cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

On 1/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, Woodus said:

Font can get pretty small, you can up the font size, but for some things that a font bump will roll to the next line it won't make it larger. I have probably played 40% in handheld mode, isn't terrible, but definitely easier to read on a big screen.

Awesome. 

I've been reading reviews on Amazon but every time a reviewer says one thing, another gets on to reject their claim. 

Another reason I like the Den. 

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

11ish hours 
In other news, there was a strange noise last night. Ended up taking a cracked baseball bat from my sister and using it to whack some neighborhood dogs and wildlife outside. Cops say it might've been a meteorite, but they've taken off due to too much local gang activity.

You got me. When they put it on Switch online I'll play one of my favorite games over again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

11ish hours into Trails in the Sky 2. Haven't even finished Chapter 1 as I've been playing too much lately while doing other stuff and just fighting and wandering around. Really enjoying it! Excited to keep playing.

In other news, there was a strange noise last night. Ended up taking a cracked baseball bat from my sister and using it to whack some neighborhood dogs and wildlife outside. Cops say it might've been a meteorite, but they've taken off due to too much local gang activity.

HOLY #$*!, PLATTY IS ACTUALLY PLAYING EARTHBOUND!

How I have waited for this day to come...

Anyway, since I’ve been undecided on what to play I’ve decided I’m going to focus on finishing games that have been in limbo. First up is Dragon Quest III Switch. I’m in Alefgard now and am hunting down all the necessary items for the Rainbow Drop and the sacred items from Tantegel Castle.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You better watch out for those hippies too.

• Like 1

I got me some Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and will be beating that before I hope to return to DQ11. As far as DQ11 goes, I was just about to do a pastword quest before attending business in Lonalulu.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest III Switch has been finished! Thanks to the combined efforts of Plattym3, Woodus, Liamland, and myself, we defeated Zoma and saved Alefgard. Now I am known as Erdrick.

As for where I disappeared too after the celebrations? I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

I’m glad to have this version of the game done. I still prefer the Super Nintendo version with the fan translation, but I always enjoy playing through DQ3 regardless. I may be as bold as trying a full Goof-off/Gadabout party next time I play, but we’ll see. Gotta have the hero travel the world with his three bunny girls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I got me some Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and will be beating that before I hope to return to DQ11. As far as DQ11 goes, I was just about to do a pastword quest before attending business in Lonalulu.

You know what? I’m seriously considering swinging back to my Wii U version of TMS. It’s a damn good game and I hope the Switch version gives it a second wind.

• Like 1

I started up Golf Story. The game is pretty fun and has some good humor. The only thing I have kinda noticed is that the game seems to be a little forgiving when it comes to the ball landing. Almost as if the game has some sort of auto aim on it. Maybe I am just imagining it or something. Either way, pretty good game if you are into golf games.

Got around to playing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo as well. I went with Eevee as my main with Machop as my partner. Had a lot of fun with this as well. But I think it might be a while for me to get to this game with how insane the early 2020 game lineup is going. My only big complaint is that it is pretty cumbersome and slow to manage bank inventory and changing skills.

Playing more Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Even though I am doing the same house as last time, I am taking my time with the dialogue and story again. So it might take a while to get through it. Just hope I don't get the bad ending again.

...and I’ve now resumed Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It took a moment to get my bearings but I’m back in it. Man, I forgot how satisfying chaining attacks are. The camera in dungeons is ass though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eal said:

...and I’ve now resumed Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It took a moment to get my bearings but I’m back in it. Man, I forgot how satisfying chaining attacks are. The camera in dungeons is ass though.

Nice! What chapter are you on? I'm partway into Chapter 2 myself. 

I love the Session Chains, too.  Skill inheritance from weapons is a nice touch, too.  Slightly easier than that done in SMT4 or SMT4A.  The use of the weapon triangle as an extra set of weaknesses is fitting as well.  Heck I love a lot of how the combat mechanics play out in this game.

6 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Nice! What chapter are you on? I'm partway into Chapter 2 myself. 

I love the Session Chains, too.  Skill inheritance from weapons is a nice touch, too.  Slightly easier than that done in SMT4 or SMT4A.  The use of the weapon triangle as an extra set of weaknesses is fitting as well.  Heck I love a lot of how the combat mechanics play out in this game.

I’ve cleared the mini-boss in Chapter Two. I’ll likely finish the chapter tonight.

11 hours ago, eal said:

People mention the combat being great but what makes it special, different, or good?

11 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

People mention the combat being great but what makes it special, different, or good?

Okay, so it’s basically SMT/Persona combat, where skills can do extra damage to enemies if they’re weak to it, but as you use certain skills your party members can use Session Skills that combo chain bonus damage on your enemies. Get a good combo going and you can defeat an enemy in one party member’s turn. Also, weapons are where you get skills, and you should be constantly swapping out weapons you’ve mastered to gain new skills. There’s a lot of meat to chew on in customizing your combat.

47 minutes ago, eal said:

Okay, so it’s basically SMT/Persona combat, where skills can do extra damage to enemies if they’re weak to it, but as you use certain skills your party members can use Session Skills that combo chain bonus damage on your enemies. Get a good combo going and you can defeat an enemy in one party member’s turn. Also, weapons are where you get skills, and you should be constantly swapping out weapons you’ve mastered to gain new skills. There’s a lot of meat to chew on in customizing your combat.

I'm kind of bored with Persona combat. Towards the end of 5 it just got stale. I say that loving the extremely simple Dragon Quest combat, simple is better for me.

Another productive weekend for me. Several hours into both DQXI: S and Diablo III

2 hours ago, eal said:

For those who don't know, there's also a passive ability that the hero Itsuki learns early on that lets Sessions overflow, so if one move in the combo defeats it's target, the next lands on another foe in the mob. The end of one enemy can be the start of finishing another.  If that enemy was also whittled down some, you can conceivably defeat several foes in one move, and it doesn't even necessarily have to be your best one that kicks it off.  After all, the only thing better than one-shotting an enemy is one-shotting multiple enemies.  The only thing better than THAT is to do so as efficiently as possible. 

Also, group hits have a primary target that gets the hits from the Session, and better yet, Magic Stones and other combat items trigger Sessions.  It's so fun!

I'm playing on Hard, but it sure doesn't feel like it!  These chars are just OP. I like it though.

PS: I have lost 2 or 3 times, mostly to Savage mobs. 

Again for those who don't know, a normal enemy symbol is clad in red robes on the field.  A "savage" mob is clad in black.  Normal enemies can be stunned with a field sword strike and engaged at advantage or escaped from... Savage mobs can't.  Savage mobs are always harder parties of enemies found in the dungeons, superior in power and number to the average ones.  They can end your game if not careful.

^ yeah the difficulty is child’s play. You level up at least one of your party members every encounter. Obviously this is early in the game so this’ll slow down but I basically shot up 7-8 levels in two hours of running around the first half of the dungeon I’m in. I’ve mastered like three weapons for each of my party members as well.

Beat Shadow Mitsuo in Persona 4 which I assume is about the halfway point in the game. Been liking this game so far except for the Shadow Mitsuo fight which I found to drag its ass and be a bore in general. Also I'm finding the monster designs to be kinda boring; same general color schemes of greys/purples and lacking in variety. I suppose I'm so used to the colorful cast of monsters in Dragon Quest that most of the the ones I've seen in Persona 4 seem kinda meh by comparison.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MegaSilverX1 said:

Beat Shadow Mitsuo in Persona 4 which I assume is about the halfway point in the game. Been liking this game so far except for the Shadow Mitsuo fight which I found to drag its ass and be a bore in general. Also I'm finding the monster designs to be kinda boring; same general color schemes of greys/purples and lacking in variety. I suppose I'm so used to the colorful cast of monsters in Dragon Quest that most of the the ones I've seen in Persona 4 seem kinda meh by comparison.

Is that the video game guy? If so I'd say you're probably right.

Didn’t make any story progress last night playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions but took the opportunity, since I hit an Intermission, to do some side quests for party members and story characters. I like how, even doing stuff like this, the game still rewards you with stuff that powers up your party or makes traversing the Idolasphere easier and other stuff like that. My party feels like it’s constantly improving in some small way with every side quest or battle.

The story is very whatever but there’s an inherent charm to the quirkiness of Tokyo Mirage Sessions that keeps a smile on my face. Stuff like having to run around the Idolasphere looking for ingredients for a hangover cure because the head of the company is still recovering from the night before or looking for someone named TikiIsMyWaifu is just so appealing to me. And a lot of the dialogue is just pretty funny too, even when it’s unintentional.

• Like 1

Got a short run of Trials of Mana early this morning. Hopefully I can get in a few more short bursts throughout the day. 

So far, I'm quite satisfied by the frequency of save points. 

So while I finished Trails in the Sky SC's first chapter at a lengthy 15 hours, I put that on pause because I've been missing doing podcasts lately. After being on RPG Cast this past Saturday unexpectedly, I jumped into Earthbound for the first time and should be recording the Mother of all podcasts in early February. Printed out the old SNES strategy guide to help me through this and I'm about to get my 2nd party member soon (thank goodness, I'm over 1 person battles already). Pretty good so far, but oh man, so so so SNES 90s.

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

So while I finished Trails in the Sky SC's first chapter at a lengthy 15 hours, I put that on pause because I've been missing doing podcasts lately. After being on RPG Cast this past Saturday unexpectedly, I jumped into Earthbound for the first time and should be recording the Mother of all podcasts in early February. Printed out the old SNES strategy guide to help me through this and I'm about to get my 2nd party member soon (thank goodness, I'm over 1 person battles already). Pretty good so far, but oh man, so so so SNES 90s.

It's one of my favorite games but hot damn is it flawed. I have a copy of the strategy guide now but the Starman.net walkthrough was what I used on my first playthrough. Fangamer also has an amazing, in world, guide you can buy.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

It's one of my favorite games but hot damn is it flawed. I have a copy of the strategy guide now but the Starman.net walkthrough was what I used on my first playthrough. Fangamer also has an amazing, in world, guide you can buy.

The only problem I have with Earthbound is the difficulty spike once you try and leave the Fourside Mall through completing the Monotoli Building. I love the game and would put it in my top 10 games. It was because of how similar it plays to Dragon Quest that I credit Earthbound helping me get back to DQ/the main series games back in 2010.

@Plattym3 if you guys ever have me on Slime Time again I’ll have to mention that.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The only problem I have with Earthbound is the difficulty spike once you try and leave the Fourside Mall through completing the Monotoli Building. I love the game and would put it in my top 10 games. It was because of how similar it plays to Dragon Quest that I credit Earthbound helping me get back to DQ/the main series games back in 2010.

@Plattym3 if you guys ever have me on Slime Time again I’ll have to mention that.

Absolutely agree. Once you get past Summers the game gets more manageable but the area after Twoson and the desert send shivers down my spine.