What RPG's are you currently playing?

The way I enjoy my RPGs is by playing them for longer sessions. Usually when I get a lot of games to playthrough, I get discouraged on picking one up until I either get caught up or throw the games into the backlog. It is a weird habit I suppose. It is easier for me to invest in a RPG when I get a good 3+ hour day to play through them.
That's been part of it. Work's been horrendous the past 8 weeks. I can't stay awake much at night and get those 2 hours in like I normally do.

That said, I figure putting a game in the system helps. With that, I removed Nexomon since I finished it and put Battlechaser: Nightwar in and completed an entire story dungeon. Got the final (?) party member. He's a few levels above my party, which is significant since level 15 has taken 13 hours to get to. Read a bit on an FAQ to remind myself where I am. Gonna try to do a couple dungeon runs this week on harder levels to see if I can't get better equipment. Sucks that my guys have 1000ish HP and occasionally monsters appear that do 400 damage, and my healing spells/potions don't do more than 200 recovery. Makes for tough progress. But maybe I can give this 12-13 hours again which could get me to endgame.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

On 9/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, Wes said:

And I just found a copy of Castle of the Winds that works!

https://classicreload.com/castle-or-the-winds.html

I can't use the Backup Saved Games button for this game, even though it clearly uses save files. But I did find out its somewhere in my web browser's cache (its not  tied to my account at classicreload, it only keeps my save file on the browser I'm using until I clear my cache. I hope to figure exactly where its stored on Chrome. So far, I've narrowed it down to C:\Users\Wes\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default, but that's still a LOT of folders and subfolders to go through.

Found it!

The saved files for Castle of the Winds when played at Classic Reload (on Chrome) are located here:

C:\Users\Wes\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB\https_classicreload.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb

Unfortunately, the files are not saved as a CotW save file, but as a Classic Reload save, and I'm not savvy enough to get the save file from within the larger one.

Castle of the Winds.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wes said:

Castle of the Winds

Seeing that name just makes me think of Studio Ghibli’s movie Castle in the Sky.

Started replaying Bloodborne last night. Felt like a good night to get that started. The opening cinematic and main menu music is still so good and sets the mood perfectly. I’m definitely rusty at playing and could tell I was getting frustrated at my dumb mistakes, but it was fun. Fought the Cleric Beast on the old bridge in Central Yharnam and that was a fun fight. Close one too since I chose the Threaded Cane as my starting weapon.

Might try playing this game one night and Luigi’s Mansion 3 the next night. Keep some variety going with these Halloween time games.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Started replaying Bloodborne last night. Felt like a good night to get that started. The opening cinematic and main menu music is still so good and sets the mood perfectly. I’m definitely rusty at playing and could tell I was getting frustrated at my dumb mistakes, but it was fun. Fought the Cleric Beast on the old bridge in Central Yharnam and that was a fun fight. Close one too since I chose the Threaded Cane as my starting weapon.

I am going  be starting my first playthrough of Bloodborne very soon. Unlike Dark Souls, I will be going 100% blind into it. Really looking forward to it. Probably gonna start it up in a couple weeks.

I am just about done with Dark Souls. I got a couple bosses to go and I will have unlocked all the achievements for it.

22 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I am going  be starting my first playthrough of Bloodborne very soon. Unlike Dark Souls, I will be going 100% blind into it. Really looking forward to it. Probably gonna start it up in a couple weeks.

I am just about done with Dark Souls. I got a couple bosses to go and I will have unlocked all the achievements for it.

Did you play Dark Souls 1 on PS4? Because if you did there is a trophy or two I could help getting via multiplayer for covenants...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Did you play Dark Souls 1 on PS4? Because if you did there is a trophy or two I could help getting via multiplayer for covenants...

Nope. I played PC. If I can get a good deal on the remaster, I might pick it up on PS4. Just to be able to play it on the couch and not deal with the input lag from streaming it to my TV.

I did all the covenant stuff for the most part. I am just missing a miracle and need to get around to crafting the Shield of Atorias. I need the Sunlight Spear still, but I just need to use the Soul of Gwyn and turn it in. Already reached rank 1 with the Warrior of Sunlight.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

Nope. I played PC. If I can get a good deal on the remaster, I might pick it up on PS4. Just to be able to play it on the couch and not deal with the input lag from streaming it to my TV.

I did all the covenant stuff for the most part. I am just missing a miracle and need to get around to crafting the Shield of Atorias. I need the Sunlight Spear still, but I just need to use the Soul of Gwyn and turn it in. Already reached rank 1 with the Warrior of Sunlight.

Damn. Ah well, no worries then.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:50 AM, Plattym3 said:

That's been part of it. Work's been horrendous the past 8 weeks. I can't stay awake much at night and get those 2 hours in like I normally do.

That said, I figure putting a game in the system helps. With that, I removed Nexomon since I finished it and put Battlechaser: Nightwar in and completed an entire story dungeon. Got the final (?) party member. He's a few levels above my party, which is significant since level 15 has taken 13 hours to get to. Read a bit on an FAQ to remind myself where I am. Gonna try to do a couple dungeon runs this week on harder levels to see if I can't get better equipment. Sucks that my guys have 1000ish HP and occasionally monsters appear that do 400 damage, and my healing spells/potions don't do more than 200 recovery. Makes for tough progress. But maybe I can give this 12-13 hours again which could get me to endgame.

I used to be all about those marathon sessions, and I still absolutely am when I can be. However, it created a bit of an issue when I only wanted to play marathon sessions since I usually get my free time in smaller chunks (30 to 90 minutes). 

I found that when I allowed myself to play in smaller chunks, instead of limiting myself to long sessions, I actually got a LOT more gaming in and was able to finish games quicker. 

This also affects the type of games I play. Usually I look for games with a save anywhere feature, and if that isn't present then I try to at least figure out the frequency at which save-points are available so I can play my playtime accordingly. 

• Like 2
I used to be all about those marathon sessions, and I still absolutely am when I can be. However, it created a bit of an issue when I only wanted to play marathon sessions since I usually get my free time in smaller chunks (30 to 90 minutes). 

I found that when I allowed myself to play in smaller chunks, instead of limiting myself to long sessions, I actually got a LOT more gaming in and was able to finish games quicker. 

This also affects the type of games I play. Usually I look for games with a save anywhere feature, and if that isn't present then I try to at least figure out the frequency at which save-points are available so I can play my playtime accordingly. 
I need to consider that. I sit at night and think "Meh, I'm tired, I shouldn't start." Or that I only have 30 minutes so don't start. And here I am a week later and I've played nothing. I need to lean in to shorter times!
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I need to consider that. I sit at night and think "Meh, I'm tired, I shouldn't start." Or that I only have 30 minutes so don't start. And here I am a week later and I've played nothing. emoji2369.png I need to lean in to shorter times!

Yup!

Another tactic, when I catch myself doing pointless time-wasting nonsense on my phone, I pick up my Switch or other handheld (or a book) instead. These even shorter sessions add up to some decent time. Further, for a lot of RPGs, the minutes can be valuable, for example, If you've got 10-15 mins that you'd normally waste looking at social media or something, you could just do some mindless grinding for your RPG character/party. It may not be enough time to smash a full quest or even get to your next destination, but it's certainly enough for a few battles. 

By doing this, when the time for a longer session comes around, my party is in tip-top shape (or at least closer to being so) so I can focus on my task at hand!

A perfect example of replacing idle phone-time with a game or book is bed-time. Before I would wind down on my phone for 15 minutes or so. Now I set my alarm, plug it in to charge, and play my game or read for those 15 mins. 

Speaking of which, the baby is napping, gotta go play some Digimon!

(Also knocked out a quest in DQ Builders a few hours ago when I had 45 free minutes)

Good luck in nabbing those shorter sessions, @Plattym3

• Like 1
Yup!
Another tactic, when I catch myself doing pointless time-wasting nonsense on my phone, I pick up my Switch or other handheld (or a book) instead. These even shorter sessions add up to some decent time. Further, for a lot of RPGs, the minutes can be valuable, for example, If you've got 10-15 mins that you'd normally waste looking at social media or something, you could just do some mindless grinding for your RPG character/party. It may not be enough time to smash a full quest or even get to your next destination, but it's certainly enough for a few battles. 
By doing this, when the time for a longer session comes around, my party is in tip-top shape (or at least closer to being so) so I can focus on my task at hand!
A perfect example of replacing idle phone-time with a game or book is bed-time. Before I would wind down on my phone for 15 minutes or so. Now I set my alarm, plug it in to charge, and play my game or read for those 15 mins. 

(Also knocked out a quest in DQ Builders a few hours ago when I had 45 free minutes)

Good luck in nabbing those shorter sessions, [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]
I played something last night! I hadn't played Trails in the Sky 3 since August 30th but thinking about chunks of gaming, one reason I paused that game was I was near endgame but had 15ish more sidequests to do and choice paralysis did me in. Last night I knocked out 3 sidequests in about an hour and went to bed. Something accomplished. Something moved forward!
  • Like 1

Finished Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

I had to do all those sidequests first, so I could get that Magus Ring. I got the ultimate dual skill awhile ago. That combo is ridiculously broken. I also picked up two Gold Rings before saving for the last time. Beat Dracula awhile ago, and farmed a few Super Potions and Super Tonics.

I unlocked Sisters mode, Richiter mode, and Axe Armor mode. When I come back to it I'll try one of those, or a NG+ for Jonathan.

Playing Pokemon Black right now. Got 6 Lillipups at level 21 for Pickup grinding. Training a Pignite and looking at a water type and a fighting type to add. Then, I'll finally get my second badge. I avoided this game because of the Exp formula, but it hasn't been as bad as I expected.

• Like 1

Just gonna brag a bit here.

yifa9jy.png

Finally done with Dark Souls. Such a damn good game. Wish I played it earlier. This is probably one of my most rewarding achievements in a long time. Defeated S&O on NG+3 as a victory lap. Going to be starting up Bloodbourne in a week or so.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 6:29 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 10/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, cprmauldin said:
Yup!

Good luck in nabbing those shorter sessions, [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]

I played something last night! I hadn't played Trails in the Sky 3 since August 30th but thinking about chunks of gaming, one reason I paused that game was I was near endgame but had 15ish more sidequests to do and choice paralysis did me in. Last night I knocked out 3 sidequests in about an hour and went to bed. Something accomplished. Something moved forward!

Way to go!

I'm sitting relatively close to beating DQ Builders, but it's a little hard to guess and I'm avoiding spoilers. I'd say I'll have to power through another 10-15 hours to get to the end, seeing as I tend to get sidetracked. Based on how much time I've been getting with Builders lately, I think a realistic goal for completion is the end of the year. 

That being said, Digimon Cybersleuth has been staying at the top of my list. No idea where I'm at in comparison with the rest of the game but I don't really care. I'm having way too much fun questing, leveling, and Digivolving to worry about how much longer I have to play. 

• Like 1

I’ve been enjoying MH Generations Ultimate a lot on my Switch again. It’s been fun doing the Hendrik file I created, making all his Palico companions into DQ11 characters. I’ve color coded all of their fur, and my main hunting Palicoes are a white and gold one named Jasper and a purple one named MopTopMo. With all the puns Palicoes, Felynes and others of their species love mixing into their speech, it’s fitting to name them DQ characters! Haha

Replaying Bloodborne for the Halloween season has been slow going. I’m not liking the new file I started, so I think I’m going to play my Yangus file instead. That one is on NG+5 I think, so the difficulty is really ramped up. But I feel like just playing through the game without worrying about scouting out every area for the weapons and armor and what have you.

It does work out that both of these games have the same kind of approach to combat. I think it’s because I played a lot of Monster Hunter before trying a SoulsBorne game that I found Bloodborne easy enough to understand. Doesn’t mean I did well at all with Bloodborne when I first played it, but hey, I figured out the name of the game to succeed after throwing myself at Father Gascoigne like 500,000 times! Haha

More Builders, Pokemon and Digimon today. 

Got into the Mirage Tower on Pokemon. I can't remember the trick with this one, haven't dealt with it in many years, but I remember the reward being decent. 

Build a Holy Hostel in DQ Builders. Hopefully my villagers will cook something for me now since not a single item has been made in the crude kitchen I constructed. 

I'm about 16 hours into Digimon and on Chapter 5. My primary fighters at the moment are Garurumon, GeoGreymon, and Pumpkinmon. I just transfered a Devimon and Sunflowmon into my reserve spots and that takes up the whole of my party memory. I've got too many mons on the Farm island to remember them all. For the first time I've got them investigating instead of training. 

I read a hack about keeping the Switch on sleep mode with the game running to keep the mons training, but that feels like cheating so I close the software when I'm done. 

• Like 1

Finished of DQ1 for the Switch, I had forgotten how easy the Charlock Castle maps are in the GBC/Mobile/Switch versions compared to the NES ones.

• Like 1

Of all things, I played an hour of Ni no Kuni 2 tonight. I hauled my PS4 out of the bedroom into the living room. A couple hours of updates and then game updates later, I was able to sink an hour into it. Holy #$*!, I never knew the battle system was Bamco. Completely familiar after 200 hours with DQHTWTWATBB & 2. Saying the battle system of the first game was pure is an understatement, so this could be fun. Nothing has really been sticking lately anyway, so might as well go full on ARPG.

Monster Hunter Gen. Ultimate: I’ve encountered three of the four flagship monsters in my Hendrik file. I really like how each of the monsters is tied to one of the villages. It’s been a slow process actually stumbling into them on different quests since I’ve been taking my time and trying to build up my armor selection depending on what situation I wind up in. Been using Switch Axe a lot and the Charge Blade as well, but I’ve been having fun messing with the Hammer. Hammer absolutely ruins some of the Yian Kut-Ku’s shenanigans, which is incredibly satisfying. I’ve never been good when fighting the Yian Kut-Ku (or as I call it the skinny noodle chicken) so finding weapon that works well against is was excellent to discover.

I’ve been having fun playing Monster Hunter for awhile after work each day. It’s been nice.

• Like 1

I played Bloodbourne for the first time today. I didn't play it that much but my initial impressions is really positive. I haven't had the chance to fight the first boss yet. Spent too much time looking at stats and getting a feel for the game. My only complaints is that finding the lanterns and switches are a pain. They blended in so damn well with the rest of the environment. I even mistaken a water pump as a lantern at one point. I am also not a huge fan of the game running at 30 FPS. It isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice to have 60. Looking forward on playing it more.

• Like 1

I can't recall sitting and playing a game for more than an hour for ages.

Played 3 hours of Ni no Kuni 2 last night. I'm really really loving the battle system. I have a feeling that empire building is going to be my jam, although I'm still not at that point yet. Had my first skirmish battle and while it's a bit odd, it's not the crap I keep reading about in reviews. Overall I've sunk nearly 5 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it!

• Like 1

Got another hour in on NNK2 last night before I totally just fell asleep mid-World Series.  Of course I woke up middle of the night and wasn't tired yet, so started up a smaller title that I'd heard a lot of good things about and clocks in under 10 hours: Cat Quest.  It's on sale for $2 right now and is quite the fun(ny) little ARPG for me right now.  NNK2 rekindled my desire to button mash and chop things up, so a little side chopping now and then is ok too, right?

Primary:

Pokemon Black. I just beat Clay and got my fifth badge.

I have a Karrablast with False Swipe, and 6 Lillipups that are level 21 and 31. I can't evolve them because they'll lose Pickup.

Using a Pignite, Conkeldurr, and Palpitoad. Pignite and Palpitoad should evolve soon. I think they'll be my main three until I beat the Elite 4.

Secondary:

Final Fantasy 1 (GBA version). Apparently, you're supposed to gain Agility on most level ups, because it boosts Accuracy and Evasion more than if you use the Agility Boost items? My fourth run on this save file. I archived saves 1-3 at the final boss. I'm trying to make the ultimate team for this run, so I'm boosting Agility for a max stat version of my team.

Lufia The Ruins of Lore (GBA). This game is pretty fun. Its the fourth installment, and I think its the last true Lufia game (1-4 are turn based RPGs, 5 is an action RPG that really went in a different direction).

Final Fantasy Advance 6. I just restarted, and I battled Ymir the Lightning Whelk the hard way. I'm going to totally abuse the Quicksave glitch to relevel characters, but that's a long way off. I had to restart, because I screwed up on my first run many years ago. 

Spoiler

So, the game asked if I wanted to wait for Shadow. I thought "He's a Ninja. If anyone can survive the airship crashing, its him." So, I had to restart because of that bad decision.

Anyway, you can fight Ymir the regular way, by attacking the head and avoiding the shell. Or you can be a crazy person, and attack only the shell. It runs out of MP pretty quickly from using its Megavolt counterattack. But, after 25 minutes, I finally killed the shell, and it even dropped an Ether!

30 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Got another hour in on NNK2 last night before I totally just fell asleep mid-World Series.  Of course I woke up middle of the night and wasn't tired yet, so started up a smaller title that I'd heard a lot of good things about and clocks in under 10 hours: Cat Quest.  It's on sale for $2 right now and is quite the fun(ny) little ARPG for me right now.  NNK2 rekindled my desire to button mash and chop things up, so a little side chopping now and then is ok too, right?

(Sits in the corner pointing towards Ys games)