Jump to content
cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Recommended Posts

On 4/12/2020 at 2:45 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I started up Phantasy Star II via the Sega Genesis Classics collection (it has Phantasy Star II-IV since those three are Genesis games). I’ve heard plenty of good things about the original Phantasy Star tetralogy, so I figure now is a good a time as any to check them out. I’ve stuck around the opening town in order to earn levels and money, as I’ve heard you’ll want to gain as much strength as possible while playing the 2nd installment. Thankfully with the fast forward option in this Genesis collection battling monsters can go quickly.

I like how the battle screens play out. While it’s weird not to select everyone’s actions at the start of a turn, you can use the strategy option at the start of a turn to give some more direction on what to do. Everyone defaults to the standard attack, so if you want someone to use a healing item from their inventory you can use the “strat,” option and have the character use said item. Visually it’s cool to see the monsters animated and your characters popping up to do their attacks, and the simple background, while not very exciting, fits the sci-fi mood. I’m actually pretty impressed by the animations for this game, which is cool for an early console RPG like this!

I’m looking forward to playing more of the game, and will be glad to have another RPG on the simpler side of things.

 

Also, I found out that the first Phantasy Star game was on the eshop under the Sega Ages line of games (essentially enhanced versions of specific Sega games). It was on sale and I had enough in gold points to cover buying the game, so hey, I figured why not.

Here is my controversial take on Phantasy Star II.

I don't like the game. Leveling is damn near worthless, and I hate RPGs that do dumb things like that. All the real progression is tied by equipment. That stuff is fine with MMOs. Not single player RPGs. The exact same reason why I didn't care for Final Fantasy VIII either. Everything else about the game is just fine. But the broken leveling just annoys me too much to enjoy it.

Phantasy Star I and IV is where it is at for me. I kinda think Phantasy Star II is a little over hyped.

I am dating someone right now who is a big Phantasy Star fan. She gives me a lot of hell for my take on it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Here is my controversial take on Phantasy Star II.

I don't like the game. Leveling is damn near worthless, and I hate RPGs that do dumb things like that. All the real progression is tied by equipment. That stuff is fine with MMOs. Not single player RPGs. The exact same reason why I didn't care for Final Fantasy VIII either. Everything else about the game is just fine. But the broken leveling just annoys me too much to enjoy it.

Phantasy Star I and IV is where it is at for me. I kinda think Phantasy Star II is a little over hyped.

I am dating someone right now who is a big Phantasy Star fan. She gives me a lot of hell for my take on it lol

Haha, I’d imagine so. Equipment does seem to play a major part in the game. I’m fine with the leveling, particularly with Rolf (the main dude) and how many powerful spells/techs he gets. If I didn’t level i wouldn’t have these bad boys or the TP for it!

Having said that, it’s bizarre how everyone gains levels at such a different pace. Rolf gained them slowly, Nei has gained them like crazy, and Rudo has gained them at a decent pace so he hasn’t fallen behind.

What do you think of 3? I’ve heard that’s the controversial game of the original 4, but I’m still wanting to check it out. I figure it’s worth looking into and see if I enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Haha, I’d imagine so. Equipment does seem to play a major part in the game. I’m fine with the leveling, particularly with Rolf (the main dude) and how many powerful spells/techs he gets. If I didn’t level i wouldn’t have these bad boys or the TP for it!

Having said that, it’s bizarre how everyone gains levels at such a different pace. Rolf gained them slowly, Nei has gained them like crazy, and Rudo has gained them at a decent pace so he hasn’t fallen behind.

What do you think of 3? I’ve heard that’s the controversial game of the original 4, but I’m still wanting to check it out. I figure it’s worth looking into and see if I enjoy it.

Despite the stat system flaws, I would rather play 2 over 3. While I don't think 3 is as bad as many make it out to be, I didn't consider it to be that good either. I often see people calling it the "worst RPG ever made" and I think that is way overkill. There is still things to enjoy about it. Every time I see someone calling it the worst RPG ever made, I just get the assumption they haven't played that many RPGs.

You still might find a good amount of enjoyment out of it. Considering how cheap you can get the game now, it would still be worth checking out at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

Despite the stat system flaws, I would rather play 2 over 3. While I don't think 3 is as bad as many make it out to be, I didn't consider it to be that good either. I often see people calling it the "worst RPG ever made" and I think that is way overkill. There is still things to enjoy about it. Every time I see someone calling it the worst RPG ever made, I just get the assumption they haven't played that many RPGs.

You still might find a good amount of enjoyment out of it. Considering how cheap you can get the game now, it would still be worth checking out at least.

I’ve seen people complain about the change to a more medieval theme instead of a sci-fi theme like the other games and that 3 was made by a different team from the other entries, but I assume with the former that there’s a story explanation why the game is more medieval styled.

 

My progress in Phantasy Star II has been slow, but I’m liking the game. Today I finished off the Bio Labs dungeon the main character was told to head to at the start of the game, and while it was a pretty dang agonizing trip towards the end (as in random encounters suddenly jumped up in difficulty because of those damn Mushroom enemies!) I managed to get the Recorder from the computer system there and can now head further south. Apparently something is causing the normal functions of the planet to not work as intended, and the supercomputer that supposedly runs all the systems of the planet has (from my understanding) stopped responding.

I have to say, while story moments have been spaced out, I am intrigued as to what’s going on. I’m liking this mystery style of story that’s going on, and I am curious to see what else is going on behind the scenes.

One thing I do wish the game explained was how you can access new party members. Apparently after you reach a new town/key dungeon for the first time, a new party member can join you at Rolf’s house in the starting town. You just go home, there’s a knock at the door, and said new character will introduce themself and explain how they heard about you. I’ve inadvertently made the game more difficult for myself because I didn’t realize this was how it worked for new party members! Whoops. Good thing is now I have 5 party members to use, so I decided to bring along the doctor who joined me since she can learn a lot of healing abilities. I’ll gladly take a dedicated healer so the rest of the party can focus on attacking.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, finally, finally returned to The Last Story. It’s just as great as I remember, thank God. The combat is simple, you attack automatically and your party mostly acts on their own, but there’s a lot you can do during a battle. I think the biggest surprise to me is how multidimensional the other party members are. There are a lot of little moments when you’re just talking to them that adds to or reinforces their personality. Only real problems I have is it’s definitely a Wii game from a visual perspective and you can hear the console chugging to run the game, and there’s the occasional slowdown when things get busy on screen. This game needs a Switch remake pronto.

All that being said, The Last Story is great and I’d recommend it to anyone with a Wii or Wii U.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be release on PC in late May.

Thank god. The wait is almost over.

Now I will have another game to consume my free time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be release on PC in late May.

Thank god. The wait is almost over.

Now I will have another game to consume my free time.

I got REALLY into Phantasy Star Universe on the 360 for a year or two. 

 

Boy, was I hooked. I think as I drifted away from it though, it was hard to justify the $15 per month in addition to the XBOX live subscription. 

 

It was a VERY well executed MMORPG on the 360 though. 

 

....Anyways, that was my one and only experience with any online Phantasy Star game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I got REALLY into Phantasy Star Universe on the 360 for a year or two. 

 

Boy, was I hooked. I think as I drifted away from it though, it was hard to justify the $15 per month in addition to the XBOX live subscription. 

 

It was a VERY well executed MMORPG on the 360 though. 

 

....Anyways, that was my one and only experience with any online Phantasy Star game. 

Oh wow. I thought I was the one of the only PSU players or something!  It was actually one of my first games on the 360 when I got it. Along with Lost Planet. I spent so many hours playing that game. Even though a lot of people don't care for it. That game will have a special place for me. To this day, it is the first and only with online Phantasy Star for me as well.

When episode 1 and 2 came out on the Gamecube, a group of friends of mine in middle school would play that game together all the time and talk about it. So I have a lot of experience with the original PSO. Just not online. It was a pretty good local co-op game to play after school. We ended up playing that game for a good 2 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

Oh wow. I thought I was the one of the only PSU players or something!  It was actually one of my first games on the 360 when I got it. Along with Lost Planet. I spent so many hours playing that game. Even though a lot of people don't care for it. That game will have a special place for me. To this day, it is the first and only with online Phantasy Star for me as well.

When episode 1 and 2 came out on the Gamecube, a group of friends of mine in middle school would play that game together all the time and talk about it. So I have a lot of experience with the original PSO. Just not online. It was a pretty good local co-op game to play after school. We ended up playing that game for a good 2 years or so.

Yeah, I can't really remember what prompted me to jump on the PSU bandwagon, but I do think it was my first 360 game.

 

It did get a lot of flack but I thought it was fun as hell. I sunk A LOT of hours into it. 

 

The only thing I remember pissing me off was going into a mission or quest or whatever and it was just a bunch of healers, healing each other to increase their skill. Then they'd get mad at me when I felt like bouncing XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah, I can't really remember what prompted me to jump on the PSU bandwagon, but I do think it was my first 360 game.

 

It did get a lot of flack but I thought it was fun as hell. I sunk A LOT of hours into it. 

 

The only thing I remember pissing me off was going into a mission or quest or whatever and it was just a bunch of healers, healing each other to increase their skill. Then they'd get mad at me when I felt like bouncing XD

lol

I think a lot of people just never played it online. And just did the single player story. Which was pretty meh from what I remember of it. Online was actually really fun though. I will never forget chilling out in lobbies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This past week has plain just sucked. It's been incredibly stressful with little free time so I went back to an almost mindless rpg series. I started and finished the 2nd game in the Braveland Trilogy, the Mage. Basically these games are Heroes of Might & Magic minus the empire-building. Just fun little hexagonal strategy games. With house invaders gone, hoping to get back to TMS tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were three bosses in The Last Story that gave me trouble up to where I stopped (Chapter 25). The first one was so easy, I feel like I’m imagining that I struggled to beat it.

The second one was tricky, but I figured out it’s gimmick relatively easily and managed just fine. That one in particular took me multiple retries, whereas this time I didn’t lose a single life to it. I do admit that it’s gimmick is a bit unfair because it transforms into your party members, and you need to deduce which one is the enemy and which is a party member, otherwise you’ll hurt them instead of the boss. The trouble is, since you attack automatically when near an enemy, just walking near a party member will have you attack them. So if you dogpile on the enemy, there’s a chance you might redirect your attacks on an ally instead accidentally.

Anyways, the only tricky boss left is the Kraken in Chapter 25, which is still a ways off. I remember the other optional boss right before the Kraken also giving me trouble but not to the degree the other two or three bosses did. I just obtained the skill that’s required when fighting the Kraken, and I can tell I’m a lot more familiar with the flow of battle than I was last time, but Slashing-based mechanics are still annoying to me, so we’ll see how far my skills will take me this time around.

Worst case scenario, the Kraken is still an optional boss, but any optional levels should be tackled for the sake of level grinding, at the very least, and some of the moments you can have with the party members. Your opinion on Yurrick will completely change if you do his optional Chapter, for example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to start Toyko Mirage Sessions last night and closed Let's Go, Pikachu without saving. Damnit. So I played the game for an hour on solo and oh boy am I not in the mood for solo Pokémon right now. Got back to where we were, saved, and then got a couple hours TMS in. Finished up Chapter 4, although that boss was rough. Went and did all the character side missions open to that point. Took a few tries, but I won. Time for intermission, although I think this one will be short due to the fact I just cleared out everything open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finishing up the Ghost Tower in Let's Go, Pikachu. Plattym4 is sick of fighting Gastly. Trying to do 1.5-2 hours daily now with my son. We did that with Luigi's Mansion 3 and it worked out well.

Stupid Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Got through the intermission quickly. Then the next problem appears. Oh, but we can't go there, you have to go back to previous dungeons to do stuff, INCLUDING THE ONES WITH THE PUZZLING DRESSES! I rage quit/went to bed last night and just followed a FAQ this morning. I hate hate hate that place. But, past it now and I think I have 1 previous place to go back to before I can get in the egg stadium place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Finishing up the Ghost Tower in Let's Go, Pikachu. Plattym4 is sick of fighting Gastly. Trying to do 1.5-2 hours daily now with my son. We did that with Luigi's Mansion 3 and it worked out well.

Stupid Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Got through the intermission quickly. Then the next problem appears. Oh, but we can't go there, you have to go back to previous dungeons to do stuff, INCLUDING THE ONES WITH THE PUZZLING DRESSES! I rage quit/went to bed last night and just followed a FAQ this morning. I hate hate hate that place. But, past it now and I think I have 1 previous place to go back to before I can get in the egg stadium place.

Revisiting the dress dungeon was also a nightmare for me and I followed a guide as well, but as I worked through it, I noticed it was as difficult as I initially thought. The problem is you can lose track because battles can run long and you can’t really get a full picture of the puzzle because of the layout.

I will say, good luck to you trying to figure out one of the puzzles in the final dungeon. It took me maybe two hours, which was strange because it had multiple floors with different puzzles and it was honestly just that one floor. You’ll likely know what I’m talking about when you get to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Revisiting the dress dungeon was also a nightmare for me and I followed a guide as well, but as I worked through it, I noticed it was as difficult as I initially thought. The problem is you can lose track because battles can run long and you can’t really get a full picture of the puzzle because of the layout.
I will say, good luck to you trying to figure out one of the puzzles in the final dungeon. It took me maybe two hours, which was strange because it had multiple floors with different puzzles and it was honestly just that one floor. You’ll likely know what I’m talking about when you get to it.
I guess that's pretty much my complaint, the puzzles PLUS battle part. I'm not all that bad at figuring out somewhat so-so puzzles, and I've leveled enough that the battles aren't exactly too hard. Chaining 5-7 attacks together most times makes a lot of random encounters go pretty easily, but yeah, what you said. I'm running around, got a picture of where I need to go and what to do in my head, and then bam. Two battles go by and I've lost whatever I was up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only took 6 years but I finally beat the Kraken! And still only barely. I was down to my last life. The biggest issue was most definitely his ability to bring the ceiling down on my party, which was pretty much guaranteed to knock your health to zero. And I couldn’t use Gather to draw its tentacles away from my healer to give her time to cast a healing circle because a huge cluster of tentacles would bat me around and knock me out in seconds. A win is a win and that’s all that matters and I got it in the first try and now I can move on with my life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s kind of crazy how little combat is in The Last Story after Chapter 19 unless you do the optional missions. You’d be a fool not to. Your party can level up pretty quickly, sometimes one or two levels a battle, but you get some decent stuff and it allows you to keep up and flesh out the world, and even the story, a bit more.

There’s a lot of plot and political intrigue in the second half of the game, but I’ve just hit the point where it seems the action is going to be pretty nonstop. I’m glad I was able to get my party’s gear up to snuff just in time too. You need material to upgrade armor, so everyone except for Zael, Dagran, and Calista were dangerously unprotected.

But now that things are ramping up for the final battle, I’m hoping that I’ll finally, finally, finally finish The Last Story by Tuesday. If you have a Wii or Wii U, do yourself a favor and get this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, eal said:

All that being said, The Last Story is great and I’d recommend it to anyone with a Wii or Wii U.

 

4 minutes ago, eal said:

But now that things are ramping up for the final battle, I’m hoping that I’ll finally, finally, finally finish The Last Story by Tuesday. If you have a Wii or Wii U, do yourself a favor and get this game.

spacer.png

 

But jokes aside, it is a good game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

 

spacer.png

 

But jokes aside, it is a good game.

I’ll recommend it seven times a post, I don’t care lol.

I’m guessing you played it before? If you did I’m surprised, because I feel like I’d remember you mentioning it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eal said:

I’ll recommend it seven times a post, I don’t care lol.

I’m guessing you played it before? If you did I’m surprised, because I feel like I’d remember you mentioning it at some point.

Yeah, I played it when it first came out and played it my first year of college. I picked it and the other two RPGs up from the Project Rainfall campaign as they came out. Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, and Pandora’s Tower were all great games. I didn’t finish XC since I got stuck at one point, but still, good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, I played it when it first came out and played it my first year of college. I picked it and the other two RPGs up from the Project Rainfall campaign as they came out. Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, and Pandora’s Tower were all great games. I didn’t finish XC since I got stuck at one point, but still, good game.

I’m planning on eventually getting to Pandora’s Tower but I’d rather own a physical copy even though it’s on the Wii U Virtual Console and they’re tough to come by at a reasonable price. Games with time mechanics give me mini anxiety.

I actually also got Xenoblade Chronicles a couple months back but now I’m putzing around on whether I’d rather flip it and use the money towards the Switch version or just play it on the Wii. It’s long so it’s not like I’ll be playing it immediately after The Last Story anyways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapter 5 done. Dear God, that dude who could split up into 2-4 parts was super annoying. A couple deaths and an hour-long battle later... and he wasn't even the boss of the chapter. That boss was quite easy. Back to an intermission. Looks like I have 3 or 4 character subquests to do and then I think into the final chapter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m planning on eventually getting to Pandora’s Tower but I’d rather own a physical copy even though it’s on the Wii U Virtual Console and they’re tough to come by at a reasonable price. Games with time mechanics give me mini anxiety.
I actually also got Xenoblade Chronicles a couple months back but now I’m putzing around on whether I’d rather flip it and use the money towards the Switch version or just play it on the Wii. It’s long so it’s not like I’ll be playing it immediately after The Last Story anyways.
Xenoblade is something I'm mildly interested in trying, but that length... you'd be proud of me@eal for actually considering that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Xenoblade is something I'm mildly interested in trying, but that length... you'd be proud of me@eal for actually considering that point.

Platty only plays 80 hour RPGs. Anything longer and it’s too much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...