cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Haha, I was just thinking of doing the same thing myself. I re-downloaded the Trials of Mana demo to give it another go, and I’m liking it more now than when I first played it a month ago.

I still cringe at the voice acting though. I don’t know if they purposely wanted it to sound cheesy, but OOF. Square Enix is so weird about VA in their games. One game it will be really good, next one it’s bleh.

That is why I turned on the JP voices while I play. I don't know enough about Japanese to know if it is good or bad VA. So I am using that towards my advantage lol

My only big complaint is the cutscenes. There were some weird edits with it. The whole thing with Riesz's brother was really weird to watch.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

That is why I turned on the JP voices while I play. I don't know enough about Japanese to know if it is good or bad VA. So I am using that towards my advantage lol

My only big complaint is the cutscenes. There were some weird edits with it. The whole thing with Riesz's brother was really weird to watch.

Yeah, cutscenes can be hit or miss. I’m playing my SNES team of Duran, Angela, and Charlotte in the demo, and Duran’s cutscenes were totally fine until the Fortune Teller bit. He stops talking at one point and then swung his arms around like he was supposed to be doing something....and then he started talking again! In the immortal words of Krusty the Klown:

I’m just laughing at the silliness. I may give the JP voices a try, but I wonder how...well, Japanese-y (for lack of a better term) Charlotte’s voice will be.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, cutscenes can be hit or miss. I’m playing my SNES team of Duran, Angela, and Charlotte in the demo, and Duran’s cutscenes were totally fine until the Fortune Teller bit. He stops talking at one point and then swung his arms around like he was supposed to be doing something....and then he started talking again! In the immortal words of Krusty the Klown:

I’m just laughing at the silliness. I may give the JP voices a try, but I wonder how...well, Japanese-y (for lack of a better term) Charlotte’s voice will be.

Yeah that cutscene was really weird too.

I have Charlotte in my team. Her JP voice acting is good enough for me. Not as bad as the English VA. But it still uses the normal English subtitles and still has her speech impediments written out. But that doesn't bother me that much.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Yeah that cutscene was really weird too.

I have Charlotte in my team. Her JP voice acting is good enough for me. Not as bad as the English VA. But it still uses the normal English subtitles and still has her speech impediments written out. But that doesn't bother me that much.

I didn’t mind Charlotte’s text and I thought her dialogue was funny. Didn’t expect her to have the speech impediment when I played the Collection, but when you start to read her dialogue in an Elmer Fudd voice...well, it makes any serious moments with her hilarious.

”Be vewwy vewwy quiet. I’m hunting wabites, ahahahahahaha!”

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I didn’t mind Charlotte’s text and I thought her dialogue was funny. Didn’t expect her to have the speech impediment when I played the Collection, but when you start to read her dialogue in an Elmer Fudd voice...well, it makes any serious moments with her hilarious.

”Be vewwy vewwy quiet. I’m hunting wabites, ahahahahahaha!”

Yeah I actually have no problem with it as many others do. I just find it a bit amusing to have a character talk like that.

I played Final Fantasy 7 Remake for like 6 hours today and beat it. I won't be going back to it any time soon but would give it a good rating. The story really hooked me at the end when I just stopped caring about boring side quests. I also thought each boss would be the final boss and the game just kept going. Like at one point where the game could have ended on a great note, there was still a good hour and 2 long boss fights left.

That means it's full on Dragon Quest 9 time and I'm loving it so far. It's an updated 3 in my opinion and that automatically puts it up a notch for me. It's nice playing on a DS but I think I have to switch to my 3DS for longer play sessions but would really like a Switch remake.

1 minute ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I played Final Fantasy 7 Remake for like 6 hours today and beat it. I won't be going back to it any time soon but would give it a good rating. The story really hooked me at the end when I just stopped caring about boring side quests. I also thought each boss would be the final boss and the game just kept going. Like at one point where the game could have ended on a great note, there was still a good hour and 2 long boss fights left.

Wow all of this surprises me. I’m in the camp of people that might buy it months from now when it’s $25 on Black Friday and I somehow find an extra 100 gb of space to download it (barf) so I’ve given zero #$*!s and have been reading all the spoiler reviews and opinions and this is the exact opposite of what I’ve been hearing.

Well Trials of Mana (on the Collection of Mana) just lost my interest in trying to play it for awhile. I beat another of the Benevodons and went to the Shimmering Ruins to fight another one. I was playing in handheld mode and was trying to deal with my left joy-con doing that accursed joy-con drift, as it’s recently been doing that.

Well, I get what felt like halfway through the ruins. I was close to another level up for the party and had found some decent treasure in the dungeon. I accidentally hit the ZL button, and before I knew it the #$*!ing controller had changed it so I was controller 2. I realized I couldn’t do anything so I opened the ZL menu and saw what was changed. I put it back on Player 1, but Angela refused to move as if she was still being controlled by a P2 controller. So I go back into the menu AGAIN, confirmed I was doing 1P only and pushed the A button on the option...and the game reset itself.

I honest to god don’t understand how all that happened apart from my stupid left joy con controller acting like a little #$*! and doing joy con drift, but I pretty much lost a lot of progress in that dungeon. After having to deal with that stupid controller and losing 45 minutes of progress and leveling, I’m done. #$*! playing Trials of Mana original for the time being. I’m washing my hands of it until I can either safely play it in handheld mode again or until I’m no longer pissed about what happened.

Guess it’s a good thing I was wanting to start Octopath Traveller. I’ll be playing that tomorrow instead. For now I need to beat the #$*! out of characters I don’t like in Smash Bros. Ultimate with my favorites.

• Like 1

What started with me trying to joke with someone ended up in an invitation to be on Q & A Quest last night. It'll be a couple days, but I'm #159 https://rpgamer.com/category/podcasts/qaquest/ They had no questions asked last week, so 4 of us just talked for almost 3 hours about FF7R, P5R, Let's Go Pikachu, Tokyo Mirage Sessions & such. Late night, not much playing, but...

I'm at endgame in TMS. We were joking as I played last night despite the people saying the final battle was coming, being an Atlus game, thee was likely 10 more hours to go. Turns out not, checking the sidequests, this morning I FINISHED THE VERY LAST CHARACTER ONE! Then, I started the boss rush. Well, not really rush, but I refought the first idoloshphere boss after a small bit, so I think I see how this'll go.

I started up Octopath Traveller this morning. Honestly it’s about damn time I played it too since it’s been sitting on my shelf for months and I keep saying “Oh I’m going to start the game!”

Well...now I actually did. Yippee skippy doo dah day, boys and girls.

I wasn’t sure who to start with. Platty gave me some suggestions, but after reading the backstories for each character and seeing their designs and abilities...I went with Olberic, the former knight.

First off, I’m really liking his story. The beginning before the time jump really gave me Suikoden II vibes with how it played out. Olberic being voiced by the badass Patrick Seitz only made him that much cooler right away too, so I don’t regret my character choice.

From what little I’ve played I’m liking what so many others do about the game. The visuals are great and remind me of a mix of Final Fantasy VI for the sprites and Grandia for the 3D environments, the gameplay is easy to get into, and the soundtrack I’ve heard so far is amazing. It’s not Revo at the music helm as far as I know but dang is it some good stuff. Truly impressed by the music quality.

Oh, and I’m already digging the combat system. While I only have Olberic, the battle with the brigands in the mountains north of Cobbleston made me appreciate how the game handles buffs and it’s combat system. Olberic has an attack buff skill automatically, and when you use it it gives him 3 turns of increases damage. Well, by using the charge points (I forget their exact name, apologies) Olberic can strengthen the effect of the buff, allowing it to work for 9 turns instead! And if it starts to get low you can reapply the buff and it will add X number of turns to it! That’s a system I can get behind, as Etrian Odyssey does the same thing with buffs and debuffs, so it was easy to figure out.

I’m looking forward to playing more and seeing what else awaits with the game. So far, so good. 👍

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I started up Octopath Traveller this morning. Honestly it’s about damn time I played it too since it’s been sitting on my shelf for months and I keep saying “Oh I’m going to start the game!”

Well...now I actually did. Yippee skippy doo dah day, boys and girls.

I wasn’t sure who to start with. Platty gave me some suggestions, but after reading the backstories for each character and seeing their designs and abilities...I went with Olberic, the former knight.

First off, I’m really liking his story. The beginning before the time jump really gave me Suikoden II vibes with how it played out. Olberic being voiced by the badass Patrick Seitz only made him that much cooler right away too, so I don’t regret my character choice.

From what little I’ve played I’m liking what so many others do about the game. The visuals are great and remind me of a mix of Final Fantasy VI for the sprites and Grandia for the 3D environments, the gameplay is easy to get into, and the soundtrack I’ve heard so far is amazing. It’s not Revo at the music helm as far as I know but dang is it some good stuff. Truly impressed by the music quality.

Oh, and I’m already digging the combat system. While I only have Olberic, the battle with the brigands in the mountains north of Cobbleston made me appreciate how the game handles buffs and it’s combat system. Olberic has an attack buff skill automatically, and when you use it it gives him 3 turns of increases damage. Well, by using the charge points (I forget their exact name, apologies) Olberic can strengthen the effect of the buff, allowing it to work for 9 turns instead! And if it starts to get low you can reapply the buff and it will add X number of turns to it! That’s a system I can get behind, as Etrian Odyssey does the same thing with buffs and debuffs, so it was easy to figure out.

I’m looking forward to playing more and seeing what else awaits with the game. So far, so good. 👍

Good to hear that you are enjoying it so far. I see a lot of people hating on this game for being a "short story collection". The amount of hate I seen the game gets is so damn undeserved.

13 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Good to hear that you are enjoying it so far. I see a lot of people hating on this game for being a "short story collection". The amount of hate I seen the game gets is so damn undeserved.

Mileage varies when it comes to opinions found on the internet but I’ve only ever seen the kindest words said about Octopath Traveler.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Platty gave me the heads up on how the stories are more of individual tales, but that’s the impression I got from when they first talked about the game way back when. They were 8 individual stories that may overlap but ultimately focus on each individual character at the right times.

I do wish your other party members at least appeared in the background of cutscenes, like how when I went and recruited Tressa and helped her out Olberic just disappeared during her cutscenes. Wish they had done a FF6 and had them standing behind the important character, but whatever. Olberic has nothing to do with Tressa’s plot apart from helping her in combat and exploration, so his lack of presence was whatever. It’s just a minor nitpick.

I’m liking how you get to see each character’s story set up though. Going to Rippletide and speaking with Tressa, I’m glad the game actually let you play as her and figure out her story and gameplay mechanic before she officially joined Olberic. I’m heading to the sun lands next, and it looks like Primrose will be my next party member.

Also, another minor thing, but I like that your active party members follow you around. I always like this in games.

16 minutes ago, eal said:

Mileage varies when it comes to opinions found on the internet but I’ve only ever seen the kindest words said about Octopath Traveler.

You’ve seen the total opposite of what @Plattym3and I do then. Our Facebook RPG group has people whine and nag about Octopath a lot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You’ve seen the total opposite of what @Plattym3and I do then. Our Facebook RPG group has people whine and nag about Octopath a lot.

Well, that answers it. The Den is where I go for everything RPG and every place else I go will have a more general or less rabid opinion of RPGs specifically.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, eal said:

Yeah, you are right on that. I really need to stop using reddit and Facebook all together at this point.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Platty gave me the heads up on how the stories are more of individual tales, but that’s the impression I got from when they first talked about the game way back when. They were 8 individual stories that may overlap but ultimately focus on each individual character at the right times.

I do wish your other party members at least appeared in the background of cutscenes, like how when I went and recruited Tressa and helped her out Olberic just disappeared during her cutscenes. Wish they had done a FF6 and had them standing behind the important character, but whatever. Olberic has nothing to do with Tressa’s plot apart from helping her in combat and exploration, so his lack of presence was whatever. It’s just a minor nitpick.

I’m liking how you get to see each character’s story set up though. Going to Rippletide and speaking with Tressa, I’m glad the game actually let you play as her and figure out her story and gameplay mechanic before she officially joined Olberic. I’m heading to the sun lands next, and it looks like Primrose will be my next party member.

Also, another minor thing, but I like that your active party members follow you around. I always like this in games.

That is one I understand that people didn't like. Even having them have generic spoken dialogue during some scenes would have been better then pretending that they weren't there. It really only bothered me with Therion's story though.

Edited by Twinkie

Well, that answers it. The Den is where I go for everything RPG and every place else I go will have a more general or less rabid opinion of RPGs specifically.
Exactly. https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/octopath-traveler/critic-reviews Even Metacritic has really excellent scores on Octopath Traveler. I'm on that list, about 7 down since I rated it a 90, but hell even IGN went higher than me. You have to go where there's tons of hardcore RPG people that break apart the games insanely detailed before you see complaints.

Yeah, you are right on that. I really need to stop using reddit and Facebook all together at this point.

I uninstalled my Facebook app on March 28th. It's been an interesting change, but right now I don't miss it. I still get on once every 2-3 days, but it's decreasing weekly.

Reddit I've only used sporadically, just getting on for specific reasons. I can't say I've ever gone deep into anything there, thank goodness!

4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I uninstalled my Facebook app on March 28th. It's been an interesting change, but right now I don't miss it. I still get on once every 2-3 days, but it's decreasing weekly.

Reddit I've only used sporadically, just getting on for specific reasons. I can't say I've ever gone deep into anything there, thank goodness!

I only ever use Reddit to look at artwork or fan art people make. 

Watching TV, thinking I could knock out TMS is proving a horrible combination. My God, these mazes and warp tiles and moving platform puzzles are a complete pain in the butt. 1 more area, 2 more bosses. Almost done.

I finished off Primrose’s story in Octopath last night. Man, I did not expect her story to get as dark as it did, and it was only part 1 of it! It was some real mood whiplash after completing part 1 of Tressa’s story! 🤣

Jokes aside, it really was a pretty serious and darker themed story. It had some moments I wasn’t expecting from the game, even if I’m early on. Defeating Helgenish (Primrose’s “master,”) was very satisfying after seeing  the crap he was doing.

Also, I was shocked by the foul language. My sensitive eyes cannot handle that “w,” word and other such vulgarity in my sprite based looking RPG!

spacer.png

And it was a word so bad, he had to say it two times!

spacer.png

Why don’t they ever think of the children? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!

Ahem...now that I have Primrose, I’m liking how she’s a support character. I’ve given her buff skills to help Olberic dish out more damage, but I found a good tag along for Primrose who can use a special move called “Exotic Spices,” that heals 40 SP (this game’s MP) every time for every party member! Man, this guy will be super helpful for bosses or any tough random encounters for a while now!

Next up is the Riverlands. I’m pretty sure this is where the Apothecary character was, or it’s the thief character. Either way, I’m close to having a full party of 4.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well Trials of Mana (on the Collection of Mana) just lost my interest in trying to play it for awhile. I beat another of the Benevodons and went to the Shimmering Ruins to fight another one. I was playing in handheld mode and was trying to deal with my left joy-con doing that accursed joy-con drift, as it’s recently been doing that.

Well, I get what felt like halfway through the ruins. I was close to another level up for the party and had found some decent treasure in the dungeon. I accidentally hit the ZL button, and before I knew it the #$*!ing controller had changed it so I was controller 2. I realized I couldn’t do anything so I opened the ZL menu and saw what was changed. I put it back on Player 1, but Angela refused to move as if she was still being controlled by a P2 controller. So I go back into the menu AGAIN, confirmed I was doing 1P only and pushed the A button on the option...and the game reset itself.

I honest to god don’t understand how all that happened apart from my stupid left joy con controller acting like a little #$*! and doing joy con drift, but I pretty much lost a lot of progress in that dungeon. After having to deal with that stupid controller and losing 45 minutes of progress and leveling, I’m done. #$*! playing Trials of Mana original for the time being. I’m washing my hands of it until I can either safely play it in handheld mode again or until I’m no longer pissed about what happened.

Guess it’s a good thing I was wanting to start Octopath Traveller. I’ll be playing that tomorrow instead. For now I need to beat the #$*! out of characters I don’t like in Smash Bros. Ultimate with my favorites.

I'm at the point that I may have to restart Trials of Mana when I decide to play it again. 

I also made it to Chapter 2 on Dragon Quest Builders

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I only use Facebook now to mostly to organize and talk about future events like video game tournaments and such. I do talk in a couple RPG groups. But it is flooded with people taking pictures of their game collections and such. Which is fine. But it gets tiring over a while.

Reddit on the other hand... I hate it with a passion to the point that I don't even know why I use it anymore. It has great artwork and such. But discussions on the niche subreddits don't have much discussion anymore. And what discussions you do find is typically met with people getting upset with each other and getting downvoted for not having a popular opinion. Even if it is well thought out and written. Just like Facebook, you have people showing off their game collections most of the time on them.

I only use Facebook now to mostly to organize and talk about future events like video game tournaments and such. I do talk in a couple RPG groups. But it is flooded with people taking pictures of their game collections and such. Which is fine. But it gets tiring over a while.

I get that. YangustheLegendaryBandit and I have a group that started out and was under 2000 members for a year, very nice. Got a bit more upkeep year two as we grew to 10,000. Now in 5 months is ballooned to almost 18,000. It's about unmanageable & no longer really useful. Heck, as that's grown, I've started posting more here & ignoring there.

38 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I'm at the point that I may have to restart Trials of Mana when I decide to play it again. 

I wish I had another heavy damage dealer in my party that didn’t need to use spells. Angela can do some good damage, but I wish I didn’t have to rely on spells only for her. Makes boss fights take a while since I have to keep opening her spell menu.

When I eventually replay the game I think I’ll have Kevin, Charlotte, and Hawkeye. I’ve heard Hawkeye can become a very strong physical attacker.

• Like 1

8th gym badge collected. Didn't realize they'd have Mega Evolutions in this game. Totally missed out on getting Venusaur early on, oops. Likely will beat Let's Go Pikachu & Tokyo Mirage Sessions both in the next couple days.