cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

I got a new, sealed copy of Dragon Warrior 7 from a local store. This prompted me to play try the 3DS version again and for whatever reason none of my previous problems have resurfaced. I'd say I can't put it down. I'm not sure what changed this time but the backtracking isn't as bad using Chimera Wings or Zoom. I'm not talking to every single NPC or breaking every barrel so the pace is moving at a great pace. In battles and text you can use A, X, L, and R to move to the next option and it feels like that moves things along at a brisker pace as well. I think I'm gonna finish it this time.

20200522_111028.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got the means to fly in DQ11 S and managed to land the Jackpot twice on the Roulette tables in Octogonia. Hearing the flying theme in orchestral form in game at last was so awesome. It was one of my favorite songs from the symphonic suite when I got it two years ago, and it makes the appearance of 

Spoiler

Cetacea

all the more grand.

Now to head to the three locations to try and create a Sword of Light.

Played around with blacksmithing in DQX yesterday. Built up my level a bit, but looked like I was not going to get anywhere near a better weapon. Here I am maxed out at level 50 and I have an axe meant for level 21 peeps. Oh well. Onwards...

To the final boss of Verizon 1. I'm going to take it on later tonight. I've time traveled, race swapped, walked, walked, walked, walked, walked, fought once or twice, walked, walked, walked, walked, walked, and walked some more. One more palace to get to with the boss at the end.

Time: 32 hours.

Obviously there's tons more to do. I could raise my level cap, increase inventory space, play around with other jobs, random quests, 4 more major emblems I could go after, and lots more world exploration, but the language barrier is getting to me. Maybe I'll do more after I beat it, maybe not. It's been fun, but it's so so so much walking & empty space.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

To the final boss of Verizon 1.

Is it 5G? Watch out, he gives the Coronavirus status ailment to your party.

Is it 5G? Watch out, he gives the Coronavirus status ailment to your party.
I think Verizon hacked my autocorrect.

Don't worry though, I have plenty of antidote herbs. I think. I mean, maybe. Hell, I don't know, it's all Japanese to me!

22 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I got a new, sealed copy of Dragon Warrior 7 from a local store. This prompted me to play try the 3DS version again and for whatever reason none of my previous problems have resurfaced. I'd say I can't put it down. I'm not sure what changed this time but the backtracking isn't as bad using Chimera Wings or Zoom. I'm not talking to every single NPC or breaking every barrel so the pace is moving at a great pace. In battles and text you can use A, X, L, and R to move to the next option and it feels like that moves things along at a brisker pace as well. I think I'm gonna finish it this time.

20200522_111028.jpg

EXCELLENT PURCHASE.

Years ago, I decided to order it from Amazon, albeit not brand new, and It was one of the better gaming decisions I've made. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

EXCELLENT PURCHASE.

Years ago, I decided to order it from Amazon, albeit not brand new, and It was one of the better gaming decisions I've made. 

I don't think I'm going to open it. If pricecharting.com is anything to go by, that's $50 worth of shrink wrap lol. The store I got it from is a "chain" based in New England and one of my favorite stores ever. Such a great staff and friendly atmosphere. 

In DQ11S I’ve gotten the ore from the Battleground and have completed the events in Act 2 Gallopolis. I’m impressed with how they handled a certain character in the different language options, but I’ll put that in a spoiler tag just to be safe...

Spoiler

After seeing the cutscene involving the falling star of Erdwin, I went to the Medal Acadmey to watch the cutscene again with the Japanese voices and without voices. This is your first encounter with Calasmos, and in his Japanese voice he still speaks in a squeaky tone in his Tockle form. However, I’m pretty sure his dialogue was reversed. It sounded like it anyway, and if that is the case it fits for a creature like Calasmos.

Meanwhile, without voices on, he used the normal low sounding text voice characters like old men or big guys use. However, when Mordegon showed up and spoke his few lines in that cutscene, he actually used the deep sounding text speech voice! I’ve only ever heard this used for the one time Calasmos speaks via text only in the post game, so hearing Mordegon use it in his Lord of Shadows State was very interesting.

I know it’s just a series of sound effects to create a “voice” without the voice acting on, but that deep sound is kind of creepy and fitting for a dark being.

Now it’s off to Mt. Huji for the final part of the Sword making quest.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I don't think I'm going to open it. If pricecharting.com is anything to go by, that's $50 worth of shrink wrap lol. The store I got it from is a "chain" based in New England and one of my favorite stores ever. Such a great staff and friendly atmosphere. 

Yep. I agree with that decision lol. That value is going to go up and up and up. 

Beat the DQX version 1 boss late last night. It was a fun game. Not sure if I'll continue; tonight's the first night I haven't given it a single minute in 12 days, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Not enthralled enough to spend any money on it since I can't read anything, and the battle system didn't appeal to me, but I'm glad I played. 85e5258ebf20db6fe80ec4302cae2f8f.jpg371f34bdad1d823a2ee8dfd18c55e93a.jpg2d04a598ee21dfeced217af29262732d.jpg

got the PC98 Ultima collection, messing with Ultima III there... some pics below.

They come with the Anex86 emulator. It's tricky to work with, but in english so you can read the settings at least.

u3 battle.PNG

u3 jp dungeon door.PNG

u3 jp dungeon.PNG

U3 jp.PNG

Been doing sidequests and working on the Alters of the Past in Tickington in DQ11S. By chance, the first Alter I fully completed was the Alter of the Forgotten Past, aka the DQ7 alter. Completing it not only showed off what became of good ol’ Kiefer and what awaits him in the near future, but upon returning to Tickington a statue of the DQ7 hero showed up! That’s actually really cool that you get that as a “reward,” for fully helping fix the wrongs of each DQ world from the past games.

Seems a little too fitting the first one I finished off was DQ7’s. I didn’t think it would be, so I find that kind of funny.

Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) - Getting 30 mins to an hour a day with this one. It's usually just enough time to complete a quest and get distracted goofing around for a bit. Which is cool, I'm in no rush to beat this game. I am enjoying it immensely. 

Dragon Quest III (Switch) - I'm actually pretty hooked! I love the quick save feature as I normally play in quick 15-20 minute bursts throughout the day. Only issue is a time or two I've forgot where I'm going/what I am doing. No sweat though, that normally just results in some inadvertent leveling/grinding while I figure it out. I've got the classic Hero, Warrior, Priest, Mage party. 

Rune Factory 4 : Special - Just doing some things around town, small quests, and leveling. This game has gotten the least playtime over this last week, but plenty to stay connected to it. 

...Also, my custom GBA is supposed to come in the mail today and Caravan Heart a bit later in the week, so I'm sure I'll have plenty more to post in a few days. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Finished off Hotto/Mt. Huji in DQ11S. I actually did alright against the boss of Mt. Huji this time around. First time playing the game on PS4 that boss made mincemeat out of my party. I think it ended up down to two party members but somehow won if I remember right. Really glad history didn’t repeat itself with that, and it’s thanks to Serena and Rab’s support spells and healing.

And with Mt. Huji finished, I’ve finally created the Sword of Light for MopTopMoS!! Time to take the fight to the Fortress of Fear.

Musically, it was so nice to hear “Small Shrine,” from DQ3 in its orchestral form when The Crucible appeared to help forge the sword. Man, that’s one of my favorite DQ songs, and I totally forgot it played in that area! Super nice to hear the song in game, especially in that beautiful symphonic suite style. Those strings just nail the mystery and wonder the song tries to envoke, totally fitting the environment they used the song for in DQ11.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Was so bored with what I've been playing of Radiant Historia, I just went to bed at 9pm last night. Of course that means 2am I was up and ready to play!

Went back to Puzzle Quest, reorientated myself where I was in the game and got a few hours in. Glad that took, needed something to play!

On 5/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, cprmauldin said:

...Also, my custom GBA is supposed to come in the mail today and Caravan Heart a bit later in the week, so I'm sure I'll have plenty more to post in a few days. 

It came, as did Caravan Heart. However, I decided with DQ III and DQ Builders both on my plate, I'd save Caravan Heart for when I need some DQ in my life. 

...So I started Pokemon Emerald. I'm an hour in. 

• Like 1

Phew! Finished off Dragon Quest XI S! The Lord of Shadows is no more and the credits have rolled! It was touch and go with the first part of the final boss fight, but the second half was a lot more manageable. It felt like they better balanced the final fight(s) with Strong Enemies active, and that goes double for the second to last boss too.

Feels good to final have beaten Act 2 of Dragon Quest XI S. I know there’s still a lot of the game left, but I consider Act 3 the post game so it’s not something I’m going to jump in. I’m a bit like @Plattym3 in that I don’t like to play through post game content again if I’ve already experienced it once, but I’m sure the itch to return to some Dragon Quest will come a knockin’ again soon. Besides, at some point I’d like to fully play through 2D mode, this time in a language I can actual understand unlike the Nintendo 3DS version! 🤣

• Like 2

Got some bad news last night. Needed mindless gaming.

3.5 hours of Persona 5 Dancing later...

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Got some bad news last night. Needed mindless gaming.

3.5 hours of Persona 5 Dancing later...

I hope everything turns out okay for you. 

• Like 1

Been playing the Switch version of DQ Builders 1. I was listening to something on Friday and didn’t want to be distracted by it when playing Bug Fables, so I popped Builders in since you don’t have to focus as much...and next thing I know I’m close to getting the third Teleportal in Chapter 1! Oops.

It’s been fun playing the game again though. I do have the problem of wanting to improve the town and not focus on the townspeople’s quests. I’ve built the town of Cantlin WAY differently than I did on the PS4 version.

Also, totally a fan of how the game is on Switch when in handheld mode.

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Been playing the Switch version of DQ Builders 1. I was listening to something on Friday and didn’t want to be distracted by it when playing Bug Fables, so I popped Builders in since you don’t have to focus as much...and next thing I know I’m close to getting the third Teleportal in Chapter 1! Oops.

It’s been fun playing the game again though. I do have the problem of wanting to improve the town and not focus on the townspeople’s quests. I’ve built the town of Cantlin WAY differently than I did on the PS4 version.

Also, totally a fan of how the game is on Switch when in handheld mode.

Oh Yeah, I'm in Chapter 2 of Builders on PS4 and I keep getting distracted upgrading my base. 

3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh Yeah, I'm in Chapter 2 of Builders on PS4 and I keep getting distracted upgrading my base. 

Ha, same thing happens every time I try and play Builders! I love the game, but one thing or another distracts me away from it! It’s why it’s been on my Limbo List for a few years now!

But, I’m now one step closer to trying to beat it. I just finished Chapter 1 on the Switch version a few hours ago and managed to complete all the Chapter Challenges. Creating the Cantlin Garden was the hardest one to get, and I’ll be honest, I had to look up how to do it. I assumed since I built in a garden in my town I would complete it, but apparently the Cantlin Garden is it’s own building recipe, not just a garden created within the town. The hard part is needing water blocks, but there are no water blocks on the same elevation as Cantlin! Luckily the challenge counts as completed just by making it me anywhere, so I was able to make one out in the field near some water and it counted.

Now it’s time for Chapter 2. I love that the field theme is Homeland from DQ4 and the town theme is the small village music from DQ3. Both are two of my favorite DQ tunes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ha, same thing happens every time I try and play Builders! I love the game, but one thing or another distracts me away from it! It’s why it’s been on my Limbo List for a few years now!

But, I’m now one step closer to trying to beat it. I just finished Chapter 1 on the Switch version a few hours ago and managed to complete all the Chapter Challenges. Creating the Cantlin Garden was the hardest one to get, and I’ll be honest, I had to look up how to do it. I assumed since I built in a garden in my town I would complete it, but apparently the Cantlin Garden is it’s own building recipe, not just a garden created within the town. The hard part is needing water blocks, but there are no water blocks on the same elevation as Cantlin! Luckily the challenge counts as completed just by making it me anywhere, so I was able to make one out in the field near some water and it counted.

Now it’s time for Chapter 2. I love that the field theme is Homeland from DQ4 and the town theme is the small village music from DQ3. Both are two of my favorite DQ tunes.

Oh yeah. I'm totally digging Chapter 2 right now....and taking my time. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh yeah. I'm totally digging Chapter 2 right now....and taking my time. 

At this point I’m just trying to rush it (somewhat) so I can finally beat the damn game. Thankfully with chapter 2 all building plans still exist in your status menu, so at least it’s easy to level up the village quickly to get some extra HP. Only problem I’m having now is the lack of certain materials to build specific stuff, namely the Colossal Coffer so I can collect stuff like crazy without having to run back to town all the time.

Going away from Builders talk, I have finished chapter 3 of Bug Fables. We’re getting to learn more about Vi, and it seems she has a strained relationship with her sister and the rest of her hive. Things weren’t as bad as she made them out to be, and it does seem like the other bees are proud of her.

What I’m confused about is Vi’s relationship with the Queen Bee. By the way the dialogue made it out to be, the Queen sees Vi as her child and comments that “Mothers know best,” or something similar. Then when you meet Vi’s sister, Jaune, Leif comments about how all the bees are technically sisters, so it’s weird that Vi singles out Jaune as her (only) sister. Now admittedly I don’t know how a bee colony works in real life so all this is probably on me, but it’s a tad confusing. I figured Vi was secretly going to be the sister to the Queen due to their exchanges, or that the Queen was her mom and Vi was making things out worse than they were due to her personality.

Oh well. I now have the three artifacts needed to find the Everlasting Sapling, but with so much of the world to still explore I wonder if we’ll discover more artifacts or if the game will go a bit more free roam from here on out and I can go to any of the other unexplored areas I want.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I've officially made it further in Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS than I have before! I just got done with Altrades Abbey but I'm a bit confused on how classes & skills work. It seems to be like 6 where you gain skills for the class, but, if I switch to another class...at least on the same "level" I'll keep the skills for all classes I've gained them in. It's when I go to the next level, with more advanced classes, that I'll lose skills I've had the whole time. Do I have that right? That makes me not want to master anything but basic classes.

• Like 1