Jump to content
cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Recommended Posts

Platty only plays 80 hour RPGs. Anything longer and it’s too much.
I've been changing! This year it's a quicker burn!
Hyrule Warriors, Luigi's Mansion 3 & Fire Emblem Warriors, all under 25 hours, as will likely Let's Go, Pikachu.
Braveland #2, The Mage was under 5.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions will be under 40
I kept 2 TitS under 60.

Of course I'm considering Trails of Cold Steel 2 next unless I go back and clear out some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Finishing up the Ghost Tower in Let's Go, Pikachu. Plattym4 is sick of fighting Gastly. Trying to do 1.5-2 hours daily now with my son. We did that with Luigi's Mansion 3 and it worked out well.

 

I can't wait till my little guy is old enough to play with me. I can't wait to introduce him to all of my hobbies :D

 

I beat the first big boss on DQ Builders on Friday. Looking forward to seeing what happens next. I've probably only put 1.5 - 2 hours into RF4 ; S this past week, so not much to report there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I've been changing! This year it's a quicker burn!
Hyrule Warriors, Luigi's Mansion 3 & Fire Emblem Warriors, all under 25 hours, as will likely Let's Go, Pikachu.
Braveland #2, The Mage was under 5.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions will be under 40
I kept 2 TitS under 60.

Of course I'm considering Trails of Cold Steel 2 next unless I go back and clear out some others.

I’m rotating between a long-ish RPG to a couple short games. I’m doing great with that system! Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Let’s Go Eevee!, and now The Last Story. Seems one a month is the sweet spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I can't wait till my little guy is old enough to play with me. I can't wait to introduce him to all of my hobbies :D

Yeah, I’m looking forward to that when I (eventually) have kids. If they are anything like me they won’t really care hold old the game is/what system it comes from. Can’t wait to have moments of me or the kids making progress and then confusing the other how that happened. I remember that happening a lot with my dad since we would end up playing the same files.

 

I’m going to start Octopath Traveler this week. I want to finish off the Champions Ballad DLC in Breath of the Wild, but I’ve had the itch to play Octopath and see what it’s all about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started playing this game called Dragon Quest IX last night after I got a little silly over the weekend and thought about playing it. I only played for a few minutes but it's the first game I played in the series and I wanted to go back to it with all my knowledge of the series. I've also been playing Runescape a bunch...like almost comparably to how much I played it back in the day. I'm (thankfully) almost done with Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's good but has some flaws that bug me, mainly the pacing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Started playing this game called Dragon Quest IX last night after I got a little silly over the weekend and thought about playing it. I only played for a few minutes but it's the first game I played in the series and I wanted to go back to it with all my knowledge of the series. I've also been playing Runescape a bunch...like almost comparably to how much I played it back in the day. I'm (thankfully) almost done with Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's good but has some flaws that bug me, mainly the pacing.

IX was love or hate for a lot of DQ fans. 

 

I loved it. I've always been a huge fan of the DQ games with Job classes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

IX was love or hate for a lot of DQ fans. 

I loved it. I've always been a huge fan of the DQ games with Job classes. 

It’s the Maribel of the series.

I “hate“ the game, but the hate is more of an exaggeration at this point. To me it was a poor Dragon Quest game. I like the music though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s the Maribel of the series.

I “hate“ the game, but the hate is more of an exaggeration at this point.

There is nothing exaggerated about the hatred for Maribel. It is perfectly level, maybe even understated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is nothing exaggerated about the hatred for Maribel. It is perfectly level, maybe even understated.
No exaggeration b2380b2df35c4effb1facbb72584874e.jpg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, eal said:

There is nothing exaggerated about the hatred for Maribel. It is perfectly level, maybe even understated.

Ok eal. Keep your Maribel hate boner in your pants, please.

 

DQ9 is a game I jokingly hate, but it is one of the only DQ games I genuinely don’t like.  It’s been years since I’ve played it so I could very well like it nowadays, and if it gets the remake treatment I’ll pick it up and see if I can finally finish the game. It’s the only mainline title (excluding DQX) that I’ve never finished.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th gym badge in Let's Go, Pikachu and a milestone day for Plattym4. He went into the Team Rocket HQ and got back Cubone all by himself while I had to run out to get my wife's birthday sushi dinner. He's resisted my attempts to try games on the 3DS before, but after this quarantine and the games he's played, he may enjoy doing Luigi's Mansion or any of the Pokémon games 1-player.

Tokyo was a tough space last night. Only knocked out 2 or 3 story subquests. They're getting a little more involved near the end and my wife keeps putting on Orange is the New Black which has too many freaking characters in it that I have to pay attention too. Need some quiet time to knock out the rest so I can get done and start chapter 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I’m going to start Octopath Traveler this week.

You should enjoy that immensely!

Started playing this game called Dragon Quest IX last night after I got a little silly over the weekend and thought about playing it. I only played for a few minutes but it's the first game I played in the series and I wanted to go back to it with all my knowledge of the series.


Yay! I sunk a couple hundred hours into that game. So much good there. People #$*! constantly about the loss of online stuff, it's still 80+ hours of fun without that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

 

 

DQ9 is a game I jokingly hate, but it is one of the only DQ games I genuinely don’t like.  It’s been years since I’ve played it so I could very well like it nowadays, and if it gets the remake treatment I’ll pick it up and see if I can finally finish the game. It’s the only mainline title (excluding DQX) that I’ve never finished.

Yeah, and I get the people who feel that way because it diverts a bit from the regular formula. 

 

I, however, enjoy the style and game itself, independently. 

 

That being said, perhaps SE can do a Dungeon Crawler spinoff with a party or character that can be totally customized. I wonder if that would take off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only took 6 years but I’ve finally finished The Last Story! I even did two of the optional post-final boss chapters, both of which turned out to be pretty important. Play 👏🏻 this 👏🏻 game 👏🏻 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is slowly inching towards a finale. Finished all character sidequests and started Chapter 6. Of course 3 trials before I can get to big bad guy, but it seemed short. I did 2 and then... more sidequests opened up! Of course they did. The rewards for those character ones are just too good to pass up though. Extra skill slots, combos and such. Hell, I've hit a couple streaks of 16 straight attacks, routinely do 8 against trash mobs! Damn if this battle system isn't the most fun, flashy one I've played in a long time!

Only took 6 years but I’ve finally finished The Last Story! I even did two of the optional post-final boss chapters, both of which turned out to be pretty important. Play this game  
Is that the last story you're going to tell us about the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is slowly inching towards a finale. Finished all character sidequests and started Chapter 6. Of course 3 trials before I can get to big bad guy, but it seemed short. I did 2 and then... more sidequests opened up! Of course they did. The rewards for those character ones are just too good to pass up though. Extra skill slots, combos and such. Hell, I've hit a couple streaks of 16 straight attacks, routinely do 8 against trash mobs! Damn if this battle system isn't the most fun, flashy one I've played in a long time!

Is that the last story you're going to tell us about the game?

Maybe one day I’ll do New Game Plus, so who knows.

As for TMS, one of my favorite things about side quests was how rewarding they are. The ones that open up after Yashiro joins the party include Duo Arts, which it sounds like you’ve been getting, which are flashy and dumb as hell but are incredibly helpful. Some will just straight up heal your whole party while you keep your combo going. I’ve seen videos of streaks going into the 20s for the Switch version. This might have been just me, but I didn’t get the opportunity once to perform a Duo Art against the final boss.

...did you do the last Barry side quest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm like 20 years late here, but #$*! that 11 story tower of the Silph Co. or whatever it is in Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu. 11 floors of warp tiles makes me crazy. My son and I played 90 minutes today and perhaps it's 10% the fact I let him be player 1 and move us around, but it's 90% maze. We must've battled every single person in there and didn't even sniff the boss's office.

 

Maybe one day I’ll do New Game Plus, so who knows.

As for TMS, one of my favorite things about side quests was how rewarding they are. The ones that open up after Yashiro joins the party include Duo Arts, which it sounds like you’ve been getting, which are flashy and dumb as hell but are incredibly helpful. Some will just straight up heal your whole party while you keep your combo going. I’ve seen videos of streaks going into the 20s for the Switch version. This might have been just me, but I didn’t get the opportunity once to perform a Duo Art against the final boss.

...did you do the last Barry side quest?

Yes. Is that the one that made people cringe because he was sad the girl didn't find him cool anymore? I admit that I just skip dialogue in sidequests for characters I didn't care much for. And I didn't care much for Barry.

 

Yeah, the DUO sessions are quite amazing. Full heal and then 8 more sessions after! Oooh, I'll be on the lookout to go higher than 16 moves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yes. Is that the one that made people cringe because he was sad the girl didn't find him cool anymore? I admit that I just skip dialogue in sidequests for characters I didn't care much for. And I didn't care much for Barry.

 

Yeah, the DUO sessions are quite amazing. Full heal and then 8 more sessions after! Oooh, I'll be on the lookout to go higher than 16 moves!

Yeah! It was really cringey that he cared so much about a 12-year-old’s opinion of him, and at the very end of the side quest, there’s a whole music video where she’s dressed like a kindergartner and he’s in a dog costume and they’re playing together and it’s the most uncomfortable thing in the game and I can’t believe Nintendo didn’t try to plaster over it like they did with Tsubasa’s cleavage in a wedding dress. The duo art you get for doing it isn’t even that great.

Duo Arts can stack. You do one and the session will continue, but sometimes you get the opportunity to do another Duo Art and continue the session for even longer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah! It was really cringey that he cared so much about a 12-year-old’s opinion of him, and at the very end of the side quest, there’s a whole music video where she’s dressed like a kindergartner and he’s in a dog costume and they’re playing together and it’s the most uncomfortable thing in the game and I can’t believe Nintendo didn’t try to plaster over it like they did with Tsubasa’s cleavage in a wedding dress. The duo art you get for doing it isn’t even that great.
Duo Arts can stack. You do one and the session will continue, but sometimes you get the opportunity to do another Duo Art and continue the session for even longer.
Yep, totally skipped that movie, although I recall some chatter about it back at release. I got this game as a kinda extra code lying around RPGamer. The owner was already writing a review, so the code was up for grabs without need for anything. I think I'll write a little personal editorial about how I'm liking it for its Persona-lite, heavily customizable, no calendar, no clock system. And how easy it is to give zero #$*!s about some side content but still be able to do it and reap benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
17 minutes ago, eal said:
Yeah! It was really cringey that he cared so much about a 12-year-old’s opinion of him, and at the very end of the side quest, there’s a whole music video where she’s dressed like a kindergartner and he’s in a dog costume and they’re playing together and it’s the most uncomfortable thing in the game and I can’t believe Nintendo didn’t try to plaster over it like they did with Tsubasa’s cleavage in a wedding dress. The duo art you get for doing it isn’t even that great.
Duo Arts can stack. You do one and the session will continue, but sometimes you get the opportunity to do another Duo Art and continue the session for even longer.

Yep, totally skipped that movie, although I recall some chatter about it back at release. I got this game as a kinda extra code lying around RPGamer. The owner was already writing a review, so the code was up for grabs without need for anything. I think I'll write a little personal editorial about how I'm liking it for its Persona-lite, heavily customizable, no calendar, no clock system. And how easy it is to give zero #$*!s about some side content but still be able to do it and reap benefits.

The thing that makes those side quests so great is they’re mostly not that hard, very few require you to do much battling, but they give such huge rewards in terms of gameplay and they’re usually pretty quirky (Tsubasa learning how to be a better actor or something from talking to a dog), and you get cool music videos if that’s something you care about, and usually a costume for someone.

The thing I like so much about the game in general is your party is constantly getting incredibly useful skills or weapons. You’re always getting something valuable for combat. Like the aforementioned Duo Arts or an extra skill slot. Even if you can’t unlock new weapons at the moment, you can make stronger versions of older ones and strengthen skills you already have. Your level going up isn’t the only marker to show your party getting stronger. I said before that Mamori is a powerful tank, but she gets more and more skills that bolster that aspect. And by the end, if you put a decent amount of work into your party, they’re all useful. The only one I outright abandoned was Touma.

Basically, I like that it doesn’t waste your time by making even optional side quests worth the effort to do. Even at the very end, there’s still value, as the “true” ending unlocks when you finish every character’s side quest.

Like you said, it’s Persona-lite. It’s a Persona game for people who don’t like the calendar system or having to schedule and plan out Social Links to make sure they do as many as possible before the game ends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would say I would be playing Trials of Mana on Friday. But Amazon just delayed it until next Tuesday for me. Damn it. Oh well. Got plenty of other things to play this weekend.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I would say I would be playing Trials of Mana on Friday. But Amazon just delayed it until next Tuesday for me. Damn it. Oh well. Got plenty of other things to play this weekend.

Oof. 

 

That reminds me....I haven't touched the Collection of Mana version in a month or two. I need to fire it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Oof. 

 

That reminds me....I haven't touched the Collection of Mana version in a month or two. I need to fire it up. 

Haha, I was just thinking of doing the same thing myself. I re-downloaded the Trials of Mana demo to give it another go, and I’m liking it more now than when I first played it a month ago.

I still cringe at the voice acting though. I don’t know if they purposely wanted it to sound cheesy, but OOF. Square Enix is so weird about VA in their games. One game it will be really good, next one it’s bleh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Haha, I was just thinking of doing the same thing myself. I re-downloaded the Trials of Mana demo to give it another go, and I’m liking it more now than when I first played it a month ago.

I still cringe at the voice acting though. I don’t know if they purposely wanted it to sound cheesy, but OOF. Square Enix is so weird about VA in their games. One game it will be really good, next one it’s bleh.

Yeah, initially I wanted to get it upon release, but now I've got enough going on in other games that I can wait for a price drop. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah, initially I wanted to get it upon release, but now I've got enough going on in other games that I can wait for a price drop. 

I’m waiting to pick it up too. I have enough games I need to play, plus since I haven’t even beaten the original yet I don’t feel justified in picking up the remake yet. I figure the game will be on sale before the end of the year and I can grab a physical copy on the cheap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...