cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Got Hyrule Warriors for my oldest son. Since DQHTWTWATBB & DQH2 weren't local multi-player, it'll be fun to finally fight with him at the same time.

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I saw him mention that game actually. It sounds interesting.

He talked about it on his podcast, he made a Jimpression video about it, and then he discussed it again in his Games of the Year video. He’s known for shitting on games and the industry but what people don’t see unless they’re into his content is that, when he finds a game he loves, he’ll talk about it with such genuine passion, excitement, and joy and that’s just as fun to listen to. He made a whole video talking about how much he liked the Switch port of Alien: Isolation just recently.

I’m pretty bad at stealth games, but the concept is just so unusual and it does things differently from what I’ve seen. I’ll probably pop it in over the weekend.

8 minutes ago, eal said:

He talked about it on his podcast, he made a Jimpression video about it, and then he discussed it again in his Games of the Year video. He’s known for shitting on games and the industry but what people don’t see unless they’re into his content is that, when he finds a game he loves, he’ll talk about it with such genuine passion, excitement, and joy and that’s just as fun to listen to. He made a whole video talking about how much he liked the Switch port of Alien: Isolation just recently.

I’m pretty bad at stealth games, but the concept is just so unusual and it does things differently from what I’ve seen. I’ll probably pop it in over the weekend.

Hey, I feel ya on the stealth game skills. I’m a fan of Metal Gear Solid but I’m not very good at being stealthy in them. I had trouble with the opening level of Metal Gear Solid 2 for the longest time.

So I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on Switch now. I played it on PS4 before but want a simple RPG to put some time into over my holiday break. I have the original strategy guide to go with it as well. I'll likely play the Bravely Default games closer to when Bravely Default 2 releases. 

6 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

So I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on Switch now. I played it on PS4 before but want a simple RPG to put some time into over my holiday break. I have the original strategy guide to go with it as well. I'll likely play the Bravely Default games closer to when Bravely Default 2 releases. 

Man, and I thought you dropped Dragon Quest VII quickly. Bravely Default only lasted one post. 🤪

Maybe FF7 being on my Switch recommendation list was meant for you instead. I’m honestly surprised stuff like Link’s Awakening and Mario Tennis Aces weren’t recommended to me considering Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild were in my most played games list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Man, and I thought you dropped Dragon Quest VII quickly. Bravely Default only lasted one post. 🤪

Maybe FF7 being on my Switch recommendation list was meant for you instead. I’m honestly surprised stuff like Link’s Awakening and Mario Tennis Aces weren’t recommended to me considering Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild were in my most played games list.

Lmao, right? Idk I like what I played of it so far but just wasn't ready to play it. Idk I've been thinking about replaying 7 for awhile especially since I'm excited for the remake. 9 is on sale as well I might buy that and play it after.

I honestly wanna see what’s up with 8. The PS1-era graphics of the original game were hideous (I honestly think PS1 games aged the most ugly of all consoles) and the remaster looks much more palatable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eal said:

I honestly wanna see what’s up with 8. The PS1-era graphics of the original game were hideous (I honestly think PS1 games aged the most ugly of all consoles) and the remaster looks much more palatable.

Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross both still look pretty good. Played them for the first time back in 2015 and never really thought much about them PS1 games. I’d argue they’re the best looking games on the console.

40 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Lmao, right? Idk I like what I played of it so far but just wasn't ready to play it. Idk I've been thinking about replaying 7 for awhile especially since I'm excited for the remake. 9 is on sale as well I might buy that and play it after.

9’s a good one if you haven’t played it before. It’s one of my favorites from the series/favorite RPGs. I’m not a fan of the new versions of the game having a mobile looking menu interface while in battle, but the models do look nice.

I’m not sure if I’d put it above or below FF4 on my favorites from the series. Both are pretty equal to me since I enjoy them for pretty much the exact same reasons. Though 9 does get a point for Quina who is hands down one of the most versatile Final Fantasy characters thanks to his/her Blue Magic spell list.

Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross both still look pretty good. Played them for the first time back in 2015 and never really thought much about them PS1 games. I’d argue they’re the best looking games on the console.

The thing about the PS1 is that the better looking games still look okay. Like, Spider-Man isn’t the prettiest but it’s still playable. But the ugly games have aged the most horribly. Like expired milk.

Damn, Hyrule Warriors is like DQH on crack. There's so so much going on, I've got no clue haha. Seriously, multiple objectives in battles and then mini-objectives too and small golden spiders popping up. Omg. Loving it but I've got no clue so far.

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Damn, Hyrule Warriors is like DQH on crack. There's so so much going on, I've got no clue haha. Seriously, multiple objectives in battles and then mini-objectives too and small golden spiders popping up. Omg. Loving it but I've got no clue so far.

Looking forward to the Persona 5 equivalent.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Persona 5 equivalent.
Me too. At RPGamer we're writing about 3 games we're looking forward to in 2020. I'm writing about that, Rune Factory 4, and the Atelier Dusk trilogy.

2 hours ago, eal said:

The thing about the PS1 is that the better looking games still look okay. Like, Spider-Man isn’t the prettiest but it’s still playable. But the ugly games have aged the most horribly. Like expired milk.

Eh, agree to disagree. I think a lot of games look pretty good, and keep in mind I’m someone who didn’t grow up with a PS1.

Admittedly though I’m not super picky on graphics. Long as I’m enjoying the game, that’s all I care about. 😜

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I think this was a Zelda Christmas, because at my family gift exchange I received the DLC Expansion Pass for Breath of the Wild!

Man, I should have asked for Hyrule Warriors on Switch and then it REALLY would have been a Zelda filled Christmas even more! Might have to use some Christmas money to pick up a copy of the game along with the soundtrack for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I’ve been wanting to get that soundtrack pretty much since it released. That game had some damn good music.

Just returned to Cobblestone via Manglegrove in DQ11S on my Switch.  I'll likely have more to report once I hit new territory for me.  When I first played on PS4 I got as far as arriving in Gallopolis before my SO outpaced me and I surrendered the PS4 to him.  Now that I have DQ11 on Switch and he's moved on to The Outer Worlds on PS4, I can finish the game on my own time, without having to share that particular TV. 

I'm just too nice regarding the TV the PS4 is hooked to... I've not finished a LOT of games because I yielded the living room TV to my mate's PS4 games.  This makes me very glad we both ended up with our own Switches over time.  That's one less problem standing in my way of clearing my backlog.

So..I was planning on grabbing Outer Worlds as my Next PS4 game (When I finish Diablo III)....but now I'm winning Trails of Cold Steel 3 for like 16 bucks (Brand new, sealed) on an auction site. So, I may be seeing what all the hype is about here shortly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

So..I was planning on grabbing Outer Worlds as my Next PS4 game (When I finish Diablo III)....but now I'm winning Trails of Cold Steel 3 for like 16 bucks (Brand new, sealed) on an auction site. So, I may be seeing what all the hype is about here shortly. 

Nice. I got to chapter 3 in the first game and something else came out so I stopped playing it. I'd love to get back to it but I forget about it whenever I start a new RPG.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I also got the Link’s Awakening Switch remake and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I’ve been wanting to get Link’s Awakening for a while now, and almost bought it back at launch.

I am at a really tough spot for that game. I really want to play it, but I can't justify the price tag for it. Especially since the DX version is only $6 on the 3DS. It will be a long time before the game goes down in price to the point where I would want to pick it up. Never occurred to me ask for it as a gift.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I am at a really tough spot for that game. I really want to play it, but I can't justify the price tag for it. Especially since the DX version is only $6 on the 3DS. It will be a long time before the game goes down in price to the point where I would want to pick it up. Never occurred to me ask for it as a gift.

And that’s exactly why I asked for it as a gift! Did the same with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Yangus is sneaky like that. Sneaky like a fox!

• Like 1

I'm in on that. I don't play PS1 games that tried 3D. The last one I tried was 10 years ago: Legend of Dragoon. I never played FF7-9 becuase of that. PS 3D =@ss.

PS pixels aren't bad at all, they're nice!

So I dropped Final Fantasy 7 and I'm now playi-...nah I'm kidding been loving it on the Switch especially. I'm really looking forward to the remake. Even if part 1 is just up to when you leave Midgard that's a long time. Plus they said they might add additional stuff? I'm in. Probably gonna preorder from Gamestop to get the Shinra ID badge cause I'm a sucker for physical in-universe items.

4 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

So I dropped Final Fantasy 7 and I'm now playi-...nah I'm kidding been loving it on the Switch especially. I'm really looking forward to the remake. Even if part 1 is just up to when you leave Midgard that's a long time. Plus they said they might add additional stuff? I'm in. Probably gonna preorder from Gamestop to get the Shinra ID badge cause I'm a sucker for physical in-universe items.

Would’ve been funnier yet if you had been like, “So after some people talked about Final Fantasy IX I decided to start that. We’re jumping ahead, boys!” 🤪

• Like 1

Finished Pocket Monsters Green yesterday and now I'm not sure which RPG I got for Xmas I want to play next: Pokemon Shield or Persona 4. I'm WAY more familiar with Pokemon but the gen 8 games look really boring whereas I have little experience with the Persona series (finished Persona Q2 and played a bit of Persona Q and 5), but they look fun; doubt I'd get around to beating it though.

2 minutes ago, MegaSilverX1 said:

Finished Pocket Monsters Green yesterday and now I'm not sure which RPG I got for Xmas I want to play next: Pokemon Shield or Persona 4. I'm WAY more familiar with Pokemon but the gen 8 games look really boring whereas I have little experience with the Persona series (finished Persona Q2 and played a bit of Persona Q and 5), but they look fun; doubt I'd get around to beating it though.

Pokémon Shield was the most I’ve ever been engaged with a Pokémon game since Gen IV. Y, the Gen III remakes, and Moon were a drag. I wish I could say I blitzed through the story but I completely halted my progress to catch everything I could before moving on.

Would’ve been funnier yet if you had been like, “So after some people talked about Final Fantasy IX I decided to start that. We’re jumping ahead, boys!” 🤪

Got a feeling that's next. Depends on when I finish 7. Maybe Remake will be out by then or Tokyo Mirage will have just released. First world problems lemme tell ya.