What RPG's are you currently playing?

20 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I’m looking strictly at carts. I don’t mind repro carts though. What do you think of The Sacred Stones? That one seems fairly accessible to me.

Yeah, Sacred Stones is a pretty nice one and the game splits into 2 routes,so it has good replay value as well

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

It's not too bad, have to keep an eye out for it, or make sure to stick to the plains as much as possible for lower consumption. @Plattym3 didn't think it hindered him much at all.

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Pedro said:

Yeah, Sacred Stones is a pretty nice one and the game splits into 2 routes,so it has good replay value as well

Perfect thanks!

And, I beat Digimon Cybersleuth. Very bittersweet, I’m planning on reviewing this one since I think a lot of Denizens would love it. May take a while to sit down and compile my thoughts and get em down on paper. Also, there’s the whole Hackers Memory side which I guess is like a whole new game so maybe I’ll start that in the next year or so.

I’m thinking I’ll play DQII on switch next but I’m not 100% committed to that as of yet.

Snatched the Ranger Asterisk in Bravely Default and moving onto the next sub plot. I’m looking forward to maxing out a current job or two so I can try out some of these other jobs.

• Like 1

I've now sunk 46 hours into Dragon Quest Monsters 2 the past 15 days or so. I beat the main story and am now conflicted if I just just go crazy breeding (haha, like I haven't already) or just keep going because honestly I'm blowing through bosses on auto without healing basically.

I'm about 5 minutes in to SaGa Frontier, playing as Red. I need to get this going this week as I'm supposed to write a paragraph about this for a feature at RPGamer.

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest is going well. I talked about this in the DQ Music Slime Time Episode 036 thread. I've finished all of DQI and DQII music on multiple difficulty levels and am up to 5000 points, so Yangus says I'm like 10% of the way there!

Yakuza Like a Dragon got some time last week when I took a day off, but I think I may concede defeat on the race and put that off until Memorial Day Weekend when school is done. I'll have better time to play PS4 in summer than during the school year.

• Like 2

Bravely Default 2: This has become the new “Play it a lot on a day off,” game. Made a lot of progress on Wednesday and was able to get to the start of chapter 4. There was a character reveal I wasn’t expecting (though it did explain a lot of dodging that went on earlier in conversations) and lots of new job classes to try out.

SaGa Frontier Remastered: Almost done with the Card Quest in Blue’s story for Arcane Magic, but I’ve run into a difficult point. So, for a change of pace I started up Red’s story. Liking the Power Ranger/Gatchaman theme he has going on, and how characters will call him out for his crazy Goku looking hairstyle. Currently in Koorong looking for clues on Black X and what they’ve done with the cargo they stole from the Cygnus, the ship that Red works on.

I’m slowly but surely figuring out the mechanics for this SaGa game. Having played others does help, and for the few stories I’ve done I like how you get to see different sides of the same characters depending on where they are at in their own travels.

• Like 1

SaGa Frontier - it took over 2 hours, but I'm an hour into Red's story. This will officially be my last try at SaGa. There's way too much going on and non of it is explained. Yangus finally told me where I can read how to play. In the Config menu. You know, where I'd normally go to change volume or graphics settings. Yup. Not enjoying this.

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

SaGa Frontier - it took over 2 hours, but I'm an hour into Red's story. emoji849.png This will officially be my last try at SaGa. There's way too much going on and non of it is explained. Yangus finally told me where I can read how to play. In the Config menu. You know, where I'd normally go to change volume or graphics settings. Yup. Not enjoying this.

If you checked menus right away you would have found it at the beginning. 😘

Restarted Grandia: Parallel Trippers last night. This is a game I had a lot of fun with last summer, but hadn't quite configured the GBC emulator correctly on my Vita and lost my 5-6 hour save. Now that I've hacked my 3DS, it has native support for all Nintendo GB/GBC/GBA. It installs them as Virtual Console titles, so hard to screw up saves that way. It's supposed to be a nice 10-12 hour game and I'm already playing around with systems I hadn't touched last time, so an hour in, I'm having fun!

Also booted up and was able to pull my save off a 7 year-old play through of DQ: Caravan Heart. Jumping right to hour 48 just to remember a few things.e659f705c61ce8f42abd8ad204d78b1c.jpgfb9cfbd16cd0d3c951bab8cee700c4d2.jpg

f81e9a6d4984f52883cf74864768cc97.jpg

• Like 1

Grandia: Parallel Trippers. - 3 hours in. Got 1 of the 3 keys I'm supposed to get, then did a HUGE optional area, got the cow character. Learning a lot more about combining skills this playthrough. Got some good 2 and 3 combos going.

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest - passed 10,000 points last night while finishing off all the DQI-V music in the one mode with all the songs in a grid. Did some optional other mode and got 1 of 5 slimes. All my characters got into the 70s and then changed Alena into a thief. She's already up in the 40s. Still don't really get what that does, but

In Dragon Quest Monsters 2, I'm 2 of 3 keys on the way to getting the Ultimate Key in the post game. Did some special breeding to get a couple SS-** super guys. Passing 53 hours and loving getting into story again!

• Like 1

SaGa Frontier Remastered: Completed Blue’s story! I finally got past the Shield Card road block, and from there I went on to claim Time Magic by defeating the Time Lord, won the duel against Rouge, and found out the truth behind the battle behind the twins and why their homeland sent them off to kill one another. Suddenly, in a bizarre way, it made sense why Blue was forced to go through such ordeals before confronting his brother.

The final boss was a real bastard, but I found out a trick for defeating him thanks to combing the power of Time Magic and Space Magic. I had made a few attempts myself before retrying to use Overdrive (which is Time Magic), but I learned that while in Overdrive mode, you won’t lose out on weapon points (WP) and Magic power (called JP for some reason) once you activate it, and to further prevent the loss you use the Stasis spell at the end of Overdrive to prevent the loss of WP&JP that normally happens! Ha! Definitely a busted trick, but that is part of the fun of these SaGa games! You can end up making them as easy or as hard as you want. Gotta thank the community of this series for helping discover these kinds of tricks and combos for other players.

Overall, I enjoyed Blue’s story. Definitely got my feet wet with this SaGa game and helped me learn some of the tricks and trades of combat and the best places to go for goods. I definitely got to see just how much fun it can be to be a villain protagonist like Blue, from using destructive magic to abusing the gold trade for mad cash. Looking forward to starting the next story soon and see what awaits one of the other protagonists.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 6:26 AM, Plattym3 said:

Restarted Grandia: Parallel Trippers last night. This is a game I had a lot of fun with last summer, but hadn't quite configured the GBC emulator correctly on my Vita and lost my 5-6 hour save. Now that I've hacked my 3DS, it has native support for all Nintendo GB/GBC/GBA. It installs them as Virtual Console titles, so hard to screw up saves that way. It's supposed to be a nice 10-12 hour game and I'm already playing around with systems I hadn't touched last time, so an hour in, I'm having fun!

Also booted up and was able to pull my save off a 7 year-old play through of DQ: Caravan Heart. Jumping right to hour 48 just to remember a few things.e659f705c61ce8f42abd8ad204d78b1c.jpgfb9cfbd16cd0d3c951bab8cee700c4d2.jpg

f81e9a6d4984f52883cf74864768cc97.jpg

Oof! I still have my Caravan Heart Translated Cart sitting on my shelf. The whole limited moves based on food or whatever has me feeling a little overwhelmed by the thought of starting it.

In Bravely Default, I got the Summoner Asterisk abs proceeded through events to the point where I’ve got two more sub plots on my map and I’ve gotta track down another Vestal. 

In NNK remastered, I’m in a snowy place tracking down a second stone for Mornstar. I did a bunch of Bounty Hunts to grind up before this bit, but I still feel a little weak in this dungeon. I may Pause my journey for a little bit of focused grinding. 

I’ve officially started DQ II and going at it very slow. I’ve got the silver key and joined forces with the Prince of Cannock. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Oof! I still have my Caravan Heart Translated Cart sitting on my shelf. The whole limited moves based on food or whatever has me feeling a little overwhelmed by the thought of starting it.

It's not too bad, have to keep an eye out for it, or make sure to stick to the plains as much as possible for lower consumption. @Plattym3 didn't think it hindered him much at all.

• Like 3

Currently finishing up DQXI, and just starting on DQVI DS, about 3 hours in.

I had no idea Grandia Parallel Trippers ever got a translation patch. I'm going to have to check that out. Think it's worth replaying Grandia first? It's been a solid 15 years since I touched the game.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Vyse of Arcadia said:

I had no idea Grandia Parallel Trippers ever got a translation patch. I'm going to have to check that out. Think it's worth replaying Grandia first? It's been a solid 15 years since I touched the game.

I can always suggest re-playing Grandia. It's one of THE best PS1 RPGs.

So I started playing Illusion of Gaia on Saturday. I looked at the Nintendo Power guide that it comes with since I got a complete in box copy, and I'm roughly 1/3rd of the way through the game. I am immensely enjoying the game so far. The sprite work is peak SNES design. The soundtrack for the game so far has been amazing. The translation is pure 90s era translation so I love it on the quirks of that.

It has been a great coming of age story so far as Will travels the continents trying to search for his lost father. The puzzles in each new area are fun and not frustrating to figure out. I love being able to transform into the Knight Freedan, though I am not quite sure who he is or why Will can transform into him.

Also, that save room is beautiful. I love just standing around in it. The cosmic background with the ominous music that plays really is the best. Once you save the game in there and quit your journey, it stays on that screen and begins to play the Melody of Memory which is really apt. Sometimes I'll leave it on for a few minutes after I finish just so I can take it in.

This was a game I wanted to get when I was a kid and I never got a copy, and I rarely ever see copies locally, which is how I generally look for older used games. I've seen one copy on the last 5+ years and it got sold out from under me. I definitely needed this game right now though, I think.

4 hours ago, Prince of Cannock said:

Currently playing Saga Frontier Remastered, and it’s really good. I should be able to get the platinum before Legend of Mana comes out. I’m really excited about that game, btw.

I’m looking forward to Legend of Mana Remastered too. Never played the original, but after watching an in-depth video about the game a while ago (and because I’m glad to see Square Enix remastering games like this from an era I missed out on) I’m definitely looking forward to the game. I don’t think I’ll get it at launch like I did SaGa Frontier Remastered, but we’ll see. Guess it depends on how much I have finished with other games in limbo.

• Like 3
I HATE replaying games. But the Grandia series is a top 3 for me. I've replayed 1 and 2 on the Switch and reloved them both! Yeah, in researching for a Grandia podcast last year I discovered the GBC game and patch. Decently fun!
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Woodus said:

Good to hear. I think I’ll wait till I have a little vacation or something to get it started. That way I’ve got time to figure out the mechanics without any stress. 

Not too much to report on my three fronts of current RPGs. I did finally write a little Cyber Sleuth review too, so I can put Digimon out of my mind for the time being.

• Like 1

Took a break for the other stuff I was on and now playing the 3DS port of Inazuma Eleven. I picked the NA release, which was a bad choice since this dub is honestly horrendous.

Also got interested in that SaGa stuff with all the talk about it,might try the DS game that got a translation patch,if that's any good.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m looking forward to Legend of Mana Remastered too. Never played the original, but after watching an in-depth video about the game a while ago (and because I’m glad to see Square Enix remastering games like this from an era I missed out on) I’m definitely looking forward to the game. I don’t think I’ll get it at launch like I did SaGa Frontier Remastered, but we’ll see. Guess it depends on how much I have finished with other games in limbo.

Legend of Mana is an amazing game. I can't tell you how excited I am for the remaster. It's definitely worth playing. I kinda want to discourage you looking into it any more. There's so much magic to be had from a blind playthrough.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Vyse of Arcadia said:

Legend of Mana is an amazing game. I can't tell you how excited I am for the remaster. It's definitely worth playing. I kinda want to discourage you looking into it any more. There's so much magic to be had from a blind playthrough.

I’m not planning to. The video I watched gave me enough info to know I would like it. I probably won’t remember all the details from that video anyway by the time the game comes out/whenever I play it haha.

What I did watch gave me a SaGa-esque vibe, which I’m all for since I’ve really been enjoying that franchise over the last year and a half.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Good to hear. I think I’ll wait till I have a little vacation or something to get it started. That way I’ve got time to figure out the mechanics without any stress. 

Not too much to report on my three fronts of current RPGs. I did finally write a little Cyber Sleuth review too, so I can put Digimon out of my mind for the time being.

I purchased the first two PS4 Digimon games for the SO, but I am mildly interested in trying them out. I watched her play through the first area in Cyber Sleuth.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Bururian said:

I purchased the first two PS4 Digimon games for the SO, but I am mildly interested in trying them out. I watched her play through the first area in Cyber Sleuth.

Definitely worth it, especially if you’ve already got the game available.

Currently playing Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch, if you count that as an action RPG. Have about 52 or so hours so far and enjoying it a lot. Also been going back to play the original Dragon Warrior Monsters.

• Like 2

Got the Valkyrie Asterisk in Bravely Default and completed a Dungeon that was more difficult than the last few. Then at the end, the boss fight wasn’t really a boss fight, which a good thing because I’m fairly certain I would’ve gotten my butt handed to me.

On the DQ II front, things are good. I got the whole party together and got a Windbraker. I don’t always know where to go, but the map is small enough I can usually figure it out via exploration. Also, I have yet to kill a metal slime before it gets the chance to run.

• Like 1