What RPG's are you currently playing?

Suikoden 1: Defeated the first Imperial General, Kwanda Rosman. I forgot how the game handled his situation and the effects of the Black Rune he was given. I also forgot how early the game sets up who the villain is and shows hints at how the Scarlet Moon Empire was changing because of said villain. It’s cool seeing these kind of details I either didn’t notice/didn’t really think about. Also, apparently 3 months pass after you defeat Kwanda, and I sure didn’t remember that time skip!

Final Fantasy VII: Yup. I’m going to try and play this game again. First time I played it I never got out of Midgar, but I’m going to give the game a shot again in light of Sephiroth being added to Smash Ultimate soon. I’ve played most of the other FF games, so I’ll try and give FF7 a fair shot. Almost done with the Mako Reactor #5 event right now, and I’m finding myself enjoying the game more now then I did years ago.

I’m having trouble sticking with a game right now and I don’t know why. Just trying to see if I can find something that clicks and holds my interest.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Final Fantasy VII: Yup. I’m going to try and play this game again. First time I played it I never got out of Midgar, but I’m going to give the game a shot again in light of Sephiroth being added to Smash Ultimate soon. I’ve played most of the other FF games, so I’ll try and give FF7 a fair shot. Almost done with the Mako Reactor #5 event right now, and I’m finding myself enjoying the game more now then I did years ago.

Which platform?

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Which platform?

Vita. Same with Suikoden 1. Why do you ask?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Simple curiousity! You've heard the phrase Curiousity Killed the Dracky of course.

Hey now, he’s a Drackyma. He’s above the pay grade of a regular Dracky.

Also I was just curious why he was curious. The curiosity goes full circle that way.

36 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Also I was just curious why he was curious. The curiosity goes full circle that way.

I wonder what brought that line of thinking on.

Sorry, I mean I'm curious as to what brought that line of thinking on. Hmmmm

• Like 1
7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Simple curiousity! You've heard the phrase Curiousity Killed the Dracky of course.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

4 hours ago, Wes said:

I wonder what brought that line of thinking on.

Sorry, I mean I'm curious as to what brought that line of thinking on. Hmmmm

Ah I see my two-word response prompted some typical Denizen nonsense. 

Love it!

Yep, it really was simple curiosity. Thought it would be neat if you actually dug out a PS1 and hooked it up. 

Anyway, here is my update:

NNK Remastered: I'm closing in on having seven hours logged and I'm impressed so far. I'm glad the constant cut-scenes thinned out a bit to allow me to actually enjoy the game. After wrapping up Ding Dong Dell, I did most of the side-quests and bounties, I think I've got one to come back for. Then I made my way through a mushroom forest and beat a big red dude. Then off to a desert town I went. I spent lots of time exploring and fighting monsters on the way. Difficulty in this game feels just perfect. It's got a nice challenge to it, but nothing crazy at all. My only other impression is that this game screams Level 5, which is a total positive. 

Pokemon Emerald: Wrapped up Mt. Pyre. Onto the next route. 

Digimon Cyber Sleuth: My primary crew is approaching level 50 all around, but I just got a Memory-UP so I did a little switching around. Now my main fight Squad is RizeGreymon, MetalGreymon (Blue), and Hisyaryumon. With MachGaogaomon, Starmon, Stingmon, and ExVeemon filling the reserve slots. 

7 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Yep, it really was simple curiosity. Thought it would be neat if you actually dug out a PS1 and hooked it up. 

I never owned a PS1 growing up. First Sony console I owned was a PS2 and that wasn’t until late 2011 so I could play Dragon Quest VIII.

The Vita has been my primary way to play PS1 games I missed out on when I was young. I do have a small collection of physical PS1 games I’ve put together over the last few years, but my Vita is pretty much a PS1 and PSP games system.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VII: Got out of Midgar and am now able to explore the world map. I’ve officially gotten farther than I did the first time I tried playing the game. 🤣

The motorbike escape was fun. A little weird to control, but it was fun to fight off the pursuers as you made your way out of the city. Currently on the way to the northeast to the next town. I’m enjoying the game more than I did 6 years ago when I tried playing it for the first time, so hopefully I can see it through to the end and check it off the “Final Fantasy games I still need to play” list.

(Also Sephiroth being added in to Smash Ultimate has something to do with me checking out FF7 again but SHHHHHHH)

I just found out my R4 supports Gameboy Color emulation.

I just started Magi-Nation. I had to use cheat codes to transfer my relics (my cartridge has 8 play throughs on it, with 3 End Bringers included). It took two days to fine tune the codes, because this game has such weird coding.

I also started Dragon Warrior 3. I set up a smart hero and some allies. Went with 2 Clerics and a Mage. Not sure what I'll change them to later. Probably Thieves and Clerics. The Hero is my heavy hitter, and Clerics have decent strength and weapons, and you can't have too many healers.

I just completed Dark Souls on my 2nd character. My friend who got me into the series wanted to do a co-op focused run for the fun of it. Managed to clear it tonight. I ended up going with a joke cosplay build of Nito. Full Dark Set, including the Dark Hand. Along with the Gravelord Sword. Had the two poison spells for cosplay purposes as well.

Had fun, but I don't think I would ever use that sword again. Fun to use but has trash parameter bonuses.

I have decided for now I am going to throw Bloodbourne in the backlog. While I do want to play more of it, I am far more interested in Dark Souls 2 right now. Going to be fun to see why this is considered as the black sheep of the trilogy.

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 10:38 AM, Wes said:

I also started Dragon Warrior 3. I set up a smart hero and some allies. Went with 2 Clerics and a Mage. Not sure what I'll change them to later. Probably Thieves and Clerics. The Hero is my heavy hitter, and Clerics have decent strength and weapons, and you can't have too many healers.

Yeah I  think that's a good setup. 

You have plans for the Alltrades yet?

5 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah I  think that's a good setup. 

You have plans for the Alltrades yet?

I screwed up pretty bad by not having any thieves in my party, so now I have three thieves that used to be 2 clerics and a mage. I made it to Samanao, though, so the equipment is strong enough to level them back up without too much trouble. I skipped a lot in the dungeons and towns, so I'll have to go back through them now that I have Smell and Mapmagic. I'm not sure what I'll change my other two thieves to. As you can probably guess, I like having characters who can do everything, but it takes a lot of grinding when you haven't even reached Baramos. That's what I love so much about this game, though. You can literally make a Fighter that knows all of the spells from other classes. That's also why I made all three of my characters thieves, so I don't have to do it later on. I might actually turn them into Dealers, then Jesters, then Sages. My final roster will be 3 Fighters that know all spells. But I also have to steal enough IntSeeds to get them to 522MP as Sages. Have I mentioned that I'm insane and I have OCD?

I have a Dealer named Jade, and I was going to take her to the field by Soo. But now I decided to rename someone Gold. Then I can read "Welcome to Goldberg!" when the town gets bigger.

• Like 1

I have been chewing away at Rogue Galaxy a little bit at a time for the last several weeks. So far I just got all three keys on Chapter 8 and need to continue from there. The Libra King dungeon was just a nightmare though. I appreciate a good long dungeon, but everything looks the same and probably took me a good 5 hours to get through while doing micro management along the way.

The only regret I have is going for 100% on this game. A lot of grinding. Grinding in itself isn't bad, but there is just so much of it. Luckily things die really easy with AoE spam. 

I am very bad when it comes to the sunk cost fallacy. So I have to keep going until the end! Still enjoying the game though.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VII is definitely not the serious, amazing story game people have always told me it is. I do like the narrative and some of the mysteries still not answered, such as the voice who speaks to Cloud during his sleep in certain cutscenes, but there are some very silly moments in this game. Here I always had the impression FF7 was this super serious game with the way people discuss it, but it’s very much like other FF games I’ve played: you have your serious moments, but you get a good dose of silly moments too, such as Barrett in disguise as a sailor.

The game continues to surprise me, so I’m glad I’ve given it another go. The one thing I’ve not liked is the mini games in Junon when in disguise as a soldier. Those were not fun, but at least I managed to get a new sword for Cloud because of it.

I just started Dark Souls 2. So far my impressions are positive for the most part. The game started easy, but I was thrown off by the torch mechanic. I didn't mind the need of using the Lantern in DS, or the helmet that gave you light. But the way they approached it in this game just seems weird. You are discouraged of keeping the torch out since you only have so much time with it, and then you need to go around and light braziers. It just comes off as more annoying then DS1.

The other problem I have with the game is that you HAVE to teleport to the hub area to level up. I can understand why they did it this way. Just annoying that I have to warp there every single time. Especially since I try to use up my souls as much as possible in case I lose them.

My biggest complaint of the game though is the Adaptability stat. The fact that you use items slower then you did in Dark Souls AND the fact that the game is faster paced is just dumb. Agility shouldn't be tied to the speed of item use. I can understand why they would have a stat with spell casting speed. But items? It feels like a waste since I am pretty much dumping points into this stat just to make it "feel right" on what I am used to in Dark Souls.

I love that there is a worldwide death counter in the hub area.

The combat mechanic changes with weapons don't feel too bad for me. The faster pacing didn't take much to adjust. It overall feels nice so far.

The scenery in this game is just amazing. I love it a lot more over Dark Souls. While the game's graphics look dated by today's standards, the amount of work they did in the actual look and feel on this game is top notch. I love it.

One of my favorite aspects of Dark Souls was the "Oh #$*!!" moments that the game had to offer. This game got that and dialed it up to 10. I absolutely LOVE it. So many things caught me by surprised that I lost count and I am only 5 hours into the game. Getting caught off guard and having to quickly adjust is what I love about Dark Souls.

It is hard to say how I feel about this game compared to the original. But I am enjoying it regardless.

I wasn’t a fan of Dark Souls 2. It was first Dark Souls game I played (first Souls game was Bloodborne though), and Dark Souls 2 was not a good introduction. I tried going back and beating it after finishing and loving 1 and 3, but DS2 just doesn’t feel right to me. Hidetaka Miyazaki not being a part of the game shows in many aspects, and to me at least it didn’t feel like the From Software games he has a big part in creating. Personally I can’t stand how they changed dodge rolling and basically removed the intended invincibility frames unless you level up certain stats.

I’m glad you’re liking it though, Twinkie. It’s definitely not the Dark Souls game for me, but I’ve seen plenty of people who love the game as much or more than the other DS games.

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Personally I can’t stand how they changed dodge rolling and basically removed the intended invincibility frames unless you level up certain stats.

Yeah, I forgot to mention about that too. It just feels very off and off putting. I hate having to put points into things just to make it feel right. If Adaptability wasn't in the game, I would be enjoying the game a lot more.

Apparently the game used to be a lot darker too. Pretty much forcing you to use torches. Glad they changed that.

About 45 hours into Zero no Kiseki. Been a heck of a ride with this game. Hopefully going to finish up the penultimate chapter tonight. I've actually really really enjoyed the story of this game. The fact that it's the same 4 characters the entire time instead of a rotating cast is actually quite nice. I don't know what it is about the little cinematic camera movement sometimes, but I feel like the game is made like a detective TV series, with a little intro almost every game day. I've seriously been looking forward to finishing this game and moving on as I've done a ton of Legend of Heroes lately, but IDK, I might just power through and do the other Crossbell game right after. Trying to get to the end of February with a clear slate so@YangustheLegendaryBandit and I can have a legit race to the finish (for once where one of us doesn't quit early) on Bravely Default 2. That makes me a bit gunshy on starting Yakuza 7 or Persona 5 Royal later this week. Thinking of buying a bunch of shorter games for my Switch too.

Collection of SaGa: I think I’m halfway through the first game of the collection. With this and the other two games being Gameboy era RPGs I’m not expecting super long games, but I’ve been having a lot of fun with the collection so far. I feel like I’ve gotten a good amount of time from the first game from exploring, doing a little grinding so I can get those next stat upgrades, and just enjoying the presentation. Part of me feels at home playing the first game since my first RPG was a Gameboy RPG (Dragon Warrior Monsters 1), so the simple presentation, button controls, and chip tune music makes me feel at home.

I’ve seen folks complaining about the collection elsewhere, but I’m having a blast. It’s been fun experiencing the start of the SaGa series, and the game (and likely the others) feel great to play on Switch.

Finished SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend 1 in the Collection of SaGa. The last portions of the game were starting to get kind of difficult, but thankfully with all the money the game started throwing out I was able to keep my party well equipped.

The final boss was a “A-ha, you were playing into my little game,” but it was cool to see it was a character who was present throughout the entire experience. He was rough since he has some really powerful AoE attacks, but thankfully I did it after a few retries and some equipment swapping. Definitely make sure to save before the final stair climb and have a Door item handy because there’s a point of no return if you go up it! I learned my lesson in Romancing SaGa 2 to beware of that.

The game was fun and simple. There were a few annoyances, but it’s an early Gameboy RPG so I can look over those things. At the end of it all I had fun with the game, so that’s all I care about. I can see this being a game a turn on and play through again in a few days when I need a quick RPG experience, sort of like what I do with Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest III.

Looking forward to firing up SaGa 2 next and seeing what’s changed between the games!

Finished SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend 1 in the Collection of SaGa. The last portions of the game were starting to get kind of difficult, but thankfully with all the money the game started throwing out I was able to keep my party well equipped.
The final boss was a “A-ha, you were playing into my little game,” but it was cool to see it was a character who was present throughout the entire experience. He was rough since he has some really powerful AoE attacks, but thankfully I did it after a few retries and some equipment swapping. Definitely make sure to save before the final stair climb and have a Door item handy because there’s a point of no return if you go up it! I learned my lesson in Romancing SaGa 2 to beware of that.
The game was fun and simple. There were a few annoyances, but it’s an early Gameboy RPG so I can look over those things. At the end of it all I had fun with the game, so that’s all I care about. I can see this being a game a turn on and play through again in a few days when I need a quick RPG experience, sort of like what I do with Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest III.
Looking forward to firing up SaGa 2 next and seeing what’s changed between the games!
Wow! How long did that take you?
39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I am also playing FFL. I beat it before with a team of Mutants. This time, I have 4 Humans.

If you start a new game and explore the first town, I think he's the guy saying "Gen-Bu has hidden the key to the door in the Statue of Hero." Not sure if how long he stays there.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow! How long did that take you?

According to my switch I started the collection as a whole 5 days ago on Christmas Day. Didn’t play it much that day since, well, it was Christmas, but part of why I was able to beat game 1 so quickly was thanks to having three days off in a row. I actually only played it for maybe 2, 3 hours at a time. And there’s a fast speed option you can toggle on and off whenever you want, so that helped too. 🤣

Can’t say I’m surprised it was short since it was a Gameboy RPG from 1989, but I had fun.

1 hour ago, Wes said:

I am also playing FFL. I beat it before with a team of Mutants. This time, I have 4 Humans.

I had two humans, male and female, a mutant and a monster. Mutant party member was annoying since the spell list can change so much, but my mutant was still pretty strong for most of the game.

• Like 1

Zero no Kiseki all done! Tried to finish it last night but an unfortunate & scary crash of the Vita during the recording of Sidequest cost me an hour or two of progress. Started doing savestates after that, something I usually avoid.

Also, I blame@eal@Pendy &@YangustheLegendaryBandit. Geeze, if you 3 would've shut up already I could've beat this last night.

In all seriousness though, it's fitting I beat my favorite game in 2020 on the last day of 2020.

The more I play, the more I'm getting sucked into the The Legend of Heroes games, by far more than just the combat which drew me in.

• Like 2