What RPG's are you currently playing?

I was planning to start Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX so I could try and properly talk about it for the upcoming Slime Time Side Quest episode we have planned, but I think that may be put to the wayside since I want to focus on beating RS2.

Sacrifice for the show!
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Sacrifice for the show!

Yeah, about that...from playing RS2 tonight I got several HP level ups and access to some new spells that should really help. And thanks to the new dungeon in this version, I obtained a formation that boosts attack power and speed for the entire party.

I’m finding ways to help improve my chances!!!

• Like 1

I WOULD like to say that I have made progress on Rogue Galaxy. But I haven't played it much this week. Genshin Impact has kept me busy with the new update, and a friend ended up buying me Satisfactory which occupied the rest of the week.

Though from the progress I have made, I am still enjoying it. The only thing I really have against the game so far is the fact that it pretty much requires grinding. At the very least on the chapter that I am on. While I do enjoy a good grind from time to time, I am not really into it when it comes to action focused games.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:07 AM, Twinkie said:

My impressions on Rogue Galaxy is really positive so far.

I am about half an hour into chapter 2. Having a lot of fun with the game so far. I actually really love the art direction of the game. My only two complaints is that jumping is incredibly clunky. Luckily you can depend on AI to do the jumping for you for some of the enemies. The other problem I have is audio related. There is a strange cut off on audio when I go into the menu. I am guessing this audio glitch has to do with the fact that this game is being emulated. Since I am playing the PS4 "port".

Excited to play more of it when I get the time.

5 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I WOULD like to say that I have made progress on Rogue Galaxy. But I haven't played it much this week. Genshin Impact has kept me busy with the new update, and a friend ended up buying me Satisfactory which occupied the rest of the week.

Though from the progress I have made, I am still enjoying it. The only thing I really have against the game so far is the fact that it pretty much requires grinding. At the very least on the chapter that I am on. While I do enjoy a good grind from time to time, I am not really into it when it comes to action focused games.

6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Final Fantasy III: Recently received the Fire Crystal job classes of Ranger, Knight, Scholar, and Geomancer. As I learned the last time I played, Geomancer can get VERY powerful if you stick with it, so I’m fine with having one in the party again. Doing a little job level grinding before I go to the town of Tokkel so I can get my characters a little more prepared for the upcoming dungeon and boss battle. Thankfully it’s pretty easy to raise job levels thanks to the auto battle feature: just set everyone to defend, let them auto battle for 4 or 5 turns, then defeat the enemies. Being able to do this against any enemy encounter is kind of cheap, but hey, using tricks like that to replay a Final Fantasy game can be fun.

Romancing SaGa 2: I’m trying to complete all the content I need to before going to attempt the final boss again. Definitely learned from my mistakes and now know what to be prepared for with the final boss, but I still worry how things will go. So, in addition to redoing every I need to since I had to go back to a save from 5 hours before the final boss, I’m trying to do some extra grinding for my final party. I think I found some places that will help me out with gaining levels in weapons and spell types, but I can only hope that will be enough. I really want to see this game finished, especially since I do genuinely like it a lot, but boy...I won’t lie, after what I went through this past Thursday, I’m kind of disheartened.

I was planning to start Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX so I could try and properly talk about it for the upcoming Slime Time Side Quest episode we have planned, but I think that may be put to the wayside since I want to focus on beating RS2.

Rogue Galaxy and FF III. Two games I’ve been talking about replaying for ages.

*insert monologue containing excuses and complaint pertaining to “too many games and not enough time” *

I’m not getting very much time with DOS II, which is a bummer, but I’ve got decent little chunks of time with both Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Pokémon Emerald. Digimon has been a balance of party/mon development and story progression while Pokémon has simply been about going back to all the areas with water and making sure I fully explore them. 

• Like 1

FF3: Beat Castle Hein last night and have left the floating continent. Not gonna lie, it’s still kind of impressive the game has an entire other world for you to explore. I know by today’s standards that might not be super impressive, but for a NES game that’s pretty amazing. Dragon Quest III doing the same thing (just in reverse with large world first than smaller world) is still really cool.

Anyway, Hein wasn’t as difficult as I thought he was going to be with my current team. For the game telling you you’ll need a Scholar to help deal with his Barrier Change shenanigans, he only used that skill once during my fight with him. My Geomancer just destroyed him too quickly I guess. This is why the Geomancer is my favorite class in FF3! Haha

Playing FF3 again does make me want to replay either FF4 or FF9. I know I shouldn’t...but it’s very tempting to play through one of them again!

NNK2 might fall tonight. Was on my way in the corridor to the final boss and fell asleep basically. Saved and will try tonight. For something I figured I'd just give a try to for the sake of Sidequest, I've got 36 good hours into it and have enjoyed all of them!

11 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

FF3: Beat Castle Hein last night and have left the floating continent. Not gonna lie, it’s still kind of impressive the game has an entire other world for you to explore. I know by today’s standards that might not be super impressive, but for a NES game that’s pretty amazing. Dragon Quest III doing the same thing (just in reverse with large world first than smaller world) is still really cool.

Anyway, Hein wasn’t as difficult as I thought he was going to be with my current team. For the game telling you you’ll need a Scholar to help deal with his Barrier Change shenanigans, he only used that skill once during my fight with him. My Geomancer just destroyed him too quickly I guess. This is why the Geomancer is my favorite class in FF3! Haha

Playing FF3 again does make me want to replay either FF4 or FF9. I know I shouldn’t...but it’s very tempting to play through one of them again!

And why shouldn’t you?!?!

29 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

And... It fell. f76832aba8376c76491461f1b8ea1425.jpg

Boom! Congrats! What’s on deck to be played next?

• Like 1
Boom! Congrats! What’s on deck to be played next?
I've been putting some time into thinking about that. As fun as the PS4 has been, I want to clear up a few things first. I'm going to try and build up to keeping P5R for summer. It actually may be harder to play then with kids staying up later and actually if camp goes off like normal I wake up not much later than now, but I'm not ready for 100 hours of P5R now.

Going to throw myself into Pokémon Sword for now. In reality it shouldn't take me too long, another week or two. I've had it all of 6 days, and I'm 3 gyms deep already, and that's intermittent.

Need to finish up Cat's Quest. That shouldn't be more than another 2 hours.

And then I want to finish off Trails in the Sky. I've set it aside enough that I don't need to do all the Sidequest stuff I haven't done. I need to just finish up the game because I'm on the final dungeon.

Who knows, after all those little things, we'll see if I'm up for a long or short game. I may give my first Tales of game a go with the Definitive on I got for Switch or maybe try Grandia's GBC game again. Lost the save to that a while back. But it's only a 10 hour game, so not too hard to get done.

Maybe this weekend's Slime Time Sidequest episode will get me geared up to finish a Pokémon Side game I've not finished, either Ranger 3 or Mystery Dungeon 3.

Finally, FINALLY, finished Romancing SaGa 2!

spacer.png

I still can’t believe I finally managed to complete the game. I’m in disbelief it finally happened consider how long ago I started it and how difficult it could get. Doing all the extra grinding and exploration did help a lot, and I felt on more even footing with the final boss compared to a week ago. I was basically throwing myself at a brick wall before, but now I felt like I could properly handle the challenge. I’m glad I was able to find some online help since this series isn’t that big over here.

Having the game completed after trying for so long feels weird! I feel like I should still be playing it! Even though Romancing SaGa 2 could get frustrating, I did really enjoy the game, and it has made me interested in the rest of the series. The SaGa games have been ones I’ve wanted to try for a long while, and RS2 helped open the door for that. Definitely one of my favorite SNES era RPGs I’ve played since it was such a unique experience, even now.

Guess its time to start up Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX and see how that goes. I remember enjoying the original a lot on my DS (but stupidly traded in my copy like a moron when I was in high school) so I’m hoping I’ll find that same enjoyment again with this remake. Psyduck’s adventures are back, baby!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

And why shouldn’t you?!?!

Because I have too many other RPGs in limbo. Took long enough to beat Romancing SaGa 2. Replaying FF3 was a spur of the moment thing since I haven’t played anything on my Vita in months.

But with RS2 done I can move on to RS3, which I’ve been wanting to play forever. Like, even before I got into the SaGa series I wanted to play RS3.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
On 11/17/2020 at 9:25 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Because I have too many other RPGs in limbo. Took long enough to beat Romancing SaGa 2. Replaying FF3 was a spur of the moment thing since I haven’t played anything on my Vita in months.

But with RS2 done I can move on to RS3, which I’ve been wanting to play forever. Like, even before I got into the SaGa series I wanted to play RS3.

Well I’m looking forward to your updates about it. It’ll be a while till I start Romancing Saga 3 but I’m hoping your playthrough will increase my excitement for it.

• Like 1

And so it begins.

spacer.png

First off, I really like the intro movie. I thought it was cool RS2 had a long opening to set up some history for the world, and I’m glad this game does the same thing. I’m curious how much it will play into story/progression with the “Every 300 years,” time frame. Makes me wonder if the game takes place during the new 300th year or if it’s to come. Intro didn’t make that quite clear, but that very well could be the point.

Second, I like that you get to choose your protagonist at the beginning of the game. You have 8 choices, 4 guys and 4 girls, and from starting I’ve already met 7 of them. I chose Julian for my protagonist, and as of now every protagonist (save the 8th) is working together. Gives me an Octopath Traveler vibe since it seems like everyone has their own goals. Perhaps this helped inspire Octopath Traveler?

Last, I’m really liking the presentation. Arte Piazza (who helped make DQ4-6 on the DS and DQ7 on 3DS) helped with this remake and the RS2 remake, and the game does look very nice. Like RS2, it seems like all the backgrounds, menus, and so forth where re-done while character and monster sprites are left in-tact. Like RS2, I think it really works. Character and monster sprites remind me a lot of how they designed sprites for Final Fantasy VI; same goes for the music’s sound too. It sounds identical to the sound system Uematsu and company used for FF6.

I’m not far in, but I’m liking it a lot already. I only hope this game isn’t quite as difficult as Romancing SaGa 2 could get! I guess if it is, at least I’m somewhat prepared thanks to the last game! Haha

I’m just shy of 7 hours of progress in Romancing SaGa 3 from this weekend. It’s been an interesting experience playing, mainly because of how traveling around the world is so different compared to RS2. I have gone to quite a few locations and have been able to recruit a number of characters, including the Minstrel from other SaGa games, the small town super hero Robin, and a warrior of the north named Ward. Favorite so far has to be Nora the Blacksmith though. She hits like a truck and has very good HP.

I am running into a problem I had in RS2 though, and that’s being unsure of where exactly I can go next. I’m running out of areas I can access without having to spend money on boat rides, but I may be on the right track now for some progress. The town of Lance is looking for someone to guard their wares during a sales transport, and with the money they are paying I could afford some new weapons and armor. That would help a lot, as one of the caves I tried to go into had some...well, rat mischief going on, and I couldn’t do anything about it. Definitely an area I need to return to later once I’m stronger!

There have been head scratching moments, but I am enjoying myself. The mechanics of this game are similar to RS2 with a few tweaks here and there. Only thing I’m not liking so far is how magic works in this game, so I may need to consult ye olde internet for help on that part. Might also look through the Adventure Log Book option and see if I can spot any tips I might have overlooked to make some more headway on the adventure.

It’s really great to finally be playing this game, and I’m already wondering how different each protagonist’s adventure plays out depending on who you choose at the beginning of the game.

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m just shy of 7 hours of progress in Romancing SaGa 3 from this weekend. It’s been an interesting experience playing, mainly because of how traveling around the world is so different compared to RS2. I have gone to quite a few locations and have been able to recruit a number of characters, including the Minstrel from other SaGa games, the small town super hero Robin, and a warrior of the north named Ward. Favorite so far has to be Nora the Blacksmith though. She hits like a truck and has very good HP.

I am running into a problem I had in RS2 though, and that’s being unsure of where exactly I can go next. I’m running out of areas I can access without having to spend money on boat rides, but I may be on the right track now for some progress. The town of Lance is looking for someone to guard their wares during a sales transport, and with the money they are paying I could afford some new weapons and armor. That would help a lot, as one of the caves I tried to go into had some...well, rat mischief going on, and I couldn’t do anything about it. Definitely an area I need to return to later once I’m stronger!

There have been head scratching moments, but I am enjoying myself. The mechanics of this game are similar to RS2 with a few tweaks here and there. Only thing I’m not liking so far is how magic works in this game, so I may need to consult ye olde internet for help on that part. Might also look through the Adventure Log Book option and see if I can spot any tips I might have overlooked to make some more headway on the adventure.

It’s really great to finally be playing this game, and I’m already wondering how different each protagonist’s adventure plays out depending on who you choose at the beginning of the game.

Man, now I feel like I'm going to be missing out a bit from not having played the other games first. Oh well, sounds fun to say the least. Would you say the difficulty is on-par with RS2?

Today was an excellent gaming day for me, which is sad because 4 hours is outstanding, and that used to be the norm. Anyways here's what's going on:

Divinity Original Sin II (PS4) - This game is HARD. Each and every little battle demands true strategy, and each decision comes with consequences, good and bad. That being said, it is much more rewarding trudging through each quest and finally coming out the other side. This difficulty shouldn't be so surprising, since I read plenty of the reviews, it's just been a good while since I played a CRPG that subscribed to the relentless difficulty of the old RPG days. Anyway, I'm about 6.5 hours in, haven't even scratched the surface, but I am having fun. 

Pokemon Emerald (GBA) - I haven't been a fan of my starter for a while so I finally switched him out and now my team is full of caught-pokemon. I know this isn't standard strategy but the team I put together has been fine so far. I did a little grinding, got my fossil pokemon, and then jammed through the weather center thing. I'm glad it's been so long since I played Sapphire because I truly have no memory of what happens next. 

Digimon Cybersleuth (Switch) - I am repeatedly impressed by how enthralling this game is. I think it's a great mix of story, main-quest, side-quests, and customization. I also think the frequency at which Digimon develop helps, there is constantly maintenance to be done on the player's party and farm islands, and so many evolution choices. I've got about 30-40 hours sunk, and I could see myself breaking 100 with how much fun I'm having. I just have no idea how much of the story is left, so we shall see how that plays out. 

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Man, now I feel like I'm going to be missing out a bit from not having played the other games first. Oh well, sounds fun to say the least. Would you say the difficulty is on-par with RS2?

None of the SaGa games are connected. You can play 3 without having played 1 and 2. It’s like Final Fantasy and post Erdrick Trilogy Dragon Quest games: each game is its own thing. The Minstrel I mentioned is just a recurring character, kind of like how there’s always named Cid in Final Fantasy games.

This game, for the time being, feels much easier than RS2 did, especially at the beginning. It was after @Plattym3and I started racing RS2 that we learned it’s one of the hardest games in the series period. Part of why it took me so long to finish it was because I needed breaks from it, but you learn how to play and (for me) that was part of the fun of the game.

No idea how difficult RS3 will get, but you can quickly tell where you should and shouldn’t go thanks to enemy encounters. RS3 is probably a better starting point if you aren’t familiar with SaGa games, but since I’m a sucker who grits my teeth on difficult games I stuck with RS2 until I had finally completed it.

I will tell you that, if you find yourself stuck on where to go, don’t be afraid to look up some help. As I found with RS2, some outside help is fine if you get absolutely stuck.

I have been slowly chewing away at Rogue Galaxy when I get the time. I am about 14 hours in and I am on Chapter 6. Having a lot of fun with this game. I just hope that I will be able to form my ideal party shortly instead of being plot locked with the party. One thing I really like about this game is how each world is pretty much treated like one big dungeon. Even if there is a lot of linear and long paths.

Didn’t make a lot of progress in RS3 the past two days, but I did find a good grinding spot so I was taking advantage of that for my party. In the town of Pidona, there is a Dream World you can explore via Muse’s side quest. Every encounter has a single enemy, a Tapir, but defeating them will always give you a Tapir’s Tear which will fully heal the party’s HP, SP, and MP. So as you can probably guess, you go all out in fights to help raise your SP and MP levels by using skills or magic like crazy respectively, then after battle use a Tear and BAM! Fully healed party. I made a back up save before going into the Dream World in case I ended up in trouble, but I ended up with a lot of helpful attack skills and slowly built up the MP pools for my magic focused team mates such as Monika.

Big take away from this place was the importance of learning Hypnosis Ward. If a skill is activated enough times in this game, all party members can then learn it. The Tapir enemies love trying to use Hypnosis, so getting the warding ability for it and giving it to everyone helped not only stop their shenanigans, but helped with the boss of this area too.

I’m now out of the Dream World, and thankfully completing this side quest has given me clues on what else I can do and where else I can go. Grinding of points was very helpful, but the reward of new places to go is better yet.

• Like 1

Let's see if this weekend could lead to a trifecta!

1. Finished off Pokémon at about 11:59PM on Thanksgiving. It was hard staying up to finish, but it kept feeling like there was just one more battle. The second credits started rolling, I paused the game, set it on the nightstand, turned off the light and rolled over to watch the clock hit midnight.

2. Gonna see if tonight I can finish off Cat Quest. Thought I beat the big baddie last week, but then of course something else is going on, but I'm about 4-5 hours in to a game that should be more than 6-7. Fun game in small bits, but it puts me to sleep after 30-40 minutes. It's fun, just no where near a deep experience.

3. Trails in the Sky 3 is deep. Think it's time to get back to this and just finish it off. Got a podcast covering it on Thursday and I best get going. I'm at end game, just got distracted by side stuff. Time to mainline!

Cat Quest completed last night. And after being lost for 30 minutes when I loaded up Trails in the Sky 3 this morning, I got back to the home base and just said forget it, I'm finishing.

Headed to the point of no return area. It's split into 4 zones and with 16 party members I had to make 4 parties of 4. Did that, making sure to have a great magic user in each since that proved vitally important this game. Beat the first of 4 in about 45 mins. Will take on the other 3 areas tonight.

Been playing more Rogue Galaxy. Finally got to the point where the game opens up. There is A LOT more grinding to this game then I realized. But after getting hang of the combat and finding how easy it is to just kill things effortlessly, it has become rather enjoyable.

Trying to do the insectron stuff. Having fun with it. Easily the best side content in the game.

Last night I got up to the final boss of Trails in the Sky 3 around 11:45. Fought it 3 or 4 times getting my butt handed to me often deep into the battle. Looked up strategy and what it said didn't in any way match reality. Kept saying to use these immunity spells. Nope. That doesn't work, that equals death.

The Vita ran out of battery for the 2nd time yesterday (I played like 7 hours) after another defeat so I put it aside for this morning. Went full offensive at the cost of everything else and won this morning. Wahoo! That's 3 games in 4 days.

As I was watching final credits this morning my son beat Pokémon Shield. So, good job Plattym4 for making 4 in 4 for us!

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

None of the SaGa games are connected. You can play 3 without having played 1 and 2. It’s like Final Fantasy and post Erdrick Trilogy Dragon Quest games: each game is its own thing. The Minstrel I mentioned is just a recurring character, kind of like how there’s always named Cid in Final Fantasy games.

This game, for the time being, feels much easier than RS2 did, especially at the beginning. It was after @Plattym3and I started racing RS2 that we learned it’s one of the hardest games in the series period. Part of why it took me so long to finish it was because I needed breaks from it, but you learn how to play and (for me) that was part of the fun of the game.

No idea how difficult RS3 will get, but you can quickly tell where you should and shouldn’t go thanks to enemy encounters. RS3 is probably a better starting point if you aren’t familiar with SaGa games, but since I’m a sucker who grits my teeth on difficult games I stuck with RS2 until I had finally completed it.

I will tell you that, if you find yourself stuck on where to go, don’t be afraid to look up some help. As I found with RS2, some outside help is fine if you get absolutely stuck.

Thanks.

I'll admit I do usually feel a little guilty looking up help. But we will see how that goes when my eventual playthrough rolls around. 

3 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Thanks.

I'll admit I do usually feel a little guilty looking up help. But we will see how that goes when my eventual playthrough rolls around. 

First thing I always look up on a series is whether the games are connected or not. Usually I don’t look up a guide unless I’m absolutely stuck. I see no shame in that.

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

First thing I always look up on a series is whether the games are connected or not. Usually I don’t look up a guide unless I’m absolutely stuck. I see no shame in that.

Yeah, same here with the guides and it's usually one of two realizations:

1. Holy crap it was right in front of me. 

or 

2. I NEVER would have done that on my own.