What RPG's are you currently playing?

Yakuza has been putting me to sleep and getting me annoyed at my family who monopolizes the PS4 TV so I wanted to get back to something on the Switch.

Decided to start up Final Fantasy 9 for the first time ever. Got an hour in, played a lot of cards. This should be interesting, I've listened to so many podcasts about this over the years, little bits and pieces out there seem familiar although I've never so much as touched this.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Posted Images

Kind of blown away at how easy the final boss in Persona 5 Strikers is. What made some of the previous bosses tricky was how they would constantly be in motion, but this particular boss is totally stationary and is a massive target. My party just wailed on it the whole time. It doesn’t even deliver any particularly rough attacks if you happen to get hit by them. Honestly, the hardest part was the second stage, where you have to split your team up and send them to fight a small group of mini-bosses (with much less health than the average miniboss to keep it fair). The trouble with this was that you don’t know their strengths and weaknesses before dividing your party, so you’re at rick of not having a type advantage against some of them, which is what happened to me for the most part. I actually almost lost at this section!

Otherwise, it was a good game. I might do a bunch of post game to prep for an attempt at NG+ on Merciless. I heard there’s a way to make a totally busted Persona with max stats and it’d be fun to try that out.

• Like 1
Kind of blown away at how easy the final boss in Persona 5 Strikers is. What made some of the previous bosses tricky was how they would constantly be in motion, but this particular boss is totally stationary and is a massive target. My party just wailed on it the whole time. It doesn’t even deliver any particularly rough attacks if you happen to get hit by them. Honestly, the hardest part was the second stage, where you have to split your team up and send them to fight a small group of mini-bosses (with much less health than the average miniboss to keep it fair). The trouble with this was that you don’t know their strengths and weaknesses before dividing your party, so you’re at rick of not having a type advantage against some of them, which is what happened to me for the most part. I actually almost lost at this section!
Otherwise, it was a good game. I might do a bunch of post game to prep for an attempt at NG+ on Merciless. I heard there’s a way to make a totally busted Persona with max stats and it’d be fun to try that out.
Nice! What was your completion time?
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
14 hours ago, eal said:

Nice! What was your completion time?

I beat it in exactly 43 hours. I did a healthy number of side quests (called Requests in this game) and very little level grinding. I think about 10 of those hours was just working my way through the first Jail lol.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Slowly taking down a powerful group of Digimon called the Royal knights in Digimon Cybersleuth. Tons of leveling and Digivolving going on as I progress.

NNK - Completed the main plot portion in the Steampunk town called Hamelin. Fun little plot twist, though they do make it kinda obvious. (NNK players will know what I’m talking about)

And in Bravely Default, looks like I’ve got another Side plot to knock out before clearing out of Ancheim for the time being. I do believe having activated the Wind Crystal, main plot is caught up.

Edited by cprmauldin
  • Like 1

Strange of Sword City Revisited: Been playing this one on and off. I’ve had to get reused to some of the mechanics, but the game has been clicking with me again. Currently at the first of three dungeons, the Mausoleum of the Forest, you get to choose between to explore.  I forgot this was when the game introduced enemies that are strong to physical damage, so I rearranged my party and brought along a Wizard to help deal with them. Nice thing is that non-active party members can still earn exp and level up, so that’s helpful for team switching.

Bravely Default - Spell Fencer and Time Mage Asterisks obtained!

NNK - Got a dragon to ride!

Digimon Cybersleuth - Holy Smokes. Turns out a major human NPC was a Digimon in Disguise!

I just completed my first playthrough with Dark Souls 2.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up to the original. While I ranted about agility before, the surprise moments just seemed to stop happening. The level design was uninspiring and boring. The bosses were mostly dead easy. The difficulty mostly came from a select few bosses or some stupid enemy gauntlets.

The DLC is top tier. I just wish the entire game had this good level design and bosses. Especially with the ice area's final boss. That was probably my favorite fight in the entire game. The DLC was easily the best moments of the game. Also, dual wielding with power stand is really fun. Two greatswords all day.

The last bosses? What a joke. Including the "DLC" boss at the end. I managed to do the entire gauntlet of bosses on my first attempt. The game ended on a bad note. It just summarized my experience with the game. It makes me sad too. The ideas and mechanics with the bosses are pretty good, just a lot of them were poorly executed.

It is also nice that NG+ starts when you go to the bonfire. So you can keep playing after the final boss. Been doing some covenant grinding and having fun helping players and PvPing.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I just completed my first playthrough with Dark Souls 2.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up to the original. While I ranted about agility before, the surprise moments just seemed to stop happening. The level design was uninspiring and boring. The bosses were mostly dead easy. The difficulty mostly came from a select few bosses or some stupid enemy gauntlets.

The DLC is top tier. I just wish the entire game had this good level design and bosses. Especially with the ice area's final boss. That was probably my favorite fight in the entire game. The DLC was easily the best moments of the game. Also, dual wielding with power stand is really fun. Two greatswords all day.

The last bosses? What a joke. Including the "DLC" boss at the end. I managed to do the entire gauntlet of bosses on my first attempt. The game ended on a bad note. It just summarized my experience with the game. It makes me sad too. The ideas and mechanics with the bosses are pretty good, just a lot of them were poorly executed.

It is also nice that NG+ starts when you go to the bonfire. So you can keep playing after the final boss. Been doing some covenant grinding and having fun helping players and PvPing.

This explains some of what happened with Dark Souls 2. 

Dark Souls 2 is a very mixed bag of a game. Good ideas, but some poor execution due to changing leads.

• Like 1
Fell down the DQM2 hole.
So much for your race with Yangus

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
So much for your race with Yangus

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Our races are mainly like the tortoise and the hare. We take turns playing our roles. Sometimes we're both tortoises.
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Our races are mainly like the tortoise and the hare. We take turns playing our roles. Sometimes we're both tortoises. emoji23.png

Sounds like you’re both in a Hiatus though. At least you each beat one of the games. 

If you were working as a team, the race would be won!

But you’re not so......

• Like 1
Sounds like you’re both in a Hiatus though. At least you each beat one of the games. 

But you’re not so......
I put in for a couple days off next week. Usually my days off are taken because one of the kids is sick or on a field trip or something the whole family is doing, but next week I'm taking just two days off for me, nobody else will be home. Maybe one of those days I can make a couple chapter dent in Yakuza.
  • Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 4/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, cprmauldin said:

But you’re not so......

I put in for a couple days off next week. Usually my days off are taken because one of the kids is sick or on a field trip or something the whole family is doing, but next week I'm taking just two days off for me, nobody else will be home. Maybe one of those days I can make a couple chapter dent in Yakuza.

Woah! Now that’s self-care. Last time I did that was when DQ XI came out, though I think I only took a day.

That being said, my days off rotate now so every few weeks I get a day or two during which everyone is away and I can have some me-time. 

• Like 1

I'm playing Golden Sun due to a friend recommending it, kind of a garbage game IMO but I do like the graphics so I don't mind sinking an hour or so inbetween playing DQ8 and working

• Like 1
I'm playing Golden Sun due to a friend recommending it, kind of a garbage game IMO but I do like the graphics so I don't mind sinking an hour or so inbetween playing DQ8 and working
Which Golden Sun are we talking here? One of the first 2 on GBA or the DS one?
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

emoji51.png Which Golden Sun are we talking here? One of the first 2 on GBA or the DS one?

The first GBA one

• Like 1
The first GBA one
Darn, that's a shame. Those 2 games were my GBA highlight. No worries, don't force it, we all don't love the same games.
14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
23 minutes ago, Pedro said:
The first GBA one

Darn, that's a shame. Those 2 games were my GBA highlight. No worries, don't force it, we all don't love the same games.

There are aspects of it that are fun, but there a bunch of tiny annoyances that pile up. The biggest one is kind of my fault,but I don't like how sometimes a character goes "oh you gotta go to [town name] to progress the story! go! it's really important!" and being kind of a slow person, I need to read the line again in order to understand what to do. And then they never tell me where to go again so I just have to pull up a guide :P

• Like 1
There are aspects of it that are fun, but there a bunch of tiny annoyances that pile up. The biggest one is kind of my fault,but I don't like how sometimes a character goes "oh you gotta go to [town name] to progress the story! go! it's really important!" and being kind of a slow person, I need to read the line again in order to understand what to do. And then they never tell me where to go again so I just have to pull up a guide 
I get it. While I do like old games, I love modern conveniences like flags on where to go for story and side quests!
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Pedro said:

The first GBA one

I was legitimately just looking at it on EBay. I think I’ll end up buying a repro on the cheap. Either that, Breath of Fire, or one of the GBA Fire Emblem games.

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

There are aspects of it that are fun, but there a bunch of tiny annoyances that pile up. The biggest one is kind of my fault,but I don't like how sometimes a character goes "oh you gotta go to [town name] to progress the story! go! it's really important!" and being kind of a slow person, I need to read the line again in order to understand what to do. And then they never tell me where to go again so I just have to pull up a guide :P

Omg! Totally one of my pet peeves lol. Though, like platty said, perhaps I’ve just been spoiled by modern convenience.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I was legitimately just looking at it on EBay. I think I’ll end up buying a repro on the cheap. Either that, Breath of Fire, or one of the GBA Fire Emblem games.

Omg! Totally one of my pet peeves lol. Though, like platty said, perhaps I’ve just been spoiled by modern convenience.

oh yeah,GBA Fire Emblems are so good,7 is my personal favorite from those but 8 is cool too. Though if you go on the emulation route there are a ton of good hacks and almost entirely new games as well.

I haven't dabbled much in Breath of Fire,I should get to the SNES versions eventually since they're on NSO

To my surprise I was able to start up SaGa Frontier Remastered tonight! Hooray! Got started on Blue’s story and have acquired Light magic for him. I’ve mainly been exploring towns and seeing what there is to see, and I’ve gotten some hints on where to go and what to find for the next gift of magic Blue is seeking.

So far, this game looks and plays great. The graphics look really nice and give me that 90s feel that I enjoyed in games like Soul Hackers, all the new features they’ve added for quality of life are nice (and I appreciate you can toggle them on and off too) and I like that you get a travel log to help keep you updated on what you need to do next or where you should try going. This was something I was liking in the other SaGa remakes I’ve played too, and I’m glad they’ve done that with Frontier Remastered and made it even better.

Looking forward to playing more! Glad the game is finally here and I’m looking forward to experiencing it more and more.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
22 hours ago, Pedro said:

oh yeah,GBA Fire Emblems are so good,7 is my personal favorite from those but 8 is cool too. Though if you go on the emulation route there are a ton of good hacks and almost entirely new games as well.

I haven't dabbled much in Breath of Fire,I should get to the SNES versions eventually since they're on NSO

I’m looking strictly at carts. I don’t mind repro carts though. What do you think of The Sacred Stones? That one seems fairly accessible to me.