or struggle to read a cartridge), so I ran into issues getting the game to play.

That ends now. I bought the version on Wii U Virtual Console and I am finishing this.

Sounds like a fun challenge! Good luck and keep us in the loop on your journey!

I think today is the only day I’ll get to play NNK Remastered. Spending my time on side-quests and bounties which seem to be endlessly multiplying. But I’m also making main-quest progress since Mornstar is all put together and good to go. The game remains a solid challenge. Not crazy difficult but certainly more challenging than it’s cartoony art-style would have one think. I find strategy being increasingly important as the boss battles go on.