cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

23 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I've officially made it further in Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS than I have before! I just got done with Altrades Abbey but I'm a bit confused on how classes & skills work. It seems to be like 6 where you gain skills for the class, but, if I switch to another class...at least on the same "level" I'll keep the skills for all classes I've gained them in. It's when I go to the next level, with more advanced classes, that I'll lose skills I've had the whole time. Do I have that right? That makes me not want to master anything but basic classes.

All Basic class spells and abilities will be passed on to every other class. Intermediate and Advanced classes all have spells and abilities they can learn, but will only be accessible when a character is in that class, meaning every class has its uses and strengths.

Monster Classes gain via Monster Hearts will permanently give the character the spells/abilities from it, much like Basic classes. So, if a Monster Class has something like C-c-cold Breath or Kafrizzle, once the character learns it, they will permanently have it.

23 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

At this point I’m just trying to rush it (somewhat) so I can finally beat the damn game. Thankfully with chapter 2 all building plans still exist in your status menu, so at least it’s easy to level up the village quickly to get some extra HP. Only problem I’m having now is the lack of certain materials to build specific stuff, namely the Colossal Coffer so I can collect stuff like crazy without having to run back to town all the time.

Oh Yeah, i couldn't wait to get that damn thing built. I have it now and I totally took it for granted in Chapter 1

33 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I've officially made it further in Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS than I have before! I just got done with Altrades Abbey but I'm a bit confused on how classes & skills work. It seems to be like 6 where you gain skills for the class, but, if I switch to another class...at least on the same "level" I'll keep the skills for all classes I've gained them in. It's when I go to the next level, with more advanced classes, that I'll lose skills I've had the whole time. Do I have that right? That makes me not want to master anything but basic classes.

Yeah you basically start over Level-Wise when you pick a new class. But you can save skills. 

I'm not going to lie, it's not necessary to get to the upper-tier classes to beat the game. But its a hell of a lot more fun. 

As for me:

DQ Builders - Still chugging along in Chapter 2. As I mentioned before, it's very east to get distracted and goof-off on building my base. 

DQ III (Switch) - I'm slowly remembering how to get through this damn pyramid. I wish I had a better memory for this stuff, but having to stumble around forced me to level my party up a bit. 

Pokemon Emerald - Got my first Gym Badge. Party Consists of Mudkip, Poochyena, Shroomish, Marill, Wingull, and Whismur and they are all around level 11/12/13. 

Rune Factory 4 Special - I need to to pop this in a play a bit this week. I've got town requests to knock down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

All Basic class spells and abilities will be passed on to every other class. Intermediate and Advanced classes all have spells and abilities they can learn, but will only be accessible when a character is in that class, meaning every class has its uses and strengths.

Monster Classes gain via Monster Hearts will permanently give the character the spells/abilities from it, much like Basic classes. So, if a Monster Class has something like C-c-cold Breath or Kafrizzle, once the character learns it, they will permanently have it.

Okay that makes more sense. It seems to make things balanced as well.

A buddy bought me a copy of Dark Souls Remastered. So I have been playing that on and off. I am actually really enjoying it. After 3 months of non-stop Animal Crossing it is nice to play something that is providing a decent challenge for once. Not to sound like an elitist or anything, but this game isn't as hard as I expected. But that will probably change late game.

I also started up PSO2. I haven't had much time on it yet, but will probably start playing it a lot this weekend. If anyone plays on Feoh, hit me up!

I’m in Chapter 5 of Bug Fables. Finally learned the backstory for Kabbu, and due to some side exploration, I found out who exactly Leif is. I must say, I wasn’t expecting Leif’s story to be the way it was, and I was caught off guard by it. The side area you find this out in had an Etrian post game feel to it, in that you learn some shocking information about the old world of the game’s universe.

The devs put a lot of thought and detail into the lore of Bug Fables, and I have to really give them credit for it. It’s genuinely interesting, as are many of the characters. These guys can definitely make an engaging world to explore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Okay that makes more sense. It seems to make things balanced as well.

I grinded up some classes last night and have my party where I want them now. I have Hero as a Paladin, Maribel as a Sage, and Ruff as a Gladiator. I know I get two more party members but I'm not sure what to do with the girl. Melvin will likely be another Gladiator since I like my RPG parties to have 2 heavy hitters, a "hybrid" class that can heal and hit well, and a dedicated Mage.

Been methodically working through Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 with both of my sons, age 6 & 4. That's been one hell of an adventure (especially the 4 year old)... the game itself is a mixed bag. There's like 60+ people to play as in a party of 4 and people not participating don't get experience. WTF is up with that. Hard to change memebers at that point, but we've pretty much got in a rhythm of my oldest loves Spid-ermAn, I enjoy switching between Hulk and Vemom, and my youngest usually wants to play as whoever we just opened. He was Deadpool for an hour, now Ghost Rider.

Honestly, some might find it a bit weird, but my kids and I are making some lasting memories. We've had a couple boss battles where we've taken 4-5 times to win, usually because we don't know the boss mechanics and my youngest can't do special attacks or revive yet (he just runs around screaming and smashing A). But today we were fighting one of Dr. Strange's enemies in some other worldly zone and he was a #$*!. Hard to see what to do because the screen was filled with monsters and there were turrets off both sides hitting us (have I mentioned camera control is HORRIBLE, especially in multiplayer mode). Well, eventually Hulk died and I did a bunch of damage with Venom and he died. We used up our revives and my kids were the only ones left. My 4 year old just ran around going crazy until he died, but my oldest was insanely precise, doing the final 25% completely on his own with the gimmicky energy bombs the boss was spewing out. We all screamed and cheered for quite a while. Kinda like team-building exercises at work, I feel like we're really bonding over this.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Honestly, some might find it a bit weird, but my kids and I are making some lasting memories. We've had a couple boss battles where we've taken 4-5 times to win, usually because we don't know the boss mechanics and my youngest can't do special attacks or revive yet (he just runs around screaming and smashing A). But today we were fighting one of Dr. Strange's enemies in some other worldly zone and he was a #$*!. Hard to see what to do because the screen was filled with monsters and there were turrets off both sides hitting us (have I mentioned camera control is HORRIBLE, especially in multiplayer mode). Well, eventually Hulk died and I did a bunch of damage with Venom and he died. We used up our revives and my kids were the only ones left. My 4 year old just ran around going crazy until he died, but my oldest was insanely precise, doing the final 25% completely on his own with the gimmicky energy bombs the boss was spewing out. We all screamed and cheered for quite a while. Kinda like team-building exercises at work, I feel like we're really bonding over this.

I don’t think it’s weird at all. It reminds me of the gaming memories I have with my dad and how we would play stuff like Super Mario 64 together and how he and I would go back and forth on making some progress in Banjo-Tooie. One day I got home from school and saw that an area was open in the first world that I couldn’t figure out HOW to open, and I remember being so amazed by that.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s weird at all. It reminds me of the gaming memories I have with my dad and how we would play stuff like Super Mario 64 together and how he and I would go back and forth on making some progress in Banjo-Tooie. One day I got home from school and saw that an area was open in the first world that I couldn’t figure out HOW to open, and I remember being so amazed by that.
That's awesome. We'll be back in the good ole days of games like that pretty soon, taking turns. There are only so many couch co-op games out there & you know I prefer my RPGs. Thanks to quarantine & such we've knocked out Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Let's Go Pikachu, and Luigi's Mansion together since Christmas. It's a furious pace and now it's summer, so still more time.

This is amazing. I can't wait till my baby boy is old enough to play with me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That's awesome. We'll be back in the good ole days of games like that pretty soon, taking turns. There are only so many couch co-op games out there & you know I prefer my RPGs. Thanks to quarantine & such we've knocked out Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Let's Go Pikachu, and Luigi's Mansion together since Christmas. It's a furious pace and now it's summer, so still more time.

I will say that Mario games are always good for making memories. I have plenty from times when I played the N64 and GameCube games with friends and family. When I first got my GameCube the first game I got was Mario Party 4, and my cousin and I played through every board and learned the boards and mini games together. I don’t remember ever playing Mario Party with my dad, but I think we may have played Mario Party 2 on the N64 a few times together.

I’m in Chapter 6 of Bug Fables. Things went sour real fast in Chapter 5 and the villain of the game is taking action to try and beat everyone to the Eternal Sapling. Throughout the story there’s been hints and foreshadowing towards the antagonists of the game’s world, but I was wondering why the villain was being kept under wraps. Certainly doesn’t seem like he fits in with the bug species that he’s apart of though.

What I find funny is that apparently the Sapling is in the Giant’s Lair, which the bug people believe was where the former rulers of the lands lived. I like it, but I’m laughing as it reminds me of Pikmin. Olimar in Pikmin 2 makes notes on all the “treasures,” he finds, when all the “treasures” are everyday objects to us, like batteries, plastic rings, fruit cans, and so forth. Sometimes Olimar makes comment on the large size of certain objects, and genuinely is terrified of the notion of what kind of creatures used to live on the Pikmin’s planet.

One more thing to note, and it’s a minor spoiler for those who care: some of the side quests aren’t marked in your book or the respective areas, and because of that you find some cool surprises for exploring and going the extra mile. One cave I was finally able to entered had a boss that, upon being beaten, dropped a seed. Going to the Bee Kingdom, I found that one of the scientists wanted the seed, and next thing I knew I had a new tag along character, the little plant! You even get to name it too, so that was a fun surprise. The little guy even helps out in battles, and I’m wondering if it will become stronger after so many battles.spacer.png

I got a physical copy of EarthBound yesterday so I started playing that. It used to be my favorite game but I told myself I wanted a physical copy since 2015. It's awesome playing on a physical cart.

• Like 1

Finished up Persona 5 Dancing. At this rate I should easily be done with my Vita backlog by 2030!

On 6/3/2020 at 9:29 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One more thing to note, and it’s a minor spoiler for those who care: some of the side quests aren’t marked in your book or the respective areas, and because of that you find some cool surprises for exploring and going the extra mile. One cave I was finally able to entered had a boss that, upon being beaten, dropped a seed. Going to the Bee Kingdom, I found that one of the scientists wanted the seed, and next thing I knew I had a new tag along character, the little plant! You even get to name it too, so that was a fun surprise. The little guy even helps out in battles, and I’m wondering if it will become stronger after so many battles.spacer.png

Turns out I was right on making the plant buddy stronger. When I went back to the Hive I found a new accessory available at the store. Didn’t seem to do anything in the inventory and seeing if it was an equipment Medal resulted in nothing too. BUT! Once I went back to the lab where you first get the plant, I was actually able to equip it with the accessory, and suddenly it’s damage dealt in battle jumped up!

Fashion is power I guess!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Finished up Persona 5 Dancing. At this rate I should easily be done with my Vita backlog by 2030!

Which did you think had better songs? 5 or 3?

3. By a good amount

8 hours ago, eal said:

3. By a good amount

Oh wow. Not into the acid jazz or whatever of Persona 5? It’s hard to make a lot of that music work as dance music compared to P3.

• Like 1

Oh wow. Not into the acid jazz or whatever of Persona 5? It’s hard to make a lot of that music work as dance music compared to P3.
Nah. Took about 7 hours this time compared to 10 for P3 Dancing. Knowing how the game worked better was part of it, but literally gunning for certain things and picking songs based on length to get what I needed to advance was a bigger part. Just didn't enjoy that music as much. I'm now glad I gave P3 a 3.5 and the other guy gave this a 3.0 when we both reviewed them simultaneously at release.

Wanted to simplify vacation packing this year. Headed out for a few weeks and don't want the Vita AND 3DS AND Switch. Planning on just bringing the Switch (ok, maybe the Vita too). Got Grandia 2 to finish up, Puzzle Quest for kicks, and I've started something new.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar has been on my radar for a long time. I bought it ages ago for my Switch, but didn't plug it in until last night. Put in 5 hours now. I do enjoy it, and it's reminding me a bit of the fun I had with Child of Light. Wheres that game played out like an awesome kids' storybook, this one is playing out like a comic book set in SteamWorld's cyberpunk/fantasy setting. I really enjoy the art style, it's definitely something I don't see a lot in the RPGs I play.

So far so good, but man, everything is SLOW. Like, a slog slow. From walking to battles, to just about every aspect, I feel like it's 25-50% slower than it needs to be. Seems like a common complaint about the game too. Oh well, putting on a podcast and playing all night doesn't have to be super fast, but this might take some effort.

6ac69cf6c7dd4ce6a8eee1c3f544b9af.jpg

And OMG, THE LOADING SCREENS! Like Dragon Quest Builders 2 bad.

Posted (edited)

Argh there’s a bug that causes Puzzle Quest to crash when fighting Bloodsinger, the boss of the Golem quest line. There’s no move that either of us are making to cause the game to crash, it just happens randomly during the battle. This is not an accidental, one-time thing either. I’ve fought her about 5 times now with the same result.

EDIT: figured it out. She’s a Blood Mage like me, and as soon as she’s able, she activates Soul Bond, which causes you to take any damage you dish out to her. She has it going at all times, so it’s almost impossible to beat her since he health is so much higher then mine. If I also try to use Soul Bond, the second one of us does damage, the game crashes.

Edited by eal

Argh there’s a bug that causes Puzzle Quest to crash when fighting Bloodsinger, the boss of the Golem quest line. There’s no move that either of us are making to cause the game to crash, it just happens randomly during the battle. This is not an accidental, one-time thing either. I’ve fought her about 5 times now with the same result.
EDIT: figured it out. She’s a Blood Mage like me, and as soon as she’s able, she activates Soul Bond, which causes you to take any damage you dish out to her. She has it going at all times, so it’s almost impossible to beat her since he health is so much higher then mine. If I also try to use Soul Bond, the second one of us does damage, the game crashes.
Well, damn. That's definitely not good.

🤔

27984EBD-AA72-4F60-8562-D71B8709E5D1.thumb.jpeg.957101ecdad284d52cdd64d8ac2ec769.jpeg

Finished off Bug Fables! Chapter 6 and 7 were both pretty good, with Chapter 7 being a great ending for the game. For spoilers sake, I’ll talk about it in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Chapter 7 has you entering the Giant’s Lair, a place briefly mentioned here and there in the game. I was expecting an empty house from the look of it, but man, it was actually way more creepy than that. The inside of the house is all torn up with garbage scattered everywhere, there is this constant purple smoke throughout the “land,” and there’s a number of chimera like creatures called the Dead Landers. Each of them is classified with a letter from the Greek alphabet, and look like experiments gone wrong or something. One of them, for reference, looks like a spider with a doll’s eye in the middle of its head, a spore covered body, and a giant crab like claw that can deal a ton of damage to a party member. It’s almost like each creature is one of the toy’s from Toy Story that Sid slapped together...

Whats creepier is the giant eye monster that stalks you, and you never find out what exactly it is! You just see it’s giant yellow eye looking around, and depending on its location you can see it’s hands, which are long, thing, and a sickly color. The party will even flat out say they are just doing their best to IGNORE the eyeball monster, and by the end of the chapter you get no explanation! It was genuinely kind of creepy.

Anyway, in the second half of the chapter, you find out that the Roach race is still alive, but just barely! A few of them are living in the highest reaches of the Giant’s Lair, and have been protecting the fabled Everlasting Sapling for generations for no real reason other than that they have always been told too. Cutscenes happen, you continue to chase the big bad, and...the tree actually exists, but is in a very sad state. This really pisses off the main antagonist, who goes so far as to start eating the sapling just to try and obtain its power! This backfires and cues up the final boss fight, which was a great battle. It really incorporates all the strengths each of the team members has, so everyone pulls their weight to win the day.

After the chapter ends, there’s a big celebration with nearly every NPC showing up to say thanks and congrats, the trio of Vi, Kabbu and Leif are given high honors, and the credits roll showing all the places you traveled too and many of the characters you met with a very nice credits theme playing.

Seems like the game isn’t over yet though! Upon saving your data the team talks amongst themselves with Kabbu mentioning he would like to return north to see some friends. Guess we have a post game to get into, not to mention finding any missing recipes, medals, and finish off a few new quests and challenge content that is available.

I very much enjoyed Bug Fables. It was a wonderful game from beginning to end. The Paper Mario influence is certainly present, but there was so much to the game that made it feel unique and fun that I never really thought about the series that inspired it after awhile. There’s a lot of wonderful things about Bug Fables, one of those things being the fantastic writing, and another being the importance of team work being portrayed by the strengths and weaknesses of each character in and out of battle.

I’m glad I pre-bought the game, and definitely recommend it if you are looking for a new RPG for the Switch. There’s a lot to love here, and I think people will enjoy it whether they enjoy the Paper Mario games or are looking for something new to sink their teeth into.