cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

6 hours ago, eal said:

It must have been a large mound of TiTs for it to take you that long! They must have really reached their peak there.

Huge. That's the point.

Got around to playing the Trials of Mana remake demo. Game felt fine and all. But they really wanted a almost 1:1 remake with it. The SNES era  dialogue and cutscenes are a bit awkward. And some of the scene transitions are really jarring. 

I might pick it up at release. Still debating on it. Even though I still need to even start Rune Factory 4. But you can tell a lot more care went into this game over the Secret of Mana remake. The game looks really good and plays well enough. I was a big fan of the original. It feels pretty promising so far.

I might start up RF4 next week. Depending on how I feel. I still need to get around to playing the Bravely Default 2 demo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I might start up RF4 next week. 

Did you play the 3DS one?

RF4 might be finished in 2ish days. Passed a huge hurdle today. Used points to open the rediculous post game dungeon. It has level 300 monsters and awesome gear. I'm level 120 and having a hard time with the 3rd story arc that's technically post game but really not (think like DQXI). So, I sneak around the bonus dungeon and got boots that took my foot DEF from +150 to +1500. Got a couple weapons that took my ATK from +1200 to over +2400. And recruited a monster pal with +9000 ATK, whereas my best at that point was +2000. Gonna rush and cheese the rest with this guy and maybe one more if I can get one.

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Did you play the 3DS one?

I briefly played 3 (I think it was 3). So I haven't played the 3DS version of RF4. I have Rune Factory 4 Special on hand. Just haven't opened it yet. The only game that I put any decent amount of time into was Tides of Destiny. But my understanding is that the game plays a lot differently than the mainline titles.

• Like 1

I briefly played 3 (I think it was 3). So I haven't played the 3DS version of RF4. I have Rune Factory 4 Special on hand. Just haven't opened it yet. The only game that I put any decent amount of time into was Tides of Destiny. But my understanding is that the game plays a lot differently than the mainline titles.

Yes, it does. I used the PS streaming service to stream it to my PS4 exactly four years ago. Got a good 20-30 hours into it before Plattym5 arrived and I didn't have time for it right then. I actually really enjoyed it, and it has all the core gameplay there, but it's not quite the same. Eh, 80% close.

Got a few hours into Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night and today. Finished off the idoloshphere for Chapter 2 and am in the intermission before starting Chapter 3. Did all but 1 character sidequest and now wondering how many other random NPC ones I should do. I accepted one and looked online that I need to get items from the TV Studio idoloshphere, but that's currently not even open, so

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Got a few hours into Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night and today. Finished off the idoloshphere for Chapter 2 and am in the intermission before starting Chapter 3. Did all but 1 character sidequest and now wondering how many other random NPC ones I should do. I accepted one and looked online that I need to get items from the TV Studio idoloshphere, but that's currently not even open, so emoji2369.png

If I remember correctly, they give out Treasure Keys, which are useful but if you’re not into those side missions, it’s not worth it. I got on just fine only doing the party member and supporting cast side quests.

Third chapter is fun. Weird boss, cool looking dungeon, awesome party member at the end of it.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, they give out Treasure Keys, which are useful but if you’re not into those side missions, it’s not worth it. I got on just fine only doing the party member and supporting cast side quests.
Third chapter is fun. Weird boss, cool looking dungeon, awesome party member at the end of it.
Blonde chick?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
8 hours ago, eal said:

Blonde chick?

You get the blonde at the start of the dungeon, Mamori joins at the end. She’s the tankiest tank that’s ever tanked. Crazy high HP, she hits hard, she can randomly (though often) block attacks targeting party members and it’ll do reduced damage, and she has a Special Performance that heals the party and let’s her go again. Unless she was at a type disadvantage, she almost never left my main party.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

You get the blonde at the start of the dungeon, Mamori joins at the end. She’s the tankiest tank that’s ever tanked. Crazy high HP, she hits hard, she can randomly (though often) block attacks targeting party members and it’ll do reduced damage, and she has a Special Performance that heals the party and let’s her go again. Unless she was at a type disadvantage, she almost never left my main party.
She seems good. Just got her last night (that boss fight sucked). Woke up and listened to https://www.rpgfan.com/retro_encounter.html since they cover games in halves and that's right where they stopped TMS. In between chapters now doing the character quests and ready to dive into the next dungeon. You're right, that last idoloshphere was very nicely laid out with the AD jobs to do. Almost 17 hours in. The battle system is what's getting me through 95%. I've taken to skimming the story stuff, but that battle system is an awesome SMT with a FE skin.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

She seems good. Just got her last night (that boss fight sucked). Woke up and listened to https://www.rpgfan.com/retro_encounter.html since they cover games in halves and that's right where they stopped TMS. In between chapters now doing the character quests and ready to dive into the next dungeon. You're right, that last idoloshphere was very nicely laid out with the AD jobs to do. Almost 17 hours in. The battle system is what's getting me through 95%. I've taken to skimming the story stuff, but that battle system is an awesome SMT with a FE skin.

I liked the boss as a concept (usually it’s the grunts that defend the boss, not the other way around), but if you don’t do what you can to knock out his grunts as fast as possible or don’t have any Ma- skills it’s an uphill battle. If I remember correctly, he also does a heavy attack to a party member once every 3 turns, but you can stop it entirely if you throw up an Attack Mirror.

The next dungeon isn’t my favorite but it’s easy once you understand the trick. However, the gimmick for the next boss is rough. You’ll need a guide handy to keep track of what he does, otherwise you’re wasting precious turns trying to get a clear picture of everything.

The story is boring, but there are so few story scenes that it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t even go anywhere until Chapter Five starts. The side quests are where they stashed all the good stuff.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:49 AM, Plattym3 said:

Yes, it does. I used the PS streaming service to stream it to my PS4 exactly four years ago. Got a good 20-30 hours into it before Plattym5 arrived and I didn't have time for it right then. I actually really enjoyed it, and it has all the core gameplay there, but it's not quite the same. Eh, 80% close.

Got a few hours into Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night and today. Finished off the idoloshphere for Chapter 2 and am in the intermission before starting Chapter 3. Did all but 1 character sidequest and now wondering how many other random NPC ones I should do. I accepted one and looked online that I need to get items from the TV Studio idoloshphere, but that's currently not even open, so emoji2369.png

Ha! My little guy arrived a couple weeks ago. Trying to find out where gaming is going to fit in too. I've gotten a session or two in during naps, but those usually get bumped to allow time for chores around the house. 

• Like 1

I liked the boss as a concept (usually it’s the grunts that defend the boss, not the other way around), but if you don’t do what you can to knock out his grunts as fast as possible or don’t have any Ma- skills it’s an uphill battle. If I remember correctly, he also does a heavy attack to a party member once every 3 turns, but you can stop it entirely if you throw up an Attack Mirror.
The next dungeon isn’t my favorite but it’s easy once you understand the trick. However, the gimmick for the next boss is rough. You’ll need a guide handy to keep track of what he does, otherwise you’re wasting precious turns trying to get a clear picture of everything.
The story is boring, but there are so few story scenes that it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t even go anywhere until Chapter Five starts. The side quests are where they stashed all the good stuff.
The 1st half of the television studio went well, got that gimmick. Got to the place with LED floor panels and got a bit confused, but then I'd opened a couple character side stories so did them and then I recorded Slime Time last night so haven't tocuhed it in 36 hours. Need to get back to more playtime this weekend and tonight!
Ha! My little guy arrived a couple weeks ago. Trying to find out where gaming is going to fit in too. I've gotten a session or two in during naps, but those usually get bumped to allow time for chores around the house. 
I was just reminiscing about this this week. Plattym5 turns 4 this weekend. He was a completely shitty sleeper, and I'd spend hours every night in a rocker in his room. With the Bravely Default 2 demo out, that hit kinda hard this month. Basically the first 3 months of his life, I played both Bravely Default & Bravely Second back to back almost always between midnight and 5am while sitting in that chair in his room, him in my lap half asleep while I played the 3DS. Haha, you'll find that balance soon enough.

22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The 1st half of the television studio went well, got that gimmick. Got to the place with LED floor panels and got a bit confused, but then I'd opened a couple character side stories so did them and then I recorded Slime Time last night so haven't tocuhed it in 36 hours. Need to get back to more playtime this weekend and tonight!

The switches will reset the panels. You want to change the panels to set a path towards the door you have to go through.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy 7 Remake got delivered today and boy howdy do they nail the subject material that was already there. It's when you get to the filler side quests and new material that wasn't in the old game that it starts to get...weird for me. I'm a much bigger fan of turn based games but Final Fantasy 7 is a damn good game so I knew I'd be excited for the remake regardless, ARPG gameplay and all. If they just did a 1-1 remake with the new graphics it could contend for one of my favorite games ever.

I started up Phantasy Star II via the Sega Genesis Classics collection (it has Phantasy Star II-IV since those three are Genesis games). I’ve heard plenty of good things about the original Phantasy Star tetralogy, so I figure now is a good a time as any to check them out. I’ve stuck around the opening town in order to earn levels and money, as I’ve heard you’ll want to gain as much strength as possible while playing the 2nd installment. Thankfully with the fast forward option in this Genesis collection battling monsters can go quickly.

I like how the battle screens play out. While it’s weird not to select everyone’s actions at the start of a turn, you can use the strategy option at the start of a turn to give some more direction on what to do. Everyone defaults to the standard attack, so if you want someone to use a healing item from their inventory you can use the “strat,” option and have the character use said item. Visually it’s cool to see the monsters animated and your characters popping up to do their attacks, and the simple background, while not very exciting, fits the sci-fi mood. I’m actually pretty impressed by the animations for this game, which is cool for an early console RPG like this!

I’m looking forward to playing more of the game, and will be glad to have another RPG on the simpler side of things.

Also, I found out that the first Phantasy Star game was on the eshop under the Sega Ages line of games (essentially enhanced versions of specific Sega games). It was on sale and I had enough in gold points to cover buying the game, so hey, I figured why not.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:44 PM, Plattym3 said:

I was just reminiscing about this this week. Plattym5 turns 4 this weekend. He was a completely shitty sleeper, and I'd spend hours every night in a rocker in his room. With the Bravely Default 2 demo out, that hit kinda hard this month. Basically the first 3 months of his life, I played both Bravely Default & Bravely Second back to back almost always between midnight and 5am while sitting in that chair in his room, him in my lap half asleep while I played the 3DS. Haha, you'll find that balance soon enough.

Haha. Yeah, I've gotten a little bit of that but at the moment, it's still so new that it's hard to focus on the game unless he is completely asleep. 

• Like 1

Holy #$*!, Phantasy Star II is DARK. I just completed a dungeon and found the missing girl named Teim from a nearby town, and it turns out her dad has been trying to raise money and pay of the kidnappers who took his daughter. Dude turned to a life of crime to make said money, but thanks to the main characters she was saved.

So, I took her to the tunnel where her dad was hiding out, a cutscene started with this Teim girl going up to him and what I assumed was her going to surprise him that she was free...and then HE CUT HER #$*!ING ARM OFF AND STABBED HER. Then he realized just who he did that too and BLEW BOTH HIM AND HIS DAUGHTER UP SO SHE WOULDN’T DIE ALONE.

Just...holy #$*!. That TOTALLY caught me off guard, and this is only the beginning of the game! Good grief, that was kind of nuts for a 1990 game!

Wow, way to spoil it.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow, way to spoil it.

Yeah, I should have been more mindful for a 30 year old game. My bad. Just ignore what I said everyone.

Yeah, I should have been more mindful for a 30 year old game. My bad. Just ignore what I said everyone.
And she lived happily ever after with her reformed father.

Whew.

Saved it.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

And she lived happily ever after with her reformed father.

Whew.

Saved it.

Yep. All he did was slice open the bottle of ketchup she was carrying.

• Like 1

Yep. All he did was slice open the bottle of ketchup she was carrying.
Sometimes you have to. Damn freshness seals.

Rune Factory 4 and Dragon Quest Builders.

I'm about to fight what I think is going to be the first big, bad, dude in Builders. 

....And in Rune Factory, I'm looking for a Rune. And also trying to improve my cooking and grow flowers. 

• Like 1

I've been playing the second game in the Braveland Trilogy of games. It's a small tactical game similar to Heroes of Might and Magic. Good for a few nights of not needing to think about a game or stuff for a bit.

Want to get back to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but the house has been too chaotic lately to let me relax at night with it.