What RPG's are you currently playing?

Monster Rancher! Wahoo, we're going to talk about that tonight on Slime Time's Sidequest. Never played it but some guests have.

Also, Moon RPG sounds like a great Idea. Sounds innovative and I'm glad it's out there. I just know it's not for me. No battles = no Platty. That's just what I enjoy most. And it inspired Undertale? The game that dethroned FFXII for least enjoyable to win.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

Currently revolving around 3 RPGs on Switch, playing them as my mood decides:

Fire Emblem Three Houses - I've done the Blue Lion's route to completion, and finished the DLC, and am currently on the first half of a Golden Deer New Game+ Hard Classic, almost going into the timeskip.

Dragon Quest 11S - Just reached Phnom Nohn last night, am in the process of scoping the place out on arrival.  Also, L'academie is a fun place.  SO. MUCH. FRENCH.

Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus - I find the characters in this game of grim darkness have a surprising amount of levity in their personalities.  Game's hard as a Golem's head, but very fun.

All the above are games on my Switch, in game card format.

8 hours ago, Twinkie said:

After a couple weeks I finally managed to complete Moon: Remix RPG Adventure. It is one of those rare games where I knew what I was getting into. But was still thrown off. In a good way.

Moon isn't really a "RPG" in the traditional sense. It is more of a point-and-click adventure that was designed to be played with a controller.  You get sucked into a game, and have to clean up after the "hero" who is grinding levels by killing creatures in order to kill the dragon that stole the Moon. You help these creatures by "capturing" their soul and getting rewarded with love that increases the maximum activity you can do before you need to go to bed. The more love you get, the more you can do. You also gain love by solving puzzles and helping out other NPCs around the game.

The game has a day/night cycle, and events occur at different times of the day and different days of the week. Each NPC has their own routine, and some of their routines will change as you progress through the game. There are also puzzles that are involved with the time and day cycles as well. This in return leads to probably the biggest problem with the game. You will be sitting around doing nothing A LOT in this game. This is sorta offset with how the game conditions the player that this is not a "normal" game.

There is one good upside to the downtime. The game has a good amount of obscure music artists who had their work put into the game. A good amount of the music was actually commissioned and written for the game itself. You get a device that allows you to play the music you acquire throughout the game. You "program" this device to have a playlist that you can cycle through as you play. As a side effect of this, many areas in the game have no music at all. The areas that do have music disables the music player. But very few areas have their own music to begin with. So because of this downtime, you can listen to some very obscure and unknown music. As well as give you some exposure to something you may not know you would like. Personally, I am not much of a music person. But I did personally enjoy a good amount of music this game had to offer. Make sure you something in hand to help pass the time as well.

The dialogue was pretty good as well. I had a good amount of laughs as well.

As with the progression, I was able to complete about 90% of the game without a guide. Towards the end of the game I got stuck and had to end up using a guide to help point the way. This is one of my worries about these kind of adventure games. As I feel that looking up solutions takes away from the experience. But I really only had to do it twice. Which ended up opening pathways that made it clear on what to do. If you are looking to 100% the game, you may end up looking up on how to gain love from certain NPCs. But I didn't feel like these took away from the core experience from looking it up. As long as you don't get the actual events and dialogue spoiled. As with most adventure games, I suggest taking notes to help assist you.

One other complaint I have with the game is that it just tosses you in with no tutorial. Which is normally fine with adventure games. But you have a very limited timer at the start and it isn't described at all in the game. The developers have translated the manual and posted it online on their website. I would suggest digging up the google drive link for the manual and giving it a read before you play to save you that problem. (I am not sure if I am allowed to link google drive links here.)

It is tricky to suggest this game. I think it is a very good and unique experience with pointing fun of RPG tropes. But I consider this game to be a niche of a niche. If you managed to read all of my complaints and compliments on this game and you are still interested in the game, I would suggest trying the game out. If this game doesn't interest you at all, I highly suggest at least looking up the soundtrack. There is a lot of pretty good and obscure music to give a listen to.

On a unrelated note. I am surprised to see this game sitting at 19th on the top selling for download only titles. It is pretty refreshing to see an actual obscure game like this to get some exposure.

All of this helps me see even more of a connection with Chibi-Robo, which one of the heads for Moon went on to make for the Nintendo GameCube. I’m glad the game is doing well and I definitely want to check it out in the future.

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Monster Rancher! Wahoo, we're going to talk about that tonight on Slime Time's Sidequest. Never played it but some guests have.

Also, Moon RPG sounds like a great Idea. Sounds innovative and I'm glad it's out there. I just know it's not for me. No battles = no Platty. That's just what I enjoy most. And it inspired Undertale? The game that dethroned FFXII for least enjoyable to win.

Undertale was kind of disappointing. I hate the game shames you for fighting any battles. The battle system was fun with the dodging mechanic for enemy attacks, but having to talk your way through every situation was a bore. And that #$*!ing dinosaur scientist NPC towards the end of the game...god, that totally killed any mood the game had.

Thankfully the game did have some cool areas like the waterfall caves, some catchy music and a few fun characters like Sans and Papyrus. I know everyone memes about Sans, but I did genuinely like him and his brother Papyrus. I just think Undertale would have been better off doing what that Moon game does where the character you play just helps the monsters instead of forcing them into random fights they have to talk their way out of.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Too MANY.

Learn Japanese To Survive - Kanji Combat on PC

DQ8 blind playthrough on 3DS

DQ3 on Switch

DQ5 on SNES

Kingdoms of Amalur ReReckoning on PC

And

Evoland 2 on Switch.

And of course I've always got DQX going on alongside anything I'm playing. Up to version 4 now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, AustNerevar said:

Kingdoms of Amalur ReReckoning on PC

How is this?!

I got so excited when I heard it was coming out but I just don't have time to rotate it into my game cycle right now.

I felt the first release was a truly underrated gem. Played the hell out of it on my 360. 

Did you like the original?

Cause that's what this essentially is. The only changes are made to balance, which is something it sorely needed.

5 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Did you like the original?

Cause that's what this essentially is. The only changes are made to balance, which is something it sorely needed.

Yup. Loved it. 

Hopefully it'll drop in price :)

Yup. Loved it. 

Hopefully it'll drop in price
If you own the original on Steam, ReReckoning is currently 50% off there.

@Plattym3 I can't say much else about it so far, but Nexomon certainly has some beautiful animation.

@Plattym3 I can't say much else about it so far, but Nexomon certainly has some beautiful animation.

That's my #1 point I took a note on. Really this art style and 2D presentation is my sweet spot in gaming. I'm not opposed to 3D, but I do love sprite based 2D and this is beautiful.

Speaking of Nexomon, I think my game is messed up. The biggest resource, those gems are supposed to respawn after 30 or so minutes. I've been going a couple hours since I passed a big story flag and nothing has respawned. I know there's an update coming out that's supposed to reduce spawn time. Hope it fixes my issue too.

Current RPGs:

WII: I had to start over on the two games, because my old WII is gone. But I installed a save file that has Payback mode for DQS, since I could never unlock it on my own.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Dragon Quest Swords

DS:

Etrian Odyssey 2

On my to play list:

Etrian Odyssey 3

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Megaman Battle Network 2

Megaman Battle Network 6

Final Fantasy Advance 1, 2, and 6

Pokemon (GBA and DS versions)

Dragon Quest (6, 9, and the Joker games)

Fate (PC)

WoS (PC)

Blades of Avernum (PC)

also to do:

My own RPG for the calculator. I can't find my USB cable, so I installed the 90 day trial of TI-Smartview. Once I program the 20 pages of lined paper, I'll release it for people here to beta test it!

Edited by Wes
4 hours ago, Wes said:

Current RPGs:

WII: I had to start over on the two games, because my old WII is gone. But I installed a save file that has Payback mode for DQS, since I could never unlock it on my own.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Dragon Quest Swords

DS:

Etrian Odyssey 2

On my to play list:

Etrian Odyssey 3

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Megaman Battle Network 2

Megaman Battle Network 6

Final Fantasy Advance 1, 2, and 6

Pokemon (GBA and DS versions)

Dragon Quest (6, 9, and the Joker games)

Fate (PC)

WoS (PC)

Blades of Avernum (PC)

also to do:

My own RPG for the calculator. I can't find my USB cable, so I installed the 90 day trial of TI-Smartview. Once I program the 20 pages of lined paper, I'll release it for people here to beta test it!

That's one hell of a list. 

You've got absolutely killer games on there though. You're going to be busy for a while :)

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

That's one hell of a list. 

You've got absolutely killer games on there though. You're going to be busy for a while :)

And I just found a copy of Castle of the Winds that works!

https://classicreload.com/castle-or-the-winds.html

I can't use the Backup Saved Games button for this game, even though it clearly uses save files. But I did find out its somewhere in my web browser's cache (its not  tied to my account at classicreload, it only keeps my save file on the browser I'm using until I clear my cache. I hope to figure exactly where its stored on Chrome. So far, I've narrowed it down to C:\Users\Wes\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default, but that's still a LOT of folders and subfolders to go through.

My Nexomon journey is back on. I was really stopped there for about 10 days. Then the update finally hit Switch and I've been going strong with a good 6 hours so far this weekend. Lots of great stuff was added to the game, none better than these items that can be equipped to get free EXP. There are also items that boost EXP. I equipped a bunch of EXP boosts on my lead dude, as many EXP copy stuff on my party and went on a leveling tear for a bit! Progressing in the story now and I'm still confused who's good and who's bad. Heck the main villain lady just said I was inconsequential because if I beat her, that'd be OK because the world would still be saved. Not mind blowing or anything, but interesting nonetheless.

Should finish up Nexomon tonight if I don't have many more annoying crashes. Or if the plot doesn't take a turn again. Seemingly just need to get 2 of 5 of these last minute, do-in-any-order quests done and hopefully the last battle. Crashes have begun randomly after the new update. Annoying, but with the autosave nor more than a couple minutes lost. Still a lot of fun.

I have been playing a lot of PSO2 this past week to get caught up before the next major update.

Genshin Impact came out later yesterday. Anyone here got the chance to play it yet?

• Like 1
Should finish up Nexomon tonight if I don't have many more annoying crashes. Or if the plot doesn't take a turn again. Seemingly just need to get 2 of 5 of these last minute, do-in-any-order quests done and hopefully the last battle. Crashes have begun randomly after the new update. Annoying, but with the autosave nor more than a couple minutes lost. Still a lot of fun.
Finished up Nexomon! Of course an update to fix crashing dropped while I was fighting the final boss, but that's OK. I won! Wahoo! Easily a 4/5.

I am addicted to Genshin Impact. I went in expecting nothing. But ended up getting addicted to the game. Decent story and writing, has some pretty good English voice acting. Lots to do and explore. Some of the best ARPG gameplay I have played in years. I really hate to say this. But this might be the first time a F2P game will end up as my game of the year. As for the F2P mechanics. You can do everything with just the base characters you get. They are pretty generous with the gacha pulls as well. I have been so addicted to it, that I forgot to log in for another one of the MMOs I play and lost my 803 day long day streak. Oh well.

Edited by Twinkie

A recent career movement has cause a lull in my gaming, and my forum posts.

I’m down to about an hour a week of Digimon.

That being said, things should settle down in a few weeks and I’ll get back into my rhythm!

• Like 1
A recent career movement has cause a lull in my gaming, and my forum posts.

I’m down to about an hour a week of Digimon.

That being said, things should settle down in a few weeks and I’ll get back into my rhythm!
I've been drifting for a while now. I was going great in Trails in the Sky 3 and then got to endgame and there's 15 sidequests I could do before I try to beat it. And... that just froze me. I played the GBC and GBA games. Nexomon occupied 8 hours of my time for 3 straight weekends... but nothing has really been sticking. Played and beat Evoland today. Did not enjoy that. Won't be playing the second.

I'm just beat from work weekly. This school year and huge change in schedule has done me in.

I need to try something new or just finish Trails 3 or something. I don't even know.
7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I've been drifting for a while now. I was going great in Trails in the Sky 3 and then got to endgame and there's 15 sidequests I could do before I try to beat it. And... that just froze me. I played the GBC and GBA games. Nexomon occupied 8 hours of my time for 3 straight weekends... but nothing has really been sticking. Played and beat Evoland today. Did not enjoy that. Won't be playing the second.

I'm just beat from work weekly. This school year and huge change in schedule has done me in.

I need to try something new or just finish Trails 3 or something. I don't even know.

I would almost recommend playing something that doesn’t ask much of you, just to unwind. Something like Until Dawn, which is just an interactive story that you can finish in a couple hours.

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

This is why I’ve been playing platformers and fighting games for awhile now. RPGs just haven’t been that appealing to me lately even though there are several I need to get back to and finish.

The way I enjoy my RPGs is by playing them for longer sessions. Usually when I get a lot of games to playthrough, I get discouraged on picking one up until I either get caught up or throw the games into the backlog. It is a weird habit I suppose. It is easier for me to invest in a RPG when I get a good 3+ hour day to play through them.

• Like 1