cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Well the party I've been mostly raising pretty well since early last week is dead now except for the thief. And there's no way he can raise the money to res the rest alone.

But hey, I got the boat of the part responsible for the deaths. A boat.

EXSg35TWAAE-VgG.png

• Like 1

Rune Factory 4 - I'm tracking down some Rune Spheres and I found a boss that is actually pretty tough. I had to retreat from battle twice so now I'm brainstorming a new strategy. This boss isn't particularly strong when it comes to attack, it just takes out my ability to cast fire spells, which are the only way to do any decent damage to it.

I now have a full party AND a boat. A bit better...

got boat and party.png

1 hour ago, Fates said:

I now have a full party AND a boat. A bit better...

got boat and party.png

It would be even better if you had a boat party instead of a boat and a party.

Been playing a bunch of Radiant Historia Perfect Chonology and... it's far from perfect. I'm about 100/298 nodes into the game at a little over 16 hours. I get lost in the 2 stores a lot. You play one for a couple hours and then have to play the other main tale. It gets a bit confusing. I really still like the combat, but man it's hard to get into a rhythm with that as I never know on the side histories or whatever who's going to be able to be in my party or not. Proving to be a longer and more confusing game than I first envisioned, but I'll stick with it.

Beat that tough boss on Rune Factory 4. 

Also, I want to throw something turn-based into the mix so it's easier to play when I've got the little one. So, I ordered DQ I, II, and III on Amazon (I like to have physical copies of games). 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:34 PM, eal said:

It would be even better if you had a boat party instead of a boat and a party.

Sounds fun but wouldn't advise it. There's a vortex that goes around in the water that can destroy the boat instantly. That's why I have the boat parked on the narrow there... it can get hit there, but very unlikely. Then you gotta troll the coasts and fight more pirates to steal their boat again. There's a town only accessible via water, as well as the last dungeon.

This game is a lot of fun but it can go bad really fast... and there's no bouncing back sometimes.

• Like 1

Well, despite Radiant Historia, I've been in a gaming rut and needed to find something to make me excited. I'd been kinda plowing through Radiant Historia Perfect Chonology, but it's been just that, plowing through, going through the motions.

With word yesterday likely my summer camps are not gonna happen, cutting 15% of my yearly income, I got in a deeper funk that I figured could only be cured by 1 series: Dragon Quest. So... kinda out of the blue I started Dragon Quest X last night. 3 hours in I beat the prologue. Made myself a big, dark red Ogre Warrior. We'll see how this goes.

• Like 1

Started the main part of the game last night.

Wake up in Ogre place, told to go get some stone from a cave. I walk outside and suddenly there’s a warning that it’s 10 minutes until some Metal event. It starts 10 minutes later and there are metal slimes and occasionally Liquid Metal Slimes in every battle. I went from level 1 to level 25 in under a half hour. Killed almost a dozen Metal Slimes and 2 Liquid Metal Slimes, oh and I’d received a 3X experience Angel Slime hat before this too, so BONUS! The boss of the area was dead in 2 hits. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to level so much?

Completed what I needed to. Had some hard times with side quests:
#004 - I know who I need to talk to, but don’t know what to say to them. Might need a screenshot or two to compare what I'm supposed to say.

#135 - Ran 7+ mins away to take a picture only to realize I hadn’t started the quest the correct way (I was supposed to take a photo with the guy giving me the quest first, oops), ugh, 20 mins running all around wasted. Will need to redo it.

• Like 1

Gave up on Quest #004. Apparently I need to type in a response. Nope.

Completed the other one, then walked a hell of a long way to the next town. It's a castle, the main hub of the ogre continent. Did a quest along the way to open the vault. Didn't mention earlier, but money is a #$*! to come by. I played 3 hours a couple nights ago and made under 200 gold. Got amazingly 3,000 for beating the first main quest, so wanted to sock that away ASAP! Armor upgrades in the 2nd town were all of 20 gold each, so I could afford them with my paltry earnings, keeping that 3,000 hidden away.

Tried to accept a few other jobs, but "you have to have a subscription" pops up a lot! I think I can unlock more jobs tomorrow as I head out on my quest to earn my first seal. Tried to get it from the king, but he "had a headache." Yeah, yeah, been there, heard that before.

Everything is SO FAR AWAY in DQX, oh man it's 90% walking, but still going strong.  Got another 3 hours in tonight. Actually got the Ogre Black Key Emblem! Not actually 100% sure why those are so important, but I GOT ONE!  Apparently these are needed to beat the game, so YAY!  Also completed a task that let me change jobs.  Turned into a thief, but I can't find armor to buy for him, weird. It was a metal event again, so in the last 5 minutes I actually got to participate my thief got to go up from level 1 to 24.  Thanks liquid metal slime with only 3 HP.

I rolled the credits on Rune Factory 4. I’ve only spent about 30 hours playing though, so my time with this game is far from over.

Maybe I’ll start playing DQ III though!

• Like 1

I rolled the credits on Rune Factory 4. I’ve only spent about 30 hours playing though, so my time with this game is far from over.
Maybe I’ll start playing DQ III though!
1st credits? Either way, yes, more to go!

I've completely slacked on exercise the past few months as my wife has been rocking it. Now with the reality of not going back to work this summer for camp is setting in, I figured I'd best bite the bullet and just settle into a routine. So, after failing to get interested in that rhythm game on my Vita a couple weeks back (too hard), I decided to try something Ysier while I work out. Booted up Ys Origin last night and managed to distract myself with some Ysy combat for a good 36 minutes on the recumbent bicycle. Thought I knew something about Ys, but I guess not, there's no red-headed dude to play as. Anyway, turned combat down to Ysy to Ys myself into the game. Minor annoyances on no map so far, so I have no clue where to go and it all looks the same making it very Ysy to get lost, but so far, so good. Then I followed that up with 100 reps with some weights. That's my goal, 100 something with the weights and bike daily. Not like I got much else to do. Already picked my goal shorts that I'd like to more Ysily fit into. Not a ton of weight to lose to zip them up, but goal #1 first!

Got a few hours in the middle of the day to play. I swear I keep hitting metal time daily. I had 10 minutes to prepare, so I quickly changed into a priest and leveled from 1 to 30 in the half hour of metal time. The jobs and skill points work pretty much the same as DQIX. There's a skill tree that's unique to each class that carries over stuff to any job. When metal time comes, my goal is to go from 1 to 30 in a job class and then dump those skill points into that tree to carry stuff over. Other than that, I'm an axe-wielding Warrior for story stuff. Gold is rediculously scare from battling. Maybe I've earned 1000 gold in my 10ish hours so far. But there are daily monster subjugation requests that are easy and can get 4000+ gold in a few minutes. Gonna need that because I spent an hour trying to figure out the damn train system and get to the dwarf town. Gonna do the quest to get a buggy/transport device. Walk/float WAY quicker! Going between towns/areas in this game is HUGE. It's a 5-10 minute walk anywhere, not counting battles. Even simple fetch quests take 40 minutes of walking!

On 5/17/2020 at 8:06 AM, Plattym3 said:

1st credits? Either way, yes, more to go!

I've completely slacked on exercise the past few months as my wife has been rocking it. Now with the reality of not going back to work this summer for camp is setting in, I figured I'd best bite the bullet and just settle into a routine. So, after failing to get interested in that rhythm game on my Vita a couple weeks back (too hard), I decided to try something Ysier while I work out. Booted up Ys Origin last night and managed to distract myself with some Ysy combat for a good 36 minutes on the recumbent bicycle. Thought I knew something about Ys, but I guess not, there's no red-headed dude to play as. Anyway, turned combat down to Ysy to Ys myself into the game. Minor annoyances on no map so far, so I have no clue where to go and it all looks the same making it very Ysy to get lost, but so far, so good. Then I followed that up with 100 reps with some weights. That's my goal, 100 something with the weights and bike daily. Not like I got much else to do. Already picked my goal shorts that I'd like to more Ysily fit into. Not a ton of weight to lose to zip them up, but goal #1 first!

How Punny!

I fired up DQ III on the Switch. Last version of this I played was DW III on the GBC.

It has been so long I have no idea what I’m doing. I consider that a good thing though!

Anyway, this version has nice graphics. The little character sprites are cute.

19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Got a few hours in the middle of the day to play. I swear I keep hitting metal time daily. I had 10 minutes to prepare, so I quickly changed into a priest and leveled from 1 to 30 in the half hour of metal time. The jobs and skill points work pretty much the same as DQIX. There's a skill tree that's unique to each class that carries over stuff to any job. When metal time comes, my goal is to go from 1 to 30 in a job class and then dump those skill points into that tree to carry stuff over. Other than that, I'm an axe-wielding Warrior for story stuff. Gold is rediculously scare from battling. Maybe I've earned 1000 gold in my 10ish hours so far. But there are daily monster subjugation requests that are easy and can get 4000+ gold in a few minutes. Gonna need that because I spent an hour trying to figure out the damn train system and get to the dwarf town. Gonna do the quest to get a buggy/transport device. Walk/float WAY quicker! Going between towns/areas in this game is HUGE. It's a 5-10 minute walk anywhere, not counting battles. Even simple fetch quests take 40 minutes of walking!

Wait...which game is this? Radiant Historia?

Dragon Quest X

I couldn't believe my DQX playtime when I found it in a menu last night. 20 hours already! This is what I needed.

Got my 2nd seal last night (need 6 to finish V1), but then I realized I'm underequipped and the party of randos I was given are way below my level now). Spent a good portion of the day fixing that.

1. Finished a quest so I can hire new randos. Good thing about this game being 7+ years old? They couldn't care less about low level people. I was able to hire basically whoever I wanted since I was below level 90 FOR FREE. Hello new party of intermediate class people WAY better than me! $0

2. Equipment for higher levels is quest-based, so I did 3/5 Warrior Level 30 quests and pumped my defense up by a good 40ish points. Took forever, but I like my new duds and they protect!

3. Got pulled into a random quest by the guy I saved in my dwarf Emblem quest. Apparently it was part 2 of his story (they have little cut scenes and it very clearly says part 2, the Warrior one does this too). Wasn't too long, warped me to the spot and required 0 battles. How easy is that!

So.... I think I’m getting kinda hooked on. DQ III for the switch.

i got it because I wanted something turn-based to my play  while I am on baby duty. Turned out to be an absolute blast so far.

Ive got DW III for GBC sitting on my shelf so I’m thinking maybe I’ll play that soon and do a little compare/contrast in the review section....maybe....

• Like 1

Needed to stop fooling around with sidequests and get back to the game. Went to store a bunch of junk I'd picked up (inventory is limited and I haven't finished the sidequest to expand it yet) and noticed I had these things that gave me EXP. Used all 10 of them and now I'm suddenly level 46!

With my current team of awesome people I was able to knock out the 3rd Emblem in under and hour this morning.

OK, halfway there!

On 5/18/2020 at 3:08 PM, Plattym3 said:

Dragon Quest X

On 5/19/2020 at 3:42 AM, Plattym3 said:

I couldn't believe my DQX playtime when I found it in a menu last night. 20 hours already! This is what I needed.

Got my 2nd seal last night (need 6 to finish V1), but then I realized I'm underequipped and the party of randos I was given are way below my level now). Spent a good portion of the day fixing that.

1. Finished a quest so I can hire new randos. Good thing about this game being 7+ years old? They couldn't care less about low level people. I was able to hire basically whoever I wanted since I was below level 90 FOR FREE. Hello new party of intermediate class people WAY better than me! $0

2. Equipment for higher levels is quest-based, so I did 3/5 Warrior Level 30 quests and pumped my defense up by a good 40ish points. Took forever, but I like my new duds and they protect!

3. Got pulled into a random quest by the guy I saved in my dwarf Emblem quest. Apparently it was part 2 of his story (they have little cut scenes and it very clearly says part 2, the Warrior one does this too). Wasn't too long, warped me to the spot and required 0 battles. How easy is that!

Sorry. This may be a totally stupid question, or one that you've already answered, but are you playing in Japanese? Or did you find a way to play in English?

Sorry. This may be a totally stupid question, or one that you've already answered, but are you playing in Japanese? Or did you find a way to play in English?
Japanese. I follow the highlighted areas on the map, use the Google Translate app, follow YouTube videos, and mainly follow the English guide on the Den & GameFAQs.

Scary night of data loss & redemption. Decided to go full speed ahead to avoid this problem again. Got Emblem #4 and #5 from the Weddie (fish men) village and the Popplio (tiny guy) village. Now that's all 5 of the basic ones. Some crazy dude on the train I keep taking tells me I need 6 (so does the guide I'm following). Time to explore farther! 443b1002471ee9608be0ec2479b97f06.jpg

Posted (edited)

Somehow got back into playing Dragon Quest XI S and finished off the Gold Fever story in Sniflheim. Glad to have Erik back in the party at full strength again, and I forgot his story in this portion of the game was rather tragic. Dragon Quest really knows how to make you feel for it’s characters.

The boss in the Gyldenhal was a real bastard though. I forgot how difficult it was. And now the boss of the Frozen Fjord is proving to be a major problem too. I can’t tell which is worse, but I think I hate the Fjord boss more because of his multiple party member hitting attacks and his ability to paralyze party members. 

Edit: And like usual, soon as I complain about a boss giving me problems, I beat it. Somehow managed the second attempt at the Fjord boss but Sylvando died in the process. It would have been too risky to revive him, so Hendrik had to be swapped in. Tried using Jade, but after the first attempt I needed Hendrik since he has Kabuff and ways to mitigate damage.

Glad to have Serena back in the party.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Somehow got back into playing Dragon Quest XI S and finished off the Gold Fever story in Sniflheim. Glad to have Erik back in the party at full strength again, and I forgot his story in this portion of the game was rather tragic. Dragon Quest really knows how to make you feel for it’s characters.

The boss in the Gyldenhal was a real bastard though. I forgot how difficult it was. And now the boss of the Frozen Fjord is proving to be a major problem too. I can’t tell which is worse, but I think I hate the Fjord boss more because of his multiple party member hitting attacks and his ability to paralyze party members. 

Edit: And like usual, soon as I complain about a boss giving me problems, I beat it. Somehow managed the second attempt at the Fjord boss but Sylvando died in the process. It would have been too risky to revive him, so Hendrik had to be swapped in. Tried using Jade, but after the first attempt I needed Hendrik since he has Kabuff and ways to mitigate damage.

Glad to have Serena back in the party.

Boom! Glad you’re back at it!

And, just like that I've revived my 6th Emblem, the first of the Major Emblems in DQX. Apparently all I need to do to advance the story now & get to beating the V1 boss is take the train and bump into the Sage that's been talking to me all the time.