cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

I didn’t know they had Mega Evolutions either until I got them, and it’s so forced they might as well have not had it in the game at all, especially if they’re gonna just give you all of the ones for the three starters at the end and, correct me if I’m wrong, they couldn’t even be bothered to add some new ones.

• Like 1

Trials of Mana / SD3 remake

I wanted this since 1999, and was always afraid if they remade it they'd do a Lufia II DS remake type thing to it

but dammit, they got it very right

I didn’t know they had Mega Evolutions either until I got them, and it’s so forced they might as well have not had it in the game at all, especially if they’re gonna just give you all of the ones for the three starters at the end and, correct me if I’m wrong, they couldn’t even be bothered to add some new ones.
There's what, maybe 10 total from what I see? Didn't extensively search for Mega evolutions in the other games, but no, none seem new.

Finally beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions. No one should've been surprised. 9f20cd5ccec4f38a18d56b49238e7f2d.jpg
  • Like 1

I finished of Alfyn and Therion’s stories in Octopath. Alfyn’s battle abilities are great and he can actually hit pretty hard. Him being a physical damage dealer with healing capabilities is PERFECT in my book. Characters that can do that like Ness from Earthbound or the Rover class from Etrian Odyssey V are some of my favorites. His story so far is okay, but I’m interested to see who the man was who helped him as a boy.

Therion, meanwhile, has a much more interesting story. I wasn’t expecting his story to go the direction it did in part 1, so way to go against my expectations game. He can’t really do a lot of physical damage, but his debuff skills are a welcome addition to the party. Him and Primrose using buffs and debuffs together made the boss battle of the dungeon go pretty quick.

One mechanic I like about the game is that you can see how successful stealing and collecting money will be from enemies. The more you damage them, the easier the chances are, unlike other RPGs where you just have to hope you can steal something without knowing the chances. Octopath giving you the % and it increasing as the enemy loses HP is very welcome.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:49 AM, Plattym3 said:

There's what, maybe 10 total from what I see? Didn't extensively search for Mega evolutions in the other games, but no, none seem new.

Finally beat Tokyo Mirage Sessions. No one should've been surprised. 9f20cd5ccec4f38a18d56b49238e7f2d.jpg

I’m going to assume that picture’s text says “Holy #$*!, someone actually beat the game?! We didn’t think someone would actually see this text box.” - The Dev Team.

• Like 1

I finished of Alfyn and Therion’s stories in Octopath. Alfyn’s battle abilities are great and he can actually hit pretty hard. Him being a physical damage dealer with healing capabilities is PERFECT in my book. Characters that can do that like Ness from Earthbound or the Rover class from Etrian Odyssey V are some of my favorites. His story so far is okay, but I’m interested to see who the man was who helped him as a boy.
Therion, meanwhile, has a much more interesting story. I wasn’t expecting his story to go the direction it did in part 1, so way to go against my expectations game. He can’t really do a lot of physical damage, but his debuff skills are a welcome addition to the party. Him and Primrose using buffs and debuffs together made the boss battle of the dungeon go pretty quick.

One mechanic I like about the game is that you can see how successful stealing and collecting money will be from enemies. The more you damage them, the easier the chances are, unlike other RPGs where you just have to hope you can steal something without knowing the chances. Octopath giving you the % and it increasing as the enemy loses HP is very welcome.
I’m going to assume that picture’s text says “Holy #$*!, someone actually beat the game?! We didn’t think someone would actually see this text box.” - The Dev Team.
Now that I'm no longer a VIP Tapatalk member, I'm finding issues with image uploads. dfcbfd534709fd56b235ef5b2cc50ac4.jpg

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

dfcbfd534709fd56b235ef5b2cc50ac4.jpg

4688A362-F17C-4A2F-90FA-29B19F3A1E98.thumb.png.6f27297d415483f84d50782af99eb20c.png

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Now that I'm no longer a VIP Tapatalk member, I'm finding issues with image uploads. dfcbfd534709fd56b235ef5b2cc50ac4.jpg

I’m glad you weren’t worried about beating the game, blonde haired lady.

How long was the playtime Platty?

I’m glad you weren’t worried about beating the game, blonde haired lady.
How long was the playtime Platty?
A smidge under 40 hours.

I finished the Coffinwell part of Dragon Quest IX last night and had to take an anxiety pill after...probably not the best time to be playing through that part right now.

56 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

You know, we only ever get, like, the Zelda or Final Fantasy concerts over here, but I would unironically make plans to travel into Boston or something to go this concert because the music was pretty fire and would be improved as a concert experience. When we gonna get any of those Persona or (obviously) Dragon Quest concerts? Most fun I’ve had at a public outing in three years was the Game of Thrones Concert Experience last September.

• Like 1

You know, we only ever get, like, the Zelda or Final Fantasy concerts over here, but I would unironically make plans to travel into Boston or something to go this concert because the music was pretty fire and would be improved as a concert experience. When we gonna get any of those Persona or (obviously) Dragon Quest concerts? Most fun I’ve had at a public outing in three years was the Game of Thrones Concert Experience last September.
The lady who headlines the band who's music we use on Slime Time was in town recently for a concert at a venue I'd been to before (for a game night & comedy show). Liam pointed it out, but 2 issues.
1. They were going to play music
2. It was a Final Fantasy music night

I mean, I didn't even know FF had music!

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The lady who headlines the band who's music we use on Slime Time was in town recently for a concert at a venue I'd been to before (for a game night & comedy show). Liam pointed it out, but 2 issues.
1. They were going to play music emoji6.png
2. It was a Final Fantasy music night emoji2961.png

I mean, I didn't even know FF had music!

Instead of a one-trick pony, Final Fantasy music is a bit of a One-Winged Angel.

Posted (edited)

One Winged Angel? Dancing Mad is the best Final Fantasy final boss theme. It’s a 4 movement piece that changes as the boss does. The third portion and the final portion are especially good.

I know Platty will probably give me crap for it since it’s Final Fantasy related, but Dancing Mad really is a great song by Uematsu.  Always makes for a great Halloween time song thanks to the organ.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Posted (edited)

I’m just taking the piss because I wanted to make a One-Winged Angel gag, I’m sure Final Fantasy music is fine.

My favorite thing about the way YouTube lets you share videos on forums like this now is that you’re forced to look at the avatar of the person who posted the video on YouTube and it’s something goofy like Senator Armstrong in this case.

Edited by eal

15 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m just taking the piss because I wanted to make a One-Winged Angel gag, I’m sure Final Fantasy music is fine.

My favorite thing about the way YouTube lets you share videos on forums like this now is that you’re forced to look at the avatar of the person who posted the video on YouTube and it’s something goofy like Senator Armstrong in this case.

Haha, yeah I figured. Just wanted to share some music and my preference for Dancing Mad. 🤪

Of all the Final Fantasy soundtracks, FF6 has the strongest one IMO. Plenty of great pieces and some of the best sounding SNES era music; they definitely made the most with the Super Nintendo sound chip. FF4, FF5, and FF9 have good ones too.

46 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One Winged Angel? Dancing Mad is the best Final Fantasy final boss theme. It’s a 4 movement piece that changes as the boss does. The third portion and the final portion are especially good.

I know Platty will probably give me crap for it since it’s Final Fantasy related, but Dancing Mad really is a great song by Uematsu.  Always makes for a great Halloween time song thanks to the organ.

Ah yes, another man of culture. That boss fight was amazing and the music was perfect.

Posted (edited)

So Ophelia’s story in Octopath is pretty much Dark Souls. You need to go and find the First Flame and use it to keep light in the land.

If her story involves using the characters as Kindling to keep the flame going and prevent an Age of Darkness, I’m out! OR if Gwyn shows up to try and stop us, I’m NOPEing right on out of this game. 🤣

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Just short of 20 hours, I now have all the playable characters in Octopath Traveller! I guess my usual slow go approach to RPGs is already ringing true with this game, but honestly I’ve enjoyed just exploring and trying out the different character actions.

Cyrus was the last character I needed, and I like his Sherlock Holmes mystery solving style. I was expecting him to be a stuck up character going off his artwork, but he’s a pretty friendly guy who just wants to share knowledge with the world. I’m curious what awaits with his search for an ancient tome in his story, but man, the situation that put him into that search was unexpected.

Honestly, I’m not seeing the problem that people had with the story of this game. Each of the main character’s stories so far have been interesting and did a good job setting up their respective journeys, and the main cast all have likeable traits to them. I know I’m still early on in each story, but unless people were just mad the characters don’t interact more, I’m not seeing where the complaints some folks have are coming from.

Oh well. It’s probably people just complaining just because. I’m really enjoying the game, and I’m looking forward to what’s next for each character. Not sure who’s story I’ll go for next, but we’ll see what happens!

So while going for Therion’s Part 2 story I found an NPC who had a stealable sword called the Moonblade...and it’s a Greatsword type weapon...

Ok, the similarities to Dark Soul are starting to get very concerning, as an infamous weapon that appears in that series and nearly every From Software game is (usually) called the Moonlight Sword. If the final plot twist of the game is that the Chosen Undeed or Ashen One is the big bad of the world...I will think that’s cool but then I’m jumping ship.

• Like 1

Started up Radiant Historia Perfect Chonology. About 3 hours in and still not past the part I got to in the demo a couple years back. It's definitely as good as I remember. That combat is pretty cool.

Progress-wise I'm 19/283 of the way through! Haha so 6.7128% done!

Finished off 4 of the Part 2 stories. Boss battles are certainly a lot of fun in this game, and the stories are picking up. Having to think about your actions and going for the Breaks makes battle very interesting. Olberic is pretty much my boss destroyer since I managed to get his final ability (for 5,000 job points no less) and it is so damn powerful. Doesn’t mean bosses die just like that though.

I’m also happy with how the secondary job class system works. I’ve found 4 shrines in different parts of the world that have given me special items to take on the Cleric, Scholar, Thief, and Hunter class. Using them let’s your characters keep their primary class, but you can then swap for a second class and learn abilities for said class. Once you change the second job class you can’t access those abilities, but you can still equip any passive skills learned. I may go and hunt down the other 4 job class items before moving on with Part 2 stories.

Certainly am enjoying the game more and more.

Aside from Seiken Densetsu 3 remake playing a lot of Ultima 3. Honestly getting nowhere in the latter. The food grind early on is a struggle.

11 hours ago, Fates said:

Aside from Seiken Densetsu 3 remake playing a lot of Ultima 3. Honestly getting nowhere in the latter. The food grind early on is a struggle.

Wow, Ultima 3! That's some old-school RPG right there! What are you playing that on, PC?

Yup. Through DOSBox. I grew up with these on an Apple IIc that was in my room growing up.

For some reason the emulator's auto-detect on how many cycles this games needs is very off. It runs like you are using the fast forward on SNES9x/zsnes/etc. It's very playable, it's just anything that has more than one frame animates very heckin fast. I set the emulator to a forced number of cycles, it fixes Ultima 3, but then everything else runs slow. Ultima 6 takes like 3 minutes to even start.

• Like 1