What RPG's are you currently playing?

cprmauldin

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

So...day one purchase?

Yes. Platty and I have been planning to race the game.

• Like 2

Finished the Bravely Default II Final Demo. Good lord, this game is proving to be difficult. I’ve been playing on normal difficulty and I felt like I was having troubles with regular battles. And that Beast Master asterisk boss fight...god, I’m glad status ailments like Poison were actually helpful. I’m finding that I really don’t care for the battle system changes compared to the 3DS games, and I wish they had the option to use the turn system from those games as an option.

I don’t know what to expect difficulty wise from the final game. I haven’t been enjoying difficult for the sake of it games as much as I have in the past. I’m not necessarily saying Bravely Default II is going to be like that, but I’m surprised by the standard difficulty of the Normal setting. Hopefully this is just because of this being a demo and not the full game.

Moving away from one Square Enix RPG to another, I randomly started replaying Dragon Quest XI S again. This time I’m playing in 2D mode (or rather continuing the 2D file I made months ago) and just recently started making my way to Gondolia. I’m using the two Shypox Draconian settings, and I feel like they should name this “Torneko Mode.” There have been some pretty funny Shypox affects while playing.

I’m impressed how different the maps/locations are compared to 3D mode. When I played the 3DS version I stuck to that game’s 3D mode, so I never dabbled much with the pixelated take on the world. It’s been fun seeing just how different the game is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Finished the Bravely Default II Final Demo. Good lord, this game is proving to be difficult. I’ve been playing on normal difficulty and I felt like I was having troubles with regular battles. And that Beast Master asterisk boss fight...god, I’m glad status ailments like Poison were actually helpful. I’m finding that I really don’t care for the battle system changes compared to the 3DS games, and I wish they had the option to use the turn system from those games as an option.

I don’t know what to expect difficulty wise from the final game. I haven’t been enjoying difficult for the sake of it games as much as I have in the past. I’m not necessarily saying Bravely Default II is going to be like that, but I’m surprised by the standard difficulty of the Normal setting. Hopefully this is just because of this being a demo and not the full game.

Moving away from one Square Enix RPG to another, I randomly started replaying Dragon Quest XI S again. This time I’m playing in 2D mode (or rather continuing the 2D file I made months ago) and just recently started making my way to Gondolia. I’m using the two Shypox Draconian settings, and I feel like they should name this “Torneko Mode.” There have been some pretty funny Shypox affects while playing.

I’m impressed how different the maps/locations are compared to 3D mode. When I played the 3DS version I stuck to that game’s 3D mode, so I never dabbled much with the pixelated take on the world. It’s been fun seeing just how different the game is.

I’ve heard from some that the 2D version is a little simpler in terms of finding things, etc, just due to the details being downed a bit. Have you found that to be true?

I’ve heard from some that the 2D version is a little simpler in terms of finding things, etc, just due to the details being downed a bit. Have you found that to be true?
That's how I remember 2D being.

Got in a good play session with Rune Factory Frontier & now ~9 hours into the game. Almost got my field cleared of all the junk that it starts with. Some rocks there I can't break up until I get the 3rd hammer, but for that I need silver I think. And I need that hammer to easily get to a silver mine place in the first dungeon. I've run the first dungeon a few times, but that boss is beyond me. Need to upgrade... EVERYTHING. Basically I need to get to monster raising right now. Cows, chickens, and sheep are all in the first dungeon, but I missed where to buy grass seed for a while. Got a lot planted, it's 2 days away from harvest, so I need to go catch me a couple of each so I can get making some better equipment from wool and cooking some stuff. Used a ton of stamina to clear tons of stumps, so I think I can afford my first house expansion, likely it'll be the forge. I've completely ignored the townsfolk so far. Need to go find the person who will give me a fishing rod and start fishing to get cooking ingredients too!
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:14 AM, Plattym3 said:

That's how I remember 2D being.

Got in a good play session with Rune Factory Frontier & now ~9 hours into the game. Almost got my field cleared of all the junk that it starts with. Some rocks there I can't break up until I get the 3rd hammer, but for that I need silver I think. And I need that hammer to easily get to a silver mine place in the first dungeon. I've run the first dungeon a few times, but that boss is beyond me. Need to upgrade... EVERYTHING. Basically I need to get to monster raising right now. Cows, chickens, and sheep are all in the first dungeon, but I missed where to buy grass seed for a while. Got a lot planted, it's 2 days away from harvest, so I need to go catch me a couple of each so I can get making some better equipment from wool and cooking some stuff. Used a ton of stamina to clear tons of stumps, so I think I can afford my first house expansion, likely it'll be the forge. I've completely ignored the townsfolk so far. Need to go find the person who will give me a fishing rod and start fishing to get cooking ingredients too!

Oh heck yeah, I remember fishing being the absolute easiest way to make quality food for cheap....in RF 4 anyways. I imagine it’ll be the same.

Oh heck yeah, I remember fishing being the absolute easiest way to make quality food for cheap....in RF 4 anyways. I imagine it’ll be the same.
I haven't found the damn fishing rod person yet. Time to pull up the strategy guide tonight.

Got in a solid 3 hours last night, finally explored the game menu more & got some hot keys set. Filled out my first barn with 2 cows, 2 chickens, 2 sheep, and a fire mage. Gonna go get a wolf tonight, they're usually good. Beat the first boss on the last day of Spring last night and saved on Summer 1st.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I haven't found the damn fishing rod person yet. Time to pull up the strategy guide tonight.

Got in a solid 3 hours last night, finally explored the game menu more & got some hot keys set. Filled out my first barn with 2 cows, 2 chickens, 2 sheep, and a fire mage. Gonna go get a wolf tonight, they're usually good. Beat the first boss on the last day of Spring last night and saved on Summer 1st.

Did you get your fodder growing okay? Once it gets going it’s usually set-it-and-forget-it.

Did you get your fodder growing okay? Once it gets going it’s usually set-it-and-forget-it.
Yeah, once I got over my senior moment and figured out where it was sold, I have 3 fields growing, so basically 27 fodder every other day to feed my 8 beasts. Nothing has produced items yet, but it's been all of 2 game days. I don't know if I need a milker for the cows or sheers for the sheep, it's been a while and this game definitely doesn't have the modern Rune Factory conveniences. For example, I've got a ton of fruit and grass in my fridge, but I can't cook in the kitchen with those items. I have to have the items on my person to cook with them. Same with the forge and such. Ugh, it's back to OG Rune Factory inconveniences. This came out between 2 & 3, so it's somewhat basic in features.

Triggered a story event up on the floating whale island in the sky. I've been working to clear my fields completely to build up wood. I'm good enough to build a couple big upgrades, but unfortunately there's a cash flow issue. The summer crops all take a ton of time, 8+ days, to get going. So I'm on Summer 6, thus no money for like 6-7 days now.

Been slowly collecting little runeys because I need them to fuse into a rune stone to open the 2nd elemental dungeon. Should be able to get to that tonight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

the floating whale in the sky.

There are a surprising amount of games that have flying whales in them. One I won’t say because it involves spoilers for a game in the series we’re all here for, but another that came time mind are not one, but two who appear in the Legend of Zelda series!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One I won’t say because it involves spoilers for a game in the series we’re all here for

I never knew there was a flying whale in Senran Kagura!

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There are a surprising amount of games that have flying whales in them. One I won’t say because it involves spoilers for a game in the series we’re all here for, but another that came time mind are not one, but two who appear in the Legend of Zelda series!

How very true!

I did not realize that was such a trend until this very moment.

• Like 1

It was the cooking one. Biggest sashimi dish in the post-game.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
On 2/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, eal said:

It was the cooking one. Biggest sashimi dish in the post-game.

Some of those finishers or whatever they were with the old man were pretty out there so I can believe it.

• Like 1

Just beat Pokémon Emerald at about 62.5 hours. Definitely bittersweet to be moving on from it, but I’m glad to have the slate cleared to start in on a new game.

• Like 1

I'm pulling an Anti-Platty and replaying Grandia 1 for the first time since 2008.

It was the first summer after I graduated college and the killer job market at the time kept me from finding a decent job so I was really depressed over it (This was even before the 2008 crash)

Grandia 1 was there for me!

It's time to enjoy it once again. I'm already five or so hours in and through the first few dungeons. I won't talk tooooo in depth about it because I know Twinkie is gonna be playing it here soon, but man oh man. This game is so good. It has great laughable moments.

• Like 1

NNK Remastered- Roughly 16 hours in and completing the main quest fairly slowly due to getting distracted by side-quests, bounties, and now I’ve been fooling around with the Cauldron. This game totally plays like a Level 5 game and I absolutely love it. There are quite a few moving parts but they mesh together well and I feel like I’m getting a decent grasp on the battle-system.

Digimon Cybersleuth- Closing in on 60 hours and I’m realizing I’ve gotta de-digivolve a few of my hard hitters to get their ABI up enough to hit their final forms. Luckily I’ve kept a few power-players in reserve so it shouldn’t be too tough. As of now I’m all caught up on side cases so it’s time to get back to the story.

Bravely Default- After what seems like a jillion years, I’m finally doing my first playthrough of this game. I was able to log a little over an hour today, which didn’t get me far, but I feel like I’m moving slowly enough to get a good handle on everything.

I'm pulling an Anti-Platty and replaying Grandia 1 for the first time since 2008.
It was the first summer after I graduated college and the killer job market at the time kept me from finding a decent job so I was really depressed over it (This was even before the 2008 crash)
It's time to enjoy it once again. I'm already five or so hours in and through the first few dungeons. I won't talk tooooo in depth about it because I know Twinkie is gonna be playing it here soon, but man oh man. This game is so good. It has great laughable moments.
I replayed it in 2019! You're more Platty than you think. Heck, I replayed Grandia 1, 2 and Rune Factory 4 all within a calendar year!
  • Like 1

Put another 4 hours into Rune Factory Frontier last night, bringing me up to 25 hours. Had JUST finally cleaned up my farm in the middle of summer when yet another freaking storm hit. Took me about 2 hours/2 weeks to clean it all up again. I need to maximize profits as it turns into Fall, because this is old-school, no Winter crops. Realized I should be farming a whole lot more in dungeons too, but that doesn't automate as well. Started doing it anyway. I've made zero friends in town, just taking a year to try to do a ton of money and crafting stuff.

• Like 1

With a Rune Factory Frontier victory still 40+ hours off, and 30+ hours off in Ao no Kiseki, I've decided to spend some evenings pounding out all the additional content in Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. My 2 sons are hell bent on beating the game themselves. My 4 year-old has barely let me play the story missions, only a few minutes here and there when my eldest gets mad at him for not getting over to him fast enough to provide support.

Looking it up, I found there are a total of 20 story missions and I think they've done all of 7. Twice in the past few nights I've taken the Switch and cleared out every single addition side training, opened all the extra bonuses, and grinded for money to upgrade weapons and keep everyone close to the same level (you can pay to do this). It's A WHOLE LOT! Heck, last night alone it took 3 hours to clear out all that content and I definitely had to retry a few missions. I'm learning more about the battle system than I ever think I had to for the other Hyrule Warriors. I know I'm in the vast majority, but I don't like the art style of main cast in the cut scenes at all. I guess it's what Breath of the Wild was like, but it looks washed out and Bleh. Minor complaint though, as 98% of the game is spent in furious battles.

Really like the 3 games I have going on now!

• Like 1

Picked up Octopath Traveler again since I can play it handheld mode again without controller issues. Been dealing with drift on my left joy con so I’ve geared away from menu based games because the drift can totally screw up command inputs. Long story short, got a new joy con with a proper d-pad thanks to Platty, and I’m happy I can play in handheld mode comfortably again.

Anyway, I’ve completed Alfyn and Olberic’s Chapter 3. I feel bad for poor Alfyn since he’s had to learn the hard way about who he should and shouldn’t trust, while I was glad to see Olberic found some closure to his troubled past and will now be going after the one behind the downfall of his kingdom. I’m surprised Olberic’s final boss isn’t the man you’ve been chasing after the whole time, but at the same time I’m glad Olberic didn’t have to do something drastic for his storyline. He’s never struck me as the type of character who would kill for revenge.

Going to do Therion’s chapter 3 next since his takes place in the same town as Olberic’s, then it’s off to work on some more of the chapter 3 routes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Really like the 3 games I have going on now!

That’s awesome! I remember a little while ago you felt like you were in a gaming funk so it’s nice to hear you’re on a roll again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Been dealing with drift on my left joy con

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08397JQZG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I used this exact replacement to fix my joycon. It's very easy, took less than 10 minutes start to finish. If you don't have the tools cheap kits are available on Amazon.

Nothing wrong with having backups.

Edited by GrandAlchemist
  • Like 2

Therion’s chapter 3 was pretty good in Octopath. Seeing what led to Therion to his current position, I can’t believe he survived that fall he had in his past. I’m sure it’s thanks to RPG logic he’s fine, but man. That flashback cutscene was giving me some Mother 3 vibes, mainly because of the environment.

I’m really enjoying the battle system more and more. It’s been fun whenever I have played the game, but I’m realizing some more of the tricks you can do with the job classes and, more importantly, the passive skills you can get from them. Olberic is still my heavy hitter since he’s my main character, but I’ve had times where the likes of Alfyn, H’aanit, and even Tressa have been able to lay a good smack down on ememies. The battle system has made boss battles especially fun.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 2/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, Bururian said:

I replayed it in 2019! You're more Platty than you think. Heck, I replayed Grandia 1, 2 and Rune Factory 4 all within a calendar year!

What! My world is shattered!

• Like 1