What RPG's are you currently playing?

Rune Factory 4 (Switch) - Now I'm tracking the baddies back toward their empire...and also giving away carrots. Finally found a monster I like to roll around with, before this it's mostly been solo missions. 

Just now! Yikes, I had partners forever. I got some wolf early and him and the town Knight chic and I were a trio most of the game. Exploited the hell out of other monsters in the 3rd story arc (post game). Instead of grinding I went and caught a level 200ish monster or 2 in the bonus dungeon and just brought them along to decimate everything.
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

Strange Journey Redux: Beat Sector Bootes and have moved on to Sector Carina, aka the shopping mall of overkill. Mithras took two tries to beat, but the first time was a totally wash on my part because I forgot he loves using ice spells. I had the feeling that’s what he used since years ago he was a boss I got stuck on for a long time in the original, and I should have listened to that feeling before fighting him the first time.

I ended up mainly using Law aligned demons for the fight. Mithras is weak to wind (again, something I DEFINITELY remembered because of being stuck on fighting the guy back in the day) so I had purposely been trying to get Wind spells on my demons. Most of the Law ones I’ve fused had Wind element attacks + Wind Boost from fusions, so while the protagonist couldn’t join in for follow up attacks as he’s currently Neutral aligned, I was able to deal with Mithras for the most part. Had to swap out demons a few times due to a few being killed, but the High Pixie I had helped pick up some of the slack when I swapped her in.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2020 at 5:54 AM, Plattym3 said:

Just now! Yikes, I had partners forever. I got some wolf early and him and the town Knight chic and I were a trio most of the game. Exploited the hell out of other monsters in the 3rd story arc (post game). Instead of grinding I went and caught a level 200ish monster or 2 in the bonus dungeon and just brought them along to decimate everything.

How did you go about catching those high-level monsters? I have yet to perfect that. 

How did you go about catching those high-level monsters? I have yet to perfect that. 
Bring a bunch of high level crops or dishes or really anything. Run like hell, throwing them at them. Quit, reload. Not an easy thing. The first one happened quickly. The other one took a good 40+ minutes.
18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
19 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Bring a bunch of high level crops or dishes or really anything. Run like hell, throwing them at them. Quit, reload. Not an easy thing. The first one happened quickly. The other one took a good 40+ minutes.

Sounds like a plan!

And I took your advice in continuing my mission, I've got a human party member and monster with me now. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Sounds like a plan!

And I took your advice in continuing my mission, I've got a human party member and monster with me now. 

Yay!  It simplifies some things.  Meat shields & such.

Finally finished Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 tonight.  Like I've complained before, my kids and I have been stuck at end-game for a month and nothing's helped.  Well, I found out what helped: don't play with kids ages 4 & 6.  Tried it out tonight and beat it first try.  Maybe not "easily," but it was mainly frustration-free and painless.  Figured out I'd been a little wrong in how I was going about it.  My youngest had been controlling Hulk.  I had him equipped and leveled WAY better than anyone else so his damage by the least skilled player would be fine.  Bad idea.  Once I started the boss battles as Hulk, I realized I should have been playing as him.  The bosses went down pretty easily with me as Hulk and 3 AI characters. 

Now to buy the kids what they've been dying for: Super Mario Odyssey. A Mario game. Where I can't play as Waluigi.  Ick.

Haven’t been able to play Strange Journey Redux much the last few days, but I have explored some of Sector Carina and have started the hunt for its master, Horkos. I’ve gotten the enhanced Unlock app and have been going to the previous areas to open new doors, and in Sector Bootes I made the mistake of activating one of the side quests. It’s a rescue mission that you can find once the Unlock feature gets an upgrade, and at the end you have to fight a fairly strong boss for this early in the game. I somehow managed to win (and it would have been bad if I lost because I would have lost a fair bit of progress) and my reward was being able to create this guy for my party. 💀

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nothing like making the boss that nearly handed you an ass whoppin’ become one of your party members! Haha

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Stupid Horkos has proved to be difficult for my current party in Strange Journey. Walked in and was doing the fight before I called it quits and then...

He’s weak to both fire and electricity, but he hits like a truck with his physical attacks and unfortunately I wasn’t paying enough attention to it properly fuse buffs and/or debuffs on my demons. He was killing off party members too quickly with just one attack! Definitely need to try and get some demons who resist physical attacks.

I did get lucky with a demon fusion accident and got a Nue with both Rakukaja and Acid Breath, but I’m going to need something to lower Horkos’ attack power or improve my accuracy.

Also, apparently Horkos can remove debuffs if his stats end up at a -4. I knew later bosses for sectors did this, but I thought this little gimmick didn’t kick in until sector 5 of the game. Damn pig’s gonna be turned into bacon next time I play. Just need to re-equip the protagonist and see if I can better prepare my team for the fight.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, Plattym3 said:

Yay!  It simplifies some things.  Meat shields & such.

Speaking of Meat Shields, I'm not sure how it happened but I managed to recruit one of those massive Trolls near the Sech base with ONE plate of fries. 

Yeah...having him around has been pretty damn nice. 

• Like 1

First sentence: UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE DECADE.

Second sentence: Thanks, robo-buddy. 👍

spacer.png

Damn, I did not think Horkos of all bosses was going to give me so much trouble, but I FINALLY beat that piggy son of a gun. I had to work to get the physical resist armor and get the right team of demons together, but I pulled it off. Mithras kept on the lightning damage, as did Take-Minakata, while Doppelgänger supported with Rakukaja and using Fog Breath and Mabufula when necessary. Having three Chaos aligned demons meant they could team up when hitting Horkos’ weakness to lightning, but the hero was doing fine with his gun attacks and using healing items.

The biggest difference between victory and defeat was that I didn’t need to stop and heal or re-apply buffs/debuffs. Thanks to the armor I had equipped the protagonist took little physical damage, Doppelgänger naturally reflects any physical damage, and Take-Minakata has physical resist naturally, so the three of them could take hits and, in Doppelgänger’s case, could reflect the damage right back to pig boy. Mithras was the only one I had to heal, but that’s much easier than a whole party!

Man, that was tough, but that’s why I enjoy this game. It’s so satisfying to overcome these challenges with just the right team. Now, on to Sector Delphinus, aka the giant trash heap!

the "really old computer RPG" rabbit hole is really fun

Behold, a first person RPG with mecha... from none other than pre-FF Square! And imagine a time when Uematsu would be credited second in the manual for music, rather than the starring dude.

The game's menus are in english, but dialogue is in Japanese. A very interesting game, to be sure.

CPCGC_4PC98_20200727_220949_248.png

CPCGC_4PC98_20200727_221021_376.png

uematsu.PNG

Strange Journey Redux - Found a rare material and nod to the Etrian Odyssey series while playing through the newly added dungeon in Redux. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting the Sub App it would turn into would be that Guidance Angel one, but you know what, that’s actually a pretty damn good reward considering what dungeon awaits after Sector Delphinus. That Sub App will make exploring that place SOOOO much easier so I don’t end up going in circles.

Edit: And shortly after that I fought the first boss of the Womb of Grief dungeon, Anahita. Apparently she’s a goddess of Persian lore and is related to water. She had a cool design with the water motif, and she was actually a fairly tough boss. She actually had an ability to completely nullify her weakness to Fire (which is weird her weakness wasn’t lightning but eh) and it actually completely disabled all fire related spells and items from being cast. That was actually a good idea for countering the player, and upon defeating her I am now able to create her via special fusion.

Seems the goal of the Womb of Grief dungeon is to find the 6 fruits hidden within it for Demeter, the Goddess of the Harvest, for whatever reason. I was wondering what the protagonist was going to have to do to repay Demeter for saving his life from the mysterious Alex, and hey, I’m fine with exploring a giant new dungeon and fighting bosses if they are like Anahita’s fight.

It’s gonna get wet and wild, boys. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally got my main (demon) man Black Frost in my party. This guy was my MVP years ago in the original Strange Journey, and he was in my main party for the entire game up until the final boss. Sadly at that point I finally had to drop him, but from Sector Delphinus onward he was the best demon I had. Him gaining skills like Luster Candy and other powerful skills through mutation was certainly a major perk. With the skills I’ve fused onto him, he’s already starting out strong again.

Jimenez has Bugaboo, Zelenin has Mastema, and now the protagonist finally has Black Frost. All is right with the world now.

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 1

Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and got about 5 hours into it. I haven’t touched the original in like 9 years and i don’t remember much about it, but when playing the opening hours I still recognized a few things and had those “Oh yeah, this happens,” moments. The title screen music and the passage of time in that lone field did give me a hit of nostalgia, as I remember that very vividly from the original. Not gonna lie, the Monado out in the open field while the music plays and time passes is still surprisingly strong for the introduction to the game.

Years ago I got to the head of the Bionis (the giant creature the characters live on) but ended up stopping because of the dual boss you have to fight up there in the winged people’s ruins or something. I wasn’t really invested in the game that much either: I liked it, but it wasn’t necessarily the RPG experience for me at the time. Starting college when playing it didn’t help either, so I’m really hoping with the Switch remake that I’ll finally see the game to the end. I was pretty hooked on it while playing, and I was enjoying filling out the area maps and doing side quests while exploring, so hopefully those are good signs.

As of now, Shulk and Reyn are leaving Colony 9 to pursue the mechanical monsters who attacked their home. Figured that was a good stopping point since it was right after some major story events and after all the exploring I had been doing. Looking forward to playing more!

Got a solid couple hours with Builders this weekend. I think I'm close to wrapping up Kol and Galenholm but I've been wrong before. 

In terms of DQ III, I'm gonna goof around for a while longer, make sure I've searched everything and all that since I probably wont be coming back to this game for a while. 

I JUST opened my shop in Rune Factory 4. I've done a lot of farming and tasks, but I've also been very quest-focused since I started the game. It's nice to keep peeling back the layers. I have a feeling it's going to be a LONG time until I put this one down. 

Just chugging along in Pokemon Emerald. Team is all around level 23. 

• Like 1

I’ve gotten a lot of progress made in Xenoblade. I’ve made it Satorl Marsh, and I remembered this area being partially bland, partially beautiful. After exploring it and seeing how vastly different day and night makes it look, now I realize why I remembered that! The Marsh looks really cool at night time, and the music that plays with it is so good. I didn’t remember the song, but the visuals still stuck in my mind all these years later.

What I’m laughing at again is the silver haired young man who has been showing up far away from the party. His voice actor is the same guy who voiced Angelo in DQ8, and hearing him talk all I can think of is Angelo! Just a matter of time before he starts talking about hitting on the ladies or wanting to go gamble.

In Rune Factory 4, I got to an area where I need a decent elemental weapon to do any real damage to the baddies, so I spent some time training my crafting skill. I'll probably put a little more time into crafting and running my shop before I head back out to the dungeon I'm working on getting through. 

In DQ III, I'm glad I slowed down and I'm going over everything again. There was some mini medals and some decent loot I missed when I picked up the pace. 

Since I've slowed everything down a bit, I'd imagine I'll be able to rotate a new game (Digimon Digital Story) in by the end of the month-ish, unless life gets in the way. 

Got Mellia and Riki in my party now in Xenoblade. Mellia never left a huge impression on me other than her design, but Riki on the other hand was easily one of my favorites from the game. I love his personality and his combat capabilities. He’s definitely the most comedic party member, but I remember him having some genuine connection moments with the other characters.

I’m liking the Expert mode they included for the Switch release. You can change your levels at any given time outside combat, so if you end up too over leveled from exploring and doing side quests you can freely lower your character levels if you’d like to keep things more evenly paced throughout the game. I’ll admit there have been specific enemies where I’ve put my levels back to normal (namely against special named enemies that can be real turds to fight), but I’ve enjoyed having more evenly matched battles while playing. I enjoy the combat in Xenoblade a lot, and steamrolling enemies can be kind of disappointing. So I’m glad the devs threw in a way to tailor the combat to match what you’re looking for difficulty wise at any given point.

About 7 hours into MegaDimension Neptunia VII. Passed the shower scene. Passed the bathtub scene. Yikes, HLTB still has this as another 30 hours. How many other ways are there for them to get naked?

Dropped a couple dollars on DLC today to speed this along. The combat is actually enjoyable, but not enough that I want to put in the grind time it's requiring.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

How many other ways are there for them to get naked?

Chocolate naked. It’s exactly what it sounds like.

• Like 1
Chocolate naked. It’s exactly what it sounds like.
Good point. Nep Nep goes on and on about pudding. This could happen.

Seeing a buddy tweet about the Crossbell games (and Torneko 3 GBA freezing my Vita) has inspired me to jump back in to the Legend of Heroes games. I know I'm not catching up by the Cold Steel 4 Switch release, but I started 3TitS and got three solid hours in. Whew, story story story story story and more story! So far, so good. I wonder if I can knock this out by the end of September & move on to Crossbell. Between this and MegaDimension Neptunia, let no one say, "why don't you read a book?"

On 8/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, Plattym3 said:

Seeing a buddy tweet about the Crossbell games (and Torneko 3 GBA freezing my Vita) has inspired me to jump back in to the Legend of Heroes games. I know I'm not catching up by the Cold Steel 4 Switch release, but I started 3TitS and got three solid hours in. Whew, story story story story story and more story! So far, so good. I wonder if I can knock this out by the end of September & move on to Crossbell. Between this and MegaDimension Neptunia, let no one say, "why don't you read a book?" emoji12.png

I still have Trails of Cold Steel II sitting on my shelf.

I need to decide how and when I'm going to deal with this series. 

I swear I need two weeks off to get caught up on gaming. 

• Like 1