cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

I’ve been wanting to replaying Fire Emblem Awakening for the last few days. I don’t know what sparked this exactly (the FE Echoes soundtrack may have to do with it), but I’ve been wanting to get back to the file I started with a female Robin (who I made look like and named Eirika from Sacred Stones) a year ago. I have other games I need to play and another FE game I should get back too, but admittedly it’s very tempting to pick up my 3DS again this evening after work and play that Awakening file again.

Awakening was a fun game. I thought it got a bit too difficult later on and it encouraged extra grinding, but it was a good time. Maybe I’ll play a few chapters and scratch the itch.

50 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve been wanting to replaying Fire Emblem Awakening for the last few days. I don’t know what sparked this exactly (the FE Echoes soundtrack may have to do with it), but I’ve been wanting to get back to the file I started with a female Robin (who I made look like and named Eirika from Sacred Stones) a year ago. I have other games I need to play and another FE game I should get back too, but admittedly it’s very tempting to pick up my 3DS again this evening after work and play that Awakening file again.

Awakening was a fun game. I thought it got a bit too difficult later on and it encouraged extra grinding, but it was a good time. Maybe I’ll play a few chapters and scratch the itch.

Awakening is amazing!  I played it and enjoyed it very much!  Also one of the most important games in the entire series, as it was very nearly the very last.

A lady Robin who resembles Eirika sounds fantastic!  go for it, play what you want!

I was getting back to Three Houses personally, but I JUST read that if you want maximum benefit from the DLC, you gotta play it before Part 2 of the main story, so you can recruit the characters then.  And I was ALMOST at the turning point too.  Now I want to wait 'til thursday to play it more... but I also don't 'cause it's awesome and I love it and I want some more!

I'll think of something! Bottom line: enjoy Awakening! 

PS: Who's going to be her husbando? Just gonna let it happen naturally, or got one in mind for her?

1 hour ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Awakening is amazing!  I played it and enjoyed it very much!  Also one of the most important games in the entire series, as it was very nearly the very last.

A lady Robin who resembles Eirika sounds fantastic!  go for it, play what you want!

I was getting back to Three Houses personally, but I JUST read that if you want maximum benefit from the DLC, you gotta play it before Part 2 of the main story, so you can recruit the characters then.  And I was ALMOST at the turning point too.  Now I want to wait 'til thursday to play it more... but I also don't 'cause it's awesome and I love it and I want some more!

I'll think of something! Bottom line: enjoy Awakening! 

PS: Who's going to be her husbando? Just gonna let it happen naturally, or got one in mind for her?

The Eirika thing was spur of the moment back when I made the file. Sacred Stones was the first FE game I played, and I thought she was a good leading lady for the most part.

It will probably be Chrom. I don’t really care who ends up with who to be honest, but I figure may as well team the two up since they are starting characters and I’m curious how Lucina’s dialogue changes in regards to her mom being Robin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The Eirika thing was spur of the moment back when I made the file. Sacred Stones was the first FE game I played, and I thought she was a good leading lady for the most part.

It will probably be Chrom. I don’t really care who ends up with who to be honest, but I figure may as well team the two up since they are starting characters and I’m curious how Lucina’s dialogue changes in regards to her mom being Robin.

Ah, was curious.  I would be curious to know how that plays out.  Can you let me know what results are?

Also, no judgement whatsoever on having a family plan for Awakening or not.  I half-and-halfed it. I went in with a plan for my Robin, but pretty much let all others fall into place where they did.   It's meant to be played in any way you want. :D  Lots to be said for personal choice.

2 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Ah, was curious.  I would be curious to know how that plays out.  Can you let me know what results are?

Also, no judgement whatsoever on having a family plan for Awakening or not.  I half-and-halfed it. I went in with a plan for my Robin, but pretty much let all others fall into place where they did.   It's meant to be played in any way you want. :D  Lots to be said for personal choice.

I was mistaken. I did technically base the avatar after Eirika, but the name I went with was Renaisa after the kingdom of Renais from Sacred Stones (which Eirika is from) and gave her a hair color similar to Eirika’s. Whoops.

Playing FE Awakening went as well as I expected it too: got my butt handed to me and realized I wasn’t playing very smart. I left off at chapter 3 on Hard Classic and man, the enemies hit hard at that point of the game. It feels like you have to use the team up mechanic to stand a chance. Maybe it was like that for the whole game and I just don’t remember, but I’ll tell you, having to reset a few times was not fun.

I may have to play this replay on Hard Casual just so I can take it a bit easier. I don’t throw units in willy nilly just for the heck of it if I ever use Casual, as I still like to try and play as if you are playing Fire Emblem normally. I have another free save file, so we’ll see. I’d like to give it another go, but maybe I should use this opportunity to see if Three Houses can grab my attention again.

18 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Playing FE Awakening went as well as I expected it too: got my butt handed to me and realized I wasn’t playing very smart. I left off at chapter 3 on Hard Classic and man, the enemies hit hard at that point of the game. It feels like you have to use the team up mechanic to stand a chance. Maybe it was like that for the whole game and I just don’t remember, but I’ll tell you, having to reset a few times was not fun.

I may have to play this replay on Hard Casual just so I can take it a bit easier. I don’t throw units in willy nilly just for the heck of it if I ever use Casual, as I still like to try and play as if you are playing Fire Emblem normally. I have another free save file, so we’ll see. I’d like to give it another go, but maybe I should use this opportunity to see if Three Houses can grab my attention again.

You really do have to lean hard into the pairing mechanics of Awakening, especially early on, and MOST especially in Hard Mode.  Even more so in FE:Fates.Three Houses, not as much.  It still helps to have allies nearby, but it's not nearly as necessary. 

In Three Houses the new gimmicks are having a hub world to walk around in between missions, and more flexible, customizable characters.  That second part is the best in the whole game.  With enough patience and work, maybe a little planning (if you're into metagaming), you can make almost anyone into almost anything in the game.  Most classes need to specifically allow you to use magic spells, but if you want a heavy armor knight with a bow and arrows(why), or a calvalryman with knuckle weapons, go nuts!   Also, the ability to attach battalions of generics for added benefits and new tactics is good as well.

If you feel like giving Three Houses another chance, this week is perfect for it! Cindered Shadows is now a thing, and with it 4 new characters and new classes to go with them.

10 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

You really do have to lean hard into the pairing mechanics of Awakening, especially early on, and MOST especially in Hard Mode.  Even more so in FE:Fates.Three Houses, not as much.  It still helps to have allies nearby, but it's not nearly as necessary. 

In Three Houses the new gimmicks are having a hub world to walk around in between missions, and more flexible, customizable characters.  That second part is the best in the whole game.  With enough patience and work, maybe a little planning (if you're into metagaming), you can make almost anyone into almost anything in the game.  Most classes need to specifically allow you to use magic spells, but if you want a heavy armor knight with a bow and arrows(why), or a calvalryman with knuckle weapons, go nuts!   Also, the ability to attach battalions of generics for added benefits and new tactics is good as well.

If you feel like giving Three Houses another chance, this week is perfect for it! Cindered Shadows is now a thing, and with it 4 new characters and new classes to go with them.

I am actually pretty excited for the new DLC that is coming out today. It will be a separate campaign that isn't accessed in the main campaign. instead it acts as a separate story, and once you complete it you will have access to those characters in the base game.

The DLC is going to be pretty difficult by the sounds of it, and will take about 8-10 hours on normal to clear. Though I really don't think that $25 for a 10 hour campaign is really worth it.

1 hour ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

No need to explain mechanics or gimmicks. I’ll figure things out as I go. I always do in games. Makes them more interesting that way. If I run into challenges, I’ll face them and figure something out. 😀

Also, not gonna buy the DLC was brill I beat the game at least once.

3 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Nintendo doesn't seem to do GOTY versions right? I feel like only recently they've been adding season passes and DLC to their first party games but I'd love to get Fire Emblem with the DLC in one package.

25 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Nintendo doesn't seem to do GOTY versions right?

No, they don’t. Only one that comes to mind is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since it included all the DLC and some new stuff.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Nintendo doesn't seem to do GOTY versions right? I feel like only recently they've been adding season passes and DLC to their first party games but I'd love to get Fire Emblem with the DLC in one package.

The only thing that resembles that is the "Nintendo Selects". But all the games that Nintendo does for that never have DLC. Mario and Rabbids has a package that includes DLC. But that is third party.

Knowing Nintendo, they probably wouldn't include the DLC.

47 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No, they don’t. Only one that comes to mind is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since it included all the DLC and some new stuff.

9 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

The only thing that resembles that is the "Nintendo Selects". But all the games that Nintendo does for that never have DLC. Mario and Rabbids has a package that includes DLC. But that is third party.

Knowing Nintendo, they probably wouldn't include the DLC.

Bummer. It's on sale for $50 so I should grab it before it goes back up to $60 but ya know...bills and being responsible.

DQ XI: S - Just rolled the credits, which I also did not the PS4 version. Now I'm headed into unknown territory after that. Looking forward to it. 

Diablo III - Still hacking, slashing, looting, and exploring. Still fun. 

Trials of Mana - Not much to report here because, quite frankly, I haven't played much. 

• Like 1

I’m at chapter 5 in FE Awakening. Vaike kept getting beaten over the head in Chapter 3 and kept dying, but then I remembered they he has some pretty poor defense early on, and that’s with him being teamed up. He may go on the bench this playthrough.

Been using Miriel more though. She was very helpful in chapters 3 and 4 for the heavy armor units. I may keep using her this time instead of using Ricken, who just showed up.

It’s been nice playing on the 3DS again. I would still call this system and it’s library of games one of my favorites. Got plenty of good times with my 3DS in my college years.

I am an idiot. The path I thought that had 2 routes in Three Houses only has 1. Wasted a good 30 hours on this playthrough as it is. Oh well, I like working on supports anyways.

Gonna try the DLC this weekend if I can get around to it. I actually like how they structured it.

• Like 1

God #$*!ing damn it do I HATE chapter 5 of FE Awakening. This stupid ass map has prevented me from making any progress for the past few days, and I don’t know how I can beat it unless I cheese it with Frederick. I don’t want to do that though because it means my other units won’t get the EXP they need, but man, it is super tempting to do.

I think the biggest killer is trying to get Ricken and Maribelle to safety. They have been a headache to deal with, because while Ricken can deal really good damage he absolutely can’t take a hit. The pair up mechanic is preventing me from healing him either, as he needs the support from Maribelle but she can’t heal him when they are teamed up. Ooooooffff. (cue eal making a Maribel from DQ7 related joke of some kind)

Man, I’m stumped. I really am. It’s sad that chapter 5 is stopping me, but maybe that’s because I’m playing on Hard. I don’t remember if this map was the same headache (but just a bit easier) when I originally played on Normal. Yangus is not having fun anymore. 😭

45 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

(cue eal making a Maribel from DQ7 related joke of some kind)

I almost want to name any potential child I have Maribel just to reclaim that name from awful JRPG characters.

• Like 1

Started up Fire Emblem Warriors with my son yesterday and did a few chapters. He recognized a couple characters from Smash. It's not as good as Hyrule Warriors yet, but I think the bland menus and pretty much everyone using swords so far plays into that.

Rune Factory 4 I rolled a first set of credits on and moving to part 2 of the game. Gotta get me a wifey.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Started up Fire Emblem Warriors with my son yesterday and did a few chapters. He recognized a couple characters from Smash. It's not as good as Hyrule Warriors yet, but I think the bland menus and pretty much everyone using swords so far plays into that.

I watch a lot of Jim Sterling’s content and he’s a big Dynasty Warriors fan. He hated Dynasty Warriors 9 so much he put together a video talking about the lazy re-releases, spin-offs, and franchise crossovers, and comes down really hard on the series.

But anyway, you get the impression from watching the video that the quality of each particular game, the crossovers in particular, comes down to how much money and care goes into it. Obviously, Nintendo would never allow a game to tarnish the Zelda brand and so Hyrule Warriors was packed with a lot of good content. Same could be said about Dragon Quest. And I’m hoping this will also be the case for P5S. So if Fire Emblem Warriors comes off as bland that might be why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Rune Factory 4 I rolled a first set of credits on and moving to part 2 of the game. Gotta get me a wifey.

Yeah, the cast of characters doesn’t help with that game. Instead of trying to bring in characters from every game they pretty much focused on Awakening and Fates. While I get why they did since those are the best selling games in the series (at the time the game came out anyway), they could have incorporated more characters from the series.

Valibar being the returning villain was a real letdown too. He’s not a well liked villain from the series.

Finally, I beat chapter 5 on Hard Mode in FE Awakening! Man, that was a rough chapter. Frederick and Kellam were very necessary for that chapter, as they could hold down the narrow paths to prevent the non-flying enemies from advancing. I think it took like 20 attempts in total to beat the map over the last few days, but I finally did it.

I know it’s still early on in the game, but it feels good to have the challenge behind me now. Definitely reminded me just how powerful fully armored units are and how they can tank hits and hold the line.

• Like 1

Well I guess I’m keeping the Fire Emblem train rolling as I’m now back to Three Houses. I guess playing some of Awakening (and finally beating that damn chapter I was stuck on) was all I needed.

I just completed the map where Byleth earns the Sword of the Creator. I was worried how things would play out since I’m playing Hard Classic, but my team did a good job dealing with the map. I think I prefer the solo unit approach with minor boosts from adjacent units instead of the team up mechanic for sure, as I felt like I had a lot more control in this game and could probably utilize all 9 of my characters. I didn’t even need to use the Divine Pulse feature to rewind a turn/bad move, so I’m feeling good about that.

I do think I need to change the job class of Raphael. He can hit hard and has plenty of HP, but the poor guy can’t take hits too well. I am working him towards heavy armor mastery, so I’m hoping to make him a tank unit as the game goes on. That will help out a lot.

Meanwhile, Hilda has somehow become my strongest hitting unit outside Byleth and Claude. I don’t know what exactly caused that, but she was taking down fools in that underground map no problem. With healing support from Marianne she was one heck of a unit.

Maybe now I can finally finish off the Golden Deer path and actually continue on with the game.

It's grinding time in Final Fantasy 6. I have one more story beat to do and then I'm onto the final dungeon. My "main team" is mid 40s and the rest are low to mid 30s so my next few lunch breaks and downtime at night will be filled with running around in circles levelling up my team. I also have a cursed shield that turns into one of the best in the game after you have it equipped for 250 battles so that's another goal.

I started up the Fire Emblem: Three Houses DLC. I am only on chapter 3, but I am already regretting on putting it on Hard. I am pretty bad when it comes to tactics games. Let alone something that can crush you like Fire Emblem.

Chapter 2 pissed me off. Oh boy. I tried to cheese the chapter by camping in a corner. Only for a powerful unit to spawn right behind my army and mess me up. Had to reset that entire fight. And the maps for the DLC are pretty damn big. So it takes a while to get through. Not fully sure if I feel like the DLC is worth the price tag or not.