What RPG's are you currently playing?

cprmauldin

Sat down with NNK remastered for a while after a week or so of hiatus. It’s slow going since I try to do as many side quests and bounties as possible as the game proceeds. I’ve got a ship now though so we shall see what further adventures it brings.

Bravely Default has only gotten two hours of attention so far and I have no complaints. I got my third party member and did some grinding to get him up to snuff. Now I’ll proceed into the next dungeon.

Of the three games I’ve got going, I’d definitely say I’m most enthralled by Digimon Cybersleuth. At about 60 hours in, I still feel excited every time I fire the game up. The complexities of getting to the highest Digivolution desired are a little more challenging than I thought, and also require de-digivolving in a lot of cases. The challenge of the game has also continued to spike which I don’t mind since it was pretty smooth sailing up till now. I really look forward to writing a review of this game when I’m all done, but I don’t foresee that time being terribly soon. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Of the three games I’ve got going, I’d definitely say I’m most enthralled by Digimon Cybersleuth. At about 60 hours in, I still feel excited every time I fire the game up. The complexities of getting to the highest Digivolution desired are a little more challenging than I thought, and also require de-digivolving in a lot of cases. The challenge of the game has also continued to spike which I don’t mind since it was pretty smooth sailing up till now. I really look forward to writing a review of this game when I’m all done, but I don’t foresee that time being terribly soon. 

My SO played that game, and I really enjoyed watching her play. I was never into Digimon so getting to watch someone else play one of these games was actually pretty fun :)

Last night I filled out my white board with "Backlog games I wanna play".

It ended up being nothing but PS1/PS2 JRPGs :laugh:

Once I get through Grandia I'm gonna roll through the other three Grandia games. Then do the Lunar games that are on the PS1.

Others include stuff like Thousand Arms, Arc the Lad, Legaia, King's Field, and Alundra. I've heard that Ephemeral Phantasia isn't that great of a game, but I'm intrigued enough by it and I got a disc of the game for $11 so I may as well take a swing at it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bururian said:

My SO played that game, and I really enjoyed watching her play. I was never into Digimon so getting to watch someone else play one of these games was actually pretty fun :)

Once I get through Grandia I'm gonna roll through the other three Grandia games. Then do the Lunar games that are on the PS1.

Others include stuff like Thousand Arms, Arc the Lad, Legaia, King's Field, and Alundra. I've heard that Ephemeral Phantasia isn't that great of a game, but I'm intrigued enough by it and I got a disc of the game for $11 so I may as well take a swing at it.

Oh yeah, I’d never do much looked at Digimon, in any form, until I started Cybersleuth. Now I have to go back and see what other Digimon games I want to play!

Ive heard Kings field is quite challenging! Have you played before?

5 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Ive heard Kings field is quite challenging! Have you played before?

I started up the first one for the PS1 the other day. First time ever! I died within a few minutes to a boss character that is near the start point. I'd say that's pretty brutal in and of itself.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I started up the first one for the PS1 the other day. First time ever! I died within a few minutes to a boss character that is near the start point. I'd say that's pretty brutal in and of itself.

Ah, King’s Field. The Dark Souls game before Dark Souls existed.

Dark Souls has a lot of references to King’s Field actually, as do other From Software games. Most notable is the Moonlight Greatsword making an appearance in many FS games in one form or another.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ah, King’s Field. The Dark Souls game before Dark Souls existed.

Dark Souls has a lot of references to King’s Field actually, as do other From Software games. Most notable is the Moonlight Greatsword making an appearance in many FS games in one form or another.

Wait.

I should have know this. I'm sure I did, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Of course. It's from 'From Software'

:laugh:

• Like 1

Shameless plug for Dark Cloud while we’re talking PS2 games 😋

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Dark Souls
Dark Cloud

It's all relative!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluestar said:

Unshameless plug for BOTH Dark Clouds!

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

Well, that's another 2 years without a Switch.  Those Grandia games are amazing.  I wish I had a way to play 3 and Xtreme on a modern console.

I really do want to try the Lunar games!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I really do want to try the Lunar games!

IF (and that's a big IF) you are able to deal with mobile, they ported Lunar: Silver Star Story to phones. It also supports bluetooth controllers. It's only $6.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this to you before though. Just a reminder!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bururian said:

IF (and that's a big IF) you are able to deal with mobile, they ported Lunar: Silver Star Story to phones. It also supports bluetooth controllers. It's only $6.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this to you before though. Just a reminder!

You did.  I threw up in my mouth a bit and filed that away for future reference.  I'll likely just play the PS1 version on my Vita.  Or that PSP Silver Star Story one.

Vita is life.

Mobile is morbid.

• Like 1

When I do get around to playing it, I will be playing the PS1 version myself.

I like playing it at my little CRT station I have set-up. Grandia 1 has been a blast that way so far.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, Plattym3 said:

Mobile is morbid.

So true. Which sucks because I want to play Tact. But I refuse to play games on my phone.

23 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

So true. Which sucks because I want to play Tact. But I refuse to play games on my phone.

You could always download an emulator and play it that way!

Been playing around with Torneko Mystery Dungeon games in advance of a new podcast this weekend. Waiting patiently for BD2.

I'm halfway through Grandia 1 now.

I haven't decided if I want to jump into the second game right away or play a shorter RPG in between them. I did just get a nearly complete copy of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete this past weekend, and Howlongtobeat says The game is under 30 hours. Do I play that between Grandia or do I keep going at it hard? 🤔

Octopath Traveler: Finished most of the chapter 3 stories now. Working on Primrose’s chapter 3 now and H’aanit’s will be last. I’m surprised I haven’t found any other job classes since it seems like there will be more available, but it could be that you can’t unlock them until you travel to the chapter 4 areas.

Romancing SaGa 3: I’ve actually made some progress with this game again. I was stuck not really knowing where to go to help open more areas, but I decided to brave it through the Naj Desert in the east and was able to get through it and the Desert of Death that followed it. From there, you enter the Great Plains and have to help the people in the east.

This part was similar to what Romancing SaGa 2 did: the eastern most towns/territories had an Asian culture to them. After helping the two towns with their respective problems (one of which had a really annoying boss since he kept summoning lackies to prevent you from targeting him), I’m able to freely travel between the eastern and western parts of the world again.

But most important, the good people of the east told me about Rashkuta, home of the elephant people! Helped out one of the citizens named Ruhk and he offered to join the party! Mr. Elephant Man has a whopping 36 Life Points, so he’s become the tank of my party. It helps I just got a martial arts skill that lets the user heal themself for free, so slapping some good armor and status preventing accessories on Ruhk and he’s now ready to tank damage and keep himself healthy.

Going to explore the old ruins near Rashkuta in the Rotten Sea. Apparently it’s where the elephant people lived before being cursed into...well, elephants, so hopefully going to that dungeon will lead to something.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:24 AM, Bluestar said:

You could always download an emulator and play it that way!

Yeah but it’d still be all mobile-y

Lol. I know, I know. I’m just being stubborn 😉 

• Like 1

Yeah but it’d still be all mobile-y

Lol. I know, I know. I’m just being stubborn  
Ditto. I totally wrote my disdain of mobile into the intro for Slime Time 033. Twice even!

Oof.. I'm currently playing too many things. But atm I'm working on DQVIII on the 3ds, DQIX on the DS, Persona 5 Strikers on the Switch.. 

Dunno if Assassins Creed valhalla counts but it's pretty much a rpg, I'm nearly 70 hrs into that and almost done. 

• Like 1

Bloodborne - Now that I can actually use my PS4 again, I played a lot of Bloodborne this weekend. I’m definitely rusty at the game and was making a lot of dumb mistakes which costed me a lot of blood echoes a few times, but it was fun playing the game again. Gotta get used to that SoulsBorne style again but it’s been great exploring around Bloodborne again.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Since I have no idea when Bravely Default 2 is going to show up I decided to get this game installed and running on my PS4. Only played for about an hour but I’m liking the game so far. I was surprised they just flat out named dropped Dragon Quest (especially since this is a Sega game) but the main character Ichiban is pretty likeable already and I was interested in the opening flashback cutscene that starts the game.

I like the combat system. It’s very Super Mario RPG-esque with how the command prompts are laid out and how you can time button presses to help strengthen attacks and guard against enemies. Nice to see that in the settings you can disable the prompts if you don’t want to worry about them. Still just early impressions, but so far so good.

Also, really like how the English voice for Ichiban is the guy who voiced Gaius from Trails of Cold Steel. Thought Gaius had a really cool voice but just didn’t get to say much, so it’s awesome to hear his voice actor is the lead role of this Yakuza game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Branny said:

Oof.. I'm currently playing too many things. But atm I'm working on DQVIII on the 3ds, DQIX on the DS, Persona 5 Strikers on the Switch.. 

Dunno if Assassins Creed valhalla counts but it's pretty much a rpg, I'm nearly 70 hrs into that and almost done. 

I think they’ve officially started calling AC games Action RPGs. 

As for DQ VIII, did you play the original back in the day on the PS2? I always love hearing/reading different perspectives on the comparison between the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

I think they’ve officially started calling AC games Action RPGs. 

As for DQ VIII, did you play the original back in the day on the PS2? I always love hearing/reading different perspectives on the comparison between the two.

Oh yeah! I actually still have my copy of the demo disc I got from Kmarts(like walmarts) so many years ago and was so excited to play it. I remember seeing that it was out a few weeks and freaked and went to buy it and the store was all out. I was so frustrated and had to rent it till it was restocked. 

But I played the crap out of the game and loved every moment. I'm a big rpg collector and back then I was really cutting my teeth on some great titles. 

Just finished DQ8 for the first time on 3DS myself. That makes the whole series complete for me (except for the most recent expansion and a half in DQ10).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve been playing some Chrono Trigger and I’ve been trying to get into Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age