Jump to content

What RPG's are you currently playing?


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Well I did it. Finally beat Dark Souls. For how difficult it was, the last boss was kinda easy once you figure it out.

3dChRSHh.jpg

Pretty proud on doing it. Gonna be playing more Soulsbourne/Souls-like games in the future.

I've got it on PS3 and I remember having a lot of fun with it, but for some reason I never wrapped it up. Now I'm kinda torn between eventually playing it on PS3, or just grabbing the Remaster. I'm thinking the remaster should drop in price fairly quickly so perhaps I'll go through it that way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Well I did it. Finally beat Dark Souls. For how difficult it was, the last boss was kinda easy once you figure it out.

3dChRSHh.jpg

Pretty proud on doing it. Gonna be playing more Soulsbourne/Souls-like games in the future.

Glad you enjoyed it. Which ending did you end up going for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I've got it on PS3 and I remember having a lot of fun with it, but for some reason I never wrapped it up. Now I'm kinda torn between eventually playing it on PS3, or just grabbing the Remaster. I'm thinking the remaster should drop in price fairly quickly so perhaps I'll go through it that way. 

I would say that depends if you want to do PVP or play with others. I would imagine Remaster is more active. There is DLC as well that was included in Remaster. Not sure if you would need to buy it or not. I would only 100% suggest Remaster if you played the original PC port. That port is pretty bad.

 

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Which ending did you end up going for?

Apparently I got the bad ending. But the good ending is pretty easy to get. Already working on my second playthrough to get it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I would say that depends if you want to do PVP or play with others. I would imagine Remaster is more active. There is DLC as well that was included in Remaster. Not sure if you would need to buy it or not. I would only 100% suggest Remaster if you played the original PC port. That port is pretty bad.

 

Apparently I got the bad ending. But the good ending is pretty easy to get. Already working on my second playthrough to get it 

I’m guessing that means you chose to Link the Fire. The Age of Darkness ending isn’t much more pleasant, especially depending on your views towards the dark snakes.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m guessing that means you chose to Link the Fire. The Age of Darkness ending isn’t much more pleasant, especially depending on your views towards the dark snakes.

Is that one the bad ending? I just walked out. I didn't realize the bonfire thing until after the fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Is that one the bad ending? I just walked out. I didn't realize the bonfire thing until after the fact.

Honestly there is no good or bad ending, as it really comes down to the player perspective whether keeping the First Flame going or not is good or bad. Same with ushering in the Age of Darkness and ending the Age of the Gods.

Personally, I never trusted either of the primordial serpents you meet in the game, Frampt and Kaathe. Both of them give you conflicting messages and ideals about the Gods, and since each cares about the different endings I never felt like either was right choice. I find that’s the beauty in the SoulsBorne games though; you finally reach the end of the journey but are faced with one last challenge that has heavy consequences. Bloodborne in particular does that rather well, but I won’t say how because of big spoilers. That kind of ambiguity is part of why I love the games.

That’s just my personal takeaway from the games though, so take all that how you will. 

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I would say that depends if you want to do PVP or play with others. I would imagine Remaster is more active. There is DLC as well that was included in Remaster. Not sure if you would need to buy it or not. I would only 100% suggest Remaster if you played the original PC port. That port is pretty bad.

 

 

Thanks. 

 

I just did some research on pricing and it seemed affordable. I'll give it some time to see if the price drops even further. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trials of Mana right now again

Switched Duran from Paladiin to Liege. Lookin sharp

 

EgTlgnoWAAAYYC5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally progressed to the last Chapter on DQ builders. Looking forward to whatever is in store here. 
 

I will say that I did NOT like the final boss battle in the last chapter. While I beat em in one go, it felt like a silly level in Crash Bandicoot or something. 
 

Anyway, aside from that boss battle, this game has been an absolute pleasure thus far.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very appreciative of this tavern letting me barge in with my horse and chill at the bar.

HORSE SERVICE.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fates said:

Very appreciative of this tavern letting me barge in with my horse and chill at the bar.

HORSE SERVICE.png

First thing the bartender said when the horse approached the counter: “Hey buddy, why the long face?”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally wrapped up DQ III. It was an amazing experience with all the fresh graphics and such. I'd be happy to play it again in a few years. 

I also started DigimonStory: Cybersleuth. I've put about an hour in and I'm actually having a lot of fun. I'll put in a few more hours before I post some first impressions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about to begin The Finale, the final chapter of Trails in the Sky 3, but then reading up about it, specifically how I'll need to form multiple parties of members (I have 12 or 16, I've lost track) for multiple areas, I'm now going to stop and grind a bit. A good half of the team has gone unused and is rediculously underpowered. Oh well, not too bad, low level people get higher EXP. But I do now need more orbments and equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Was about to begin The Finale, the final chapter of Trails in the Sky 3, but then reading up about it, specifically how I'll need to form multiple parties of members (I have 12 or 16, I've lost track) for multiple areas, I'm now going to stop and grind a bit. A good half of the team has gone unused and is rediculously underpowered. Oh well, not too bad, low level people get higher EXP. But I do now need more orbments and equipment.

I like when RPGs employ multiple parties, especially with games that have larger casts. Some of my favorite dungeons in Final Fantasy VI are the ones where you use two or three parties to help make progress in dungeons, or like in Suikoden 2 you create three separate parties to take on Luca Blight.

Feels good to be able to use all or most of your party members in order to progress. I mean, when you have a lot of characters, it only makes sense for them to work together and split up into groups.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been all Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth the last few days. Turning out to be a very, very good game. I made a thread about the game a while back so I'll post some first impressions there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So months ago I got stuck on a mission in Steamworld Heist where you had to deal with explosive oil and fire shooting enemies. Couldn’t beat it for the life of me. I just randomly fired up the game again this evening to try and finish some games in limbo on my Switch and ta-freaking-dah, I went and beat the mission in the first try in months.

Maybe now I’ll see how the game ends. I enjoyed it but just got brick walled on that mission something awful. I guess the trick was to send in Ivan the strongman robot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just reinstalled Well of Souls, and Fate.

I'll be playing Wizardry V on the SNES. And DQIX, and some Pokemon games on my DS. Also Etrian Odyssey 1-3

I programmed an RPG for the TI-84. I'm looking for a TI emulator that can run it on the computer. I was planning to share the game and see what the people at Dragon's Den think of it.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, Wes said:

I just reinstalled Well of Souls, and Fate.

I'll be playing Wizardry V on the SNES. And DQIX, and some Pokemon games on my DS. Also Etrian Odyssey 1-3

I programmed an RPG for the TI-84. I'm looking for a TI emulator that can run it on the computer. I was planning to share the game and see what the people at Dragon's Den think of it.

If you end up sharing it I will try it out. I still got a TI 84 Plus I used for college. Just gotta find a cable for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about 7.5 hours deep in Nexomon. Took about 3+ hours for it to get going for me. Getting killed by a boss woke me up and 80 minutes of grinding really set me up for success and getting to know my monsters well. 5 of my team of 6 has evolved once now and we're cruising along.

The biggest difference from old DS Pokémon, which it's based on is that you've got an SP gague and all attacks cost SP. So, if you're using high-level ones, you might get 5-6 attacks in before that Nexomon is useless. I find myself using my whole party so so so much more than I ever have in Pokémon games. I mean, other than that it's just old school Pokémon for the most part. Party of 6. They evolve. 4 attacks/skills each.

Pretty dark story, tons of 4th wall braking and humor though from not-Pikachu, companion Co Co.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Twinkie said:

If you end up sharing it I will try it out. I still got a TI 84 Plus I used for college. Just gotta find a cable for it.

Ironic, because I have to find my cable so I can upload it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, Plattym3 said:

I'm about 7.5 hours deep in Nexomon. Took about 3+ hours for it to get going for me. Getting killed by a boss woke me up and 80 minutes of grinding really set me up for success and getting to know my monsters well. 5 of my team of 6 has evolved once now and we're cruising along.

The biggest difference from old DS Pokémon, which it's based on is that you've got an SP gague and all attacks cost SP. So, if you're using high-level ones, you might get 5-6 attacks in before that Nexomon is useless. I find myself using my whole party so so so much more than I ever have in Pokémon games. I mean, other than that it's just old school Pokémon for the most part. Party of 6. They evolve. 4 attacks/skills each.

Pretty dark story, tons of 4th wall braking and humor though from not-Pikachu, companion Co Co.

I’m glad you ended up getting it, and even more glad you’re enjoying it.

 

As for my monster-taming adventures:

 

I’ve probably put a total of about 45 mins into Pokémon Emerald since my last post. Just beat all (or most) of the trainers in the desert with the constanr sandstorm.

 

As for Digimon: Cyber Sleuth. Just.. WOW. Already, this game is head and shoulders above any Pokemon game I’ve played. Designed with far more complexity, adult-level communication and humor, and holy smokes the monster catching, evolving, and developing is just an absolute blast. And the way the story develops through, “Investigations,” what a brilliant way to break it into bite-sized Chunks. 
 

Anyway, I’m very impressed so far. Once I log about 15-20 hours, I’ll post some deeper impressions about the game in the dedicated threat I made. But I’m blown away at the moment, and can’t wait to dig in some more. 
 

...I’m also making some slow progress in the Final Chapter of DQ Builders. Just like every other Chapter, tons of fun and very easy to get distracted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monster Rancher 2. The game will break your heart when your monster dies of old age, or worse, gets killed in a fight, and that is actually required to unlock some new species. Really appreciate how arcane and hard to get some of these monsters are to get without cheating, considering the extensive amount of discs you need to have lying around, but its better this way. Not exactly possible to grind your way to max stats without significant metagame knowledge, considering the limited lifespan they all have. One of the more difficult monster raising games to complete, really.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Monster Rancher 2. The game will break your heart when your monster dies of old age, or worse, gets killed in a fight, and that is actually required to unlock some new species. Really appreciate how arcane and hard to get some of these monsters are to get without cheating, considering the extensive amount of discs you need to have lying around, but its better this way. Not exactly possible to grind your way to max stats without significant metagame knowledge, considering the limited lifespan they all have. One of the more difficult monster raising games to complete, really.

They die of old age and can get killed in fights? I thought I was bummed out by Monster Rancher Advance 2, when I'm told my monster is too old to enter more tournaments (and their ability to explore ruins drops too). As tempted as I am to try the main MR games, I have too many other games on backlog right now

Edited by Wes
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wes said:

They die of old age and can get killed in fights? I thought I was bummed out by Monster Rancher Advance 2, when I'm told my monster is too old to enter more tournaments (and their ability to explore ruins drops too). As tempted as I am to try the main MR games, I have too many other games on backlog right now

Yep, different monsters all have their own general lifespan, but it can be increased, and with great effort, increased indefinitely. This requires significant metagame knowledge, however, as well as a tight schedule. Not my way to play the game. 

 

Dying after a fight is random, only happens if you lose, but is much more likely to happen if you take massive damage with low health. Some legendary monsters, like the Phoenix, won't die, but have their own "exit" cutscene once their time is up.

Edited by Poseidon
Link to post
Share on other sites

After a couple weeks I finally managed to complete Moon: Remix RPG Adventure. It is one of those rare games where I knew what I was getting into. But was still thrown off. In a good way.

Moon isn't really a "RPG" in the traditional sense. It is more of a point-and-click adventure that was designed to be played with a controller.  You get sucked into a game, and have to clean up after the "hero" who is grinding levels by killing creatures in order to kill the dragon that stole the Moon. You help these creatures by "capturing" their soul and getting rewarded with love that increases the maximum activity you can do before you need to go to bed. The more love you get, the more you can do. You also gain love by solving puzzles and helping out other NPCs around the game.

The game has a day/night cycle, and events occur at different times of the day and different days of the week. Each NPC has their own routine, and some of their routines will change as you progress through the game. There are also puzzles that are involved with the time and day cycles as well. This in return leads to probably the biggest problem with the game. You will be sitting around doing nothing A LOT in this game. This is sorta offset with how the game conditions the player that this is not a "normal" game.

There is one good upside to the downtime. The game has a good amount of obscure music artists who had their work put into the game. A good amount of the music was actually commissioned and written for the game itself. You get a device that allows you to play the music you acquire throughout the game. You "program" this device to have a playlist that you can cycle through as you play. As a side effect of this, many areas in the game have no music at all. The areas that do have music disables the music player. But very few areas have their own music to begin with. So because of this downtime, you can listen to some very obscure and unknown music. As well as give you some exposure to something you may not know you would like. Personally, I am not much of a music person. But I did personally enjoy a good amount of music this game had to offer. Make sure you something in hand to help pass the time as well.

The dialogue was pretty good as well. I had a good amount of laughs as well.

As with the progression, I was able to complete about 90% of the game without a guide. Towards the end of the game I got stuck and had to end up using a guide to help point the way. This is one of my worries about these kind of adventure games. As I feel that looking up solutions takes away from the experience. But I really only had to do it twice. Which ended up opening pathways that made it clear on what to do. If you are looking to 100% the game, you may end up looking up on how to gain love from certain NPCs. But I didn't feel like these took away from the core experience from looking it up. As long as you don't get the actual events and dialogue spoiled. As with most adventure games, I suggest taking notes to help assist you.

One other complaint I have with the game is that it just tosses you in with no tutorial. Which is normally fine with adventure games. But you have a very limited timer at the start and it isn't described at all in the game. The developers have translated the manual and posted it online on their website. I would suggest digging up the google drive link for the manual and giving it a read before you play to save you that problem. (I am not sure if I am allowed to link google drive links here.)

It is tricky to suggest this game. I think it is a very good and unique experience with pointing fun of RPG tropes. But I consider this game to be a niche of a niche. If you managed to read all of my complaints and compliments on this game and you are still interested in the game, I would suggest trying the game out. If this game doesn't interest you at all, I highly suggest at least looking up the soundtrack. There is a lot of pretty good and obscure music to give a listen to.

On a unrelated note. I am surprised to see this game sitting at 19th on the top selling for download only titles. It is pretty refreshing to see an actual obscure game like this to get some exposure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...