cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

If we’re gonna use this space for PS5 hype then I’m pumped for the new Spider-Man game but it’ll be awhile before I get a PS5. Still have a lot of PS4 games left to enjoy.

On 6/9/2020 at 6:44 PM, Plattym3 said:

Skipped it for a couple days, but put in more time today. Did the 2nd main dungeon, one with a choice of 2 merchants to kill, the armor guy or weapon one. Killed the armor guy so the weapon one would sell to me. Holy freaking cow! I literally doubled my attack power buying weapons from him. Not even close to the stuff being sold in town. Got through that dungeon and fought the hilarious battle to stop the damn cannon blocking my path.

I do enjoy it!

Yeah, If I remember correctly, gear comes into play a lot in being powerful enough to get through the game. 

And that's one of those things I had to do to enjoy this game was to slow down, enjoy the comedy and the dialogue, and take my time exploring. 

As for me, I spent a good chunk of time Grinding In DQ III, then this morning I finished Chapter 2 of DQ Builders and barely got going on Chapter 3. If I get any more gaming time today, I'll pop Rune Factory 4 in the Switch and get some tasks done. 

• Like 1

16 hours. I plowed through Golf Story in 16 hours in what? 3 or 4 days. Oh man, I don't even know what state I'm in, but it's pouring rain and my wife is doing a great job driving past midnight. Long night of driving ahead, but I already mastered digital golf driving, I got this.

Back to Battle Chasers tomorrow. Golf Story was quite awesome though! It's not a tough game to master, it's definitely Mario Golfish with very light RPG mechanics. Awesome writing and although I was frustrated by some course designs and whatnot, I was still hitting 5 to 8 under par on 9 hole courses, so it taught me well!

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

16 hours. I plowed through Golf Story in 16 hours in what? 3 or 4 days. Oh man, I don't even know what state I'm in, but it's pouring rain and my wife is doing a great job driving past midnight. Long night of driving ahead, but I already mastered digital golf driving, I got this.

Back to Battle Chasers tomorrow. Golf Story was quite awesome though! It's not a tough game to master, it's definitely Mario Golfish with very light RPG mechanics. Awesome writing and although I was frustrated by some course designs and whatnot, I was still hitting 5 to 8 under par on 9 hole courses, so it taught me well!

You might like the handheld Mario Golf games if you haven’t played them already. I’ve heard the original on Gameboy Color and the GBA game are great if you like RPG elements mixed in with golf. Never played them myself growing up, but I’ve always heard good things about them, particularly the GBA game.

You might like the handheld Mario Golf games if you haven’t played them already. I’ve heard the original on Gameboy Color and the GBA game are great if you like RPG elements mixed in with golf. Never played them myself growing up, but I’ve always heard good things about them, particularly the GBA game.
When I graduated college in 2000, a family I'd tutored and babysat for handed me a $250 gift card to the local mall. Having less than 24 hours left living in that city, I bought an N64 and Mario Golf becuase it was a game I'd played with those kids a lot. Yep, did the GBA one too shortly after. Great games. Golf Story played like them, looked like Stardew Valley, and had a great dry sense of humor the entire time.
  • Like 1

Ayyyyeee Persona 4 Golden is on Steam. RIP the last great Vita exclusive but I hope y’all PC players who haven’t played it before enjoy it.

Persona 4 Golden is definitely the best I have ever played. Never seen so much depth in a game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DOSBox woes, emulation lag in the keys? It added some extra forwards as I moved up this valley and put my new party probably close to level 2 now into the damage/lava(?) area, where they immediately died

emulator woes.png

Edited by Fates

Every time I think I'm just going to be chilling and doing tasks, random story events trigger in Rune Factory 4. The game just keeps on giving!!!

• Like 1

Ayyyyeee Persona 4 Golden is on Steam. RIP the last great Vita exclusive but I hope y’all PC players who haven’t played it before enjoy it.
Great game. Bleh platform. No me gusta PC. I will emulate fan translated games on it if I have to, but short of a few games I've played because of my time with RPGamer, Bleh. Zeboyd games I've purchased through Steam, but other than them, I think my PC library is single digits. Glad I hacked my Vita to skip having to play some games I wanted to emulate on PC.

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
On 6/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, eal said:

Great game. Bleh platform. No me gusta PC. I will emulate fan translated games on it if I have to, but short of a few games I've played because of my time with RPGamer, Bleh. Zeboyd games I've purchased through Steam, but other than them, I think my PC library is single digits. Glad I hacked my Vita to skip having to play some games I wanted to emulate on PC.

I also don’t really play on PC, but this has been something Atlus fans have been begging them for forever. And it’s working out for them apparently. I saw that there was a high of 20,000+ concurrent players on Steam, which is great for a non-MMO. This also means they made $400,000 at the very least in a day on a PC port of an old, yet beloved, game. This is clearly them testing the waters and I’m sure there will be a trickle of Atlus JRPGs coming to PC over the next year.

Speaking of Zeboyd, I’m hoping we get a Switch or, God willing, Vita port of Cthulhu Saves Christmas. This is old news by now but it tickles me pink because me and my co-workers were workshopping a Christmas themed RPG as a joke since I was wondering why there never was one, and this was maybe two days before I found out about Cthulhu saves Christmas.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I will emulate fan translated games on it if I have to, but short of a few games I've played because of my time with RPGamer, Bleh. Zeboyd games I've purchased through Steam, but other than them, I think my PC library is single digits. Glad I hacked my Vita to skip having to play some games I wanted to emulate on PC.

Steam was good in college for stuff like Team Fortress 2 and SNK’s Steam versions of the King of Fighters games. I bought the Steam version of KoF13 and I didn’t regret it. I enjoyed playing it on my Xbox 360 (it was one of the few games that actually made me keep it plugged in) but having it on Steam was SO much better since I had it on my laptop. Plus it had all the extra stuff SNK released post launch, including all of the DLC/EX versions of characters that you originally had to pay for.

I’d get Steam again on my new laptop just for Team Fortress 2 and those KoF Steam releases, but honestly I’ve never been a PC gamer. I enjoyed stuff like Rollar Coaster Tycoon 2, Lionel Train Town, and the Humongous Entertainment games as a kid, but I’ve always found consoles and handhelds more inviting for my gaming time.

However, I will give PCs props for being able to let you play fan translations. Definitely don’t regret playing the Mother 3 fan translation and the SNES version of DQ3 on my old laptop.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I also don’t really play on PC, but this has been something Atlus fans have been begging them for forever. And it’s working out for them apparently. I saw that there was a high of 20,000+ concurrent players on Steam, which is great for a non-MMO. This also means they made $400,000 at the very least in a day on a PC port of an old, yet beloved, game. This is clearly them testing the waters and I’m sure there will be a trickle of Atlus JRPGs coming to PC over the next year.
Speaking of Zeboyd, I’m hoping we get a Switch or, God willing, Vita port of Cthulhu Saves Christmas. This is old news by now but it tickles me pink because me and my co-workers were workshopping a Christmas themed RPG as a joke since I was wondering why there never was one, and this was maybe two days before I found out about Cthulhu saves Christmas.
So the owner of RPGamer works on the video game industry in marketing. She knows the Zeboyd people pretty well and has been a character in a couple of their games (the cat named Paws, her online handle). She assures me that ports are highly likely. We both played Chuthlu Saves Christmas & both lamented on podcasts how there are like 3-4 times as many Rylethionship scenes as 1 playthrough allows us see (arguably the funniest part of the game), but no option for a New Game+. She said she has a sneaking suspicion they're saving that for console release.

Also, their current game they're working on is some sort of Magical Girl Shakespearian game.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Also, their current game they're working on is some sort of Magical Girl Shakespearian game.

It’s like they’re following me around.

• Like 1

You say that like you don't already know that they are.

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, eal said:

It’s like the time I said I hated Rush, a sentiment I’ve only vocalized once, when one of their terrible songs was on the radio at work, and a couple hours later I found out the drummer died that day.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
3 hours ago, eal said:

I think DQ III (Switch) is getting more consistent attention than any other games at the moment. I have completed one of two battles with a certain Queenly Serpent. 

In Pokemon Emerald, I just got to Slateport and triggered the story events. 

DQ Builders, still in the beginning of Chapter 3

Rune Factory 4 - Trying to keep up my farm and go fight monsters. Tis a battle of time-management. 

17 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I think DQ III (Switch) is getting more consistent attention than any other games at the moment. I have completed one of two battles with a certain Queenly Serpent. 

This happens to me too whenever I replay DQ3. If I have other games going DQ3 just steals that time away. It’s a sign of quality as far as I’m concerned.

20 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This happens to me too whenever I replay DQ3. If I have other games going DQ3 just steals that time away. It’s a sign of quality as far as I’m concerned.

Agreed!

Any game that sucks me in like this (keeps me playing way more than I thought I would) has to be a good one. Especially when I'm spreading my time between 4 games. 

• Like 1

With Golf Story out of the way and after a few frantic days going crazy with Dragon Quest Rivals, I've put in a few more hours with Battle Chasers: Nightwar. Redid a dungeon on a harder difficulty to get some better armor and then finished off the Junktown area. Getting more used to the pace of the game. Was pleased to look it up on Howlongtobeat.com and see it was mid-20s in terms of game length. I guess I'd never checked there, just had been going from the RPGamer review that said 40-60 and somehow had the number 55 hours in my head. Not a bad game, but I feel like I'm closer to halfway than I am to only 20%.

@cprmauldin How long do you estimate Battle Chasers took you to beat?

Agreed!

Any game that sucks me in like this (keeps me playing way more than I thought I would) has to be a good one. Especially when I'm spreading my time between 4 games. 
Oh yeah. 1 game invariably pulls the most attention. Until another one does!

14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

@cprmauldin How long do you estimate Battle Chasers took you to beat?

Oh yeah. 1 game invariably pulls the most attention. Until another one does!

I think it took me roughly 60-70 hours. 

My Switch says 65 plus.

I think it took me roughly 60-70 hours. 

My Switch says 65 plus.
giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7001d86a09ecfafdc816a136f2025279dc9bb8689&rid=giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

Started up SteamWorld Heist the other night. It seems to take place a long time after SteamWorld Dig, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be a direct sequel. More of a spin off in the same universe. I’ve found some references to Dig though, so that’s cool.

Anyway, it’s a strategy RPG where you explore different ships, take out enemy robots called Scrappers, and grab whatever loot you can. You have to use various boxes and empty oil drums as cover, as movement is all 2D based. You can equip different gun types that either have ricochet shots, spread shots, multi-shot, and so forth in order to dispatch enemies, and if you aim just right you can shoot the hats right off enemies and can take them for your own and equip them to any character.

So far I have 5 characters, and each character has their own skills and bonuses they can bring to the others. The captain of the crew, Piper, can use the Inspire command to improve different stats of characters who are directly next to her, and another has the Rage skill and can choose to increase his attack power the next turn if he was hit. There’s definitely thought needed for what Bots you use for missions.

I’m not sure how long the game is, but there’s 51 reputation stars I can earn right now, and so far I have 18 of them. You get 3 per mission max if you meet all the requirements. Maybe there is more to the game since the crew is around a particular planet and once they take out the Scrappers’ boss the next part of the game opens.

It’s been fun so far, and for it being a totally different gameplay style I think it plays pretty well.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1