cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Damn that final boss is hard. Honestly, he wouldn’t be too tough if not for the backup he has helping him. Taking them out takes a bit of time and my party is slowly being worn down trying to defeat them first. On top of that, two of my three party members are weak to his fire attacks. Gonna reassess my strategy and finish him off tomorrow.

The ridiculous names for DQ2 was a good idea. I just recruited Moonbrooke and, once she turned human again, said “Behold, I am Lady OOO!”

Now the real adventure begins. One thing I love about DQ2 is that the overworld theme changes once you have all three characters. Makes it feel more grand as you roam the world.

I slayed the final boss in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Interesting story about why it took so long.

I was slightly underleveled going into the boss, so it was clear I needed to level grind. Boss fights in this game require you to maintain the momentum, otherwise you’re playing defense until you eventually have a bad turn and are wiped out. The game balances this out by giving you Duo Arts, skills that activate at random during a Session. These will oftentimes give you the opportunity to get the momentum back since a lot of them give you huge boosts along with a second round of Sessions. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn’t get a single Duo Art to trigger at any point during my battles with the final boss, including the last one. So I’d lose momentum a few turns in and be dominated in three turns.

I spent all night yesterday trying to boost my party, but the problem is, you get a lot of EXP from battles, but they take a bit of time. And what you get slowly helps you level up less and less.

So.

I paid $2 for the DLC dungeon that expedites the process and gives you huge amounts of EXP in a short amount of time. Sessions net you Tomes, two of which for each party member will level them up, meaning 14 total for everyone to level up. The enemies you fight gradually get stronger as well and you can’t save inside the dungeon, so the game encourages you not to stick around too long.

I bumped my party up by 20 levels, which turned the final boss from an insurmountable challenge (I couldn’t even get to his second stage) to a total joke. He couldn’t knock a single party member out once. I honestly probably could’ve handled him with just 7 or so levels, but I didn’t want to take a chance.

Go ahead. You may now take away my True Gamer™️ card.

• Like 1

I got the mother floating boat in DQ2. Now I’m exploring Alefgard and heading off to see the DragonLord’s grandson.

Playing this and Dragon Quest I lately has made me interested in going back to DQ Builders. May have to pop in the Switch version and make it my next evening game.

I slayed the final boss in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Interesting story about why it took so long.
I was slightly underleveled going into the boss, so it was clear I needed to level grind. Boss fights in this game require you to maintain the momentum, otherwise you’re playing defense until you eventually have a bad turn and are wiped out. The game balances this out by giving you Duo Arts, skills that activate at random during a Session. These will oftentimes give you the opportunity to get the momentum back since a lot of them give you huge boosts along with a second round of Sessions. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn’t get a single Duo Art to trigger at any point during my battles with the final boss, including the last one. So I’d lose momentum a few turns in and be dominated in three turns.
I spent all night yesterday trying to boost my party, but the problem is, you get a lot of EXP from battles, but they take a bit of time. And what you get slowly helps you level up less and less.
So.
I paid $2 for the DLC dungeon that expedites the process and gives you huge amounts of EXP in a short amount of time. Sessions net you Tomes, two of which for each party member will level them up, meaning 14 total for everyone to level up. The enemies you fight gradually get stronger as well and you can’t save inside the dungeon, so the game encourages you not to stick around too long.
I bumped my party up by 20 levels, which turned the final boss from an insurmountable challenge (I couldn’t even get to his second stage) to a total joke. He couldn’t knock a single party member out once. I honestly probably could’ve handled him with just 7 or so levels, but I didn’t want to take a chance.
Go ahead. You may now take away my True Gamer card.
That post went from making me cringe a bit at the thought of playing and getting stuck to perhaps playing it soon. Love the EXP DLC stuff like that. Makes it easy to customize the difficulty level by picking how high to grind.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
8 hours ago, eal said:
So.
Go ahead. You may now take away my True Gameremoji3481.png card.

That post went from making me cringe a bit at the thought of playing and getting stuck to perhaps playing it soon. Love the EXP DLC stuff like that. Makes it easy to customize the difficulty level by picking how high to grind.

Credit where it’s due, the EXP dungeon is actually pretty well structured. Like I mentioned, you don’t get EXP from enemies, but Tomes, items that can drop when you perform Sessions on enemies, and the enemies get stronger over time, so you can’t hang around too long if you’re on the lower levels. Fewer party members means you’ll need fewer Tomes, but you’ll also get less drops if you can’t perform long Sessions. And regardless of level, it seems it will always require two Tomes for a party member to level up. From my then-current level it only took me an hour to go 20 levels.

Honestly, you really don’t need to level grind that much, it’s just this part that was going to be an insurmountable challenge for me if I didn’t. Any other boss I got stuck on was because I needed to work out a winning strategy, whereas the final boss was never going to work out at the level I was at.

• Like 1

Credit where it’s due, the EXP dungeon is actually pretty well structured. Like I mentioned, you don’t get EXP from enemies, but Tomes, items that can drop when you perform Sessions on enemies, and the enemies get stronger over time, so you can’t hang around too long if you’re on the lower levels. Fewer party members means you’ll need fewer Tomes, but you’ll also get less drops if you can’t perform long Sessions. And regardless of level, it seems it will always require two Tomes for a party member to level up. From my then-current level it only took me an hour to go 20 levels.
Honestly, you really don’t need to level grind that much, it’s just this part that was going to be an insurmountable challenge for me if I didn’t. Any other boss I got stuck on was because I needed to work out a winning strategy, whereas the final boss was never going to work out at the level I was at.
I noped out on Legend of Legacy becuase I couldn't beat the final boss and you can't grind in those games, so yeah, having that is worth it!

9 hours ago, eal said:

So.

Go ahead. You may now take away my True Gamer™️ card.

How dare you spend what little free time you have in the most convenient way for you. How do you sleep at night knowing that you enjoyed a game the way you wanted to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

How dare you spend what little free time you have in the most convenient way for you. How do you sleep at night knowing that you enjoyed a game the way you wanted to?

I’m actually considering tackling Lunatic mode on New Game Plus sometime in the future using the EXP dungeon to cut down the time. Only thing is, if I did that I’d wanna get all the Play Records and there’s one requiring you play the game three times. Like, come on, guys.

• Like 1

I’m actually considering tackling Lunatic mode on New Game Plus sometime in the future using the EXP dungeon to cut down the time. Only thing is, if I did that I’d wanna get all the Play Records and there’s one requiring you play the game three times. Like, come on, guys.
I'm kinda surprised by that last one. If I were a company, I'd have final badges and whatnot tied to beating some other company gamez. Beat Toyko Massage Parlor? Good, beat these other 2 games for the best badge!

Make money!

I'm kinda surprised by that last one. If I were a company, I'd have final badges and whatnot tied to beating some other company gamez. Beat Toyko Massage Parlor? Good, beat these other 2 games for the best badge!

Make money!

You joke but some companies kinda do that. Best example I can think of is Injustice: Gods Among Us. I used to play the mobile version and if you tied it to a Warner Bros. account you could unlock costumes for the main console game for milestones you achieved in the mobile one and vice versa.

Also, you can get the Platinum trophy to some games without DLC but your percentage score will still be below 100% unless you buy and play the DLC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried out the Langrisser I and II demo this morning on my Switch, and so far I’m liking it. It’s a strategy RPG series. What’s cool is that you can use the original artwork and music from the original release (I’m assuming Sega Genesis/Master System based on the sound of the music) or you can use remastered artwork and music. I’ve been playing with the classic mode settings and other than the character sprites looking new it’s cool to see/hear what the original release must have looked like.

Your progress gets transferred to the full version as well, so I may have to pick up the full version in the future if I enjoy the demo enough.

Only problem I have with the demo is the Japanese voice acting. It’s not bad by any means, but if you turn the voice volume all the way down the game still acts like it’s on and will dim the music down when characters speak during their dialogue that appears on screen. It’s a minor nitpick and I’ll probably just end up leaving it on to avoid the odd music dips, but I do wish you could disable it entirely. Still, it seems like every piece of text/dialogue is voiced, so that’s cool.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I am currently playing Langrisser I as well.  The game is much more refined and more true to the original than the USA Sega Genesis version, Warsong.  Information is made easier to understand as well, so I can actually enjoy the game on it's many merits instead of struggling with the Genesis' limitations.  The Warsong version also altered some art, content, and names. Rocking soundtrack in both versions though, plus the Genesis OST is included in the remaster, so... yeah!

I actually sprung for the collector's edition because I wanted the huge amount of bonus materials included.  It ships with 5 CDs of music from the franchise, an artbook, a dozen prints, and the games themselves on a Switch card.

Started up Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night. My wife was driving us to vacation, so I got 3 straight hours to delve into it. I know I was on a podcast about it once, but I completely tuned out to talk of this game. It's comepletely SMT/Persona/Fire Emblem all in one. Really enjoying the battle system. Got my first defeat last night on I think the final boss of the 2nd dungeon. I didn't take the warp I'd opened to leave the dungeon and buy better everything first. Will have to do that tonight before I play. Got a TON of free time coming my way as Florida is shutting schools down, but we're up in Cornoa-free country right now. Back home shelves are empty, up in NC, food galore! Gonna stay a while and hope it's like last summer when I knocked out DQB in a week. Glad I raised my had for this free game!

Still plugging away trying to get married IN Rune Factory 4. Just can't trigger it!

15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Started up Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night. My wife was driving us to vacation, so I got 3 straight hours to delve into it. I know I was on a podcast about it once, but I completely tuned out to talk of this game. It's comepletely SMT/Persona/Fire Emblem all in one. Really enjoying the battle system. Got my first defeat last night on I think the final boss of the 2nd dungeon. I didn't take the warp I'd opened to leave the dungeon and buy better everything first. Will have to do that tonight before I play. Got a TON of free time coming my way as Florida is shutting schools down, but we're up in Cornoa-free country right now. Back home shelves are empty, up in NC, food galore! Gonna stay a while and hope it's like last summer when I knocked out DQB in a week. Glad I raised my had for this free game!

Oh, wow. I didn’t think you’d get to it that quickly. I’m curious to see what you think about it. The battle system is one that doesn’t evolve much, but gets even better as you add party members and get handy Radiant Skills.

Don’t expect much from the story. It’s all the side quests with your party members that’s the fun stuff, and they’re really important to boot. You probably can’t beat the game without doing some of them.

• Like 1

Oh, wow. I didn’t think you’d get to it that quickly. I’m curious to see what you think about it. The battle system is one that doesn’t evolve much, but gets even better as you add party members and get handy Radiant Skills.
Don’t expect much from the story. It’s all the side quests with your party members that’s the fun stuff, and they’re really important to boot. You probably can’t beat the game without doing some of them.
Good. Perfect vacation game. I needed something a bit different for this week or 2. I'm excited to get more into tonight.

37 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
49 minutes ago, eal said:

Good. Perfect vacation game. I needed something a bit different for this week or 2. I'm excited to get more into tonight.

Only advice I’ll give you is to use the EXP dungeon only if you really need it. There honestly isn’t much level grinding so long as you fight all the enemies that you encounter trying to figure out the puzzles in the dungeon. You’ve probably already figured this out but it’s important to fight enemies because your mastery of weapons and you Stage Rank are effected and those shouldn’t be neglected. You also get material to create new weapons from enemies so you need to fight them anyways. I’d probably recommend using the EXP dungeon if you’re having trouble on a boss.

• Like 1

Only advice I’ll give you is to use the EXP dungeon only if you really need it. There honestly isn’t much level grinding so long as you fight all the enemies that you encounter trying to figure out the puzzles in the dungeon. You’ve probably already figured this out but it’s important to fight enemies because your mastery of weapons and you Stage Rank are effected and those shouldn’t be neglected. You also get material to create new weapons from enemies so you need to fight them anyways. I’d probably recommend using the EXP dungeon if you’re having trouble on a boss.
So they added all 3 bonus dungeons into the Switch version. One for EXP, one for weapon levels, one for... money? I wandered into them when they opened and was like Holy #$*!! They work almost identically to how the Etrian Odyssey ones worked.

Took out the 2nd boss in the 2nd idolosphere last night. Honestly I was completely lost in that 2nd dungeon. Missed 1 path on the map and took easily an extra hour to beat it. Almost 5 hours in 2 days. Looking at the average time on HLTB, Holy cow, guess I picked another long game.

So they added all 3 bonus dungeons into the Switch version. One for EXP, one for weapon levels, one for... money? I wandered into them when they opened and was like Holy #$*!! They work almost identically to how the Etrian Odyssey ones worked.

Took out the 2nd boss in the 2nd idolosphere last night. Honestly I was completely lost in that 2nd dungeon. Missed 1 path on the map and took easily an extra hour to beat it. Almost 5 hours in 2 days. Looking at the average time on HLTB, Holy cow, guess I picked another long game.

If I remember correctly, the second dungeon is the one with the dresses. That one was by far the trickiest one to navigate. The rest are somewhat easier to figure out.

You can finish in about 40 hours. I finished at a little over 50 because I would suspend the game on the Wii U and do other stuff not realizing that the clock is still running in-game. and I putzed around the last dungeon for like two hours longer than necessary trying to figure out what ended up being really obvious.

If I remember correctly, the second dungeon is the one with the dresses. That one was by far the trickiest one to navigate. The rest are somewhat easier to figure out.
You can finish in about 40 hours. I finished at a little over 50 because I would suspend the game on the Wii U and do other stuff not realizing that the clock is still running in-game. and I putzed around the last dungeon for like two hours longer than necessary trying to figure out what ended up being really obvious.
Oh good. Yes, it was the dresses one. I don't mind some light puzzles, but man, I was lost there for a good bit! Haha

Posted (edited)

Following up Tokyo Mirage Sessions with Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. Fun fact: Radiant Historia shares a director with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Perfect Chronology was made right after TMS.

Edited by eal

In Fire Emblem a character was revealed to be somebody I was not expecting. That was a good twist.

I finished off Dragon Quest II Switch this afternoon. I’m glad I now have the Switch versions of DQ1-3 all beaten.

DQ2 felt easier this time around. Maybe they toned down the difficulty for the Switch version, but I never felt fully challenged until the final areas. Maybe it’s because I made use of status ailments and buffs more, but whatever the case I did have fun replaying the game.

I had a surprise while playing too. I wound up finally defeating a liquid metal slime in DQ2, and lo and behold I ended up winning an MP cost lowering Mad Cap from it!

spacer.png

And then there was this funny moment at the end. I do not regret my stupid name choices for this playthrough just because of #$*! like this. 🤣

spacer.png

• Like 1

Trials of Mana demo is reportedly going up on the 18th.

7 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Trials of Mana demo is reportedly going up on the 18th.

There sure is.

https://www.siliconera.com/get-a-taste-of-the-trials-of-mana-3-demo-on-march-18-2020/