cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Posted (edited)

So...Mr. Foop the Third (or Mr.FoopIII) has begun his adventure in DQ3 Switch. I had enjoyed playing DQ1 and 2 as an evening game the last few weeks, and I’ve still had the DQ itch, so I figure it won’t hurt to play it in the evenings when watching some Netflix.

In this run, brave Mr. Foop the Third is joined by his trusty companions Leonardo the Merchant (my go to name for a male merchant), Healina the Priest, and Yuckster the Jester (I know the new name is Gadabout but SHHHHHH). I can’t wait to see how much hell the Jester gives me this time when I play the game. First time I played the SNES fan translation it was AWFUL. He became a Sage ASAP.

Anyway, I’m now at Romaria. Trying to get some gold so I can better equip my group. I’m happy to have a spell caster in this playthrough. I haven’t really had one for early game the last few times I’ve played the game, so I’m happy to have a Priest along for healing and status ailments.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So...Mr. Foop the Third (or Mr.FoopIII) has begun his adventure in DQ3 Switch. I had enjoyed playing DQ1 and 2 as an evening game the last few weeks, and I’ve still had the DQ itch, so I figure it won’t hurt to play it in the evenings when watching some Netflix.

In this run, brave Mr. Foop the Third is joined by his trusty companions Leonardo the Merchant (my go to name for a male merchant), Healina the Priest, and Yuckster the Jester (I know the new name is Gadabout but SHHHHHH). I can’t wait to see how much hell the Jester gives me this time when I play the game. First time I played the SNES fan translation it was AWFUL. He became a Sage ASAP.

Anyway, I’m now at Romaria. Trying to get some gold so I can better equip my group. I’m happy to have a spell caster in this playthrough. I haven’t really had one for early game the last few times I’ve played the game, so I’m happy to have a Priest along for healing and status ailments.

I'm playing III again on GBC as a side game and using a team I usually wouldn't. I have Hero, Fighter (usually warrior), Mage, and Jester (usually Cleric). Like Yangus, that Jester is getting turned into a Sage right away. I plan on using the scroll on my mage so I'll have two Sages. I'm likely going to change my fighter into a Warrior because his luck stat is getting huge increases. I'm also at Roamria and grinding at the town to the north before going to fight Kandar.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

35 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Like Yangus, that Jester is getting turned into a Sage right away.

I may leave the Jester alone and change it later on. First time I used one I immediately changed it as soon as I could. Mr. Foop the Third needs something to torture him in his journey, so it may as well be a Jester. 🤣 And I kind of want to see how long I can use one.

If I would have had a enough character spaces his name definitely would have been Dr. Yuckster.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I may leave the Jester alone and change it later on. First time I used one I immediately changed it as soon as I could. Mr. Foop the Third needs something to torture him in his journey, so it may as well be a Jester. 🤣 And I kind of want to see how long I can use one.

If I would have had a enough character spaces his name definitely would have been Dr. Yuckster.

Part of me wants to as well but I'm not gonna get to Zoma if he keeps falling asleep during battle and hitting for diddly squat when he makes contact.

18 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Part of me wants to as well but I'm not gonna get to Zoma if he keeps falling asleep during battle and hitting for diddly squat when he makes contact.

Mine keeps falling asleep too! He was pulling antics since the beginning of the game, and I thought they didn’t kick in until Jesters/Bunny Girls gained a few levels.

Didn't even play last night. I need to put my phone down more. Gonna see if I can do the entire Bravely Default 2 demo tonight. If I can, I'll likely write an impression about it tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Have you ever tried a 3 Jesters/Bunny Girls/Gadabouts run of DQ3? I ALMOST did it for the Mr.FoopIII’s playthrough but I backed out. I feel like I don’t know DQ3 absolutely well enough to try it even though it’s one of my most replayed DQ games.

16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Didn't even play last night. I need to put my phone down more. Gonna see if I can do the entire Bravely Default 2 demo tonight. If I can, I'll likely write an impression about it tomorrow.

Oh, I’m DEFINITELY playing the demo tonight. I’m very eager to see what awaits with the game and what changes they’ve made to the combat system. There’s a lot I’m hoping for with Bravely Default II, and right now it’s my most anticipated game of 2020.

Posted (edited)

I beat Fire Emblem Three Houses last night, or early morning if you want to get specific. It went on a little longer than I would've liked but it was a good game. I'll likely look up plot details for the other routes. Not sure what I want to play next. I might give Bravely Default another go since the demo for 2 is out. Although they aren't RPGs I'm playing Doom 2016 and Mafia 3 right now.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

#$*!ing Xenlon in DQ3, man. I think of all the bonus bosses in a DQ game that I’ve fought, Xenlon is the most difficult. I went back to my first file and have grinded my non-magic using party members up so they had some spells to use, and after getting them back up to how they originally were...I still can’t beat this damn dragon! He does so much damage and moves so much faster than you do.

Now I remember why I never bothered with the bonus dungeon content in DQ3 after experiencing it the first time on the GBC version. I think attempting to battle Xenlon is going right out the window for the time being. I’m going back to Okami HD.

DQII Switch: Just rescued Moonbrooke, grinding.

DQIII Switch: Just finished Rubiss' Tower, grinding.

DQVI iOS: just got entry to Turnescotte

DQVII 3DS: grinding through all human classes prior to engaging Orgodemir V1

DQVIII 3DS: I think I'm about to unlock the Dark Ruin.

DQIX: Just restarted, defeated the Wight Knight and just grinding.

DQX: Awaiting an influx of cash so I can pay the subscription fee again. Nearing the end of V2 content.

DQXI S: Everyone but Jade and Veronica are now level 99. Running through Drustan's Trials.

Chrono Trigger DS: Just started, 600 B.C. and the princess has vanished from time altogether.

Technically I'm running FF7 and FF8 on Switch but they've both been out on hold because I'm playing too many games right now. FF7 is at Junon and FF8... I think I just graduated to SeeD rank.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

#$*!ing Xenlon in DQ3, man. I think of all the bonus bosses in a DQ game that I’ve fought, Xenlon is the most difficult. I went back to my first file and have grinded my non-magic using party members up so they had some spells to use, and after getting them back up to how they originally were...I still can’t beat this damn dragon! He does so much damage and moves so much faster than you do.

Now I remember why I never bothered with the bonus dungeon content in DQ3 after experiencing it the first time on the GBC version. I think attempting to battle Xenlon is going right out the window for the time being. I’m going back to Okami HD.

I'd love to beat him one day to say I got the full DQ3 experience but from what I've seen it takes a level 60+ team. I tend to finish the game with a low 40 team so I'm not in the mood to grind in areas without metal slimes.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'd love to beat him one day to say I got the full DQ3 experience but from what I've seen it takes a level 60+ team. I tend to finish the game with a low 40 team so I'm not in the mood to grind in areas without metal slimes.

I’ve beaten him with a level 45-50 team on the GBC. Hero, Warrior, and two Sages. I managed to beat him so I could revive Ortega and I THINK a second time for the Ice Cavern dungeon (I think that’s how you unlock the ice cavern, it’s been years so I don’t remember without looking it up), but I know I got Ortega back at least. Xenlon/Divinegon is a real bastard. Only managed to beat him once on the SNES fan translation just to get the final Pachisi track, but that was a far harder time than the GBC version. I swear that the GBC version is the easiest version of Divinegon, but that’s probably just my imagination.

Anyway, I may try again tomorrow and see if can take him down. I can only imagine how hard it would be with a three party team of Jesters. 😳

23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve beaten him with a level 45-50 team on the GBC. Hero, Warrior, and two Sages. I managed to beat him so I could revive Ortega and I THINK a second time for the Ice Cavern dungeon (I think that’s how you unlock the ice cavern, it’s been years so I don’t remember without looking it up), but I know I got Ortega back at least. Xenlon/Divinegon is a real bastard. Only managed to beat him once on the SNES fan translation just to get the final Pachisi track, but that was a far harder time than the GBC version. I swear that the GBC version is the easiest version of Divinegon, but that’s probably just my imagination.

Anyway, I may try again tomorrow and see if can take him down. I can only imagine how hard it would be with a three party team of Jesters. 😳

Don't you need to beat him in a certain amount of turns to get a wish fulfilled? That's the worst part for me. Let me take my time to kill an end game boss. I didn't like that in XI with the trial bosses as well.

39 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Don't you need to beat him in a certain amount of turns to get a wish fulfilled? That's the worst part for me. Let me take my time to kill an end game boss. I didn't like that in XI with the trial bosses as well.

38 turns later I beat him. I definitely think the rest of the games with post game dungeons/bosses have handled the turn limit and difficulty a lot better. DQ3’s problem is that due to the physical only classes not getting abilities and attack skills that boost their damage output, you have to rely on normal attacks for them and constantly use oomph. DQ3 is the only game I’ve had trouble with the turn limit. DQ5, 6, 7, the final super boss in DQ8 3DS, the battles in 11...none of them were a problem.

Got a real good grip on 2 TitS this week. I'd been playing in January and then it went bust. Spent almost 20 hours this week getting back into the meat of the story. Like how the end of chapter 6 fleshed out stuff going back to the first game. Started up Chapter 7 today and almost halfway through that. A main character has returned and I'm over level 70, so perhaps we're nearing the end in the next 20 hours or so. I'm at about 45 hours into the game, and although it's picked WAY up, I'm ready to cross this off my list.

Need to get back to TMS.

Need to get married in Rune Factory 4 Special.

Played the Bravely Default 2 demo and really really really loved that. Ugh, I told myself I wouldn't buy any new games this year, but I might have to. Thinking I'm going to sell my Mary Skelter 2 physical copy for a huge profit and use that to get BD2. Heck, I sell all my games, so if I can beat BD2 in any short order, I can probably turn around and sell that for good money and not be out much at all.

59 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Got a real good grip on 2 TitS this week. I'd been playing in January and then it went bust. Spent almost 20 hours this week getting back into the meat of the story. Like how the end of chapter 6 fleshed out stuff going back to the first game. Started up Chapter 7 today and almost halfway through that. A main character has returned and I'm over level 70, so perhaps we're nearing the end in the next 20 hours or so. I'm at about 45 hours into the game, and although it's picked WAY up, I'm ready to cross this off my list.

Need to get back to TMS.

Need to get married in Rune Factory 4 Special.

Played the Bravely Default 2 demo and really really really loved that. Ugh, I told myself I wouldn't buy any new games this year, but I might have to. Thinking I'm going to sell my Mary Skelter 2 physical copy for a huge profit and use that to get BD2. Heck, I sell all my games, so if I can beat BD2 in any short order, I can probably turn around and sell that for good money and not be out much at all.

Make sure you have some notes handy for what you want to see improved after playing the demo. The game is fun, but the battle system need some work. Default doesn’t feel worthwhile since you can’t select everyone’s actions at the start of a turn, and if you get unlucky you can lose a party member right away before they can even get to their turn.

I hope with the future survey we can convince the dev team to return to the 3DS games battle system where everyone chooses their actions at the start of a turn.

Posted (edited)

I finished off the demo for Bravely Default II this evening. The battle system definitely needs some work, but while the game currently feels rough around the edges I have a feeling the demo feedback will really help improve the full game, much like how Octopath’s demo feedback shaped the game for the better. There were things I wasn’t too keen on, but for the 4 hours I got out of the demo I had fun with it. Definitely makes me all the more excited for what awaits in the full game, and I look forward to seeing how the devs can improve upon the game once the survey is available to fill out.

Knowing how demos work for these games, I’m going to try and complete all that I can. You usually get rewards in the full game for completing different parts of the Bravely demos, which I’m okay with as I want to keep playing the demo some more. Once you finish the Thief Asterisk boss (who was a real bastard, but again, I blame it more on the battle system as of now) you can keep exploring the demo, and there’s even some new side quests. I’m going to try and max out all the jobs for everyone (which is pretty easy actually) and see if I can defeat the giant golem monster in the north east part of the map and his whopping 72,000 HP. Plus there’s the side quest you can take in town for fighting a giant sand worm in the dungeon you can explore, so I’ll give that a shot too.

As of now, Default II is definitely my most hyped game for 2020. I can’t wait to learn more about the game.

I started playing the original Final Fantasy on GBA last night. I'm not sure if I want to stick with it but battles are quick and level ups come at a good rate. I wanted something simple and short so this seemed like a good option from the ones I was considering. Seeing the mixed impressions about Bravely Default 2's demo made me not want to dive back into the first game even though I was only an hour or so in...I'd be restarting.

I'm kind of chipping away at Hollow Knight as well but it's going to get to the point where I'll want to choose between it and Final Fantasy with what to give my attention to and I'm not 100% in on either of them right now.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I started playing the original Final Fantasy on GBA last night. I'm not sure if I want to stick with it but battles are quick and level ups come at a good rate. I wanted something simple and short so this seemed like a good option from the ones I was considering. Seeing the mixed impressions about Bravely Default 2's demo made me not want to dive back into the first game even though I was only an hour or so in...I'd be restarting.

I'm kind of chipping away at Hollow Knight as well but it's going to get to the point where I'll want to choose between it and Final Fantasy with what to give my attention to and I'm not 100% in on either of them right now.

You can’t judge the other Bravely games by BD2’s demo and the impressions around it. They play totally different right now. Bravely Default and Second have the battle system nailed down, but BD2 is like that kid who’s in the awkward phase of life who’s half way between being a child and a teenager.

Wait, you let others' opionins about a game's demo influence your decision about a game released 7 years ago? Yep, I'm judging you on that one.

The demo survey is up for Bravely Default II. I’m going to be as thorough as I can when filling it out because I think BD2 can be a really great game just like it’s predecessors. It needs some fine tuning for sure.

https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/196

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The demo survey is up for Bravely Default II. I’m going to be as thorough as I can when filling it out because I think BD2 can be a really great game just like it’s predecessors. It needs some fine tuning for sure.

https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/196

Good to see they're so quick to ask for feedback. Good point on not judging prior games on a new demo. 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m glad you’ve liked the original so much just from me suggesting it. I try and give people suggestion for games I genuinely think they will like, so it’s good when someone goes for it and enjoys the game/show/whatever.

Maybe when you get back to Trials of Mana so will I. I’d like to finish off the game, as I was close to the end. Plus I’d like to see how other routes play out in the game too.

Yes.

That is another reason I enjoy the Den. Reading a written review is a great way to get a grasp on what a game is about, but actually being able to have a discussion about it - especially with people who have some idea of your gaming style - is a way better way to get a grasp on how a game will feel. 

Whew! Went almost all night with a massive session with 2 TitS. And, done! Played from about 9 to 3:30am and beat the game. That last area is massive! Tons of bosses and thank God one of them finally freaking died too (unlike 95% of them). I guess when you still have a 3rd title and then 6 more games on the series, you can't exactly be killing people off. The game does set up a huge series nicely, right down to the final cutscene.

Time to now finish up some other games I've started and not finished:

Rune Factory 4. Need to get married & write my review.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Need to get past ionosphere 3.
Grandia 2. Almost forgot I'd stopped right in the middle.
Puzzle Quest. Just need some mindless time with it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Whew! Went almost all night with a massive session with 2 TitS. And, done! Played from about 9 to 3:30am and beat the game. That last area is massive!

It must have been a large mound of TiTs for it to take you that long! They must have really reached their peak there.

Edited by eal