cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

17 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7001d86a09ecfafdc816a136f2025279dc9bb8689&rid=giphy.gif

Oh....is that a bad thing?

Sorry XD

22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Started up SteamWorld Heist the other night. It seems to take place a long time after SteamWorld Dig, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be a direct sequel. More of a spin off in the same universe. I’ve found some references to Dig though, so that’s cool.

Anyway, it’s a strategy RPG where you explore different ships, take out enemy robots called Scrappers, and grab whatever loot you can. You have to use various boxes and empty oil drums as cover, as movement is all 2D based. You can equip different gun types that either have ricochet shots, spread shots, multi-shot, and so forth in order to dispatch enemies, and if you aim just right you can shoot the hats right off enemies and can take them for your own and equip them to any character.

So far I have 5 characters, and each character has their own skills and bonuses they can bring to the others. The captain of the crew, Piper, can use the Inspire command to improve different stats of characters who are directly next to her, and another has the Rage skill and can choose to increase his attack power the next turn if he was hit. There’s definitely thought needed for what Bots you use for missions.

I’m not sure how long the game is, but there’s 51 reputation stars I can earn right now, and so far I have 18 of them. You get 3 per mission max if you meet all the requirements. Maybe there is more to the game since the crew is around a particular planet and once they take out the Scrappers’ boss the next part of the game opens.

It’s been fun so far, and for it being a totally different gameplay style I think it plays pretty well.

Love that game so much. It's the only one I ever started over right after the credits rolled and I haven't done that with a game since. Plus, the developers are great people.

• Like 1

Love that game so much. It's the only one I ever started over right after the credits rolled and I haven't done that with a game since. Plus, the developers are great people.
I traded a few emails with their head dude when I got SteamWorld Quest last year weeks early and had questions in advance of my review. Super helpful guy!

Posted (edited)

So there is more to SteamWorld Heist after all. I figured the game was going to be short since SteamWorld Dig was only 5 hours, and I was nearing that mark in Heist. I obtained all the reputation stars in The Outskirts, and after returning to the bar I found that a new map opened up, this one called The Core. Getting closer to the planet, the rich purple turned into a bright and harsh red. Definitely not an inviting sight getting closer to a planet that’s exploded in pieces.

I now have 8 characters and I’ve been trying to keep everyone evenly leveled. The newest ones seems to be a Scrapper (one of the enemies) but he doesn’t seem evil or like he was under the control of their boss. Guess it’s time to see what awaits in the new world map.

Also, I found a hat shop after one of the missions. There were some funny hats and a section with some reference hats to other properties. I bought all but one of them. Didn’t want the last one at all even though I had enough cash for it, so it gets to stay behind since I don’t like the series it’s from. Wah wah waaaaaaah.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Got the urge to play some Earthbound this evening, so I plugged my SNES Mini back. Turns out my file was at the start of Magicant, so I finished the game off from there.

I will say, it was good to scratch the Earthbound itch. The ending portion of Earthbound is so damn good, and the mood shift in the final hour is still pretty creepy. I feel like the final battle with Giygas lost some of its impact on the SNES Mini due to the blurring effect they added in for certain games. I get that they did it to prevent epileptic seizures in those sensitive to flashing lights or the like, but it just makes the final battle a blurry mess to look at instead of being the terrifying imagery it should be.

Ah well. That’s just a case where I would break out my actual SNES and copy of the game to experience it on the actual hardware. Even with that meh-ness aside, I love the ending to Earthbound. Some great music, you can tour the world one more time and talk to everyone you helped along the way and see how things have changed, and you get that photo album of all the camera man locations while “Smiles and Tears,” plays. Absolutely love it all. I may have to do a full replay of Earthbound later this summer since it was 11 years ago in July I first played the game.

Maybe unsurprisingly beat Puzzle Quest this morning. I was looking for something easy to play in the car yesterday as we had a 4 hour drive and my wife (was) volunteered to drive most of it since it was Father's Day. Got in maybe 2.5 hours. Then I must've played 3 hours last night and another 2 this morning. Suddenly... boom! Bane is gone.

Game time was somewhere around 23 hours. Man, it felt much longer. I mean, it could be, but I did maybe only 10-20% of sidequests. Took over maybe 5 cities of the couple dozen or so and gave up finding runes after the first few hours. There's so much that can be done in this game, but I did that a decade ago, just wanted the thrill of victory again!

Man 2 weeks of vacation, 2 game clears. I wonder if I could finish up Grandia 2 or Battle Chasers before I head back. Would feel like a successful trip.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Maybe unsurprisingly beat Puzzle Quest this morning. I was looking for something easy to play in the car yesterday as we had a 4 hour drive and my wife (was) volunteered to drive most of it since it was Father's Day. Got in maybe 2.5 hours. Then I must've played 3 hours last night and another 2 this morning. Suddenly... boom! Bane is gone.

Game time was somewhere around 23 hours. Man, it felt much longer. I mean, it could be, but I did maybe only 10-20% of sidequests. Took over maybe 5 cities of the couple dozen or so and gave up finding runes after the first few hours. There's so much that can be done in this game, but I did that a decade ago, just wanted the thrill of victory again!

Man 2 weeks of vacation, 2 game clears. I wonder if I could finish up Grandia 2 or Battle Chasers before I head back. Would feel like a successful trip.

I stopped for now because I went really hard on the side quests and need to breathe lol. I did them all as they appeared. I ended up at 40 hours of total playtime and I’m only just at the Firewalker stuff.

I stopped for now because I went really hard on the side quests and need to breathe lol. I did them all as they appeared. I ended up at 40 hours of total playtime and I’m only just at the Firewalker stuff.
I easily had 50 hours on my DS copy I remember. Did it all back then. Maybe not 100%, but close.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Hell yes! Go for 3!

• Like 1

Uh oh.

unholy hole.png

Uh oh.

1524151908_unholyhole.png.a9ded8e00e806c9bf57ba499ca31470e.png
Didn't know there was a game based on my ex.
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
17 hours ago, Fates said:
Uh oh.

1524151908_unholyhole.png.a9ded8e00e806c9bf57ba499ca31470e.png

Didn't know there was a game based on my ex.

I didn't know there was a game based on me. 

Been playing the Genesis Collection on Switch again and just finished off Beyond Oasis, an Action RPG from 1994/1995. I had heard of the game a few years ago thanks to Yuzo Koshiro being behind the soundtrack, and it turns out it was handled by his company, Ancient.

The game’s plot was pretty simple: the lead character, Ali, discovers an ancient golden armlet, and from the spirit within it learns about its twin, the silver armlet. You have to travel the kingdom of Oasis and find the elemental spirits/powers of the armlet while trying to stop the new owner of the silver armlet.

I thought the game was good overall. Visually it’s a great looking game, with the cutscenes being well animated and the character and monster sprites being expressive. Backgrounds all looked good, and it had a cartoon like aesthetic to it. Gameplay was hit and miss, with platforming elements introduced further into the game being the biggest failure of the game. Fighting monsters felt fine, as you had a stab, a sweeping slash, and different techniques you could use by inputting different combinations on the D pad before hitting the attack button as well as some other weapons you could find. It was a bit like a fighting game.

The spirits could be a fun mechanic, but the water and shadow ones were by far the most useful. You get a healing ability with the water one (which is the first one you obtain mind you) and the shadow one can protect you from damage at the cost of the spirit meter taking hits instead of the health meter. Fire one was strong but hard to control, and the earth one felt like such a late game addition and really paled in comparison to the other three, and really should have either been the first one or just removed. I don’t think I needed him outside a few gates that only he could break.

Music and story were okay. Honestly its not the best soundtrack Koshiro has done, especially when compared to a lot of his other work in the Genesis, but it had a few good tracks like the main theme, the Forest Shrine dungeon, and the mountains music. I didn’t expect the story would be a sweeping narrative, but I’m disappointed they didn’t talk more about the spirits and the relationship with the golden armlet. There was a surprise at the ending for who the wielder of the silver armlet was, I’ll admit, but at the same time it didn’t have much impact on me since it was only mentioned once like halfway through the game, and I didn’t think it would come into play since it seemed kind of throwaway.

The biggest gripe I have is that there is just no explanation on any of the items you get. There were some special treasures I found that were added to the Status menu, but there’s no way to check in game what they are or if they did anything. Items and weapons you could see how much they’d heal for or how many uses they had, but key items? Nothing. Would it really have been too hard to implement some simple text boxes whenever you got these items so you knew what they were and what they did? Super Nintendo games like Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past and Super Metroid could do it, so I don’t see why this wasn’t done.

Despite my complaining, the game still had its good moments, and when it nailed something it was fun. Most of the dungeons were good, rewards for going out of the way/doing quick side activities were very helpful like the unlimited Omega Sword, and you could always easily check where to go next if you forgot what to do. It’s a short game and only took me 5 and half hours total to beat it, and while it definitely has problems that needed ironing out, it was a fun game for the most part.

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 12:20 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Got the urge to play some Earthbound this evening, so I plugged my SNES Mini back. Turns out my file was at the start of Magicant, so I finished the game off from there.

I will say, it was good to scratch the Earthbound itch. The ending portion of Earthbound is so damn good, and the mood shift in the final hour is still pretty creepy. I feel like the final battle with Giygas lost some of its impact on the SNES Mini due to the blurring effect they added in for certain games. I get that they did it to prevent epileptic seizures in those sensitive to flashing lights or the like, but it just makes the final battle a blurry mess to look at instead of being the terrifying imagery it should be.

Ah well. That’s just a case where I would break out my actual SNES and copy of the game to experience it on the actual hardware. Even with that meh-ness aside, I love the ending to Earthbound. Some great music, you can tour the world one more time and talk to everyone you helped along the way and see how things have changed, and you get that photo album of all the camera man locations while “Smiles and Tears,” plays. Absolutely love it all. I may have to do a full replay of Earthbound later this summer since it was 11 years ago in July I first played the game.

I'm up the the Pink Cloud dungeon in my file. EarthBound always reminds me of summer because when I first beat it in 2015 it was during the summer months. I'm glad I'm playing it on the original cart but if they release it on the Switch SNES app I'll absolutely play it again. I'm leaning more on the Starmen.net guide now instead of the Fangamer book since it's getting into the branching part of the game. I could honestly read the book as if it were a normal book but I'm using it mostly for maps now. I've said it before but, it used to be my favorite game but it's been put down a few notches on my list over the years. I think after this playthrough it's going to shoot right back up. The ending is what does it for me. It's one of my favorite end credit sequences. 

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

. It’s a short game and only took me 5 and half hours total to beat it.

Wow. 

That's VERY short for an RPG

As for me:

I got the Ultimate Key in DQ III, so now I need to remember where the hell to go to get all the orbs. 

I also had a significant battle with Team Aqua in Pokemon Emerald, and did my third battle with my Rival. I think I'm almost 11 hours in. 

42 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Wow. 

That's VERY short for an RPG.

I chalk it up to being an early Action RPG. Honestly I was fine with it, as sometimes you need that RPG fix but don’t want to play something that takes hours and hours to beat. It’s why I like to replay DQ1 or 2 every once and awhile since they can be finished pretty quickly.

That’s one reason I like Mario RPGs. You can play them and they usually take about 15-20 hours. I think that’s why Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and the first three Paper Mario games were some of my most replayed games when I was growing up.

Wow. 

As for me:

I got the Ultimate Key in DQ III, so now I need to remember where the hell to go to get all the orbs. 
I also had a significant battle with Team Aqua in Pokemon Emerald, and did my third battle with my Rival. I think I'm almost 11 hours in. 
How old is Ys 1? Is that about the same length?

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I chalk it up to being an early Action RPG. Honestly I was fine with it, as sometimes you need that RPG fix but don’t want to play something that takes hours and hours to beat. It’s why I like to replay DQ1 or 2 every once and awhile since they can be finished pretty quickly.

That’s one reason I like Mario RPGs. You can play them and they usually take about 15-20 hours. I think that’s why Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and the first three Paper Mario games were some of my most replayed games when I was growing up.

Yeah, I agree with that when it comes to DW1

15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
15 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
Wow. 

As for me:

How old is Ys 1? Is that about the same length?

No idea, never played the Ys games. 

Same length as in 5 hours??

Ok @DrippySlimeStar, I need help in SteamWorld Heist. I’m stuck in The Core mission, You Only Drill Twice. For the life of me I can’t survive this mission with any team combination I do, and the combination of the oil being blasted by the firefighter robots (who literally hit you with fire, mind) just kills my teams so damn fast and I can’t get past the first big room!

Ugh. I’ve liked the game up till now, but this mission has killed my progress and I’ve stepped away from the game because of it. I’d rather not lower the difficulty just to beat it, but I’m at a loss and I can’t find any useful guides online for some reason.

• Like 1

I had a weird freeze issue in DQ III last night. Thank goodness for the autosave feature. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been able to find a game that keeps my attention the last few days, so I decided to fire up Fire Emblem Three Houses again since I‘ve has strategy RPGs on the brain. Getting stuck in SteamWorld Heist did it.

Been doing the available Paralogues in Three Houses. Completed the one for Sothis where giant monsters kept appearing and had some close calls, and am currently trying to take care of Manuela and Hanneman’s Paralogue. For whatever reason Manuela ends up off on her own on the other side of the map, so I’m reclassing Leonie into a Pegasus Knight to see if she can reach Manuela in time and help protect her. She’s a bow user, and that will help with any of the enemy Pegasus Knights should they get too close.

I tried doing Raphael and Ignatz’s Paralogue, but man, it’s rough. Trying to protect all five merchants is not easy with how many enemies were on that map. Gonna try it again tonight or tomorrow after I rethink my party lineup and classes.

Posted (edited)

Woo! Managed to beat Raphael and Ignatz’s Paralogue chapter and save all the merchants! Changing Leonie to a Pegasus Knight has helped a ton already, and her speed plus some of the class changes I made really helped seal my victory. Still had some trouble with the giant wolves who assist the enemy, but got through dealing with them safely enough.

I like this Paralogue quite a bit since I’ve enjoyed Raphael and Ignatz’s interactions with the other members of the Golden Deer, and the ending cutscene shows there’s a lot more to Raphael and his feelings on his past than he let’s on. He comes across as such an easy going, goofy guy, so seeing him get genuinely mad and bothered is surprising.

I can be terribly slow at playing Fire Emblem games, but stuff like this is why I enjoy the series. Love the gameplay of course, but when you get character moments/development via Paralogues like this is cool to see.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Graveyard Keeper is awesome. Can't stop playing it. It's got the Stardew Valley feel to it without all the annoying NPC gift giving to deal with. Hits a dark humor too! I've probably put somewhere between 15-20 hours into it the past 5 days. So glad I finally bought it.

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I can be terribly slow at playing Fire Emblem games, but stuff like this is why I enjoy the series. Love the gameplay of course, but when you get character moments/development via Paralogues like this is cool to see.

Strategy RPGs play better when you slow down....at least in my experience. 

My FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, and Tactics Ogre playtimes probably reflect such experience. 

• Like 1

Graveyard Keeper is awesome. Can't stop playing it. It's got the Stardew Valley feel to it without all the annoying NPC gift giving to deal with. Hits a dark humor too! I've probably put somewhere between 15-20 hours into it the past 5 days. So glad I finally bought it.
I have a friend who got really sucked into and I've been meaning to give it a try ever since. There are just too many other games I'm addicted to at the moment.
  • Like 1