cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yes. On free days or in seminars you will gain stat points for those skills. Sitting in on a seminar will cost a free day but will help Byleth and several house members and learning from a faculty member when exploring the monastery will cost one activity point.

Awesome. Last question, seminars sound different than the other class portion. Will that be unlocked later or are they the same thing but some allow Byleth to learn as well?

After all of this, I realized I should make a list chronicling all of the JRPG's/SRPG's I've played in my life for the benefit of anyone who'd love to share in my love of particular games on the list.

I started my signature 15 years ago. I'm happy I did that so I can always look back.

51 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Awesome. Last question, seminars sound different than the other class portion. Will that be unlocked later or are they the same thing but some allow Byleth to learn as well?

They will unlock eventually. You choose the professor and will see who all will benefit from sitting in on the seminar. Byleth will always attend and learn from them and various other characters will join in depending on the teacher. If you sit in on them it will cost the entire free day.

My copy should be on my doorstep when I get home from work tomorrow!!
Wahoo! I'm looking forward to digging into the free DLC I'll finally have access to tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

They will unlock eventually. You choose the professor and will see who all will benefit from sitting in on the seminar. Byleth will always attend and learn from them and various other characters will join in depending on the teacher. If you sit in on them it will cost the entire free day.

Nice. I like that stuff is gradually getting unlocked. I'm not overwhelmed with multiple options of things to do. I'm not a min-max person but I do like to be sure things are going as smoothly as they can.

Need some ice for that burn, Ellie?

706C12D3-8CA7-45C1-9D2A-0645C79E146A.thumb.png.29f0a86a5d0b6d54dc695c31268b2d30.png

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
5 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
My copy should be on my doorstep when I get home from work tomorrow!!

Wahoo! I'm looking forward to digging into the free DLC I'll finally have access to tomorrow.

Quick question for ya: Does the game have a save anywhere feature or do you have to only save in certain locations? If so, how frequently are such locations available. 

Quick question for ya: Does the game have a save anywhere feature or do you have to only save in certain locations? If so, how frequently are such locations available. 
Save only in certain places. But, in dungeons they're at the front, every floor, and before bosses. The ZR button is a warp spell that takes you to one. And a few presses has you back in your home. So, tons of places to save. And there's 20 or so different save slots so you can make different saves at different times if you need them.

I took the day off from work so I was able to make a fair bit of progress in Three Houses. Finished off Lorenz’s Paralogue and the Knights of Seiros Paralogue. Got some good rewards and level ups from both, which I definitely needed for the Battle of the Eagle and Lion.

Man, that battle was where the game stopped pulling punches. I’m glad I’ve been trying to keep my characters pretty even and making the most of class changes because they definitely needed it. The Lions and Eagles gunned for one another while I tried to take the central hill, and I thankfully managed to defeat enough units that I won the prize for the map, the Blessed Lance. I forgot to open the chest on the map (which I found out afterwards was a Killer Lance), but no sweat on missing the chest. I was more concerned with winning the big prize for defeating the most enemy units, and I know how to make Killer type weapons now at the blacksmith.

I’m glad I’m liking the game more and more now. After the bad luck I had with the game before I wasn’t sure if I was going to get drawn into it.

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
19 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Save only in certain places. But, in dungeons they're at the front, every floor, and before bosses. The ZR button is a warp spell that takes you to one. And a few presses has you back in your home. So, tons of places to save. And there's 20 or so different save slots so you can make different saves at different times if you need them.

Thanks!

That sounds like plenty of save spots. 

• Like 1

Hilda is the best girl of Three Houses and I will protect her at all costs. Claude is my bro for life.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

Alright, so after some evaluation, I don't think I'll have the DQ XI Post-Game wrapped up by tonight. 

So now I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to start Rune Factory 4 Special prior to finishing it, or just wait till I am done. 

Decisions. 

• Like 1

Another weeklong break from Tokyo Mirage Sessions, another return to defeat the boss I was stuck on.

This one was different in that he’s not a hard boss, but he is tricky. I didn’t stop playing because I was losing to him. You need to go into the battle with a plan and some prior knowledge of what he’s capable of to keep the momentum going in your favor because he’s basically a test of your endurance. It actually took me about 40 minutes to beat him with my current strategy.

The boss in question, Dark Yashiro, can attack four times, but can split in half or in fourths and his four attacks will be split among his dupes. His weaknesses also vary depending how many of him are in battle. This might just be me, but it also seemed like his attacks were stronger the more he divided himself.

Anyways, my strategy was heavily dependent on Yashiro using Counter and keeping everyone’s stats buffed. Luckily, Duo Arts went a long way in keeping everyone’s health up and I managed to get in a few Ad-Lib Performances. It wasn’t really a struggle so much as it was an endurance test.

I hear the next boss is the toughest so we’ll see how that goes. In an ideal world, I’ll finish the game before Monday.

• Like 1

I'm liking Fire Emblem Three Houses but I am not following the story at all. Everyone has a name and there's politics and blah blah blah. I get the gist of it, some people don't like the Church and the Church seems kinda sketchy. I got the Sword of the Creator so I'm sure the plot will boil down to go find all the relics or stop all the people with the relics trying to take over the world. Combat is fun, life sim stuff is cool, Leonie is a knock off Chie from Persona 4 but I love her.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Everyone has a name

Ah yes, that is truly a problem. Everyone really should just go by numbers instead of names. Names are too hard. 😜

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

40 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ah yes, that is truly a problem. Everyone really should just go by numbers instead of names. Names are too hard. 😜

I knew that was gonna get pointed out after I typed it lol. It's more the country and kingdom names that I have no past ties to.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Leonie is a knock off Chie from Persona 4

Wouldn’t that joke make more sense if it was Raphael instead of Leonie? He’s the one focused on constantly getting stronger/training and loves meat.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I knew that was gonna get pointed out after I typed it lol. It's more the country and kingdom names that I have no past ties to.

Fire Emblem games introduce new continents and countries all the time. You learn more about them as the games go on. The names are kind of weird though, so don’t worry if you don’t remember them.

Just remember there’s the White Church, the Red Empire, the Blue Kingdom, and the Yellow Alliance (and if you have the DLC the Ashen Wolves) and you’ll be good to go.

6 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Everyone has a name and there's politics and blah blah blah. I get the gist of it, some people don't like the Church and the Church seems kinda sketchy.

Sounds an awful lot like real life.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Wouldn’t that joke make more sense if it was Raphael instead of Leonie? He’s the one focused on constantly getting stronger/training and loves meat.

Actually yeah I did see that comparison and it's valid. I was more talking about the bowl cut and shorts.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Just remember there’s the White Church, the Red Empire, the Blue Kingdom, and the Yellow Alliance (and if you have the DLC the Ashen Wolves) and you’ll be good to go.

Those are the main stick outs to me. Granted I just got to the West Church (or is that the White Church) part with the Death Knight. I'm thinking everyone is just gunning for the Church and the seat there to be all "listen to me I rule the land". I actually haven't seen any spoilers other than there's a time skip and all of a sudden the houses are fighting.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

On 3/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

The deeper lore on different areas in the game don't play that large of a factor in the game. As the game goes on, the story will teach you what you really need to know. Sometimes a student's house will come into play into the story. But they will bring it up when it happens. So I wouldn't worry about digging too much into it.

I played Three Houses for like 3 hours straight today. Stuff is getting real and I'm getting deeper into the life sim stuff. I'm playing on easy but some of my units are becoming powerhouses.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I played Three Houses for like 3 hours straight today. Stuff is getting real and I'm getting deeper into the life sim stuff. I'm playing on easy but some of my units are becoming powerhouses.

What life sim elements are in it aside from Support Conversations? I didn’t follow the news when it was about to launch. This is the first I’m hearing about life sim stuff.

5 hours ago, eal said:

What life sim elements are in it aside from Support Conversations? I didn’t follow the news when it was about to launch. This is the first I’m hearing about life sim stuff.

You could boil it down to that but I include stuff like the instruction days where you choose which stats to upgrade. Walking around the monastery is great as it feels lived in and choosing how to spend multiple parts of your day is better than the "you can choose one thing to do today". I feel like you get more done and out of each day in Three Houses than a Persona game.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

You could boil it down to that but I include stuff like the instruction days where you choose which stats to upgrade. Walking around the monastery is great as it feels lived in and choosing how to spend multiple parts of your day is better than the "you can choose one thing to do today". I feel like you get more done and out of each day.

It’s that way in Trails of Cold Steel too. As you progress you can do more in a given time frame. Cold Steel and Three Houses do the calendar system better. I still hate #$*!ing calendar systems in RPGs, but at least with those games it’s not as bad for the most part. 

Personally I wouldn’t say FE Three Houses has life sim stuff, but whatever. All I care about is unlocking the support conversations so I can see more of the characterization and get the stat boosts when units are on the battlefield.

I got the wild hair to go back to Dragon Quest 1 Switch a few days ago after work. Ended up finishing the game in 3 days after work, with the DragonLord being destroyed this morning since I was at the end of the game already. First off, it was super hard to take the DragonLord seriously at all because I had named my character Mr. Foop, so him calling out “Mr. Foop!” was hysterical.
spacer.png

Second, I started up Dragon Quest II Switch and....well, I should never be allowed to name characters anymore.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It’s kinda funny. I kept hearing about how tough Gharnef was, couldn’t find many strategies online to counter what he does, and only one useable party member could land a Session on him. And yet, somehow, I tore through him no problem. Don’t get me wrong, there were some strategies I had to look into and implement, but it was really just a reminder of the weapon triangle against the enemies he summons. I saw obvious tips like “maintain buffs and debuffs” and “use Attack and Magic Mirrors” but I only halfheartedly followed the former and completely ignored the latter.

I think what helped me win the day were these Radiant Skills I invested into most of my party members that charged up the SP gauge faster, letting me launch a ton throughout the whole battle that helped even the odds in terms of Sessions.

I’m almost there now. Maybe...5-7 hours left? My goal to finish before the weekend was over didn’t pan out, but I’ll be happy to finish tomorrow after work.

• Like 1