What RPG's are you currently playing?

Currently giving SaGa: Scarlet Graces a go. It's a very different thing, but not actually that different.

I haven't played a SaGa game in a while so I'm looking forward to where this game will take me.

Also just bought Lunar: Silver Star Story on iOS since it was only $7. Always wanted to play it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

I've been playing Pokemon Gold and Crystal. A couple days ago, I ran across a guy selling a Slowpoke Tail for 1,000,000 poke before a cave. Inside, there's a hiker who says "I bought a Slowpoke tail. Now I feel bad for the little guy." Which raises the question: Did this random hiker actually pay that outrageous price?!

Anyway, I'm working on a poster now

Advertisement.jpg

Edited by Wes
Currently, playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Re:Reckoning on ps4. I’ve just beat the main storyline on hard after 33 hours. I’m going to start the faction quests, next.
Kurt Schilling & Rhode Island did good?
On 1/1/2021 at 5:14 PM, Prince of Cannock said:

Currently, playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Re:Reckoning on ps4. I’ve just beat the main storyline on hard after 33 hours. I’m going to start the faction quests, next.

Your post prompted me to price check Amazon and I’m happy to see it’s down to $25. It’s not a matter of If I’ll pick the game up, it’s when. 

I originally played on the 360 and loved it. 

I tried to give Boot Hill Heroes a chance. It tried to piss me off. Gave it 2 days, maybe 3 or 4 hours, but it was far too annoying. And then I am in a cave with a gigantic encounter rate spike. And I dislike the battle system. Nope!

Back to what I love, and man it hasn't disappointed.

Started up Ao no Kiseki and found I had the horrible Google Translate version of the game. Looked around, got a better translation. Oh my, be still my beating heart! Game drops you into a mission close to Zero's final dungeon, but instead of my normal crew of 4, I've got the 3 best guest characters from Zero. Made short work of the dungeon and boss. AND THEN THE HERO OF TRAILS IN THE SKY 3 WALKED IN. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I'm hooked. I'm hooked good.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Made short work of the dungeon and boss. AND THEN THE HERO OF TRAILS IN THE SKY 3 WALKED IN. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

spacer.png

Started up SaGa 2/Final Fantasy Legend 2. Man, talk about a big graphical improvement from the first game. The world map is much more detailed, as are towns. The UI and menu design is a lot closer to what would be the layout for other SaGa games like Romancing SaGa 2, you have dedicated icons to clearly distinguish weapon types...lots of improvements to the first game, and I can see how this game was what helped set a standard for the series going forward.

Anyway, game is light on story like the first one but you have a Dragon Quest III type of opening from the SNES and GBC versions: you get to see your character’s dad, he tells you a bit about what he’s off to do, gives you a gift, then years go by and you set off for your own adventure. You get to make a party from different character races, this time with the newly added Robots as an option! And hey, the first guest star party member is a character I actually recognize: it’s the yellow cyclops monster you could get back during the 30th anniversary celebration in SaGa Universe. He’s said several lines that his SaGa Universe equivalent says in the plaza, so cool beans.

Still early on, but I’m liking what I’m seeing/playing. Feels like this game took what worked with the first one and improved upon it.

• Like 2

I managed to defeat several bosses in Dark Souls 2 this past weekend. The Ruin Sentinel fight was a pain, and got frustrated but managed to complete it. Right after that I got to the Gargoyle fight, which was easily the worst boss in the game so far. Two multi-boss encounters back to back. I REALLY hope that this isn't going to be a trend with this game. I am not a fan of multi-boss encounters. Defeated the Lost Sinner. Not a bad fight, but I felt like I cheesed it with the NPC summons.

Got a good taste of PvP. As expected, I got destroyed. The first encounter I had I whiffed my sword swing as he healed up, and destroyed me. Was laughing to hard on how badly I missed to even get upset over it. Not a bad experience so far.

In terms of the level design, I am enjoying it. Exploring feels on par in this game. Though I can see why many where not a fan of it with the lack of interconnectivity of areas that Dark Souls offered. It feels a bit strange on the linear paths this game has.

Now that I got my Agility to 100, I am enjoying the fact that I can finally build the character the way I want. So thankfully I don't have to really worry about agility at this point. But at least Adaptability gives you resistances. So it lessens the sting of dumping points into it.

So far its enjoyable. But the flaws are really starting sink into me now that I have gotten into it.

Edited by Twinkie

Took a week off of gaming, but put a bunch of time into Ao no Kiseki last night/this morning. After how amazing Zero was, might as well just do the duology! Excellent bridge game battle-system-wise to the Cold Steel series. I'm only 6 hours & 1 "day" into the game. I will say I do usually enjoy starting games over again and the low-level parts, but man, I miss all the buffs I had and the mobility in combat my characters had at the end of Zero, and they're so stiff right now. Haha, gotta get some grind in!

Game-time this weekend was somewhat limited, probably two hours each into Pokémon and Digimon, respectively. Hoping to get some more time via short sessions during the work week. 

No time with NNK, unfortunately. I need to get back to it soon before I forget how to play.

• Like 1

Picked up Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition again. Didn’t realize it had been since August since i last played the game. Seems like it wasn’t months ago since I played. Just found out a lot of story info for the two titans in the game. Can’t really say much more than that cause spoilers, but it’s another point in the game that made me go, “Whoa, that’s actually really cool,” and makes me want to see what’s next.

Seems like the side quest number is dwindling thankfully, so it should be easier to stick with the game to the end.

• Like 2

Follow up to earlier: Wow, the enemy difficulty has really jumped in the area I’m at. I’ve been using the Expert Mode setting so I can customize character levels whenever I want to, but even maxing everyone out right now (currently the highest level is 68 for a few party members) I’m still struggling against some of the enemies. I either need to see if I can get a few more levels around this area or just focus on the available side quests to get some extra exp and money. Maybe do some of both.

I must be getting close to the end of regular enemies are starting to get this difficult. It seems like the game is getting close to wrapping up.

My opinion on Dark Souls 2 is starting to cement. The original Dark Souls is indeed a better game over the sequel. Even after getting my stats to a more desirable point, the game hasn't picked up as much as I hoped. I arrived at Earthen Peak, and got to the what I assume is the final boss for the area. However, what you have to do before that fight to make it easier was pretty damn cryptic. If it wasn't for player messages, I would never figured it out. So the fact that the game threw one pretty cryptic thing in the game annoys me. Especially for an area that is really difficult. I don't mind the level design in itself and the difficulty behind the areas. But when you start adding cryptic stuff like that in the game, it just sours my enjoyment. I am hoping that I somehow missed or forgot an important clue that was supposed to say something about it.

The boss fights have been dumb easy so far. I found enemies easy to deal with in Dark Souls, and the bosses to be difficult. Dark Souls 2 seems to have reversed it. I LOVE a good difficult boss fight, but so far the only fight that I struggled with was Ruin Sentinels. That fight wasn't difficult in a good way either. Though I will say that The Skeleton Lords fight was really good. It was easy, but I had a lot of fun with that fight. Easily my favorite encounter in the game so far.

I also been chewing away at Rogue Galaxy when I feel like it. I managed to complete the game, but now I am just grinding for the Platinum Trophy. I will make a post about my thoughts on the game when I get done with it.

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I also been chewing away at Rogue Galaxy when I feel like it. I managed to complete the game, but now I am just grinding for the Platinum Trophy. I will make a post about my thoughts on the game when I get done with it.

I am looking forward to your overall impressions. Especially this long after the release, I’d like to hear how you think the game has aged.

2021 has been a kinda slump with gaming. A mix of a bunch of things, I think I've somehow only played 4 days of these first 17. Somehow got up to 15-16 hours in Ao no Kiseki and still loving it.

Pokémon Emerald - I’ve accessed Victory Road. But I’ve got to catch up on some grinding, exploring, and match calls before I head in. 

Digimon Cybersleuth - Chapter 13 or 14. There are Digimon everywhere and the world is beginning to look post-apocalyptic. In the mean-time, I’m still taking on some silly cases and having loads of fun. I had one case that the difficulty went through the roof and I had to use all of my reserves and a number of items to win the battle. It was awesome to see the difficulty spike. 

Ni No Kuni - Nothing new to report. Hoping to get a short session or two in, in the coming days.

• Like 1

Been playing Xenoblade Chronicles on and off today. Finished off all the side quests available in the current town I’m at (no naming cause spoilers 🤫) and have gotten the party up to level 70. Finally not getting my butt handed to me by the monsters in said area is nice, and I’ve been working on improving team synergy chain attacks. Seems like I’ll be able to tackle the next major story boss once I get back to the game, so...I’m kind of nervous as to what’s coming next with said boss! I’m not sure what party set up I should go for! Could be a case of needing to reload and try again.

Man, I hope this doesn’t end up being a case like 10 years ago where I got totally stuck on a boss.

Rogue Galaxy is finally complete. This game took me a lot longer then I anticipated. I clocked in at about 105 hours to do the things I wanted and to get the platinum trophy. I have a good amount to say about this game, but I will say that my experience was positive for the most part.

The story for the most part was serviceable. I wasn't expecting anything mind blowing going into the game, but I was never bored or displeased with it. A complaint I have was towards the end when the final setting is just kind of thrown onto you with poor transaction into the final steps in the game. At least that is how it felt for me. The only other complaint I have with the story related content was the Libra King dungeon as a whole. I love a good long dungeon, but that dungeon took way too long. It was more suited for the final dungeon or post game dungeon. Not a dungeon you go through towards the end of the mid-point of the game. It took me less time to go through the 100 floor post game dungeon then it took to get through that entire place. Out of all the story arcs, the first time you go to Vedan was the best. Absolutely loved it. What really carried the story was the characters. I really ended up liking all the characters that joined the party. Especially Zegram.

As for the gameplay itself, I am still feeling a bit mixed on it. Most random encounters were easy, and could just simply be beaten with a single AoE attack. This made the random encounters way too easy and didn't offer much of a challenge. The only times that they were somewhat difficult was when you had to do a specific thing to destroy a barrier, break shield, or jump to exploit the monster. But with how the game got me into spamming AoEs, these ended up being more of an annoyance then a welcomed challenge. The AoE spam is a double edged sword. I really don't like grinding in ARPGs that much. So on one hand, it made the grinding a lot easier on me. On the other hand, it trivialized a lot of the challenge this game could have offered. Which is the reason why I am mixed on it.

Character progression was fine. The Revelation system requires going into the menu a lot in order to upgrade characters, so it could get annoying to some players. I don't mind micromanagement as long as it has good menus. So it didn't bother me one bit. The weapon fusion system was fine as well, though there really wasn't much for it. I still don't understand the point of the Frog Log. I ended up getting 100 analyzed and 50 crafted for the outfit. While I liked the outfit, I really don't think it was worth all the tracking I had to do for it. What is the point on trying to track down specific weapon fusions? The game always gives you a higher level weapon if you fuse two weapons within some levels between them. So there is no point to it, and just felt like it was thrown in. It can be easily ignored.

The side content was good. I really enjoyed the Quarries and tackling them down. Going out of the way for challenges to get the hunter coins was a nice distraction every so often. Though I think the highlight out of all of the side content was the Insectron stuff. I had a lot of fun gathering, breeding, and leveling them up to get a good team going. Though the special abilities that some of them give you just flat out breaks the game and makes it easy if you get a good team comp going. Even though I didn't like how you had to navigate to feed the insects and manage them, I enjoyed the time I took to go out of my way for it. While I know that the factory stuff turned away a lot of people, I actually enjoyed it. The puzzles themselves were easy once you got the hang of it, but they were a nice side distraction when I did them. Outside of the Insectron content, I had the most fun with the factory. Luckily it can be skipped by players and not really give you any problems for ignoring that content.

The post game content was pretty good. The Ghost Ship and Ghost Ship Extreme was enjoyable. Though I really don't have much else to say about it. Outside of the fact that the final post-game boss was too easy.

Overall I enjoyed the game. Despite the flaws with the combat, I still had a good amount of fun. If I was to ever play through the game again, I would probably be ignoring most of the side content for how much time it can take up. If this game had more fluid jumping, and rebalanced the entire combat and AoE I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Even after thinking about the combat for a while, I still really don't know if I really like or dislike it.

That being said, I have finally played all the Level-5 games on the PS2. Hopefully I can go back to Dark Cloud 2 and fully beat that game. Hopefully later this year sometime.

• Like 1

So...Xenoblade Chronicles continues to make me go, “Wait, WHAT?!” with the story. I was able to beat the boss I was worried about (though it did take a retry because of the movement AI for my party members being stupid and getting stuck, thanks games) and then the story has some big moments that took everything in a crazy direction. To keep it short, I was surprised by the revelations of the Monado and the Bionis and the point of certain NPCs. The NPCs I had a hunch about with how the game shows them off at different times, but the story reveals and cutscenes...holy crap.

I’ll admit said story bits do seem very RPG-ish with the surprises, but I’m liking the delivery of them, which I feel is the important part. It’s kept me invested and thinking about what’s coming next. Now all I can wonder is where the game will have me go to next area wise.

On a separate note, I really don’t care for the difficulty increase at the end of the game. I was enjoying using Expert mode to tailor the difficulty how I wanted to, but now I have to disable it just to keep up with what’s being thrown at me. Enemy levels can make or break battles I feel, and it’s becoming more apparent here at what I assume is the end of the game. This is the first point of the game i feel like I need to go and grind against the really high leveled enemies in early parts of the game, and I’m not a fan of that. Feeling like I’m forced to grind is a big no-no in my book, especially since I’ve been diligent in doing all the side quests and fully exploring maps to get all the EXP I can.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2
On 1/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So...Xenoblade Chronicles continues to make me go, “Wait, WHAT?!” with the story. I was able to beat the boss I was worried about (though it did take a retry because of the movement AI for my party members being stupid and getting stuck, thanks games) and then the story has some big moments that took everything in a crazy direction. To keep it short, I was surprised by the revelations of the Monado and the Bionis and the point of certain NPCs. The NPCs I had a hunch about with how the game shows them off at different times, but the story reveals and cutscenes...holy crap.

I’ll admit said story bits do seem very RPG-ish with the surprises, but I’m liking the delivery of them, which I feel is the important part. It’s kept me invested and thinking about what’s coming next. Now all I can wonder is where the game will have me go to next area wise.

On a separate note, I really don’t care for the difficulty increase at the end of the game. I was enjoying using Expert mode to tailor the difficulty how I wanted to, but now I have to disable it just to keep up with what’s being thrown at me. Enemy levels can make or break battles I feel, and it’s becoming more apparent here at what I assume is the end of the game. This is the first point of the game i feel like I need to go and grind against the really high leveled enemies in early parts of the game, and I’m not a fan of that. Feeling like I’m forced to grind is a big no-no in my book, especially since I’ve been diligent in doing all the side quests and fully exploring maps to get all the EXP I can.

You should cross-post this to the Game Review section! That section needs some love and this definitely qualifies as a review. 😁

Pokémon Emerald, I’ve arrived at the Elite 4. I don’t think I’m fully prepared so I’ll do a little grinding and catch up on some match calls.

NNK Remastered, I’ve got 11 or 12 hours logged as I get way less time on my PS4 than my other systems. I am, however falling deeper into love with this game. The level of challenge is just perfect and being able to customize my party by catching and Metamorphosing my familiars is just a blast. I can’t wait to see what other surprises this game holds, and I’m sure there are many.

Digimon Cybersleuth, the challenge on this game had a sharp upturn in the last few cases I’ve conquered, including side-cases. I’m glad I never faltered on keeping my team fighting-fit. I think I’m on chapter 13, and there is major chaos going on. But like I said, battles have been a challenge, and therefore a blast.

• Like 2

Ao no Kiseki - 24 hours in and have reached the Intermission chapter. Perfect to time to take break & play some...

Rune Factory Frontier - only 3 hours in, but I think I have the lay of the city and know where to go to battle monsters now. Time to cheap hoe my way to boatloads of money from turnips & see if I can't upgrade my farm tools a bit.