cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Posted (edited)

So Yuffie's side quest in Final Fantasy 7 is dumb but I got a cool materia out of it. I tell ya, you slap a 3x speed option on your Switch JRPG and I will grind until the sun comes up. In my PS4 playthrough I stuck to a set team and left everyone else on the bench. Now I'm constantly swapping my team and keeping everyone around the same level...including that one.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

Began playing The Witcher 1.

It's not what I expected.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I remember playing a little bit of it way back when. What is it that you weren't expecting?

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So the newest trailer for Oddity (formerly called Mother 4) just popped up, and the game is looking pretty sweet.

Man, it’s nuts how long this game has been in development for. I’m glad the team behind it is still working on it and have kept the Earthbound/Mother inspiration intact. Hopefully we’ll see if release this year.

I usually don't have much hope in fan games. But that looks REALLY good. 

7 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I heard a lot of people have started playing Witcher 3 because of the Netflix show, either for the first time or because of renewed interest.

I heard a lot of people have started playing Witcher 3 because of the Netflix show, either for the first time or because of renewed interest.
Never played the games, only read the books until the show came along. I've been watching the series and it gave me the kick to finally check out the game series.

I'm into the "plot dump" part of Final Fantasy 7 where everything goes tits up. I think I'll get Cloud's ultimate weapon before fighting Sepiroth this time. I think I have my end game party planned out so I'm gonna focus on grinding with them.

• Like 1

Finished Pokemon Shield. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would; would probably rank it somewhere in the middle. My team was: Rillaboom, Noivern, Gastrodon, Gallade, Toxtricity, and Sylveon. Unless I feel like going through the post game, Persona 4 will be the next RPG I'll be playing or at the very least, trying.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, The Dog of Zahan said:

Nope. Still in the first half of the game.  About to go to ruined Dundrasil I just the Rainbough yoinked by Rab and Jade, after the Vince Vanquish spider venom doping debacle.  I had a busy day yesterday, will get back on track tonight.

Gotcha. Plenty more fun in store :)

As for me, I finally got my gaming den set up in my new house, so I played a few solid hours of Diablo III, which I haven't done in a long time. I also ordered and received Dragon Quest Builders, but I probably wont start it for a good while.

Also played somewhat trivial amounts of DQ XI : S and Trials of Mana

Think I'm gonna try to breed for a gold Chocobo and get Knights of the Round. I found a video where you don't have to race them and just do some specific steps and amount of battles.

Wow. Darkest Dungeon apparently wasn’t happy that I didn’t play it the last few days. I loaded up the game and got my party ready to explore the Ruins, and the very first battle I got into was with the god damn Collector, aka the head hunter. He is a very difficult encounter, and one you don’t normally run into in low level dungeons, so I got extremely unlucky. And because of that fight, now Woodus Jr., Zahan, Drippy, and Platty all died.

HATE YOU TOO, GAME!!!!! 🤣

Man, that was rough. Hopefully The Collector will stay far away from my dungeon runs tonight.

• Like 1

Well it only took way longer than I thought it would after getting the game for Christmas, but I’m finally able to play Fire Emblem Three Houses. Long story short, the copy of the game I got as a gift ended up being a European copy (had a PEGI rating instead of an ESRB rating) and had to wait.

I’m not sure if I’ll start tomorrow since I want to finish Breath of the Wild as I’m just about to enter Hyrule Castle, but HOPEFULLY I can finally get Three Houses going tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Long story short, the copy of the game I got as a gift ended up being a European copy (had a PEGI rating instead of an ESRB rating) and had to wait.

This happened to me twice in the past!

The first time, it was Root Letter for Vita. I didn’t notice the PEGI label and played it and it was fine so I didn’t bother trying to return it.

The second time, it was Gravity Rush 2 and the box was totally in French and the person the gift giver bought it from on Amazon explained on a piece of paper or a label on the seal explained you can change the language to English by navigating around the menus. I was like, “eff that,” and used the money on the return to get a copy from a store.

10 minutes ago, eal said:

This happened to me twice in the past!

The first time, it was Root Letter for Vita. I didn’t notice the PEGI label and played it and it was fine so I didn’t bother trying to return it.

The second time, it was Gravity Rush 2 and the box was totally in French and the person the gift giver bought it from on Amazon explained on a piece of paper or a label on the seal explained you can change the language to English by navigating around the menus. I was like, “eff that,” and used the money on the return to get a copy from a store.

I tried to tell the person who gave it to me that I could play it fine on my Switch since they are region free and the only hiccup may be if I had wanted to get the DLC in the future, but they told they would get it replaced.

I knew better than to try and argue, so I just said “Okay,” and gave them the game back the next day.

10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m not sure if I’ll start tomorrow since I want to finish Breath of the Wild as I’m just about to enter Hyrule Castle, but HOPEFULLY I can finally get Three Houses going tomorrow.

Get in there and show Ganon who's boss.

I got my gold chocobo last night by watching a video that shows how to do it without racing. It legit took me 20 minutes of breeding and maybe 10 to get the 2 chocobos I needed. Got Knights of the Round and Cloud back so I'm gonna move the story forward a bit and grind to be able to kill Ultimate Weapon though it won't likely be too hard with the  best materia in the game in my possession...

Started up Fire Emblem Three Houses this evening. Currently I’m at the Monastery Academy place thingie (honestly I’m not really sure what to even call it since they call it a monastery then a military academy then a bakery then a strip mall...) and am now getting to know all the characters/leads of each house. I almost wish there was a 4th house with the color green because then I could have named the main character Harry Potter and jokingly pretended it was Hogwarts or something.

All that nonsense aside, I’m at the beginning portions of the game, and it sounds like I’ll be choosing my starting route pretty quickly. Going for a Hard Classic run, but maybe I’ll switch to Casual in the event this game doesn’t have a Mila’s Turnwheel type function to try and fix any mistakes. So far so good with the game, and I’m thinking I may go with the Golden Deer house first due to the country it’s for: the Leicester Alliance. The way it’s pronounced is “Lester,” which was my grandpa’s name who passed away 2 years ago. It may be a sign to go with the Golden Deer route first, but we’ll see what happens!

One nitpick I must admit the animations for characters are rather stiff. It’s weird to see characters move their heads or clothes around but there’s not any movement to them. Perhaps it’s just the jump to using 3D models all the time again instead of what IS did on the 3DS.

I am really liking how all the dialogue is fully voiced, and by some pretty good voice actors and actresses so far. I was really impressed with that in Shadows of Valentia, so I’m glad they did it again. I’ve recognized several voices already but I’m trying not to think about it and just enjoy the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, I totally take back what I said about trying not to recognize the voice actors. I just realized the sexy teacher lady’s voice is the voice actress who played Ash and his mom back when 4Kids were in charge of subbing Pokémon! I can’t unhear it now, and now it makes the scene where she wanted alone time with Byleth all the funnier! 🤣

I’m never going to be able to take this character seriously at all now.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

27 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ok, I totally take back what I said about trying not to recognize the voice actors. I just realized the sexy teacher lady’s voice is the voice actress who played Ash and his mom back when 4Kids were in charge of subbing Pokémon! I can’t unhear it now, and now it makes the scene where she wanted alone time with Byleth all the funnier! 🤣

I’m never going to be able to take this character seriously at all now.

Out of nowhere she’s been in quite a few shows and games. Ever since they changed the cast of Pokémon, she was doing random children’s cartoons, and now she’s in Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Super, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and a few other things I’d never expect to see her in.

Finished off the first major battle of Three Houses. Man, had a few close calls already, but my team pulled through and the Golden Deer had their first real success. Got a few characters to reach level 5 too and managed to class change them once I got back to the Monastery.

What’s awesome is that in the first battle you are given access to Divine Pulse, which is the Mila’s Turnwheel of this game. SOOOOOOOOO happy to be able to use that now. I loved that mechanic in Shadows of Valentia, and I’m glad they kept it in Three Houses.

Sothis, a character who seems to have a connection to Byleth, says she recognized the place where you have your first major battle. I’m just calling it now, Sothis is probably the Goddess that keeps getting mentioned by has either been reborn in a new form via Sothis or we have a Jesus situation where Sothis is the daughter of the Goddess. We’ll see what happens, but I have a hunch it’s the former.

Anyway, got another dungeon done in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX Demo and collected all the orbs in Dragon Quest III Switch. I’ve been trying to finish DQ3 when I can’t play on the TV/since I left it in limbo, and now I can go and awaken Ramia.

It’s kind of weird to be playing a Pokémon game again (even if it is a demo) since I don’t have much interest in Pokémon. The Pokémon direct did kind of catch my attention with that new content coming to Sword and Shield, but that could also have been from Mystery Dungeon DX. I must admit that I really like the mystery dungeon formula, so I may just have to get the full game in March.

Started up South Park: The Stick of Truth today. Don’t know how I feel about the combat, but we’ll see. I heard reports online that Normal difficulty is too easy so I bumped it up to Hardcore to see how far I can get on that level. My class is Jew, since I read they’re OP on Hardcore.

• Like 1

I beat Final Fantasy last night. I'm waiting for Kakarot reviews now and trying not to get into a long-ish game if they turn out well. Whatever I do play I don't want it to be turn based, I'm thinking Dishonored 2.

• Like 1

Well Three Houses just got knocked down on the “I’m liking this game,” pedestal. #$*!ing game didn’t warn me that doing a battle on one of the free days would eat up the entire time and I would end up missing out on all the side quests from that day, so now I have to go back to my save from 5 hours behind save and not miss them.

This is why I #$*!ing hate RPGs that have a calendar system. You do one goddamn thing and the game slaps you with a content missing penalty. At least the Cold Steel games are generous to warn you that doing a particular thing will take time and you’ll miss stuff, so go do whatever you need to first and then come back.

Now I get to replay 5 hours worth of content just to get back to where I was and not miss out on something. Guess I get to make a bunch of back up saves just to make sure this #$*! doesn’t happen again.

Guess it’s time to listen to some of the Runaway Guys content to pass the time. HOO. RAAAAAAAAAAY.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well Three Houses just got knocked down on the “I’m liking this game,” pedestal. #$*!ing game didn’t warn me that doing a battle on one of the free days would eat up the entire time and I would end up missing out on all the side quests from that day, so now I have to go back to my save from 5 hours behind save and not miss them.

Are you talking about the investigation and fight at the academy? I had the same thing happen to me as well.

I wouldn't let it get to you too much. It doesn't set you back that much.

Edited by Twinkie

This is why I #$*!ing hate RPGs that have a calendar system. You do one goddamn thing and the game slaps you with a content missing penalty. At least the Cold Steel games are generous to warn you that doing a particular thing will take time and you’ll miss stuff, so go do whatever you need to first and then come back.

Now I get to replay 5 hours worth of content just to get back to where I was and not miss out on something. Guess I get to make a bunch of back up saves just to make sure this #$*! doesn’t happen again.
Guess it’s time to listen to some of the Runaway Guys content to pass the time. HOO. RAAAAAAAAAAY.
That's OK. A guy I podcast with hit a point in the Blue house run where you can supposedly very easily get on a bad ending track and without foreknowledge blew that run. He was super bitter for weeks about it.

Are you talking about the investigation and fight at the academy? I had the same thing happen to me as well.

I wouldn't let it get to you too much. It doesn't set you back that much.
You're talking about @YangustheLegendaryBandit who replayed (all? Most?) of Suikoden 2 due to a single missed person. He likes to complete!