cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Okay, so this is a few days late of an update but basically the day after getting trounced by the Draug in Tokyo Mirage Sessions I spent the rest of the night researching strategies and planning out what to do the next time I played. I worked out whether or not I was gonna level grind and who I’d be doing it with, what items I should get, opening moves because the first turn sets the tone for the rest of the battle for this boss, etc. I spent a decent chunk of my lunch hour taking screenshots of forums posts and stuff. Then, on my way home, I decided I’d go into to battle (since I was in front of the entrance) and see what to work on from there, expecting to get my ass handed to me.
...and then I won on my first try. I did do some stuff I researched into so it wasn’t a complete waste of time, but I just find it so funny how often that can happen to me. It happened with DQM:J2 and DQ8, for example.
Anyways, now I have the tank on my team. She can apparently learn healing skills too, which just seems so damn busted, to give a tank access to that stuff since she renders my current healer functionally useless. They did just introduce Class changes so I converted my healer to a debuff user. She’s also my only party member currently that can take part in Session Combos while benched so that might be the best spot for her at the moment.
Also, as an aside, this Side Stories are wild. Itsuki and Tsubasa are trying to find a cat named Little Devil and the two split up. As I’ve got Itsuki running around looking for it, I keep getting texts on my GamePad from Tsubasa. She thinks she’s found the cat but discovers a crepe shop and decides she’d rather have her trail go cold and get a snack then find the cat. Then, she sends you a picture of the crepe and is like, “don’t worry, I’ll use it to bait Little Devil.” Maybe a minute later she goes, “turns out that wasn’t Little Devil, it was a raccoon. Also, it stole my crepe.” They’re leaning really hard into Tsubasa being a straight up idiot, not even a ditz at this point, it’s crazy.
Haha, some neat stuff to look forward to when I get around to this game.

Just passed through the desert in Earthbound. While I'm liking it, it's getting a bit too old school for me. I think I've played enough to speak semi-intelligently on a podcast in a couple weeks about what's good/dated so far. The story doesn't have me hooked at all, so... Unsure if I'll continue now or get back to 2 TitS.

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Just passed through the desert in Earthbound. While I'm liking it, it's getting a bit too old school for me. I think I've played enough to speak semi-intelligently on a podcast in a couple weeks about what's good/dated so far. The story doesn't have me hooked at all, so... Unsure if I'll continue now or get back to 2 TitS.

I think you've seen what it has to offer. The story was never really the driving point for me, I enjoyed the world much more. It is really outdated nowadays especially having played more recent RPGs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Haha, some neat stuff to look forward to when I get around to this game.

Earthbound really isn’t about the story. It’s about the silly dialogue and adventure. It’s pretty much a Dragon Quest game set in a more modern setting. Frankly I’m shocked you aren’t liking it more, but if you can’t adapt to it being an older rpg then 🤷‍♂️.

You’d better not play Mother 3 then. If the story of that one can get you then go for it. Otherwise you probably won’t like it, especially with the battle system having a combo option if you can press the A button to the beat of the battle themes.

Earthbound really isn’t about the story. It’s about the silly dialogue and adventure. It’s pretty much a Dragon Quest game set in a more modern setting. Frankly I’m shocked you aren’t liking it more, but if you can’t adapt to it being an older rpg then .
You’d better not play Mother 3 then. If the story of that one can get you then go for it. Otherwise you probably won’t like it, especially with the battle system having a combo option if you can press the A button to the beat of the battle themes.
I haven't played an older DQ game in ages, and I can do those by memory. I think I've just been so burnt out the past 3-4 months from work and family, it's been hard to concentrate on any one game for long. I need an ARPG break here. The best thing and most engaging game I've played in the past 3 months was Hyrule Warriors. Just go kill things. Little to think about. Everything else has hooked me for a week or two, but that's it.

Along with my Baulder's Gate 2, I started working my way thru DQM3: Caravan Heart just started Chapter 3.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
55 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
Earthbound really isn’t about the story. It’s about the silly dialogue and adventure. It’s pretty much a Dragon Quest game set in a more modern setting. Frankly I’m shocked you aren’t liking it more, but if you can’t adapt to it being an older rpg then emoji2369.png.

I haven't played an older DQ game in ages, and I can do those by memory. I think I've just been so burnt out the past 3-4 months from work and family, it's been hard to concentrate on any one game for long. I need an ARPG break here. The best thing and most engaging game I've played in the past 3 months was Hyrule Warriors. Just go kill things. Little to think about. Everything else has hooked me for a week or two, but that's it.

Sounds like you just need an RPG break for a while then. I think we’ve all been there. We all love DQ, but sometimes you need a break from longer games like RPGs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Sounds like me. I go on stretches where all I play are turn based JRPGs and I just need to stop and play something real time or action based to break it up. I'm glad to be playing Kakarot and Final Fantasy 6 at the same time because they compliment each other well.

I have been really sick this past week. Been wanting to play more Fire Emblem Three houses, but I can't even stay focused for more then 3 minutes at a time.

Decided to do a quick run of the original Dragon Quest with the Switch version. I got used to the sprites. But it still doesn't make them any better. The jitter when moving was god awful too. Oh well. It is one of the few games I can really shut my mind off to and just play. Managed to complete it in about 4 hours.

Decided to play the original Ocarina of Time as well for the same reason. Will probably finish the game later tonight if I feel up to it. Being this sick wouldn't be so bad if I could at least focus on something.

Sounds like me. I go on stretches where all I play are turn based JRPGs and I just need to stop and play something real time or action based to break it up. I'm glad to be playing Kakarot and Final Fantasy 6 at the same time because they compliment each other well.
Hmmm... turns out it was just Earthbound sucking the life out of me. I've put in 4 hours of Trails in the Sky SC since last night. Right back in the swing, might even complete an entire chapter today!

Scary happenings on the Vita today. Went to wake it from sleep mode a couple hours ago and got this error message:f1ad7b72e7145757084cf71785eb6dd3.jpg

Hmmm... turns out it was just Earthbound sucking the life out of me. I've put in 4 hours of Trails in the Sky SC since last night. Right back in the swing, might even complete an entire chapter today!

Scary happenings on the Vita today. Went to wake it from sleep mode a couple hours ago and got this error message:f1ad7b72e7145757084cf71785eb6dd3.jpg
That happens from time to time on Vita.

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

Guy who modded it was at a loss, as it was happening on each and any game. Looking at similar issues online, people complaining didn't even have modded Vitas. On a whim, I took out the Sony memory card that was in my Vita yet completely unused since it's all running off a 200gb SD card. Whew, all better. I think the original memory card got Corona virus.

That happens from time to time on Vita.

My time to time was every single sleep time. Glad I fixed it.

29 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Guy who modded it was at a loss, as it was happening on each and any game. Looking at similar issues online, people complaining didn't even have modded Vitas. On a whim, I took out the Sony memory card that was in my Vita yet completely unused since it's all running off a 200gb SD card. Whew, all better. I think the original memory card got Corona virus.

Yeah, the Vita memory cards, along with being hard to find and expensive, also have greater than average failure rate, especially the bigger cards. Thanks, Sony!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Hmmm... turns out it was just Earthbound sucking the life out of me.

To be fair, when the final boss looks like this:

spacer.png

You are going to have the life drained from you just being in his presence.

After all, you cannot grasp the true form of Giygas’s attack.

• Like 1

I got about 6-7 hours in on 2 TitS yesterday. Completed chapter 2 right around the 20 hour mark. There's 1 final task to do before I move to the next city.

It's interesting how you can't really grind. Eventually the EXP is 1 or 2 per monster past what level they want you to be at. That does annoy me at some level, especially since the first thing I've been doing when arriving at new cities is walking every single path and battling & clearing treasure chests. Need to stop doing that as the bracer jobs take me back those ways anyway.

Picked up a Gameboy Micro yesterday and it's way more comfortable than I thought it would be. Making good progress in Final Fantasy 6 but I checked the Micro with Leafgreen and I remembered how much I love Kanto...

Made it to the Heaven in Persona 4. It feels like the penultimate dungeon, but considering I still have like five months to go before I leave Inaba, I'm sure their will be another dungeon to explore after the next one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Picked up a Gameboy Micro yesterday and it's way more comfortable than I thought it would be. Making good progress in Final Fantasy 6 but I checked the Micro with Leafgreen and I remembered how much I love Kanto...

Crazy! For some reason I thought about getting  a Micro Lately so I could have a super-portable system to goof around with. 

What did you pay?

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Crazy! For some reason I thought about getting  a Micro Lately so I could have a super-portable system to goof around with. 

What did you pay?

They had it for $140 but after store credit I paid $50. My only complaint is it looks like the former owner opened it up and one of the screws on top sticks out just a bit.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

They had it for $140 but after store credit I paid $50. My only complaint is it looks like the former owner opened it up and one of the screws on top sticks out just a bit.

Aww. Bummer. 

Okay good to know I'm not looking at over-priced products. We will have to wait and see if I get the itch enough to actually grab one. 

Open it again and fix it.

5 hours ago, NecroBanana said:

Open it again and fix it.

The screw is stripped and I can turn it little by little. I can use some force to push it in little by little but with it being such a small handheld I don't want to mess something up by pressing too hard.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

12 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The screw is stripped and I can turn it little by little. I can use some force to push it in little by little but with it being such a small handheld I don't want to mess something up by pressing too hard.

Yep, If it works and you're happy with it, why take the risk??

I took a week off from playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions after getting hopelessly stuck on a mid-boss. Basically, they’re three stronger than average Mirages that will respawn after their turns if one of them dies. On top of that, they have a particularly nasty skill that turns your party member into a zombie, causing them to attack fellow party members, which can infect them in turn. To make matters worse, you must battle with Tsubasa and Touma, both of whom I’d pretty much permanently relegated to the bench, which meant they were drastically underleveled and, in Touma’s case, ill-equipped.

The tricky part is bringing their HP as low as possible without knocking them out, then lining up your party to deliver the finishing blows within their turns, but this became almost impossible when the enemy zombified a party member. I did finally manage to pull it off today, but, to be honest, it involved cheesing it a lot (using Itsuki’s Special Performance skill that gave everyone two turns for one turn, using a rare item to recover the SP gauge, then having Tsubasa use a powerful SP skill), and even then I ended up pulling it off due to sheer luck when Itsuki performed an ad-lib performance. Whatever, I’ll take it.

18 hours ago, eal said:

I took a week off from playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions after getting hopelessly stuck on a mid-boss. Basically, they’re three stronger than average Mirages that will respawn after their turns if one of them dies. On top of that, they have a particularly nasty skill that turns your party member into a zombie, causing them to attack fellow party members, which can infect them in turn. To make matters worse, you must battle with Tsubasa and Touma, both of whom I’d pretty much permanently relegated to the bench, which meant they were drastically underleveled and, in Touma’s case, ill-equipped.

The tricky part is bringing their HP as low as possible without knocking them out, then lining up your party to deliver the finishing blows within their turns, but this became almost impossible when the enemy zombified a party member. I did finally manage to pull it off today, but, to be honest, it involved cheesing it a lot (using Itsuki’s Special Performance skill that gave everyone two turns for one turn, using a rare item to recover the SP gauge, then having Tsubasa use a powerful SP skill), and even then I ended up pulling it off due to sheer luck when Itsuki performed an ad-lib performance. Whatever, I’ll take it.

Gross. The more I think about getting the game, the more I remember how bored I get with Persona combat and get further away from wanting to get the game.

3 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Gross. The more I think about getting the game, the more I remember how bored I get with Persona combat and get further away from wanting to get the game.

I mean, there’s enough there in TMS to differentiate it from Persona. I wouldn’t say the combat is 100% the same. In this case, it was just bad luck for me.