What RPG's are you currently playing?

I have a friend who got really sucked into and I've been meaning to give it a try ever since. There are just too many other games I'm addicted to at the moment.
It was on sale on Switch for $15 with the DLC and I was reading how the DLC adds some automation to resource gathering & farming and such. It's decent, just got around to starting some of that. But I like how the NPCs are handled. They're pretty stationary, so I know where to find them. And there's a convenient page showing them all with a list of who appears what days and what tasks I'm doing for them. Also, their friendship level is clearly shown and when talking to them you see clearly what giving them stuff does numerically and what it opens. Skill trees are equally numerically detailed.

It's got a couple lazy graphical & text glitches that should've been fixed here a year after Switch release, but it's nothing that's a problem. Stardew Valley was my vacation jam 2 years ago and this is shaping up to be a good one this year.
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

On 6/28/2020 at 9:31 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ok @DrippySlimeStar, I need help in SteamWorld Heist. I’m stuck in The Core mission, You Only Drill Twice. For the life of me I can’t survive this mission with any team combination I do, and the combination of the oil being blasted by the firefighter robots (who literally hit you with fire, mind) just kills my teams so damn fast and I can’t get past the first big room!

Ugh. I’ve liked the game up till now, but this mission has killed my progress and I’ve stepped away from the game because of it. I’d rather not lower the difficulty just to beat it, but I’m at a loss and I can’t find any useful guides online for some reason.

Whoops. I'm sure this has passed. Wish I could help more but I'm sure I played on easy and barely changed my team up.

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Graveyard Keeper is awesome. Can't stop playing it. It's got the Stardew Valley feel to it without all the annoying NPC gift giving to deal with. Hits a dark humor too! I've probably put somewhere between 15-20 hours into it the past 5 days. So glad I finally bought it.

I've been considering it since it launched but the reviews I saw didn't sell me too much on it. It's $10 on the Eshop so it wouldn't be my worst purchase if I ended up not liking it. I absolutely love Stardew Valley, though. I got my PS4 copy signed by the developer.

I beat EarthBound tonight and the game continues to be amazing. I can now put my full attention on Dragon Quest 7 as my JRPG.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Whoops. I'm sure this has passed. Wish I could help more but I'm sure I played on easy and barely changed my team up.

Haven’t touched the game again so nope, still stuck. I’ll try something and see if I get lucky, but it’s at this point I wish you could have more than 2 members for that damn mission. 

It’s bad that I’ve found some of the maps I’m going through now on Hard Mode in Fire Emblem Three Houses easier than the mission I’m stuck on in SteamWorld Heist, which I’m playing on normal difficulty! 🤣

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
I've been considering it since it launched but the reviews I saw didn't sell me too much on it. It's $10 on the Eshop so it wouldn't be my worst purchase if I ended up not liking it. I absolutely love Stardew Valley, though. I got my PS4 copy signed by the developer.
I beat EarthBound tonight and the game continues to be amazing. I can now put my full attention on Dragon Quest 7 as my JRPG.
Yeah, the reviews haven't been spectacular. I can see why. It's got graphical & text errors (literally my 1st quest was to deliver a letter and the NPC said "latter" in the 2nd sentence), but all minor. There really is very little to interact with NPCs for, there's no gift-giving or need to talk to them often. Lots of grinding for resources, but one of the DLCs gives you the options to turn dead bodies into zombies and have them automate some resource gathering. I've almost got that fully functioning about 20 hours in, totally worth the extra $5 for the "Collector's Edition" (can you really call a digital copy that?) on the eShop. It's comes with both DLC. The 2nd DLC apparently let's me open a tavern to sell my goods (and opens more NPCs to have quest lines). I've got that quest lined opened, but not started. Been focusing on getting my resources automated and tons of my research lines opened first. HLTB says it's like a 50-60 hour game. I can easily see that. I've got NPCs I've not opened their quest lines yet and almost all are less than 50% complete. I've opened maybe 60% of total research lines, something I've been focusing a lot on. I figure if I can get those all open relatively early, I'll be able to whip through NPC quest lines quickly later.

I will say item management is a pretty big annoyance, but really it was a lot in of these games. Sadly I don't think you can expand it at all, but each area in the game you can build contraptions in you can also build chests in and while you're in that area they're all like shared resources so you don't have to have them on you at all times. Plus and minus.

Combat is as unimpressive as Stardew Valley.

I spent $15 on Civ IV and a few hours in, it's already in my to-sell pile.

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, the reviews haven't been spectacular. I can see why. It's got graphical & text errors (literally my 1st quest was to deliver a letter and the NPC said "latter" in the 2nd sentence), but all minor. There really is very little to interact with NPCs for, there's no gift-giving or need to talk to them often. Lots of grinding for resources, but one of the DLCs gives you the options to turn dead bodies into zombies and have them automate some resource gathering. I've almost got that fully functioning about 20 hours in, totally worth the extra $5 for the "Collector's Edition" (can you really call a digital copy that?) on the eShop. It's comes with both DLC. The 2nd DLC apparently let's me open a tavern to sell my goods (and opens more NPCs to have quest lines). I've got that quest lined opened, but not started. Been focusing on getting my resources automated and tons of my research lines opened first. HLTB says it's like a 50-60 hour game. I can easily see that. I've got NPCs I've not opened their quest lines yet and almost all are less than 50% complete. I've opened maybe 60% of total research lines, something I've been focusing a lot on. I figure if I can get those all open relatively early, I'll be able to whip through NPC quest lines quickly later.

I will say item management is a pretty big annoyance, but really it was a lot in of these games. Sadly I don't think you can expand it at all, but each area in the game you can build contraptions in you can also build chests in and while you're in that area they're all like shared resources so you don't have to have them on you at all times. Plus and minus.

Combat is as unimpressive as Stardew Valley.

I spent $15 on Civ IV and a few hours in, it's already in my to-sell pile.

I remember looking at the DLC as well but, maybe it's because I'm in a browser and not the Switch Eshop, I don't see the listings for the collector's edition. Last time the base game was on sale I think the CE was still the same price.

I remember looking at the DLC as well but, maybe it's because I'm in a browser and not the Switch Eshop, I don't see the listings for the collector's edition. Last time the base game was on sale I think the CE was still the same price.
Yep. I looked on my phone for a day, didn't notice. When you pull it up on the Switch, it shows. Odd.

Had my first lock up on Graveyard Keeper. I went to talk to the farmer at almost midnight & it started a cutscene. Farmer's son walks right past as it hits midnight and he goes in his house. The farmer and I talk a bit... then it freezes. Restart (only lost 5 mins) and doing it again in daylight the farmer's son was supposed to join in the conversation. Guess it froze because he went to bed!

I did appreciate after I did the scene and then talked to the other farmer who needs help fixing his mill that the conversation was hilarious. Apparently I need to figure out how to fix it myself as the instructions were just so nice and soft and the dude used them for toilet paper. My character made some crack about IKEA. Haha

I'm actually enjoying the simplicity of many NPCs names. Farmer runs the farm. Miller runs the mill. Blacksmith... you get it. There are about an equal number of named and just titled characters, but it helps keep things straight.

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
12 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yep. I looked on my phone for a day, didn't notice. When you pull it up on the Switch, it shows. Odd.

I've got it downloading now. Looking forward to giving it a go.

• Like 1

Got to a sudden death moment in Three Houses. I completed some of the new Paralogues and completed the new story mission for the game, and after finishing the map SURPRISE! Major supporting character for Byleth died. It actually caused the stone faced protagonist to actually emote, so that was surprising. Not gonna lie, Byleth is about as emotionless as MopTopMo is in DQ11, almost always having the same frowning face expression. Now there have been some hints at Byleth’s past and seeing more of the villains behind the scenes.

I found it interesting that not even Byleth’s powers to turn back time could stop the character death. It was a cutscene so I know it was scripted, but all I could think was, “Hey, I only used the turn back feature twice in the story mission, I still have like 7 more uses of it! What the heck, game?!”

Unit wise, Leonie has become one of my strongest characters. Same with Marianne. You had to select someone to win the Winter Heron Cup, and going with Marianne ended up being the right call as she not only won but gained access to the Dancer class. So my long range healer can now also allow a character to act again on the same turn, and her critical rate for her spells jumped up too. Hilda and Lystheia go back and forth on offensive and defense depending on the map, but if they need to attack they aren’t shown up.

The guys aren’t far behind either. Lorenz has continued to be one of my MVPs, Raphael’s strength and high HP makes him perfect for non-mage enemy units, and Ignatz and Claude can pick off enemies with their long range attacks. Ignatz has been my jack of all trades unit, and while his damage isn’t as strong as what everyone else can do, he makes for a good distraction thanks to his speed stat.

I’m hoping I can get some of the non-Golden Deer characters caught up too, namely the two teachers who can join you as units. They do alright, but they are behind in levels and it has shown on a few maps.

Posted (edited)

Played through on Normal mode, Final Fantasy VII Remake.  I have to say the last section took it down from an 8.5 to an 8.  Most of the final section of the game is a hallway to a boss battle, with some heavy reveals just prior to each boss.  It's a tad ridiculous just how many are present.  Rufus' is...ruthless and totally unforgiving.  Easily the hardest boss in the game.  I do mean easily.  He requires absolute focus given just how fast he moves, how often, and he counters EVERYTHING, while being VERY hard to counter without Counter Strike or the Parry materia (Operator Mode's auto-counter through Defending doesn't seem to work well, or at all really).  That boss battle was a nightmare.  At least I only needed one Limit Break after getting him down to half his health bar.

Bahamut in Normal mode is a fair close second in difficulty, though he's easy to Counter when he uses physicals.  Making it a MUCH easier fight overall if done perfectly.  Both his and Rufus' battles require almost perfect concentration without full weapon skills (the only way to access those is in playing Hard mode, and getting at least 2 extra booklets for an additional 20 weapon points for Weapon Level 6, and the bonuses from that, which are huge, and thus make a very lasting impact, though necessary for hard mode, and until they're all unlocked, it's still quite difficult).

Been playing Etrian Odyssey 4, 5, and Nexus as well.  I'll get to Millenium Girl at some point, but not now.  The way I play though, is slow as molasses.  I do like to farm materials for extra cash.  Though I'm already getting sick of them.  So I'm going to stop playing for now.

More work done in DQ11 for crit rates.  More work yet to be done.  Doing spells now.

I'm having a hankering for DQ8.  Don't ask why.  I just do.  I'm wondering if I should try a boss rush playthrough in the 3DS game.  See if I can do a Fisticuff game for a bit, unless it's a tad too hard.  I think it's because of all the choice difficulty in FF7r's new style of materia related to the new ATB system, while also the added stress of making a good class in EO.  Too much planning and thinking.  I just want a simple game for right now.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

WOO! Finally managed to recruit another House member to the Golden Deer house in FE Three Houses! And it only took until the 2/8 date in game! Damn kids have too high of stat requirements for Byleth to join the house he teaches for. And of course the first one I managed to recruit was freaking Dorothea. 😘

I’ve actually gotten a fair bit of progress in. Byleth got a make over (and now I finally realize where the last few color schemes for Byleth originate from in Smash Ultimate) and got to see some cool cutscenes. Sucks it’s taken so much sacrifice just to obtain this new power and altered appearance, but it seems like it will be very helpful.

• Like 1

Finally started this game for a serious try yesterday. Going well so far. 5801f45abe3e9fd60a3ef8375a522cbc.jpg

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Finally started this game for a serious try yesterday. Going well so far. 5801f45abe3e9fd60a3ef8375a522cbc.jpg

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

• Like 3
You've got to be pretty careful with some of those fireworks
  • Like 2

hmm...

Would Minecraft Dungeons count as a RPG?

Hilda and Cyril’s Paralogue is the biggest piece of #$*! Paralogue chapter in Three Houses thus far. The enemies and map are so obnoxious, and it took way too many tries to beat it. I’ve been at it for the last hour or so, having to do full resets and using up all my Divine Pulse charges several times. I’m too stubborn to quit, but FINALLY I got the win once I figured out a good strategy for the messes the map throws at you. Thankfully the shield that was the reward for saving all the soldiers seems to be worth the effort, so at least I got a good trophy for the hassle.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
10 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:
hmm...

Would Minecraft Dungeons count as a RPG?

How Mystery Dungeony is it?

It's more like... hmm...

Diablo? ?_? ARPG?

I presume this is my repayment for waiting for Seiken Densetsu 3 to be officially localized since I learned of it in 1998.

EcMukYeXsAEcRb2.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh my, I now have 2, yes 2, of the characters from other houses who have joined the Golden Deers in FE Three Houses! It’s clearly a Christmas miracle guys. This time it was Caspar, and he seems to similar to Raphael personality wise. However, Raphael is more of a gentle giant take on the guy who likes to train type, while Caspar is the hot headed “LEROOOOY JENKINS!” sort.

On my phone I started playing Romancing SaGa Re:Universe. Seems to have that name due to characters from all the different SaGa games showing up to help the world. No reason given yet though. It is cool you can see what all games every character comes from as you obtain them via free draws or from using gems/tickets.

The game has been VERY generous with handing out bonuses and freebies, much like DQ of the Stars. No doubt it’s thanks to the global release of RS Universe. But even with that, I’ve gotten several SS ranked heroes from the free pulls. Pretty happy some of them have been from Romancing SaGa 2!

• Like 1

Almost done with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Not liking this at all. My kids have been bouncing off it quite a bit too. They're learning a hard lesson from this game.
(mind you, this is all on easy mode)

Crappy camera controls. Check.

Multiple multiple attempts at some bosses. Check.

Needing to spend a lot of time in menus for optimizing characters. Check.

Final boss is not final boss. Check.

Final final boss not dead when HP = 0. Gets up and fights again. Check.

Can't wait to finish & sell this. Not an enjoyable game for any of us really.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wait, Romancing SaGa 2 had characters? I thought they were all randos.

Ha, yeah. Romancing SaGa 2 may not have a lot of major named characters, but I have gotten a few. Two different versions of Gerard (one pre-emperor and the other post emperor), his older brother Victor, and the leader of the wind spirit people who live in the southeast part of the world.

Most of them have been class characters from RS2, and it seems like the different versions of the “character,” are repped by the different generation versions depending on if you have the SS version, A version, etc.

This game is reminding me I need to get back to Romancing SaGa 2. I have made some progress when I played it a few days ago, and am on the hunt for a Minstrel who can help me teach the wind people. I also reached a new town in the desert where one of the Seven Heroes seems to be hiding out.

• Like 1