cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

17 minutes ago, eal said:

Pokémon Shield was the most I’ve ever been engaged with a Pokémon game since Gen IV. Y, the Gen III remakes, and Moon were a drag. I wish I could say I blitzed through the story but I completely halted my progress to catch everything I could before moving on.

While I enjoyed Moon, I basically forced myself to finish Ultra Moon. I didn't bother with the Let's Go games.

While I enjoyed Moon, I basically forced myself to finish Ultra Moon. I didn't bother with the Let's Go games.
Same. Enjoyed Moon.
Have Ultra Sun, but haven't started it.
Have a Let's Go game because it came with the Switch I bought, but it sits alone at the bottom of a drawer.
Finished Pocket Monsters Green yesterday and now I'm not sure which RPG I got for Xmas I want to play next: Pokemon Shield or Persona 4. I'm WAY more familiar with Pokemon but the gen 8 games look really boring whereas I have little experience with the Persona series (finished Persona Q2 and played a bit of Persona Q and 5), but they look fun; doubt I'd get around to beating it though.
Persona 4 was a top-notch gaming experience for me. I've said before it's a personal top 10, maybe top 5 game for me. Absolutely loved it.

Started playing on a Morrowind server, going through the main quest. And of course, I'm still working on Dragon Quest X.

• Like 1

Currently grinding to get 30k gold to get the lifetime Gold Saucer pass in Final Fantasy 7. I'm much more willing to do side stuff on Switch and with 3x speed up.

Been grinding for skill & magic coins in Grandia 2. Man, I love this battle system!

On 12/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

Nice. I got to chapter 3 in the first game and something else came out so I stopped playing it. I'd love to get back to it but I forget about it whenever I start a new RPG.

Yeah, I've heard good things about the series, and like I said there was a fantastic deal on the game, so hopefully it'll be a win-win. 

Been grinding for skill & magic coins in Grandia 2. Man, I love this battle system!
The HD remake or the original PS2 version? Cause call me an idiot, but I bought the Remaster, yet also bought the PS2 version.

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

28 minutes ago, NecroBanana said:

The HD remake or the original PS2 version? Cause call me an idiot, but I bought the Remaster, yet also bought the PS2 version.

The original release of Grandia 2 is actually on the Dreamcast. Same with the original Grandia originally being a Sega Saturn game. Both games revived Playstation (or PS2 for Grandia 2’s case) ports to try and raise sales since both were originally for systems that sold ok to meh.

They play the same but there are graphical and slow down issues with the PlayStation ports. Grandia 2 is definitely one you were better off playing the Dreamcast version over the PS2 version if you could back in the day.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:55 AM, Plattym3 said:

Same. Enjoyed Moon.
Have Ultra Sun, but haven't started it.
Have a Let's Go game because it came with the Switch I bought, but it sits alone at the bottom of a drawer. Persona 4 was a top-notch gaming experience for me. I've said before it's a personal top 10, maybe top 5 game for me. Absolutely loved it.

I enjoyed Ultra Moon. Solid 7.5/10. 

Shield continues to slip further down my "Wanted-Game" list though. Unfortunately, however, Pokemon games usually don't drop very much in price. Other games do. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed Ultra Moon. Solid 7.5/10. 

Shield continues to slip further down my "Wanted-Game" list though. Unfortunately, however, Pokemon games usually don't drop very much in price. Other games do. 
In a year or two it'll be $30

HD Remake on Switch.

The original release of Grandia 2 is actually on the Dreamcast. Same with the original Grandia originally being a Sega Saturn game. Both games revived Playstation (or PS2 for Grandia 2’s case) ports to try and raise sales since both were originally for systems that sold ok to meh.
They play the same but there are graphical and slow down issues with the PlayStation ports. Grandia 2 is definitely one you were better off playing the Dreamcast version over the PS2 version if you could back in the day.
4 hours in and the slowdown on battles is SO REAL. It's not unbearable, but it's noticeable. Still, I love this series.

How does Final Fantasy 6 on GBA compare to the SNES version? A local game store has a boxed copy for sale and I'm considering getting it. I have the PS1 version on Vita but I'll be damned to dust that thing off, plus I see the loading times of that version are bad. I also have it on my SNES mini but I prefer to play long ass RPGs on handhelds if I can.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

In a year or two it'll be $30

I can’t think of the last time I saw a Pokémon game go on sale, let alone half off.

1 minute ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

on Vita but I'll be damned to dust that thing off

For shame.

For shame.
Damn, quoted the wrong part, but whatever. I just bought Ultra Sun for $20 off someone. Didn't that just come out 2 years ago. Used is the way to go.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

How does Final Fantasy 6 on GBA compare to the SNES version? A local game store has a boxed copy for sale and I'm considering getting it. I have the PS1 version on Vita but I'll be damned to dust that thing off, plus I see the loading times of that version are bad. I also have it on my SNES mini but I prefer to play long ass RPGs on handhelds if I can.

The GBA version is decent. The translation is more faithful. So there is less whacky Woolsey translation with the dialogue. The game also has added content.

The BIG problem with the GBA port is the sound and music. It was poorly done. It is also a bit laggier. Especially with more sprites on the screen. Keep in mind this version was made for the original GBA. So the original colors of the game were brightened up a lot for it to appear better on a non-back lit screen. So the brighter colors may throw some people off.

If the sound and music will not bother you, I would say it is worth a pick up.

Edited by Twinkie

2 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

If the sound and music will not bother you, I would say it is worth a pick up.

Yeah I usually play with the sound off but will play it low every now and then. I don't wanna annoy my wife if I'm playing it next to her.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yeah I usually play with the sound off but will play it low every now and then. I don't wanna annoy my wife if I'm playing it next to her.

Why not put on some headphones but keep one ear earbud/headphone free?

Darkest Dungeon on Switch has been fun. I LOVE that they added such fine working touch screen controls for handheld mode, so it feels similar to how you can control it on PC/iPad. I may have to fine a good little stylus to use while playing on the go, but thankfully the standard controls via the buttons on the Switch identical to the PS4 version, so it was easy to get back in and play.

As tough as this game gets, I really love it. The atmosphere is just so good, the artstyle is great, and the risk vs reward in dungeon exploration is good. Some of the skill changes seem weird, like the Man-At-Arms not being able to use some of his buffs more than once, but I remember the game getting a big balance patch a while ago. It will take getting used too, but I think they have the option to play with older rules/settings from what I heard. At any rate, I’m sure I’ll get used to them and will enjoy the game all the same as I did on my PS4 and Vita. Totally missed this game and I’m glad I was gifted the Switch version for Christmas.

I’m naming all my characters after Denizens. So far Woodus the Crusader has been the only one to die for now, but his son Woodus Jr. (also a Crusader) has taken his place. Poor Woodus was killed by spiders, rather unfairly at that.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Why not put on some headphones but keep one ear earbud/headphone free?

I'll probably do that since I'll play it on my DS.

Still playing DQ XI : S, and still having a freaking blast. This game is going to get a third and fourth playthrough guaranteed. But for now, I'm keeping with my current goals and taking my time as I play through.

Trials of Mana is second. This little drop of heaven keeps getting better too. Very happy to have it as a Secondary. 

Diablo III. Hoping to jam a couple hours into this tomorrow, since I have the day off. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Still playing DQ XI : S, and still having a freaking blast. This game is going to get a third and fourth playthrough guaranteed. But for now, I'm keeping with my current goals and taking my time as I play through.

Trials of Mana is second. This little drop of heaven keeps getting better too. Very happy to have it as a Secondary. 

Diablo III. Hoping to jam a couple hours into this tomorrow, since I have the day off. 

I am just leaving Octagonia after the things that have gone on there, and am loving pretty much everything I'm seeing!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 10:29 PM, The Dog of Zahan said:

I am just leaving Octagonia after the things that have gone on there, and am loving pretty much everything I'm seeing!

Post Yggdrasil incident?

Oh, Grandia 2, how I forgot how to play you! Was battling the Eye of Valanr or whatever devil dude name's is and got smashed twice last night. Wake up & died a 3rd time today so decided to grind a bit. Did for maybe 40 minutes and had a ton of skill points & dumped them into these books of skill boosts. One was for increased HP. Maxed that out only to realize no one's HP went up. WTF. Oh, yeah, I've been playing 9 hours without equipping the skills I've been boosting via books.

Oops. He went down quite easily on battle #4.

So the newest trailer for Oddity (formerly called Mother 4) just popped up, and the game is looking pretty sweet.

Man, it’s nuts how long this game has been in development for. I’m glad the team behind it is still working on it and have kept the Earthbound/Mother inspiration intact. Hopefully we’ll see if release this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Post Yggdrasil incident?

Nope. Still in the first half of the game.  About to go to ruined Dundrasil I just the Rainbough yoinked by Rab and Jade, after the Vince Vanquish spider venom doping debacle.  I had a busy day yesterday, will get back on track tonight.